Schwarzenegger To Take Break From Acting

S

Stonelesscutter

This!
And the fact that T3 didn't make much sense after T2, specially in that the Terminatrix was supposed to be much more advanced than Arnie, but in fact she got her butt kicked by him. And finally that they weren't consistent with her abilities to manipulate other computers, even getting to the point of 'magic' IMO.
Other than that, I agree with OM1: I learned to turn a blind eye to those problems and ended up really enjoying T3. As well as T4. :eek:
It's just that T1 and T2 were so brilliant that 'just' good T3 and T4 movies aren't going to cut it for many people I believe.

If you and Overmind have learned to turn a blind eye to the problems with T3, how come you can't do the same for SGU? :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
If you and Overmind have learned to turn a blind eye to the problems with T3, how come you can't do the same for SGU? :)

I dont see the problems with T3. All three films were science fiction, all three had a Terminator who was after John Connor, the stories were related to each other in a very big way. In the case of SGU, both SG-1 and SGA were episodic science fiction, whilst SGU was a serialized character drama (soap opera). The stories did not relate, the canon was not adhered to. It wasnt Stargate. T3 was still Terminator.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
Very good question!

I dont see the problems with T3. All three films were science fiction, all three had a Terminator who was after John Connor, the stories were related to each other in a very big way. In the case of SGU, both SG-1 and SGA were episodic science fiction, whilst SGU was a serialized character drama (soap opera). The stories did not relate, the canon was not adhered to. It wasnt Stargate. T3 was still Terminator.
:beckettu:
This for one, but to put it more simply: T3 and T4 were at least very entertaining, and SGU was boring. So it doesn't get a pass.

I'll do say, though, that it has gotten much better in season 2.5. You'll notice I haven't been slamming SGU as hard lately, if at all ;)

S

Stonelesscutter

Very good question!

This for one, but to put it more simply: T3 and T4 were at least very entertaining, and SGU was boring. So it doesn't get a pass.

I'll do say, though, that it has gotten much better in season 2.5. You'll notice I haven't been slamming SGU as hard lately, if at all ;)

I thought that was because you were tired of it and didn't think it would make much difference any longer.

Leo(T.C.K.)

GateFans Noob
I absolutely hated T3. The lame jokes, poor story, the ending, just all of that. Didn't see T4 as I said.
T3 wasn't directed by James Cameron so that might be the reason, but really, I saw it only once or twice and I didn't like it at all. Then again in comparison to SGU it would prolly stand much better.

I beleive it should have ended with Terminator 2, they had a good alternate ending to that one, too, which would disallow T3 from existing.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I absolutely hated T3. The lame jokes, poor story, the ending, just all of that. Didn't see T4 as I said.
T3 wasn't directed by James Cameron so that might be the reason, but really, I saw it only once or twice and I didn't like it at all. Then again in comparison to SGU it would prolly stand much better.

I beleive it should have ended with Terminator 2, they had a good alternate ending to that one, too, which would disallow T3 from existing.

Really? Is it studio-made like the alternate ending to I Am Legend (which is my default ending for that movie now :))?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Really? Is it studio-made like the alternate ending to I Am Legend (which is my default ending for that movie now :))?

If it is the one I am thinking of it was studio made. Basically it has Sarah Connor living to see John grow up and knowing for a fact that Judgment Day never happens.

BTW, I Am Legend is a superb film, and I also prefer the original ending (the one they used in the theatres was inserted because focus groups thought the original one too dark (why I don't know).

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
If it is the one I am thinking of it was studio made. Basically it has Sarah Connor living to see John grow up and knowing for a fact that Judgment Day never happens.

BTW, I Am Legend is a superb film, and I also prefer the original ending (the one they used in the theatres was inserted because focus groups thought the original one too dark (why I don't know).

I would like to see that. :)

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
As for Ahhnold...he's not gonna be canoodling with Maria anytime soon either! :P http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/42967...t/schwarzenegger-separates-wife-years/7969739 they have my sympathy...to split up after 25 has got to be very painful...you have shared so much of your lives together, had kids and tried to raise them well, and faced life's challenges together. A decade ago, Mr. Rac and I went through a really bad time and nearly split. But when push came to shove, we had shared too much & still cared too much to walk away. and here we are at nearly 30 years together and acting like newlyweds! :P Both Arnold and Maria have my sympathy. (I was not gonna make a comment about a "mixed" marriage...but personally i beleive politically mixed marriages are rough! if mr rac ever became a lib we'd be over!:P)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I have noticed! But I have also slowed down quite a bit on the SGU rants.

Very good question!

I agree. I actually saw an SGU episode that I LOVED (Gauntlet). Strangely enough, I ignored episodes 17, 18 and 19 and still havent seen them. Hence, no commentary on them. I have found so many other things to watch because of this forum, notably Primeval which you suggested. :). But, Stargate Universe is over and Stargate has been put into stasis for a bit. Ill be around then the reanimation sequence has been activated :biggrin:.

Im not encouraged about new Terminator movies, with or without Schwarzenegger. The story is circular and only one or two more segments need to be portrayed: The actual war between the Terminators/Skynet, the development of the time displacement device (and its use, three times, to close the canon), then the defeat of Skynet. Then its done. I hope they dont stretch it out into three or four movies. I was disappointed in T4. I think it needs to be redone and closer to the end of T3.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
I agree. I actually saw an SGU episode that I LOVED (Gauntlet). Strangely enough, I ignored episodes 17, 18 and 19 and still havent seen them. Hence, no commentary on them. I have found so many other things to watch because of this forum, notably Primeval which you suggested. :). But, Stargate Universe is over and Stargate has been put into stasis for a bit. Ill be around then the reanimation sequence has been activated :biggrin:.

Im not encouraged about new Terminator movies, with or without Schwarzenegger. The story is circular and only one or two more segments need to be portrayed: The actual war between the Terminators/Skynet, the development of the time displacement device (and its use, three times, to close the canon), then the defeat of Skynet. Then its done. I hope they dont stretch it out into three or four movies. I was disappointed in T4. I think it needs to be redone and closer to the end of T3.
They better just leave that corpse resting in peace and start with a new baby altogether.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Yeah, I liked Terminator Salvation also. I didn't care for Christian Bale's over acting though. He's ridiculously full of himself.

Was T3 the one with the chick terminator in it? The one with the lame ending?

Yeah. I remember reading articles where many wished T3 hadn't been made. I found that movie toooooooooooooooooooo lame. I'll watch Salvation 5 times consecutively with nothing but a barrel of popcorn and water before I'll sit through T3 one more time.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yeah. I remember reading articles where many wished T3 hadn't been made. I found that movie toooooooooooooooooooo lame. I'll watch Salvation 5 times consecutively with nothing but a barrel of popcorn and water before I'll sit through T3 one more time.

OMG! Why do so many Terminator fans hate that movie? I loved it as much as the others. Is it because it was a female Terminator? I thought it was great! Salvation is the one I hate.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
OMG! Why do so many Terminator fans hate that movie? I loved it as much as the others. Is it because it was a female Terminator? I thought it was great! Salvation is the one I hate.

I didn't mind the female terminator at all. The whole movie just seemed out of place and contrived. I felt the absence of Cameron's hands at the helm. The story wasn't bad but I didn't like its execution.

I'm not a big fan of Salvation, either. I just found it more palatable. The only thing I liked about Salvation was the first few moments of the T-800 scene, which shot me right back to 1984 for a moment.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Former California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger put his movie comeback on hold Thursday as he deals with fallout from his affair with his housekeeper and braces for what could be a costly divorce.
A statement from Schwarzenegger's office said the former Terminator star has asked his talent agency to put all his motion picture projects that are under way or being negotiated on hold until further notice.
"Gov. Schwarzenegger is focusing on personal matters and is not willing to commit to any production schedules or timelines," the statement said. "This includes Cry Macho, the Terminator franchise and other projects under consideration. We will resume discussions when Gov. Schwarzenegger decides."

The revelation that Schwarzenegger fathered a child with his housekeeper also set the stage for what could be a big-money divorce case that will stand out even in a city that has seen its share of made-for-the-tabloids matrimonial splits.

http://www.npr.org/2011/05/19/136474137/schwarzenegger-to-take-break-from-acting

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Former California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger put his movie comeback on hold Thursday as he deals with fallout from his affair with his housekeeper and braces for what could be a costly divorce.
A statement from Schwarzenegger's office said the former Terminator star has asked his talent agency to put all his motion picture projects that are under way or being negotiated on hold until further notice.
"Gov. Schwarzenegger is focusing on personal matters and is not willing to commit to any production schedules or timelines," the statement said. "This includes Cry Macho, the Terminator franchise and other projects under consideration. We will resume discussions when Gov. Schwarzenegger decides."

The revelation that Schwarzenegger fathered a child with his housekeeper also set the stage for what could be a big-money divorce case that will stand out even in a city that has seen its share of made-for-the-tabloids matrimonial splits.

http://www.npr.org/2011/05/19/136474137/schwarzenegger-to-take-break-from-acting

OMFG!!!!!!
Arnie slipped his terminator to the hired help and this is what is "newsworthy"???

Somtimes I really think the US just deserves reality TV :facepalm:

Jerry, Jerry!!

Mr. A

Super Moderator +

Now he'll really have to go back to acting after all those lawyer bills start pouring in and his ex (actually both of them) empty his bank account. :icon_lol:

Terran77

Captain Tightpants
OMFG!!!!!!
Arnie slipped his terminator to the hired help and this is what is "newsworthy"???

Somtimes I really think the US just deserves reality TV :facepalm:

Jerry, Jerry!!
Frankly, it's embarrassing that this is considered news-worthy. But not only is it because people love to cast down political leaders, it's also because his wife is pseudo-royalty (being one of the Kennedy heirs).

But IMO it's all just stupid.

We even had a snooty female politician latch on to this, saying in one of her tweets that "men should keep it in their pants, we need more female politicians"... as if female politicians are any better.