Sanctuary Ratings Discussion

Rocky89

GateFans Noob
Well, I believe Squall over ready stated that they were definitely moving the show back next season. But I would not hold my breath for anything other than the Wrestling lead in. :icon_e_wink: I bet, GF would know more about that.

As happy as I am, I still want the show back on Fri, and I'd be OK with Smackdown as it's lead in. :)

After 3 had a half years, the show always did good on Fri. Maybe not always great, but good. In S1 it had SGA as a lead in, in S2 it had SGU, and for the most part of S3, it had WWE, and it did good. But now, it's only starting to do good on Mon nights, and it's obvious this isn't working, and that show they moved to Fri in Sanctuary's place is getting worse ratings than Sanc ever did on Fri.

Squall, if you're out there, could you shade some light on this? :p

I rest my case!
People still want to watch Sanctuary, but now syfy knows what slot is worth putting things on and what isn't, and it won't cost anyone a show they love.

What Bastards............... :laughing:

Thanks Rocky :) Those are indeed official numbers - as Yoshi posted, TVbytheNumbers is a legit source:

Sanctuary ep319 "Out of the Blue" (06/13/2011)
- 1.201 million viewers
- 0.4/1 HH

Yes, that's just over 30% more viewers after last week saw a 40% increase. It looks like it took a while, but the fans finally found the show again on Monday. :joy:

Considering Sanctuary is airing against literally no competition, I'd say the comparisons to SGU are pretty unfair (that and SGU was still outperforming it on average). This is where Syfy can really do well; the the summer months where nothing is on the broadcasts networks. People go searching for shows and ones that wouldn't otherwise get a look in can build an audience. I can't even imagine how many people tuned into Warehouse 13 simply because it was the most interesting option available; it could well have tanked in the fall.

There are quite a few things that determines what keeps a show going. How much it costs to make.How much Skiffy pays for it. How much they can sell ads for. IF they can sell ads. What kind of reputation they have.

Look at it from a business point of view, and think of Sanctuary and SGU has 2 workers, and Syfy as a store. 1 worker (Sanctuary) who works for less is getting the store better business, whereas another worker (SGU) works for more money, but gives the store less business. Sanctuary was giving Syfy more than what it was taking from them, but SGU was taking more than what it was giving back.

Someone said that Syfy's strengths are in the summer, so why can't all their shows air then? And I hadn't thought of this until now, but, aren't Eureka and W13 still on hiatus, so the shows aren't airing a full season in the summer, but half a season? So, Yoshi, won't Eureka and W13 also have no competition? And, oh, Yoshi, what about the Stanley cup on Mon? I thought that would give the show a hit in the ratings.

To me, it's not fair that Sanctuary gets stuck on Mon alone, while Eureka will be airing at a separate time. Why can't Syfy air all their goos shows at one time? It just seems the timing sucks, and I feel Sanctuary isn't getting proper respect.

PS: Mr. A, where's the third row? :p

B

Backstep

As happy as I am, I still want the show back on Fri, and I'd be OK with Smackdown as it's lead in. :)

After 3 had a half years, the show always did good on Fri. Maybe not always great, but good. In S1 it had SGA as a lead in, in S2 it had SGU, and for the most part of S3, it had WWE, and it did good. But now, it's only starting to do good on Mon nights, and it's obvious this isn't working, and that show they moved to Fri in Sanctuary's place is getting worse ratings than Sanc ever did on Fri.

Squall, if you're out there, could you shade some light on this? :p

There are quite a few things that determines what keeps a show going. How much it costs to make.How much Skiffy pays for it. How much they can sell ads for. IF they can sell ads. What kind of reputation they have.

Look at it from a business point of view, and think of Sanctuary and SGU has 2 workers, and Syfy as a store. 1 worker (Sanctuary) who works for less is getting the store better business, whereas another worker (SGU) works for more money, but gives the store less business. Sanctuary was giving Syfy more than what it was taking from them, but SGU was taking more than what it was giving back.

Someone said that Syfy's strengths are in the summer, so why can't all their shows air then? And I hadn't thought of this until now, but, aren't Eureka and W13 still on hiatus, so the shows aren't airing a full season in the summer, but half a season? So, Yoshi, won't Eureka and W13 also have no competition? And, oh, Yoshi, what about the Stanley cup on Mon? I thought that would give the show a hit in the ratings.

