Recommendation Thread

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
how about 2012

Was anyone able to make ti all the way through 2012 without breaking out in unintentional laughter?

S

Stonelesscutter

Was anyone able to make ti all the way through 2012 without breaking out in unintentional laughter?

Actually I did.
You just made me remember another movie however where I eventually did break out into unintentional laughter, which is 2012 Supernova.
I accidentally watched it in anticipation of the 'real' 2012 movie and man was I ever disappointed.
It was so horrible that I just had to laugh about it but in reality I was figuratively crying a river.
I dare you to go see it for yourselves. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I saw it! OMG

Actually I did.
You just made me remember another movie however where I eventually did break out into unintentional laughter, which is 2012 Supernova.
I accidentally watched it in anticipation of the 'real' 2012 movie and man was I ever disappointed.
It was so horrible that I just had to laugh about it but in reality I was figuratively crying a river.
I dare you to go see it for yourselves. :)

Oh, I saw it. :facepalm: Flying people and a flying limousine....was this Chitty Chitty Ban Bag or science fiction? The "science" involved some chip of super dense matter going into the moon or some crap. Really bad movie. It was meant to trick people into thinking it was going to be a true competitor to 2012 which was being hyped at the same time. HORRIBLY funny. This trailer is very misleading:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=touyGTIQ5to

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I must confess I started laughing during 2012. I couldn't help it - the movie was so ridiculous.

I especially liked the Arks where you can't start the engines as long as a stern loading door that is not in their way is open - a loading door located for some wierd reason BELOW THE WATERLINE. Who designed the ships - Ruprecht the Monkey Boy?

S

Stonelesscutter

Oh, I saw it. :facepalm: Flying people and a flying limousine....was this Chitty Chitty Ban Bag or science fiction? The "science" involved some chip of super dense matter going into the moon or some crap. Really bad movie. It was meant to trick people into thinking it was going to be a true competitor to 2012 which was being hyped at the same time. HORRIBLY funny. This trailer is very misleading:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=touyGTIQ5to

That trailer is indeed misleading because it's not a sample of 2012 Supernova as it says. It's actually a sample of the movie 2012.
It's the trailer that follows after you watch this one that is 2012 Supernova.
Watching the movie will assure you find a new standard by which to judge movies.
It'll make you like SGU.
Really. ;)

S

Stonelesscutter

I must confess I started laughing during 2012. I couldn't help it - the movie was so ridiculous.

I especially liked the Arks where you can't start the engines as long as a stern loading door that is not in their way is open - a loading door located for some wierd reason BELOW THE WATERLINE. Who designed the ships - Ruprecht the Monkey Boy?

Heheheheh that is SO true.
But hell. We all know we're gonna have to accept a lot of major plotfaults when watching a natural disaster movie. It's the action that counts. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
And of course there is Event Horizon. First half feels like it was made by Ridley Scott and the second half feels like it was made by Ed Wood.

S

Stonelesscutter

And of course there is Event Horizon. First half feels like it was made by Ridley Scott and the second half feels like it was made by Ed Wood.

I don't know who the hell Ed Wood is but I'm assuming you mean something like...
First half goooood, second half baaaaad.

Also totally unrelated to your post I just remembered the movie The Island which I thought was kinda alright.
It involves cloning.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yes indeed.

Ed Wood was a director fabled for his badness. Among his masterpieces was Plan 9 from Outer Space.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plan_9_from_Outer_Space

Similar to Albert Pyun (usually if you see that name in the credits you know the movie is dreck).

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I don't know who the hell Ed Wood is but I'm assuming you mean something like...
First half goooood, second half baaaaad.

Also totally unrelated to your post I just remembered the movie The Island which I thought was kinda alright.
It involves cloning.

You know I remember that I saw "The Island" but it was so unimpressive that I literally can't remember anything of substance about it. I think that crazy chick Scarlett Johanssen was in it. That's all I remember.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
You know I remember that I saw "The Island" but it was so unimpressive that I literally can't remember anything of substance about it. I think that crazy chick Scarlett Johanssen was in it. That's all I remember.

Yes she is. It's not great but it has its moments.

ParagonPie

Well Known GateFan

Its a Michael Bay movie, what did you expect? Think Ewan Mcgregor is in it as well.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Yes she is. It's not great but it has its moments.

I probably got turned off by the gratuitous use of CGI, which if one of my pet peeves. It had a fair amount of that in it, right? Plus the fact that it had Scarlett I-Can't-Actress in it also probably turned me off. (Yes, I know, she's beautiful! Everyone thinks she's beautiful!:roll: Ugh!)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Its a Michael Bay movie, what did you expect? Think Ewan Mcgregor is in it as well.

Oh. Well then that does explain my response to it. I was wondering why I had such a visceral dislike of a movie I literally can't remember (although I do remember that I did see it -- I think there was a train sequence of all things, out in the desert).

I despise Michael Bay. He should be on death row for cinematic crimes against humanity.

S

Stonelesscutter

I probably got turned off by the gratuitous use of CGI, which if one of my pet peeves. It had a fair amount of that in it, right? Plus the fact that it had Scarlett I-Can't-Actress in it also probably turned me off. (Yes, I know, she's beautiful! Everyone thinks she's beautiful!:roll: Ugh!)

If you're talking about that blonde that plays one of the leads than I agree.
She is beautiful. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Oh. Well then that does explain my response to it. I was wondering why I had such a visceral dislike of a movie I literally can't remember (although I do remember that I did see it -- I think there was a train sequence of all things, out in the desert).

I despise Michael Bay. He should be on death row for cinematic crimes against humanity.

Death is too good for him. He shall be sentenced to watch SGU episodes 24 hours a day for life.

S

Stonelesscutter

There was a train somewhere yes but did you see it was a floating train? Sort of MAGLEV-like.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
She has "teh kray-zee" eyes

If you're talking about that blonde that plays one of the leads than I agree.
She is beautiful. :)

Her beauty does nothing for me. For some reason her personality turns me off, plus she's over rated as an actor and that also turns me off. Besides, she has crazy eyes. You just know she's bucket loads of psycho. No wonder her husband dumped her. He probably got tired of sleeping with his eyes open.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
There was a train somewhere yes but did you see it was a floating train? Sort of MAGLEV-like.

I saw a lot of things in the movie, none of them memorable. Seriously.