Star Trek Discovery SUCKS.

Wait a minute...I want to make it clear that Netflix did NOT pay for a Season Two, and no Season Two has been greenlit as of this date. Netflix paid for Season One which is being aired in two chunks. They have not paid for a Season two and no negotiations are in progress for such funding. Just wanted to make sure that was very clear!

This was the article you linked:

https://www.polygon.com/tv/2017/10/8/16444242/star-trek-discovery-season-2-renewal

Nowhere in it does it say that Netflix paid for a Season Two, nor does it even confirm there will be a Season Two at all. Just sayin!

Well according to the ranking "expressions" somewhere between 12.5 million to 53.3 million people have subscribed to CBS All Access to watch Discovery so paying for season 2 should be chump change for CBS and/or Netflix. Clearly the show is a cash cow and based on the ROI they would be foolish to not do another season -- or twelve. ;)

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Exactly. And because nobody can verify those numbers, I am still not buying it. I just do not see the buzz out there which matches these numbers. Who is watching this show?
What's the 12 million number from? Is it from when the show aired on CBS for free following the football game? Or is it supposed to be subscribers to CBS All Access? If so then that means that they have gotten over 12 million new subscribers to their service. And if they have gotten over 12 million new subscribers to their service why aren't they shouting it from the rooftops?

Something's fishy indeed.
Well, how do you explain the other shows then? They seem to be pretty popular on netflix and have gotten renewed.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Actually IndieWire right in its article debunks these "ratings". In their rating if you have ten bloggers all blog saying STD is bad it counts them as ten viewers of STD whether they even have either Netflix and/or All Access or not. This is part of why Netflix itself has cautioned against believing these ratings.

I'll stick with a much more valid metric - new subscribers. This show for one season cost $108 MILLION. If it does not create at least $108 million dollars in new subscriptions (expressed annually) it is a fail. Now one could argue that the value of the show may also be in subscriber retention. So we'll be generous and say that in the case of Netflix they would also look at their metrics on people cancelling and for Netflix we'll cut the number in half. So in Netflix case they want to see at least 500,000 (probably more new subscribers). In All Access case they had almost no subscribers to start with and their per month charge is less than Netflix - so for them it is more like needing 1.2 million new subscribers to justify the cost.

Per the latest numbers we know of All Access gained 60,000 subscribers on premiere week. Assuming they kept them all (LOL!) they are still about 1.1 million subs in the hole.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Well, how do you explain the other shows then? They seem to be pretty popular on netflix and have gotten renewed.

Both Netflix and CBS have something to lose if Discovery continues to be clearly not worth watching. Netflix will have wasted their money and failed to use their investment to draw in new subscribers. Same with CBS All Access who arguably has even more riding on it's success. Why would either of them publish numbers casting it in a weak, dim light?

What I don't get, is why you are going right to the places where they expect to find you in order to spin their spin and post their ratings and viewership trickery. I have my online Trek fan groups I draw upon. I have my friends and associates who love Star Trek and scifi to draw on. Both you and I and anyone has access to all the INDEPENDENT Trek fan boards and even the comment sections on the shill sites like Screenrant and TV Guide (owned by CBS) are dragging this show. Where are you seeing it's success in real life?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Well according to the ranking "expressions" somewhere between 12.5 million to 53.3 million people have subscribed to CBS All Access to watch Discovery so paying for season 2 should be chump change for CBS and/or Netflix. Clearly the show is a cash cow and based on the ROI they would be foolish to not do another season -- or twelve. ;)

Of course! They must already be filming the second season. Perhaps they will give us another "big name" star they can trot out as a new character, then kill him/her off in two episodes. :) I still grin at the fact that they touted Michelle Yeoh as being the captain of the Shenzhou and they show her as being in the cast, but all she really did was be a guest star for two episodes before she got impaled by a Klingon.

The other shows listed were Netflix or Hulu numbers. The only one listed as CBS All Access is Discovery. I was trying to point out how confusing those rankings are. What are "expressions/impressions"? And why does Discovery have two different numbers, one at 12.5 million and the other at 53.3 million? What do those numbers mean? Are they actual subscribers to CBS All Access? If not, then what good are they? They are essentially meaningless if they don't apply to subscribers.

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
I have a work thing.. can't go into details. I know this for a fact, from high up in senior management, the amount of money a company has vested in a project will determine whether or not they abandon it or not when it starts to underperform. This means if they have dropped a ton in the bucket already they are more likely to wait it out to hope it will eventually turn around.