To me, it's not fair that Sanctuary gets stuck on Mon alone, while Eureka will be airing at a separate time. Why can't Syfy air all their goos shows at one time? It just seems the timing sucks, and I feel Sanctuary isn't getting proper respect.

PS: Mr. A, where's the third row? :p

Eureka and W13 seasons start soon July 11 Eureka at 8, W13 at 9 and Alphas at 10, all on Monday night. If Sanctuary goes back to Fridays at 10, will it not be 'stuck alone' on Friday as it is on Monday now?

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan

Yeh Eureka and Warehouse 13 don't have much competition - that was my point. Those shows launched to big audiences because the summer afforded them the ability to do so; that is the time of year people seem to give Syfy's shows a chance. Friday was also a prime spot for sci-fi with the broadcast networks throwing softballs as they expect less of an audience then; only now have we seen it become genre night there.

Sanctuary really dodged the bullet by not being part of the SGU/Caprica tuesday experiment. What's very clear now is that there was no chance of those shows growing there; they should have aired in the summer to build up an audience (alas hindsight is wonderful). Sanctuary might never have got a 4th season if that last second move hand't occurred.

As for not airing Sanctuary with Warehouse 13 and Eureka; it's ratings are well below those shows. If you were going to choose one not to be part of the lineup it would(sadly) have to be Sanctuary.

S

Stonelesscutter

I'm not completely sure but I think Sanctuary never had SGA as a lead in.
Let me quickly check that...
After a little investigating I have to admit that of the last 10 episodes of SGA season 5 there were 9 that aired on the same dates as Sanctuary.
So you're probably right about that.
Sorry for doubting you. ;)

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
What was your case again, GF'76? :vala-newanime026:
The case I made over at GW and you Screencapped here mate, Syfy was experimenting with mondays with shows that were "safe" to do it with. Personally what I got from this experiment was that mondays will work fine for Syfy as thier new scriped drama night as long as the show that occupies the same timeslot as Castle has a lower level of expectation put on it. Of the 3 primetime slots, the only one to suffer horribly was that one hour, the other two were fine.

When viewers like a show, they will follow it around. Or maybe Sanctuary found a new fanbase on Mondays.
Exactly. I never bought into the whole "it's on a different night" line of BS. If you like a show, you watch a show, no matter what the night. The only real factor is the competition at the same time, and then it just becomes a question of "which show do I like more?" which has nothing to do with the networks, it is solely dependant on the individual viewer.

Just a little side note as well. Monday night RAW (WWE) was a 3 hour special this week, didn't look like the wrestling had any impact on sanctuary......... :D

S

Stonelesscutter

Exactly. I never bought into the whole "it's on a different night" line of BS. If you like a show, you watch a show, no matter what the night. The only real factor is the competition at the same time, and then it just becomes a question of "which show do I like more?" which has nothing to do with the networks, it is solely dependant on the individual viewer.

I don't completely agree with you that viewers follow a show no matter what. Most people have two operating modes, the workweek mode and the weekend mode. As soon as people get home from work on friday they let their workmood slide and slip into comfort mode. (assuming they don't work weekends ofcourse) In comfort mode they'd be far more inclined to think about what's on tv. On monday however they're likely to be more occupied with what they have to do the day after and the rest of the week. They'll usually go to bed earlier and have less time left after things like cooking, spending time with kids, spending time with spouse, spending time with pets and probably a bunch of other stuff too. So what I'm saying is that viewers of a show that used to be on friday will only follow the show on monday if they like it a lot and it fit's neatly into their schedule.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
I don't completely agree with you that viewers follow a show no matter what. Most people have two operating modes, the workweek mode and the weekend mode. As soon as people get home from work on friday they let their workmood slide and slip into comfort mode. (assuming they don't work weekends ofcourse) In comfort mode they'd be far more inclined to think about what's on tv. On monday however they're likely to be more occupied with what they have to do the day after and the rest of the week. They'll usually go to bed earlier and have less time left after things like cooking, spending time with kids, spending time with spouse, spending time with pets and probably a bunch of other stuff too. So what I'm saying is that viewers of a show that used to be on friday will only follow the show on monday if they like it a lot and it fit's neatly into their schedule.
I think you're missing the point, Stone. The bolded words are what makes the difference. We're not talking about viewers who find the show mildly interesting and will catch it when it happens to be on and they're home. When SG1 & SGA were on I'd even watch them if they aired Sunday morning at 6am. I'd fit my schedule around it, not the other way around. You never stayed home or postponed another activity for a TV show???
Those are the FANS of the show, and apparently Sanctuary has a few...

