Star Trek Discovery SUCKS.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
It doesn't bode well when the main character is universally disliked. Like I said earlier, she isn't a protagonist. That means this show is rudderless in terms of who the viewers can connect with. That's not a good sign.

It wouldn't be the first time a character was intentionally made unlikable from the start, so they can redeem the character more and more and people would come to appreciate and even love it. Harry Maybourne for the win.

It wouldn't be the first time a character was intentionally made unlikable from the start, so they can redeem the character more and more and people would come to appreciate and even love it. Harry Maybourne for the win.

:rolleye0014: Harry Maybourne was not a main character. I hate to pop your balloon but there is no "win" here.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The problem is there is NO character for the audience to identify with. The closest they had was Michelle Yeoh who they killed off.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
:rolleye0014: Harry Maybourne was not a main character. I hate to pop your balloon but there is no "win" here.

Did I say anything about MAIN character? Who says this only applies to main characters? I'm sure there's examples out there of main characters who were disliked at first and loved later on, but that wasn't my point. Maybourne was a dick at first and later he was still a dick but a likeable kind of dick. You can't say for certain right now that later on in Discovery Michael won't turn into a character you could appreciate. In fact, I think that is probably what the writers are gunning for.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
The problem is there is NO character for the audience to identify with. The closest they had was Michelle Yeoh who they killed off.

Perhaps Michael will be given command of a ship. There are after all many ships and not enough captains. :P

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Perhaps Michael will be given command of a ship. There are after all many ships and not enough captains. :P

So, after everything they have shown us so far about her, the bolded is not a problem for you? Sure, let's put the psychopath in command of a starship?

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
So, after everything they have shown us so far about her, the bolded is not a problem for you? Sure, let's put the psychopath in command of a starship?

Can't judge before I've seen it.

Did I say anything about MAIN character? Who says this only applies to main characters? I'm sure there's examples out there of main characters who were disliked at first and loved later on, but that wasn't my point. Maybourne was a dick at first and later he was still a dick but a likeable kind of dick. You can't say for certain right now that later on in Discovery Michael won't turn into a character you could appreciate. In fact, I think that is probably what the writers are gunning for.

I was the one who used the word "protagonist" which you responded to. A protagonist is generally the main character good guy who is in opposition to the "antagonist", who is the main bad guy. This is Storytelling 101. Here are some basic definitions of these terms which anyone who has completed a high school education in a Western country should know by heart:

late 17th century: from Greek prōtagōnistēs, from prōtos ‘first in importance’ + agōnistēs ‘actor.’

late 16th century: from French antagoniste or late Latin antagonista, from Greek antagōnistēs, from antagōnizesthai ‘struggle against’

***First in importance, bitch. First in importance, i.e. MAIN CHARACTER.

Now sit down. :daniel01:

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I was the one who used the word "protagonist" which you responded to. A protagonist is generally the main character good guy who is in opposition to the "antagonist", who is the main bad guy. This is Storytelling 101. Here are some basic definitions of these terms which anyone who has completed a high school education in a Western country should know by heart:

***First in importance, bitch. First in importance, i.e. MAIN CHARACTER.

Now sit down. :daniel01:

You may have used the word protagonist in a sentence (in which case congratulations to you, I'm impressed, here's a unicorn sticker...)
unicorn.jpg

But that doesn't mean that I can't give an example of a non-main-character in MY response to YOUR post. I was trying to keep the concept simple for your feeble mind.

You may have used the word protagonist in a sentence (in which case congratulations to you, I'm impressed, here's a unicorn sticker...)View attachment 33533

But that doesn't mean that I can't give an example of a non-main-character in MY response to YOUR post. I was trying to keep the concept simple for your feeble mind.

129.jpg

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Why do they have her talking so fast also . It's really weird to listen too . Well the 23 minutes I had to listen to her anyway . It's a real shame they have sgu'd the poop out of this new trek . I don't have the stomach to watch it .
So sad . All that hard work of building the sets . What a waste .
;(

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The sets are awful too. You can update things to reflect the pace of technology since TOS in the 60's without losing the aesthetic. They have TOTALLY lost the aesthetic - this is WAY too dark and the baroque/gothic look is offputting. And yes every character is hard to understand.

As to Michael, she is a symptom of a bigger issue, namely that the show has absolutely no one the audience can identify with and root for. Without SOMEONE who fills this role the audience quickly loses interest as the story becomes difficult to connect with.

Last edited:

ParagonPie

Well Known GateFan
Hi guys been a while.

I'm going to focus on a few things that bothered me quite a bit:
The main character is able to ignore the effects of space vacuum, even in a short duration. She did rapid decompression, held breath in her lungs instead of exhaling and kept her eyes open. Firstly the air inside her lungs would distend/distort her inners, the liquid on her eyes would be boiling away, and even under 6 seconds with a few more to access the door the other affects would be present too. Then she just waltz onto the bridge, like nothing happened. I mean was there a medical team with a fully suited A&E room just through that door?

Main character can ignore what is a lethal dose of radiation. Note the word lethal as in fatal as in she'll have another head growing from her.

While under the threat of Klingons she has to make a personnal call to her adopted Father, which is about the Klingons. Then storms onto the Bridge saying they need to fire back. If this message is so important why didn't she simply share it with the bridge for convincing the Captain instead of looking like some bloody war mongerer Just contact Sarek, put his hologram on the bridge and be like "Yeah, those Klingons were dicks, they only respond to violance."

Edit: I'll throw in this too. The events she references were 200 years ago, I mean cultures and societies can change over that length of time. 200 years ago the humans were coming out of world war 3, should the Klingons of fired first against such an aggressive self destructive species?

