Sanctuary Ratings Discussion

THX1138

GateFans Member
Actually they did. The NBA playoffs had unusually high viewership this year (due in part to the NFL labor issues and the Miami Heat hype machine) and as they were also on cable they directly impacted things. However, that does not prove the silly GW article correct at all.

NBA playoffs averaged 7.4 million viewers over about 3 hrs

That isn't high.

The total competition against Sanctuary was about the same on both nights thereby negating the argument that no competition (ie the broadcast mid season scheduling had ended) made the ratings rise and ipso facto that SGU would have survived if it hadn't been moved.

Sanctuary dropped at least partly because they shuffled it around with no plan and no advance notice. It appears it took the viewers about 4 weeks to catch up with it as far as Live viewing goes (the Live +7 numbers stayed consistent pre and post move). I would also credit the Sanctuary fan base who went out (in places like Facebook) and beat the bushes big time to get people to watch Live instead of recording.

If you want to assign SyFy a goat label here it would be for foolishly trying to hard to keep a poorly made reality show (Urban Legends) on the air. They moved that to Sanctuary's Friday slot, but it never pulled Sanctuary numbers. Basically SyFy forfeited about 4-500.000 Friday night viewers by trying too hard to salvage that show.
I wasn't delving into possible reasons for Sanctuary's performance, I was commenting on Darren's continued faulty logic and him trying to use any old excuse to once again declare that SGU was killed because of the day change.

However since you have gotten off track perhaps you might want to bring some accuracy into your arguments/claims.

Let's start with "the Live +7 numbers stayed consistent pre and post move". Actually they didn't and here's the figures I have been able to gather so far :
Season 2
1 - 2,400,000 added 550,000
2 - 2,200,000 added 434,000
3 - 2,200,000 added 506,000
4 - 2,300,000 added 694,000
5 - 1,970,000 added 550,000
6 - 2,100,000 added 439,000
7 - 2,000,000 added 561,000
8 - 1,880,000 added 552,000
11 - 1,900,000 added 496,000
12&13 - 1,900,000 added 407,000
Season 3
11 - 1,796,000 added 579,000
13 - 1,500,000 added 632,000
15 - 1,120,000 added 364,000

As for the foolishness of Syfy, do you mean only in regard to Sanctuary or to Syfy's bottom line because if it is the latter then you are probably wrong mainly because you seem to be looking at viewer numbers when in reality what matters is advertising dollars/net profit. I'd be willing to bet actual money that Urban Legends costs nowhere near the nearly 2 million per ep price tag that Sanctuary has and therefore could be pulling in a substantial profit on Friday nights for Syfy.

There are many factors involved in how a particular show performs but the show itself is always one of, if not, the most important. Outside factors can cause major anomalies but that is why it is important to look at things over a large span of time to detect trends.

The cases for SGU and Sanctuary are very different even though they were both moved from a Friday timeslot. SGU was a failing show from it's first half season whereas Sanctuary was a relatively steady performer with a slowly declining viewership. SGU was moved with plenty of warning and advertising (well plenty in Syfy terms ;) ) whilst Sanctuary was moved without much warning within a week and fans were "advertising" the change initially until Syfy got their act together the following week. There are other differences but those are the top ones.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Aaahh I see.
There was a boycot going on a couple of weeks ago.
It was probably in response to SGU having been cancelled half a year ago.
I get it now.

Nah, it's the POWAHH of WHR, they are responsible for breaking the Evil Boycott of MILLIONS of people upset with Syfy.
A quick scan of google search shows 87000 hits for WHR
The same quick search returns 209000 hits for SGU sucks
Hmm, I'm sensing a disparity here.............................

S

Stonelesscutter

Nah, it's the POWAHH of WHR, they are responsible for breaking the Evil Boycott of MILLIONS of people upset with Syfy.
A quick scan of google search shows 87000 hits for WHR
The same quick search returns 209000 hits for SGU sucks
Hmm, I'm sensing a disparity here.............................

Apparently they're real big on twitter. :P

THX1138

GateFans Member
For your, err, consideration.........
http://wormholeriders.com/blog/?p=25526

ROFLMAO

There was a boycott of Sanctuary?!?!?!? These fanboys with websites are seriously delusional.

Anyone with an ounce of sense knows that you get the same small handful of nutters wailing "Boycott Syfy" whenever something happens that they do not like and those with sense consequently ignores them. Obviously Ken and his "reporters" at his "news agency" take lunatic posts as gospel and ignores cold hard facts like Syfy's numbers overall haven't changed outside of normal seasonal variations so hard evidence of a Syfy boycott is not present. Whatever. Do we really expect anything remotely like the truth from a site that claims SGU got 2 mil viewers in Canada?

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
ROFLMAO

There was a boycott of Sanctuary?!?!?!? These fanboys with websites are seriously delusional.

Anyone with an ounce of sense knows that you get the same small handful of nutters wailing "Boycott Syfy" whenever something happens that they do not like and those with sense consequently ignores them. Obviously Ken and his "reporters" at his "news agency" take lunatic posts as gospel and ignores cold hard facts like Syfy's numbers overall haven't changed outside of normal seasonal variations so hard evidence of a Syfy boycott is not present. Whatever. Do we really expect anything remotely like the truth from a site that claims SGU got 2 mil viewers in Canada?