G

Graybrew1

There are certain shows that I would most definitely stay home and watch. I did for Scifi fridays every week. I loved having the three back to back shows and I considered it worth it. :biggrin:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan

I can see your point, but I would argue that worknights are more governed by routine than "comfort time". Friday nights you might be inclined to "channel surf" more to find new shows (which could be why alot of new shows will be premiering on fridays), sure. but if your routine is to come home, have dinner, have time with family and then pike out on the couch and watch the box till bedtime, it just becomes an issue of what you want to watch on any given night out of the availiable choices and if you have program clash, which one do you want to watch first or which one do you want to watch more.

Rocky89

GateFans Noob
Eureka and W13 seasons start soon July 11 Eureka at 8, W13 at 9 and Alphas at 10, all on Monday night. If Sanctuary goes back to Fridays at 10, will it not be 'stuck alone' on Friday as it is on Monday now?

Sanctuary was never alone on Fri, in S1 it had SGA, S2 it had SGU and for the most part of S3, it had Smackdown. All I ask for is to Syfy treat Sanctuary fairly, and I really don't see why they moved it to Mon with no lead in. That's just stupid. They'd better fix all this to the show, because I look at it as an insult to the show.

Yeh Eureka and Warehouse 13 don't have much competition - that was my point. Those shows launched to big audiences because the summer afforded them the ability to do so; that is the time of year people seem to give Syfy's shows a chance. Friday was also a prime spot for sci-fi with the broadcast networks throwing softballs as they expect less of an audience then; only now have we seen it become genre night there.

Sanctuary really dodged the bullet by not being part of the SGU/Caprica tuesday experiment. What's very clear now is that there was no chance of those shows growing there; they should have aired in the summer to build up an audience (alas hindsight is wonderful). Sanctuary might never have got a 4th season if that last second move hand't occurred.

I can see your point, but I would argue that worknights are more governed by routine than "comfort time". Friday nights you might be inclined to "channel surf" more to find new shows (which could be why alot of new shows will be premiering on fridays), sure. but if your routine is to come home, have dinner, have time with family and then pike out on the couch and watch the box till bedtime, it just becomes an issue of what you want to watch on any given night out of the availiable choices and if you have program clash, which one do you want to watch first or which one do you want to watch more.

As for not airing Sanctuary with Warehouse 13 and Eureka; it's ratings are well below those shows. If you were going to choose one not to be part of the lineup it would(sadly) have to be Sanctuary.

An article on GW talked about some factors that may have lead to SGU's cancellation, two reasons that the article talked about were the mid season break and the move to Tuesday. Syfy was going to move the show to Tuesday with SGU, but then changed their minds, and I think that the show could have been cancelled if it had been moved the, I mean look at it now. Why do something smart then, only to do a stupid thing later?

I would like to see the show back on Fri, with it's old timeslot and lead in, or it'd be treated fairly and air during the summer with the other shows. Question, what else will air with Sanctuary next season?

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Sanctuary was never alone on Fri, in S1 it had SGA, S2 it had SGU and for the most part of S3, it had Smackdown. All I ask for is to Syfy treat Sanctuary fairly, and I really don't see why they moved it to Mon with no lead in. That's just stupid. They'd better fix all this to the show, because I look at it as an insult to the show.
I have offered a reason on both here and GW as well Rocky (possibly Syfy as well, can't remember). Now, I don't mind if you don't believe me, it's only an unproven hypothisis anyway, but if you look at it, Sactuary has done better on mondays in the later timeslot than either SGU or BH without a lead in show, it even rose against a 3 hour WWE special, and thats saying ALOT. At this point you are now asking, not for Sanctuary to be treated fairly, but to be mollycoddled, and the show doesn't need it, it's a good show (great show) and will stand on it's merits (and it has proven it can). :)

