Recommendation Thread

S

Stonelesscutter

Her beauty does nothing for me. For some reason her personality turns me off, plus she's over rated as an actor and that also turns me off. Besides, she has crazy eyes. You just know she's bucket loads of psycho. No wonder her husband dumped her. He probably got tired of sleeping with his eyes open.

I only know her from that movie and I'd do her. :)

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
You guys have already mentioned all the ones I wanted to. :'(
Skyline wasn't all that bad I have to say, but the ending was completely ridiculous and unsatisfying.
If I may suggest a non scifi movie that has Bruce Willis in it I shall mention R.E.D.
It's about a bunch of retired CIA agents being hunted upon by their former employer but taking the fight back to them.
If you like special agents and Bruce Willis it's a must see.
Just yesterday I saw a movie called The Lovely Bones.
It's about a girl that's killed by a guy in her neighbourhood.
Not a jolly topic but somehow the movie grabbed me and kept me watching till the end.
I don't think I want to watch it again though.
Let me take a quick look through my collection for some scifi stuff...
Hmmm... I see War of the Worlds which hasn't been mentioned here and ofcourse everybody knows what it's about so I need not summise it.
Minority Report - About a special police division that arrests murderers before they commit the actual murder, starring Tom Cruise.
A.I. (Artificial Intelligence) - About a boy who turns out to be a robot purchased by a family because they'd previously lost a child.
Armageddon - Bruce Willis is an oil driller that goes into space to destroy a giant meteor on a collission course with earth. (sounds ridiculous don't it?)
Deep Impact - Another meteorite (actually comet) collides with earth story.
Dune !!! - Why hasn't anyone mentioned this?! This is awesome. Connaisseurs will probably crucify me for this but I especially like the mini tv-series version of it starring William Hurt. Spicey. :)
Back to the future trilogy - Need I really explain?
The Fly - A scientist builds a teleportation device and accidentally gets merged with a fly.
Terminator movies - Just don't watch the 4th one cause it sucks big furry balls.
Paycheck - About an invention which allows the builder to see into the future where he watches himself get killed leading to an action based plot.
Apollo 13 - Not scifi, more like just sci. :) Great movie though about the Apollo 13 space mission. Make time for this coz it's a long ass movie.
Fantastic Voyage - A team gets minituarized to embark on a trip inside someone's body. If I recall correctly based on a Jules Verne story.
The Time Machine - The name says it all. Apparently there's an older and a newer movie, I only know the newer one and find it very watchable.
The Core - The earths core get's destabalised and has to be restabilised to prevent everything from dying.
I Robot - I love this movie featuring Will Smith as a police officer investigating a murder which he believes to have been committed by a robot which is deemed to be impossible.
Short Circuit 1 & 2 - Bout a robot with character.
THX 1138 - The name should be interesting enough for you to go find out for yourself what it's about. :P
Star Trek 1 through 11 - Duh.
Star Wars 1 through 6 - More duh.
Planet of the Apes - I prefer the five old movies but I guess the newer remake is okay.
The 6th Day - A Schwarzenegger movie about cloning.
Predator 1 & 2 - Schwarzenegger beats the crap out of some nasty ass aliens.
New Predator movie - More of the nasty ass aliens kidnap people to use them ass prey in a hunting game on some other planet.
Johnny Mnemonic - Hmmm... Keanu Reeves... based in future... hmmm...
X-Men 1 through 4 - Bitching movies about mutated humans with special powers. Maybe not really sci but definitely fi.
Serenity - The movie that follows the Firefly series
Robocop 1 through 3 - No explanation necessary.
Starship Troopers 1 through 3 - Buggy aliens plan to destroy earth but after gruesome splattering around of bodyparts on both sides eventually get their asses handed to them on a plate.
Judge Dredd - Probably not classified as scifi by most people but I like it.
Demolition Man - Stallone demolishes things in future together with Wesley Snipes.
Independence Day - Everybody knows it.
Total Recall - Schwarzenegger kicks butt on mars.

