Star Trek Discovery SUCKS.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Just....

They have brought back Michelle Yeoh, only as an evil Phillipa Georgiou in their mirror universe, and there is weird stuff going on with Lorca, with a reveal about him that was just a huge fail. This show was already off the rails, and it has careened through the forest and burned, and they have dragged it back to the road and put mismatched wheels on it, scavenged from old tractors. Now it is limping along, pulled by a mule and a cow and a couple of dogs. :facepalm:. It is truly unwatchable even as just a scifi show. It has no resemblance to Star Trek whatsoever.

NO WAY this can last past this season! If they give it a third season, I will be very surprised.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I have to say that with the last two episodes the show is growing on me.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Oh the poor poppies have to haul that poop around !!!... Calling the ASPCA ... They could catch a canine std...!!!
;)

Just....

They have brought back Michelle Yeoh, only as an evil Phillipa Georgiou in their mirror universe, and there is weird stuff going on with Lorca, with a reveal about him that was just a huge fail. This show was already off the rails, and it has careened through the forest and burned, and they have dragged it back to the road and put mismatched wheels on it, scavenged from old tractors. Now it is limping along, pulled by a mule and a cow and a couple of dogs. :facepalm:. It is truly unwatchable even as just a scifi show. It has no resemblance to Star Trek whatsoever.

NO WAY this can last past this season! If they give it a third season, I will be very surprised.

Yeah, I heard they wrapped up the mirror universe thing, killed off several people and got rid of the magic spore drive in the process, which explains why it doesn't appear in ST canon. How convenient. :rolleye0014:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I have to say that with the last two episodes the show is growing on me.

Okay, well there has to be some kind of ointment or pill to kill the infection! I kept the show from growing on me by washing my hands with alcohol after using the remote, and also using eye bleach. :P

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yeah, I heard they wrapped up the mirror universe thing, killed off several people and got rid of the magic spore drive in the process, which explains why it doesn't appear in ST canon. How convenient. :rolleye0014:

Turns out that Lorca is an escapee from the mirror universe and always has been. Also he and Michael were supposed to be a couple (HUH????). Georgiou in her evil form is a mass murderer in the mirror. And the costumes they are wearing just further draw the hard line which separates this show from anything called Star Trek. There is no common ground in the show with Star Trek. I am seeing the desperate changes and re-writing in the show and I am convinced this is the last season. But I could be wrong.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Basically they are using the Mirror plot as a tool to rewrite the show because they are aware how poorly it has been received.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Basically they are using the Mirror plot as a tool to rewrite the show because they are aware how poorly it has been received.

THIS. We saw it in the last season of SGU as well. They have built the sets, spent the money on uniforms and done the casting. They are in salvage mode, and they are doing whatever they need to do in order to survive cancellation. I took a peek, and it is a massive fail. Not so much as a show, but as Star Trek.

I think you're right but am curious how much of this season was filmed and "in the can" before it premiered? Do we know when the mirror universe episodes were filmed? Did it happen after the lousy opening performance of this show?

I guess what I'm asking is did the writers realize this story was crap and tried to fix it before the show even aired? Or were/are they still filming while the show has been running and are scrambling to "fix" what they can?

In short, is this a reaction to the fan rejection of the show or did they realize there was a problem during the production phase?

Last edited:
THIS. We saw it in the last season of SGU as well. They have built the sets, spent the money on uniforms and done the casting. They are in salvage mode, and they are doing whatever they need to do in order to survive cancellation. I took a peek, and it is a massive fail. Not so much as a show, but as Star Trek.

This is why the show will get a second season -- they are heavily invested in it financially. That is the sole reason. It's certainly not due to the ratings. This is the same "Push forward" formula we saw in SGU and DEFIANCE. They had no other choice due to having invested tons of money, and in the case of SGU and STD, tons of franchise reputation (which translates to money) into these shows. I believe DEFIANCE was purely a case of having invested too much money to allow it to fail if that makes sense. (Didn't they invest over $200 million into it?)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
A big issue they cannot really get out of is the lead character is intensely unlikeable and borderline psychotic.

A big issue they cannot really get out of is the lead character is intensely unlikeable and borderline psychotic.

I still can't figure out why any writer would think it was a good idea to make the protagonist completely unlikable. Like I said much earlier, Michael isn't even an anti-hero, which is an archetype that can be likable and relatable to the viewers. And even if they try and soften her and make her more likable it's too late. Viewers have already formed a visceral reaction to her and that's not going to change no matter how desperately the writers try to retcon her.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
More like midichlorians.

So, let's be honest....if you weren't married and you were on a hypothetical date with Michael Burnham in the 23rd century...would you go to bed with her without having a phaser or a knife under your pillow? I wouldn't. I would have an issue standing on the edge of a precipice with me between her and the cliff. I would want to lock the bathroom door while taking a shower if she was in my home. I would start to think that all communications from her are actually just opportunities to triangulate my position to target some sort of weapon. :smiley-laughing021:

Seriously though, it turns out that Lorca is even more twisted than Burnham, and Michelle Yeoh is playing the part of a twisted captain in the mirror universe. Nobody is good in Discovery!

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Lest we forget Lorca is gone now.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Lest we forget Lorca is gone now.

You mean "gone". :) Captain Georgiou was also "gone". They had Lorca dissolve on the episode, but so what? This dumb show will do anything. Nothing happening in Discovery lines up with events of canon in Star Trek. Where does this leave Burnham and Discovery with Lorca gone? Bahahaha, this show is just a shambles. :facepalm: :anim_59:

So, let's be honest....if you weren't married and you were on a hypothetical date with Michael Burnham in the 23rd century...would you go to bed with her without having a phaser or a knife under your pillow? I wouldn't. I would have an issue standing on the edge of a precipice with me between her and the cliff. I would want to lock the bathroom door while taking a shower if she was in my home. I would start to think that all communications from her are actually just opportunities to triangulate my position to target some sort of weapon. :smiley-laughing021:

Seriously though, it turns out that Lorca is even more twisted than Burnham, and Michelle Yeoh is playing the part of a twisted captain in the mirror universe. Nobody is good in Discovery!
You mean "gone". :) Captain Georgiou was also "gone". They had Lorca dissolve on the episode, but so what? This dumb show will do anything. Nothing happening in Discovery lines up with events of canon in Star Trek. Where does this leave Burnham and Discovery with Lorca gone? Bahahaha, this show is just a shambles. :facepalm: :anim_59:

I've been thinking a lot about this lately. All the other Star Trek shows have had a core group of protagonist "good guys" that we could relate to and count on to be moral and upright in the face of galactic evil. But with STD there's none of that. Which STD character are we expected to root for each week? Michael? If so, why? She's a mutinous criminal that should rightfully be rotting in a Star Fleet prison. The fact that she got shunted onto Disentery doesn't change her history. It doesn't automatically absolve her of being a mutinous criminal. How are we supposed to relate to a protagonist like that?

Tripler

Well Known GateFan