Recommendation Thread

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
lol shut up.

I'd like to recommend The Arrival. Don't mind the star, the story is actually very well done. And it is based on actual science sorta. My sell would be:

SETI astrophysicist discovers a strange signal that is indicative of intelligent life. However, some insidious faction is dead set against his discovery and attempts to bury all reference of it. This only makes the scientist more curious, and he uncovers an even more insidious plot of the faction's goals.

G

Graybrew1

Anybody recommend the movie, " What Dreams may come? " This movie blew me away. Very surreal. Very emotional. Robin Williams, Cuban Gooding Jr. couple of great twists. Get the tissues ready in a Psudeo SciFi Fantasy kind of way. One of my all time favorites. I know, Bring on the Jeers, I loved it.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
^I'll look out for that.
Would recommend these three, you won't find em through mainstream channels, have to look a little:
C.R.A.Z.Y. - Canadian/French movie/ Good find yourself movie, everything was nicely developed.
The Man From Nowhere - Korean/Chinese/one of them/ Nice action flick, minimalist action stuff but this wasn't one of those mindless action flicks. Had some powerful moments.
My Sassy Girl - Korean/Chinese/I don't know/ Funny little comedy you can watch with your girlfriend.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I recommend two 8oz beef filets marinated in Balsamic and unsalted steak spice with a sweet potato and grilled peppers for lunch.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
drooling now......

oooooooooooooh balsamic is one of my favorite seasonings! I have this bottle I got in Italy...it's aged 30 years and omg is it good...a little drizzle over fresh strawberries or raspberries and OMG...making my mouth water just thinking about it! drizzle it over flakes of parmigano Reggiano....or with a bit of a creamy bleu cheese and peaches....ok getting REALLY hungry now!
The closest to what I have, here in the states that is :P, is sold by williams sonoma!

Bluce Ree

oooooooooooooh balsamic is one of my favorite seasonings! I have this bottle I got in Italy...it's aged 30 years and omg is it good...a little drizzle over fresh strawberries or raspberries and OMG...making my mouth water just thinking about it! drizzle it over flakes of parmigano Reggiano....or with a bit of a creamy bleu cheese and peaches....ok getting REALLY hungry now!
The closest to what I have, here in the states that is :P, is sold by williams sonoma!

I LOVE balsamic. I find marinating meat in balsamic is a great way to give it a bit of a salty kick without the sodium.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I LOVE balsamic. I find marinating meat in balsamic is a great way to give it a bit of a salty kick without the sodium.
I'm going to have to try that. We're die-hard carnivores in this house, and are always looking for tasty ways to cook meat. ;)

Thanks for the idea, Bluce.

Bluce Ree

I'm going to have to try that. We're die-hard carnivores in this house, and are always looking for tasty ways to cook meat. ;)

Thanks for the idea, Bluce.

I tried something new this afternoon. I marinated the meat in balsamic and mrs. dash steak grilling blend and let it sit in a tupperware for a bit before grilling. It came out really tasty. :)

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Hmmm...suggestions...

Watch any movie you didn't want to see in theatres (or even for free on the boob tube) in the RiffTrax versions.

MUCH better that way.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Thought this was pretty good, Tron: Uprising, better story than the movie.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjbwVzJR8w4

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
This link goes to the Avengers thread. :( What is the name of the movie? :)

Whoops I thought this was the recommendation of tv series not Movies because mzzz posted tron uprising which is a tv series shown on Disney XD and I am just recommending The avengers - Earth's Mightiest Heroes which is a cartooon tv series my bad. I'll edit my post.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Whoops I thought this was the recommendation of tv series not Movies because mzzz posted tron uprising which is a tv series shown on Disney XD and I am just recommending The avengers - Earth's Mightiest Heroes which is a cartooon tv series my bad. I'll edit my post.

Not a problem!

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Whoops I thought this was the recommendation of tv series not Movies because mzzz posted tron uprising which is a tv series shown on Disney XD and I am just recommending The avengers - Earth's Mightiest Heroes which is a cartoon tv series my bad. I'll edit my post.
Haha, don't think it matters, just recommend whatever. Did you like Uprising?

Not scifi or a tv show, just probably the definitive submarine movie and a good movie on its own, regardless of specifics: Das Boot. A thoroughly realistic movie about just war, no Nazi vs Allies sentimentality/idealogies there, just the soldiers and the situation they were in during war. I thought it was extremely good at painting a plausible situation, after I watched I looked it up and the reason it was so realistic was because it actually happened. The reporter in the boat was the one that made the novel. One thing I regret is not being able to find the original German one with english subtitles, would have added more realism to it I think. Also it's 3 hrs long but very good, not for those who'd prefer cheap thrills and hollywood style stuff.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I finally got around to watching District 9 yesterday, a bit of a strange flick, but still quite good as far as interesting Scifi concepts go. Certainly not for everyone (though the rather brutal effects of the alien weaponry may get the "action fan"). If your prepared to look past that however, there are some good questions raised about how we view and trat others who are different from ourselves, and in the end, how different are we really.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
I finally got around to watching District 9 yesterday, a bit of a strange flick, but still quite good as far as interesting Scifi concepts go. Certainly not for everyone (though the rather brutal effects of the alien weaponry may get the "action fan"). If your prepared to look past that however, there are some good questions raised about how we view and trat others who are different from ourselves, and in the end, how different are we really.
Yeah, District 9 was fun because it actually focused more on character development. I mean you felt for the guy and his whole transformation, external and internal.

G

Graybrew1

I really love Borgias. The show is quite interesting to me. Not as sexual in your face as TGOT but the historical drama is still as gritty. Jeremy Irons kicks ass in this show by making you love and hate him at the same time.