Actually dude, IIRC Syfy's numbers are up, but that was only one (unconfirmed) source, but yeah..........
I don't think WHR is refering to Sanctuary having a specific "boycott" against it, more like the station in general.

THX1138

GateFans Member
Actually dude, IIRC Syfy's numbers are up, but that was only one (unconfirmed) source, but yeah..........
I don't think WHR is refering to Sanctuary having a specific "boycott" against it, more like the station in general.

According to what I've seen (private summary data), the last few months are marginally up over last year's figures but I tend to be cautious with small variations, we're talking about 3%.

You might want to check with RoX over at GW, I know she occasionally posts stats on Syfy's weekly average so she'd probably have actual published figures.

Tropicana

Council Member
O-M-G, so did not know there's a party going on here on this thread, I thought it was solely based on Sanctuary's Ratings, but then again, the discussion thus far from what I have skimmed is technically linked to the series' ratings.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
O-M-G, so did not know there's a party going on here on this thread, I thought it was solely based on Sanctuary's Ratings, but then again, the discussion thus far from what I have skimmed is technically linked to the series' ratings.

Yeah, it's a bit of a tangent, but it is related to ratings as it is thier claim to have "broken" the boycott...........

Rocky89

GateFans Noob
Some good stuff has been said here. :p I hope the finale tonight gives some good ratings, even if it's a little higher, I'll be happy. Either way, I still want the show back home on Fri next season, and it's the best chance it has for a S5. If it airs on Mon in the fall, those bad ratings will come back, and I don't want an entire season of that. :(

B

Backstep

Some good stuff has been said here. :p I hope the finale tonight gives some good ratings, even if it's a little higher, I'll be happy. Either way, I still want the show back home on Fri next season, and it's the best chance it has for a S5. If it airs on Mon in the fall, those bad ratings will come back, and I don't want an entire season of that. :(

I doubt syfy will change the night SD is on, to me wrestling is not a lead in. maybe next season syfy Canada will change the night to Monday to match syfy US, then you will have back your matching airing night.

Rocky89

GateFans Noob
I doubt syfy will change the night SD is on, to me wrestling is not a lead in. maybe next season syfy Canada will change the night to Monday to match syfy US, then you will have back your matching airing night.

Um, no, I want the show back on Fri, simple as that. ;) It's what's best for the show. :)

B

Backstep

Um, no, I want the show back on Fri, simple as that. ;) It's what's best for the show. :)

All alone at 10pm? Least on Mondays syfy can place proper scifi/fantasy lead in(s). IMO Friday at 10pm, any show placed there is an apple surrounded by oranges. Watching a show live is the only way to support, DVR or downloading does not help a show.

Rocky89

GateFans Noob
All alone at 10pm? Least on Mondays syfy can place proper scifi/fantasy lead in(s). IMO Friday at 10pm, any show placed there is an apple surrounded by oranges. Watching a show live is the only way to support, DVR or downloading does not help a show.

All alone? It could have SD as a lead-in again, and on Mon it has/had no lead-in. If the show is left on Mon in the fall, when all the bigger shows come back, then it'll be downhill for the ratings again. :( At this point, no one I know still thinks leaving it on Mon is a good idea, because it's not.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
All alone? It could have SD as a lead-in again, and on Mon it has/had no lead-in. If the show is left on Mon in the fall, when all the bigger shows come back, then it'll be downhill for the ratings again. :( At this point, no one I know still thinks leaving it on Mon is a good idea, because it's not.

The later monday slot seems to be ok for it
What is the lineup on moday nights in the states in the fall?

Rocky89

GateFans Noob
The later monday slot seems to be ok for it
What is the lineup on moday nights in the states in the fall?

At the end of the episode, when Syfy announced Sanctuary would be back in the fall, I got a little worried that they would say Monday. Also, during the commercials, I got a little annoyed that they were promoting Eureka and maybe W13, and they called Monday the most powerful night if the week. WHY couldn't Syfy have aired Sanctuary in the summer with those, why? I feel that Sanc isn't getting the fair deal, and Eureka and W13 could have an easy ride in the summer.

The only, ONLY thing Syfy can do to redeem themselves in my eyes is put Sanctuary back on Fri where it belongs. And I know I said I wouldn't mind seeing the show in the summer, because it seems Syfy has better ratings there, but I don't think fans or the cast and crew would want to wait, like, a year to air the show again.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
At the end of the episode, when Syfy announced Sanctuary would be back in the fall, I got a little worried that they would say Monday. Also, during the commercials, I got a little annoyed that they were promoting Eureka and maybe W13, and they called Monday the most powerful night if the week. WHY couldn't Syfy have aired Sanctuary in the summer with those, why? I feel that Sanc isn't getting the fair deal, and Eureka and W13 could have an easy ride in the summer.

The only, ONLY thing Syfy can do to redeem themselves in my eyes is put Sanctuary back on Fri where it belongs. And I know I said I wouldn't mind seeing the show in the summer, because it seems Syfy has better ratings there, but I don't think fans or the cast and crew would want to wait, like, a year to air the show again.

Can you answer my question please.