Let me know if you want to know more. :)
Ha! Starship troopers.. "Would you like to know more" where's the button then?

While were on subject of great non-scifi movies.
I would suggest watching...

Das Experiment - About an experiment with a group of people divided into convicts and security staff that eventually goes out of control. It's good even though it's in German. ;)
Perfume - About a guy who turns into a serial killer to create the perfect perfume. Sounds wicked don't it?
The Cube - People wake up inside some weird structure without any recollection of how they got there and get subjected to gruesome traps.
The Game - Not gonna spoil it, just watch it. ;)
Stigmata - A movie with a religious subject that captures the attention. You should see it.
Sleepers - About a group of men who were abused when they were children and decide to have their revenge.
Basic - A surprising movie with Samuel L. Jackson and John Travolta.
Amos & Andrew - Nicolas Cage and Samuel L. Jackson do it together.
Seven Years in Tibet - Great movie that just happens to feature Brad Pitt.
Scent of a Woman - Al Pacino's best performance.
Mr. and Mrs. Smith - Cool special agent action comedy with Brad P. and A. Jolie.

dude you and i have almost the exact same recomedations list the difference being im to lazy to type mine out :P

ill add

Mahatma gahndi (movie) to that non scifi list of yours. saw it yesterday 4 hours of a great performance by ben kingsley.

and how bout this one? a bit of an oldie but i think it still holds up today.

Blue Thunder - Roy Sheider super Helicopter MAYHAM!

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I only know her from that movie and I'd do her. :)

And I suspect she would do you -- without even knowing your name, she's just that kind of gal. ;)

Just don't get attached and for the love of God don't let her move in with you! Dude, look at her eyes, they're crazy! She just reeks of being unstable. She's got "restraining order" written all over her!

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

dude you and i have almost the exact same recomedations list the difference being im to lazy to type mine out :P

ill add

Mahatma gahndi (movie) to that non scifi list of yours. saw it yesterday 4 hours of a great performance by ben kingsley.

"Starship Troopers" is a damn good movie. The CGI in it is actually very good. I feel remiss in that I haven't gotten around to reading the book yet (I think it's part of a series).

Oh yeah, I know it's more of a "chick flick" but I've always liked "Starman" with Jeff Bridges and Karen Allen. I believe John Carpenter directed it. It was good, albeit a bit cheesy at parts, but over all good.

ParagonPie

Well Known GateFan
"Starship Troopers" is a damn good movie. The CGI in it is actually very good. I feel remiss in that I haven't gotten around to reading the book yet (I think it's part of a series).

Oh yeah, I know it's more of a "chick flick" but I've always liked "Starman" with Jeff Bridges and Karen Allen. I believe John Carpenter directed it. It was good, albeit a bit cheesy at parts, but over all good.

The movie starship troopers is very different from the book. Particularly the director (Paul Verhoeven) took a more satirical stance, which he does very well actually especially with all the blatant propaganda throughout the entire movie, it is funny I love it. The book is different in the sense it set the tone for how military science fiction should be done, in particular the actors who played the Colonial Marines in Aliens were told to read the book to get a better understanding of 'future soldier'. :)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
The movie starship troopers is very different from the book. Particularly the director (Paul Verhoeven) took a more satirical stance, which he does very well actually especially with all the blatant propaganda throughout the entire movie, it is funny I love it. The book is different in the sense it set the tone for how military science fiction should be done, in particular the actors who played the Colonial Marines in Aliens were told to read the book to get a better understanding of 'future soldier'. :)

Yeah I've heard lots of good things about the book. I'm an avid reader and it's on my list, just haven't gotten to it yet.

If it was the template for the military style in "Aliens" then I'll probably like it a lot.

I, too, liked the satirical style of the movie. I know some people thought it a bit cartoonish with the voice overs and the recruitment commercials and stuff like that, but I thought the style was spot on for how it should have been. I heard the sequel was garbage though so I haven't seen it yet. Yay or nay?

ParagonPie

Well Known GateFan
Yeah I've heard lots of good things about the book. I'm an avid reader and it's on my list, just haven't gotten to it yet.