Oh yeah the main character commits an act of munitany. "Question chain of command and I'll remove you." Says the main character MOMENTS AGO QUESTIONING THE CHAIN OF COMMAND.

The Klingons speaking Klingon, all the bloody time. Right show that when they are around humans or other federation personnel, to show the difference in language and culture. Just have them speak English for christ sake.

And holy christ those bloody camera angles, where they filiming this on a bloody hill side? Was the entire studio sloping down? Maor lense flares!

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Hi guys been a while.

I'm going to focus on a few things that bothered me quite a bit:
The main character is able to ignore the effects of space vacuum, even in a short duration. She did rapid decompression, held breath in her lungs instead of exhaling and kept her eyes open. Firstly the air inside her lungs would distend/distort her inners, the liquid on her eyes would be boiling away, and even under 6 seconds with a few more to access the door the other affects would be present too. Then she just waltz onto the bridge, like nothing happened. I mean was there a medical team with a fully suited A&E room just through that door?

Main character can ignore what is a lethal dose of radiation. Note the word lethal as in fatal as in she'll have another head growing from her.

While under the threat of Klingons she has to make a personnal call to her adopted Father, which is about the Klingons. Then storms onto the Bridge saying they need to fire back. If this message is so important why didn't she simply share it with the bridge for convincing the Captain instead of looking like some bloody war mongerer Just contact Sarek, put his hologram on the bridge and be like "Yeah, those Klingons were dicks, they only respond to violance."

Edit: I'll throw in this too. The events she references were 200 years ago, I mean cultures and societies can change over that length of time. 200 years ago the humans were coming out of world war 3, should the Klingons of fired first against such an aggressive self destructive species?

Oh yeah the main character commits an act of munitany. "Question chain of command and I'll remove you." Says the main character MOMENTS AGO QUESTIONING THE CHAIN OF COMMAND.

The Klingons speaking Klingon, all the bloody time. Right show that when they are around humans or other federation personnel, to show the difference in language and culture. Just have them speak English for christ sake.

And holy christ those bloody camera angles, where they filiming this on a bloody hill side? Was the entire studio sloping down? Maor lense flares!

Sad, isn't it? :( And they have the GALL to call this Star Trek!

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Star Trek Discovery forever!

ParagonPie

Well Known GateFan
Sad, isn't it? :( And they have the GALL to call this Star Trek!

If they wish to do this as say, this is how the Federation-Klingon War happens, there are better ways. The first one comes to my mind is Babylon 5's In the Beginning, where the Minibari Cruiser comes in with gun ports opened as is their greeting tradition, the Human vessels detect an energy spike, see the weapons think it is an attack and respond in a panicked defense.

So here is how the scene should of gone down. Still have those Klingons trying to unite their respective clans together in that sector. The Federation vessel stumbles into this tradition, the blinding light incapacitates the Captain and other bridge crew while the first officer (with her Vulcan training) is able to resist sees this as a threat and retaliates in an effort to save the ship to what she thinks is an attack.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
If they wish to do this as say, this is how the Federation-Klingon War happens, there are better ways. The first one comes to my mind is Babylon 5's In the Beginning, where the Minibari Cruiser comes in with gun ports opened as is their greeting tradition, the Human vessels detect an energy spike, see the weapons think it is an attack and respond in a panicked defense.

So here is how the scene should of gone down. Still have those Klingons trying to unite their respective clans together in that sector. The Federation vessel stumbles into this tradition, the blinding light incapacitates the Captain and other bridge crew while the first officer (with her Vulcan training) is able to resist sees this as a threat and retaliates in an effort to save the ship to what she thinks is an attack.

Okay, but to get into it that deeply, I would have to ignore that there are actual windows on the bridge of these dumb new starships so there can be bright blinding lights, and there are the ridiculous new Klingons. I would have to just ignore that Michael is Spock's sister, and that Sarek melded with her and not Spock, and can contact her via telepathy over light years of space. I have to ignore that Michael got into an argument with the ship's computer to make it release her from the Brig, whose force fields can open holes...so she can shoot through the vacuum of space without passing out?

Um, nah.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Can't judge before I've seen it.

Why haven't you seen it? I think you would have a MUCH different perspective on it than you have now if you did.

ParagonPie

Well Known GateFan
Okay, but to get into it that deeply, I would have to ignore that there are actual windows on the bridge of these dumb new starships so there can be bright blinding lights, and there are the ridiculous new Klingons. I would have to just ignore that Michael is Spock's sister, and that Sarek melded with her and not Spock, and can contact her via telepathy over light years of space. I have to ignore that Michael got into an argument with the ship's computer to make it release her from the Brig, whose force fields can open holes...so she can shoot through the vacuum of space without passing out?

Um, nah.

Well my idea pretty much removes all of that. Yes you could say have the main character who was adopted by Vulcans, doesn't have to be Sarek, that is only there for namesake because writers feel the need to shoehorn already established characters in. As for the interstellar telepathy. No, I don't get that either. There would also be no conflict between Captain and First officer (so no dumb arse brig scene either), instead I'm allowing a situation to get out of hand and eventually escalate into full blown conflict.
I'm basically re-writing the entire scene/episode. The drama needs to naturally rise out, instead we have idiots doing idiotic things for the sake of advancing the idiotic plot.

Mistakes need to happen but for good reason, they need to spiral out of control. The big fleet battle wasn't needed, that is just clear almost movie esq trailer bait there. In fact it reminds me of this.