An article on GW talked about some factors that may have lead to SGU's cancellation, two reasons that the article talked about were the mid season break and the move to Tuesday. Syfy was going to move the show to Tuesday with SGU, but then changed their minds, and I think that the show could have been cancelled if it had been moved the, I mean look at it now. Why do something smart then, only to do a stupid thing later?
Mid season breaks are par for the course these days, I doubt we will ever go back to the "full season" model until such time as the USA is in a better finacial spot than it is now. As to them doing something stupid now, I don't think they have at all. They jiggered with a show that there was an insignificant risk to. Did it hurt to see Sanctuary's ratings drop?? Sure a little, but we KNEW it would be back for S4 anyway, so not that much.

I would like to see the show back on Fri, with it's old timeslot and lead in, or it'd be treated fairly and air during the summer with the other shows. Question, what else will air with Sanctuary next season?

Why not put a new show in the friday slot to build an audience instead like Sanctuary got to begin with, Sanctuary has its fanbase and the L+7 numbers prove they are loyal, that would be fair right..........??
Again you don't want whats "fair" you want what you feel is best for Sanctuary. I don't want the show to go away either, but there is a world of difference between what is fair and what is best.

Rocky89

GateFans Noob
I have offered a reason on both here and GW as well Rocky (possibly Syfy as well, can't remember). Now, I don't mind if you don't believe me, it's only an unproven hypothisis anyway, but if you look at it, Sactuary has done better on mondays in the later timeslot than either SGU or BH without a lead in show, it even rose against a 3 hour WWE special, and thats saying ALOT. At this point you are now asking, not for Sanctuary to be treated fairly, but to be mollycoddled, and the show doesn't need it, it's a good show (great show) and will stand on it's merits (and it has proven it can). :)

Yes, but someone on GW and TVbythenumbers that the reason the show is doing fine now, is because it has, like no other show to compete against, and it was doing worse than SGU and Caprica on the Mon slot for a time, too long. I'm sure W13 and Eureka will have lead ins, so I think Sanctuary deserves one too. I feel like Sanctuary is on Syfy, but not really apart of it like E13 and Eureka. It seems the two shows could get a real easy ride in the summer, while Sanctuary was just moved around as an experiment. :(

Some thing think that if it stays on Mon, in the fall, the bad ratings will come back, when the bigger shows come back. At the VERY least, Syfy could have given the show a lead-in instead of just leaving it alone on a night.

Mid season breaks are par for the course these days, I doubt we will ever go back to the "full season" model until such time as the USA is in a better finacial spot than it is now. As to them doing something stupid now, I don't think they have at all. They jiggered with a show that there was an insignificant risk to. Did it hurt to see Sanctuary's ratings drop?? Sure a little, but we KNEW it would be back for S4 anyway, so not that much.

Mid season breaks are silly and does more harm than good, especially for casual viewers who only watch the show a little, and wouldn't after a 4 month break. IMO, it hurt the ratings a LOT, a WHOLE LOT. Someone on TVbythenumbers had this to say about the ratings, even though they were OK.

I think it’s a miracle that Sanctuary has over one mil in ratings, given that the incredibly inept programmers at Syfy moved it one week after its winter hiatus to Monday nights where it has No lead in and is the only new program SYFY has on that night currently; and to add insult to injury, SYFY has the nerve to advertise that Mondays will soon be POWERFUL Mondays because of Eureka, Warehouse 99 and the dismal new program the Alphas. What a slam to Sanctuary and that alone confirms how they;ve abandoned it, Sanctuary is the powerful Monday show and those other ;;; Eureka has been good, I can’t abide Warehouse 67 though it apparently appeals to those who like soft Scifi, as there;s little sf in it. I still bet SYFY is in for disappointment when its list of Powerful monday programs limps in.

Why not put a new show in the friday slot to build an audience instead like Sanctuary got to begin with, Sanctuary has its fanbase and the L+7 numbers prove they are loyal, that would be fair right..........??
Again you don't want whats "fair" you want what you feel is best for Sanctuary. I don't want the show to go away either, but there is a world of difference between what is fair and what is best.