If it was the template for the military style in "Aliens" then I'll probably like it a lot.

I, too, liked the satirical style of the movie. I know some people thought it a bit cartoonish with the voice overs and the recruitment commercials and stuff like that, but I thought the style was spot on for how it should have been. I heard the sequel was garbage though so I haven't seen it yet. Yay or nay?

The second movie is just bad, the third is better, but when comparing it to the first neither of them compare. Even worse when the CGI in the first movie is actually better than the latter two.

S

Stonelesscutter

ill add

Blue Thunder, isn't that one a bit like Airwolf?

S

Stonelesscutter

And I suspect she would do you -- without even knowing your name, she's just that kind of gal. ;)

Just don't get attached and for the love of God don't let her move in with you! Dude, look at her eyes, they're crazy! She just reeks of being unstable. She's got "restraining order" written all over her!

Move in with me hahahahahahah.
Have I never mentioned that I live in a 9 square metres wooden cabin?
I doubt I'd have room for her suitcase. :P

OMNI

inded it is. i loved it as a snot nosed barly teen :P
paul verhoven is one of my fave directors.

Blue Thunder, isn't that one a bit like Airwolf?
its the same era yes but they are 2 wildly diffrent concepts. however comparing the Airwolf TV seriers to the Bluthunder tv series (followed the movie) airwolf def had the upperhand ;)

S

Stonelesscutter

inded it is. i loved it as a snot nosed barly teen :P
paul verhoven is one of my fave directors.

its the same era yes but they are 2 wildly diffrent concepts. however comparing the Airwolf TV seriers to the Bluthunder tv series (followed the movie) airwolf def had the upperhand ;)

Paul Verhoeven. He's Dutch you know. :D

You same to be into chevrons these days. Are you feeling okay? ;)

OMNI

Paul Verhoeven. He's Dutch you know. :D

You same to be into chevrons these days. Are you feeling okay? ;)
i know ;) he also directed Robocop great movie aswell ;)
gotta love the dutch ;) i need to go back there this summer.

and yeh :P im good just got into the color green and was bored so made some sigs and avatars you know how it is :P

and if i even look at your avatar i become dizzy :P

S

Stonelesscutter

There's this new member here that calls herself poodlelover.
She asked me if I could make her an avatar of a poodle jumping through a stargate.
Do you think you could do something like that? You're great with the modelling and animations.
Also if I managed to do it I would probably be too tempted to have the stargate disengage with the poodle halfway through effectively slicing it in half.
You know me. :P

OMNI

She asked me if I could make her an avatar of a poodle jumping through a stargate.
Do you think you could do something like that? You're great with the modelling and animations.
Also if I managed to do it I would probably be too tempted to have the stargate disengage with the poodle halfway through effectively slicing it in half.

naw i couldnt do that as i know absolutley JACK about animated GIF images :(

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Verhoeven can do decent work (Total Recall for example, also Robocop). Unfortunately sometimes he can't resist forcing his own opinions into his films, often to their detriment. Starship Troopers is a prime example, as he turns the social and political themes from the book on their heads. He even admitted he didn't read the book.

That to me is a director crossing a line. If you're making a movie based on someone else's work IMHO there is an obligation to at least be true to the themes and messages of that work. Just inserting whatever you like while keeping the publically recognized titles and such is garbage, and similar to why we criticize SGU.

S

Stonelesscutter

naw i couldnt do that as i know absolutley JACK about animated GIF images :(

Dude it's just a bunch of frames played in series. With all your talent you should be able to work it out in a jiffy.
Besides you said that you're bored. So jump in. :)

G

Graybrew1

All depends on what you want out of a film.

Avatar has pretty CGI but a poor script with terrible characterization. Plus the depiction of the military is offensive. Really FernGully and Dances with Wolves did it better.

I admit , I was completely sucked in by the mind blowing special effects. Sometimes I just like to be entertained.

G

Graybrew1

Ewww. Too gross But very funny.
:laughing: