Recommendation Thread

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Been looking for some sci-fi movies to watch. Would appreciate any recommendations and a little spoilerfree summary so I know what it's about. I tried to watch some movies using some top 100 list things but ended up watching a lot of crappy films. I stopped after Hardware; I did not care about Hardware, that freaking chick screamed, no shrieked, half the time. Very grating. Anyways would appreciate any recommendations, don't mind foreign films either. Also fantasy films as well would be appreciated.

Hell just make this a general recommendation thread for everyone, and the rest of us reading can pick and choose.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
One film that's not on that list is Moon (I didn't see it there) and that is definitely a movie worth checking out! Sunshine is already there and well worth watching too if you haven't done so already. A bonus is that it has one of the best sci fi movie soundtracks (though not THE best).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFvX1a7Yxh4
EDIT:
Since you didn't mind foreign movies I'd recommend The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (and the two other films in the series). I know that you didn't care for some parts of the books, but some things you stated that you didn't like, had to be removed (like Blomkvist being such as ladies man) due to lenght.
And I know that you didn't find the fact that Blomkvist and Salander taking down a secret intelligence operation to be very believable, but it's not completely without precedent.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IB_affair
Granted it is nowhere near as bad as in the books, but still... It shows that you can come a long way by just being journalist.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Gatefan, those lists are extensive and none of them give a little synopsis so I know what they're about. I've tried watching lists before and wish I had a little summary of what I was going to watch. But mostly I'm asking you guys because you guys are sci-fi fans.

ESA, I've watched Moon, that was solid acting. And Sunshine, it started off so well then became this derivative attempted horror which I really disliked.

I watched all of those movies as well, they were awesome, granted there might have been some things lost in the translation for me. The girl who played Lasandra was perfect for the role. Yes, they toned down Blomkvist and it came out nicely. Oddly, I found that I enjoyed the last two movies over the last two books.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Gatefan, those lists are extensive and none of them give a little synopsis so I know what they're about. I've tried watching lists before and wish I had a little summary of what I was going to watch. But mostly I'm asking you guys because you guys are sci-fi fans.

ESA, I've watched Moon, that was solid acting. And Sunshine, it started off so well then became this derivative attempted horror which I really disliked.

I watched all of those movies as well, they were awesome, granted there might have been some things lost in the translation for me. The girl who played Lasandra was perfect for the role. Yes, they toned down Blomkvist and it came out nicely. Oddly, I found that I enjoyed the last two movies over the last two books.

Mzzz
Pick a movie or series or two and I can give you a brief rundown via memory if you wish!

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
You've mixed genres, mostly looking for sci-fi and/or fantasy but I'll pick a few.

Nightwatch, Daywatch, Outbreak-You have Twilight-Xanadu, The Dark Crystal, Dragonlance-I can't believe you have Twilight-Dreamcatcher, Firestarted, Riding the Bullet-I still can't believe you have Twilight.

Ok, that's a few.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Baha, you mixed Genre'a as well, Xanadu is a "dance movie" (a la saturday night fever) starring Oliva Newton John :laughing:

Nightwatch/Daywatch are the first two movies based on a Russian author's "fantasy world" It is set in the modern day, but the backstory is that for thousands of years the two armies of light and dark have been warring for dominance over the world. In time the war ground to a halt and and both sides declared a truce in which they would devide the day into the night and day and at each time thier respective power would be dominant. Something then happens to disrupt the balance and the war looks as if it is about to either re-ignite or be ended once and for all. The movies are in Russian with subtitles and they can get a bit confusing as the action is pretty fast and furious in parts (and, umm, "messy"). AFAIK, the third movie has not yet been released :(
Rating: 8/10

Outbreak is your typical "end of the world via plauge" type flick, imagine "The Stand", without the religious overtones, and thats pretty much what it is, nothing special.
Rating: 5/10

Dreamcatcher is a psychological thriller about a bunch of childhood friends who can read eachothers thoughts. The movie is set when the kids have grown up and every year they get togeather to renew thier childhood bonds. this time however, "something" has come to destroy them.
Rating: 7/10

Firestarter is about a young girl who's parents were subjected to experiments with Psychogenic drugs in thier college days. The father can "push" people into doing things mentally and the mother has telikinetic powers. The child herself is a Pyrokenetic. The main story revolves around thier attempts to avoid capture by the organization that conducted the experiments, thier eventual capture and the organizations attempts to get "charlie" (the little girl) to either join the organization or be killed as a threat .
Rating: 8.5/10

The Dark Crystal is a very early "fantasy muppet movie", done by Jim Henson. The basic premise is that thier are two races of beings (light and dark) and they are trying to save what is left of a race known as the "gelflings" and it is the story of how "the last gelfling" finds another and thier struggle against the evil Skecksies. It's hard to write too much without giving away too much info on this one.
Rating: 10/10