Now, I say this, fully disgusted at the writing and most acting in STD. But this is the truth and sadly the population of US and most countries are mostly idiots who will believe the press and buy the bullshit fake critics reviews and all this show needs is to become a small hit with a cult following to start gaining ground.

I would not count it out yet.

Last edited:

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Both Netflix and CBS have something to lose if Discovery continues to be clearly not worth watching. Netflix will have wasted their money and failed to use their investment to draw in new subscribers. Same with CBS All Access who arguably has even more riding on it's success. Why would either of them publish numbers casting it in a weak, dim light?

What I don't get, is why you are going right to the places where they expect to find you in order to spin their spin and post their ratings and viewership trickery. I have my online Trek fan groups I draw upon. I have my friends and associates who love Star Trek and scifi to draw on. Both you and I and anyone has access to all the INDEPENDENT Trek fan boards and even the comment sections on the shill sites like Screenrant and TV Guide (owned by CBS) are dragging this show. Where are you seeing it's success in real life?
I only go by the numbers and what people have written on reddit and the internet. Unfortunately, we have no other accurate metric to go by because we don't know what the numbers are - unless people know who works for CBS. However, I am not watching discovery.

Anyway, Seth has a great influence with Fox - Fox had flagged this video below but seth revoked the copyright flag

Last edited:

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
That is what I have donned the name of the space creature they tortured with the nipple clamps with the magic spores.
I just call it the blue nipple clamper bedbug spore shitting creature. Love how there getting sued for plagiarism ... Haha ... Ass of holes !!!
;)

heisenberg

Earl Grey

Here is a review that's finally bashes Discovery for being too boring. I am surprised that it's from NYtimes :P. It's EVERYTHING what we are seeing from the Klingons look like boogers to it being a clone of BSG.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/19/arts/television/star-trek-discovery-review-cbs-all-access.html

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
I love it! Star Trek Discovery = STD ! :daniel_new_anime021::daniel_new_anime021::daniel_new_anime021:

That reminds me of SGPoo!

TPTB of any series must find the fans/nonfans annoying....the new trek is reduced to an STD ! :icon_rotflmao::icon_rotflmao::icon_rotflmao:
Brings back the good old days of SGPoo!

It amazes me that none of TPTB realized that the initials would be STD. Every Star Trek show is known by its initials, TNG, DS9, etc. STD -- what a fitting moniker for this show to be known by. :icon_lol:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It amazes me that none of TPTB realized that the initials would be STD. Every Star Trek show is known by its initials, TNG, DS9, etc. STD -- what a fitting moniker for this show to be known by. :icon_lol:

They realized it after the fact, and the spin doctors kept trying to force the fans to call it DSC or ST: DSC and nobody is doing it. Everyone keeps using STD. It's hilarious!

heisenberg

Earl Grey

Well, guess what? It got renewed! So obviously it must be a success or Netflix has already paid for 2 seasons of this show. I don't see it being successful, because it's been delayed till 2019, but Netflix paid a pretty penny for this. Meh, doesn't bother them, it's not their money they've wasted.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...overy-renewed-season-2-cbs-all-access-1051003

Star Trek: Discovery is going to live long and prosper on CBS All Access.

The network's subscription video-on-demand platform has renewed Star Trek: Discovery for a second season.

"In just six episodes, Star Trek: Discovery has driven subscriber growth, critical acclaim and huge global fan interest for the first premium version of this great franchise,” said Marc DeBevoise, president and CEO at CBS Interactive. "This series has a remarkable creative team and cast who have demonstrated their ability to carry on the Star Trek legacy. We are extremely proud of what they’ve accomplished and are thrilled to be bringing fans a second season of this tremendous series."

Well, guess what? It got renewed! So obviously it must be a success or Netflix has already paid for 2 seasons of this show. I don't see it being successful, because it's been delayed till 2019, but Netflix paid a pretty penny for this. Meh, doesn't bother them, it's not their money they've wasted.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...overy-renewed-season-2-cbs-all-access-1051003

The renewal was a given due to the "sunk cost" of producing the first season. They've spent far too much money to call it quits at this point. We knew this was how it would play out.

*The comments are telling. You can spot the paid shills verses the actual fans. One guy points out how lame it is that CBS claims record subscription numbers but doesn't release the actual numbers. And other people lament how bad the show is. The contrast between Hollywood spin and genuine criticism is plain to see. :icon_lol:

Last edited:

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
They realized it after the fact, and the spin doctors kept trying to force the fans to call it DSC or ST: DSC and nobody is doing it. Everyone keeps using STD. It's hilarious!

I added it to Wikipedia.