I've always felt that Urban Legends stole Sanctuary's time slot, and every time I saw a promo saying "watch Sanctuary on it's new night" I also got annoyed by it because I've always known it wasn't a good night. I don't think advisors care about the L+7 numbers, from what I read. If Syfy cares about Sanctuary, they should move it home in S4, or live it on Mon during the summer just like the other shows. Again, I want the show to be apart of Syfy, not just on Syfy.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +

Sanctuary is a strong enough show to stand on its own. I think we've just seen that. Let it show a few good episodes and give the fans time to find it and the ratings will come. We don't need any of these lead-in tactics and what have you.

Exactly. Green for putting it so eloquently.

Yes, but someone on GW and TVbythenumbers that the reason the show is doing fine now, is because it has, like no other show to compete against, and it was doing worse than SGU and Caprica on the Mon slot for a time, too long. I'm sure W13 and Eureka will have lead ins, so I think Sanctuary deserves one too. I feel like Sanctuary is on Syfy, but not really apart of it like E13 and Eureka. It seems the two shows could get a real easy ride in the summer, while Sanctuary was just moved around as an experiment. :(

Some thing think that if it stays on Mon, in the fall, the bad ratings will come back, when the bigger shows come back. At the VERY least, Syfy could have given the show a lead-in instead of just leaving it alone on a night.

Mid season breaks are silly and does more harm than good, especially for casual viewers who only watch the show a little, and wouldn't after a 4 month break. IMO, it hurt the ratings a LOT, a WHOLE LOT. Someone on TVbythenumbers had this to say about the ratings, even though they were OK.

I think it’s a miracle that Sanctuary has over one mil in ratings, given that the incredibly inept programmers at Syfy moved it one week after its winter hiatus to Monday nights where it has No lead in and is the only new program SYFY has on that night currently; and to add insult to injury, SYFY has the nerve to advertise that Mondays will soon be POWERFUL Mondays because of Eureka, Warehouse 99 and the dismal new program the Alphas. What a slam to Sanctuary and that alone confirms how they;ve abandoned it, Sanctuary is the powerful Monday show and those other ;;; Eureka has been good, I can’t abide Warehouse 67 though it apparently appeals to those who like soft Scifi, as there;s little sf in it. I still bet SYFY is in for disappointment when its list of Powerful monday programs limps in.

I've always felt that Urban Legends stole Sanctuary's time slot, and every time I saw a promo saying "watch Sanctuary on it's new night" I also got annoyed by it because I've always known it wasn't a good night. I don't think advisors care about the L+7 numbers, from what I read. If Syfy cares about Sanctuary, they should move it home in S4, or live it on Mon during the summer just like the other shows. Again, I want the show to be apart of Syfy, not just on Syfy.
Rocky, if you care to read some of our SGU threads, you'll notice we've debunked a lot of stuff people post at GW. As a matter of fact, their loss of credibility and the tolerance by the mods there towards misinformation and even incitement of anger towards a network (while sparing the real culprits) is one of the reasons we don't put much weight into what is posted there and why many members have abandoned the site and joined here and elsewhere instead. And that applies specially to front page articles by Darren, if that's what you were referring to.
So, I wouldn't worry too much about those theories that have very little more to their core than to explain the perfectly normal failure of a show that wasn't good or popular enough for the fans - SGU. Sanctuary will do fine regardless.

Having said that, I agree that Fridays are better because when sports are on (NBA, Football), people do tend to watch their team live and DVR the drama. So I think the show will do slightly better on Fridays. But at any rate, just quit moving the damn thing around!

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
SGU didn't crack the 1.2 mil mark until the finale on mondays and never upticked the way Sanctuary has Rocky. Does it have less competition, sure, but again, it's live numbers just don't matter right now, it has been renewed. :) As to it being moved around, well, coulda been Tuesdays.............. :P

I'm sure it will get a lead in show Rocky, most likely SD at the moment. :D

Sure mid season breaks suck, I doubt anyone would argue that they actually help a show, but I'll take a show with stupid breaks in the middle over no show at all.

Did you read that and take it seriously??? :D
It's as bias as all get out, no objectivity in it at all, just another "screw Syfy" post. Sanctuary is a successful show, Syfy wants successful shows, I very much doubt that they will be experementing with it again with a 13 ep order for S4. If they do, then I'll worry, until then, I'm really not worried.

