Sanctuary Ratings Discussion

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
Man Sanctuary's really bombing - going down even when SGU went up?

Seriously where did all its fans go?

G

Graybrew1

Next's week ep preview looks really good. They are bringing back Tesla, if that does not bring the numbers back up, then that show might have something to worry about next year.

S

Stonelesscutter

I've been a Sanctuary fan since the beginning, but I'm starting to be more and more disappointed with it as of late.
I'm generally easy going in regards to imperfections I can accept in shows. I figure most of the viewing audience isn't as forgiving and chooses to spend their time with something else.

Terran77

Captain Tightpants

Tesla should help, but they've had some so-so storylines lately. The whole underworld thing ended with a "meh"... Tesla's always good for a ratings pump-up, though.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I already said I think there are too many filler episodes in a row, especially given the poor SyFy decision to show the season in two haves, breaking it where they did. Basically the show feels like it is wandering, and it is wandering because we're coming back into the middle of a season with the gap making it feel like it should be the beginning, where typically arcs are launched.

Interestingly, Urban Legends is only getting about 1.09 in the slot where Sanctuary was pulling in the 1.4+ range. So SyFy basically cost itself 400,000 viewers in this switch.

Hopefully Tesla means we're close to the second half of the season arc which they keep hinting at in previews then we get filler instead.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Exactly. I'm expectly the later time slot plus the previews looking good to give it a mild uptick. If people really like the episode that should give it another mild uptick next week.

THX1138

GateFans Member
Exactly. I'm expectly the later time slot plus the previews looking good to give it a mild uptick. If people really like the episode that should give it another mild uptick next week.

What later time slot? Isn't it still on at 10pm?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The real evidence of the stupidity of SyFy's decision comes to light with the ratings of Urban Legends, which they put into Sanctuary's slot. Basically, Urban Legends has been pulling around 1 million viewers and a .3 18-49. Sanctuary was getting 1.4 million viewers and a .4 18-49. So, Sanctuary lost 600,000 viewers in the move and SyFy viewership in its old slot went down 400,000 viewers.

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
That's why I low-balled this episode. Friday's at 10 was the best slot for this show.

B

Backstep

Next week is the season finale for The Event, when thats over i may watch Sanctuary live on Mondays.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
The real evidence of the stupidity of SyFy's decision comes to light with the ratings of Urban Legends, which they put into Sanctuary's slot. Basically, Urban Legends has been pulling around 1 million viewers and a .3 18-49. Sanctuary was getting 1.4 million viewers and a .4 18-49. So, Sanctuary lost 600,000 viewers in the move and SyFy viewership in its old slot went down 400,000 viewers.

Here's the thing though, they are trying to build a monday lineup for themselves with products that don't matter when they air. SGU was already axed and Sancutuary has already been renewed. I actually think it is a good idea, despite the ratings.

G

Graybrew1

Here's the thing though, they are trying to build a monday lineup for themselves with products that don't matter when they air. SGU was already axed and Sancutuary has already been renewed. I actually think it is a good idea, despite the ratings.

I don't know, if they keep it there and the ratings never rebound , won't that hurt it's chances for a season 5?

McSheppard

GateFans Noob
Maybe. It is really just the time slot? Was SGU not getting around the same ratings regardless of day and hour? Is not the prevalent argument here that the ratings for SGU were independent of its time slot? So why should it be any different for Sanctuary?
On the other hand, I cannot be convinced that the quality of this show dropped with the move in such a spectacular coincidence.

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
I don't know, if they keep it there and the ratings never rebound , won't that hurt it's chances for a season 5?

I don't know - ratings always seem to get goofy when they start moving shows around.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan

I doubt it. As Brian has said, I don't think it will stay on mondays for S4. It's being Used and abused right now simply to build a monday name for Syfy. It's the least riskiest way for Syfy to do it as well, despite all the "waaaahhh Syfy is killing Sanctuary" shit going on.

G

Graybrew1

I doubt it. As Brian has said, I don't think it will stay on mondays for S4. It's being Used and abused right now simply to build a monday name for Syfy. It's the least riskiest way for Syfy to do it as well, despite all the "waaaahhh Syfy is killing Sanctuary" shit going on.

Tell me about it, that is all you hear anymore. :icon_e_wink:

From your lips....

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Maybe. It is really just the time slot? Was SGU not getting around the same ratings regardless of day and hour? Is not the prevalent argument here that the ratings for SGU were independent of its time slot? So why should it be any different for Sanctuary?
On the other hand, I cannot be convinced that the quality of this show dropped with the move in such a spectacular coincidence.

SGU ratings were bad in Season 1 when it was a Friday show. Season 2 it started on Tuesdays (usually not a bad ratings night for SyFy) but they fell further resulting in cancellation. Hence they sent it to Mondays to run its episodes out.

Sanctuary on the other hand was performing well in its timeslot. Then they suddenly moved both its day and its time (1 hour earlier) and the ratings drop was immediate, so it correlates directly. They also split the season into two halves and let a long time elapse between them. The result was that the second half of season three came on then immediately got switched without any real advertising - this has made the episodes feel unrooted because the immediacy of the prior episodes is missing.