Dragonlance is based on the series of books Written by Margret Weiss and Tracy Hickman. In this world, the gods have punished the people for thier arrogance and withdrawn from the world. The main characters are a group of friends who after a year of traveling alone have come back togeather as they promised, each with different information leading to the idea that another great war against evil is on the horizon, yet there are also rumors that healing magic has come back into the world, a sure sign of the gods possible return. The first movie (and only one so far) covers the first book in the series. If you are a fan of "high fantasy" you will like this
Rating: movie 7.5, books 10

Oh, Twilight, I am married ya know, not all these DVD's are mine......
Just the good ones :laughing:

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Sweet, thanks! I'll watch a few of them, Night/Daywatch, Firestarter, and Dark Crystal sounds good, maybe will try dragonlance. lol xanadu, I thought it was alieny and picked it.

I'm going to watch Pandorum, Event Horizon and maybe the 28 ones and have watched the other ones.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Sweet, thanks! I'll watch a few of them, Night/Daywatch, Firestarter, and Dark Crystal sounds good, maybe will try dragonlance. lol xanadu, I thought it was alieny and picked it.

I'm going to watch Pandorum, Event Horizon and maybe the 28 ones and have watched the other ones.

Something to bear in mind though
Nightwatch/daywatch are very much in the "modern dark & gritty" style (not SGU D&G though :D ), Dark Crystal is fairly "oldish" and it shows, don't expect "farscape" levels of puppetry/animatronics and the main character in firestarter is played by Drew Barrymore, pretty much straight after ET was made. It's also an adaption of a Steve King novel, and most of them unfortunately don't translate well onto screen, but if you like SK, you should be alright.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
Since you enjoyed the 'Dragon Tattoo' movies, I'd recommend Snabba Cash (Easy Money) which is another great Swedish crime film. You better watch it before the Hollywood remake with Zac Efron comes out. :puke:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guuiDfwulc4
There no DVDs out with english subtitles but you could probably download it from somewhere. If that doesn't work out, you could always use stagevu.

Red Mage

Boney
Firestarter is about a young girl who's parents were subjected to experiments with Psychogenic drugs in thier college days. The father can "push" people into doing things mentally and the mother has telikinetic powers. The child herself is a Pyrokenetic. The main story revolves around thier attempts to avoid capture by the organization that conducted the experiments, thier eventual capture and the organizations attempts to get "charlie" (the little girl) to either join the organization or be killed as a threat .
Rating: 8.5/10

Stay away from the sequel. SciFi aired a sequel mini series to Firestarter starring the girl from the Might Ducks films. It was quite bad. I would specifically mention why it sucked so bad but it spoils the original film/novel and I can't get spoiler tags to work for some reason.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Stay away from the sequel. SciFi aired a sequel mini series to Firestarter starring the girl from the Might Ducks films. It was quite bad. I would specifically mention why it sucked so bad but it spoils the original film/novel and I can't get spoiler tags to work for some reason.

heh, I'd mindbleached that out :D

heisenberg

Earl Grey

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Might I suggest "Millenium" with Cheryl Ladd

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097883/

Yes it's from 1989 and yes it's a bit dated and no I haven't watched it in a few years but I recall that I liked this one a lot. It is sci-fi and has a pretty cool story to it. Cheryl Ladd does a good job in her role but Kris Kristofferson is horribly miscast. If you can get past the fact that he's in it chances are good you'll like the movie.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
I tried watching Millenium but maaaaan it was so slow, got halfway through but I'll try it again later but I get the feeling you liked the movie for the same reason I liked Entrapment, lol.

Pandorum was pretty interesting. Was hoping for a bit more towards the end with possible exploration.

Ok gatefan, I watched both Nightwatch and Daywatch, Nightwatch was kinda interesting and had potential but Daywatch was a big wtf for me.
To me, this was a long drawn out chaotic pointless reset button.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I tried watching Millenium but maaaaan it was so slow, got halfway through but I'll try it again later but I get the feeling you liked the movie for the same reason I liked Entrapment, lol.

Pandorum was pretty interesting. Was hoping for a bit more towards the end with possible exploration.

Ok gatefan, I watched both Nightwatch and Daywatch, Nightwatch was kinda interesting and had potential but Daywatch was a big wtf for me.
To me, this was a long drawn out chaotic pointless reset button.

Don't forget there is supposed to be a third movie which may fix things up a bit better. I myself found it a bit "all over the place" but I put that down to the subtitle/language barrier.

Watch dark crystal next :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Might I suggest "The Hidden" with Kyle McLaughlin

The Hidden was a cool little movie with Kyle McLaughlin as an alien entity hunting down another one. They can possess bodies, and the movie is chock full of very cool moments and humor as well as action. Its a great popcorn movie. :)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093185/

Here is the car chase from the movie. Its science fiction! You just have to see it to understand how this chase fits in.

[video=youtube;Ad52RbO-BEc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad52RbO-BEc