UL didn't "steal anything", it was quite possibly moved to fridays because on monday it may have been running at a loss and it's a way for Syfy to recoup thier costs on the show. Has UL been renewed for a S2?. Syfy obviously had confidence in Sanctuary because they did renew it, sure it's a smaller order, but to be honest I think thats better for sanctuary anyway, less chance to have "filler" eps. Have a little more faith in the show Rocky, I do :)

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
Yep. No reason to change that one. Smackdown is probably the one show Syfy won't touch because of the high ratings/profitability - and the fact that it draws in fresh viewers for the network.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Yep. No reason to change that one. Smackdown is probably the one show Syfy won't touch because of the high ratings/profitability - and the fact that it draws in fresh viewers for the network.

I have every confidence Sanctuary will go bact to fridays, not because it *needs* it, because I really don't think it does, but because it will do the best there and will only tie up the slot for 13 weeks, thats only 25% of the year leaving Syfy free to build new shows with SD as a lead in for the rest. :)

Rocky89

GateFans Noob
SGU didn't crack the 1.2 mil mark until the finale on mondays and never upticked the way Sanctuary has Rocky. Does it have less competition, sure, but again, it's live numbers just don't matter right now, it has been renewed. :) As to it being moved around, well, coulda been Tuesdays.............. :P

If Syfy is trying to air their shows in the summer, why didn't Sanctuary air in the summer? I want it to either.

1. Go back to Fri, with a proper lead in, maybe SD?
2. Stay on Mon, but in the summer. It seems the show does well on Fri, and Mon in the summer.

as much as I HATE to say it, we should wait and see how the finale goes. :p But yeah, I still want it back on Fri, because I in order for them to air next summer, the show will be off the air for a year. I would love for SD to be there lead in again, it's change the routine of giving it a new lead in every year. :)

Sure mid season breaks suck, I doubt anyone would argue that they actually help a show, but I'll take a show with stupid breaks in the middle over no show at all.

I have a friend who can't stand them, and she said she's never come across another network that's done this anyway. IMHO, they are silly, and the shows are better off without them, and I believe S5 of SGA almost or didn't have a mid season break.

Did you read that and take it seriously??? :D
It's as bias as all get out, no objectivity in it at all, just another "screw Syfy" post. Sanctuary is a successful show, Syfy wants successful shows, I very much doubt that they will be experementing with it again with a 13 ep order for S4. If they do, then I'll worry, until then, I'm really not worried.

It seems Eureka and some other shows will get a 13 ep order, so the episode cut back doesn't seem to be because of how the show has done, if other shows are getting cut back. What do you want to have happen in S4? I already gave you my answers. :)

Wait, what if S4, goes back to Fri, and if it has a mid season break, it airs in the summer? :)

UL didn't "steal anything", it was quite possibly moved to fridays because on monday it may have been running at a loss and it's a way for Syfy to recoup thier costs on the show. Has UL been renewed for a S2?. Syfy obviously had confidence in Sanctuary because they did renew it, sure it's a smaller order, but to be honest I think thats better for sanctuary anyway, less chance to have "filler" eps. Have a little more faith in the show Rocky, I do :)

UL bombed on it's first night, it got, like, a 0.4, the ratings for it have been so-so, and I know if it's gotten a S2, since the ratings for it haven't been out for 3 weeks. I like the filler eps, they're fun. Some of the best SG-1 eps were filler eps, like, WoO and Upgrades. I have a lot of faith in the show, and I want it to be safe. :)

Btw, Syfy was answering questions on twitter today, and someone asked-

@2kkb324 @Syfy outlook for sanctuary future?

@Syfy Q) @kkb324 outlook for #sanctuary future? A) Good! Already been renewed for another season.

Oy, that seems to be all Syfy can say. :p

G

Graybrew1

What else needs to be said?
It is renewed and they are moving it next season. That is really all they can do for right now.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
What else needs to be said?
It is renewed and they are moving it next season. That is really all they can do for right now.

And the ratings have rebounded quite well showing that quality programming will find an audience whenever it is scheduled! :D