Patrick Gilmore (Volker) - Same Ol' Same Ol'

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
It will be interesting to see how the interview went then.

Strangely enough, I don't think BJS will say that much that can be seen as negative unless he gets baited into doing so. I think his first "brush" with the fans may have taught him a valuable lesson.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Not that I"m aware of. He said he was dissing it on his radio show but he did like it in the beginning.

I think many, many people liked SGU or rather wanted to like it at the beginning. I really don't think there were Stargate fans rooting for it to fail at the start, including SGA fans. No one really knew that it would be so different from the Stargate formula we were used to. Some people figured it out early into the run of the show and others were more optimistic and hung on for longer. What's telling is that many of the people who professed to like SGU at the beginning eventually changed their opinion -- and viewing habits.

The problem clearly was SGU and not Stargate fans as Gilmore would have us believe. The trend of people who liked SGU early on and then leaving in droves proves this. Gilmore is willfully blind in this regard, and willfully unprofessional to insult Stargate fans so casually.

stclare

Moderator & Mckay Super Fan
Strangely enough, I don't think BJS will say that much that can be seen as negative unless he gets baited into doing so. I think his first "brush" with the fans may have taught him a valuable lesson.

I hope so. There has definatley been nothing coming forth from his camp (if you get my meaning) hopefully he can see that people will critique any actors work, even more so IMHO when it's part of such a loved franchise

Lilith

GateFans Noob
I think many, many people liked SGU or rather wanted to like it at the beginning. I really don't think there were Stargate fans rooting for it to fail at the start, including SGA fans. No one really knew that it would be so different from the Stargate formula we were used to. Some people figured it out early into the run of the show and others were more optimistic and hung on for longer. What's telling is that many of the people who professed to like SGU at the beginning eventually changed their opinion -- and viewing habits.

The problem clearly was SGU and not Stargate fans as Gilmore would have us believe. The trend of people who liked SGU early on and then leaving in droves proves this. Gilmore is willfully blind in this regard, and willfully unprofessional to insult Stargate fans so casually.

I was sadden at the termination of SGA but then I thought I'd still have Stargate with SGU and that didn't last long at all. By the second episode I was done.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +

Exactly! The pilot got decent ratings because people did check it out - and the subsequent episodes. As did I since I hadn't read that much about the show beforehand.

stclare

Moderator & Mckay Super Fan

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
That's a very different response to what we see in this recent interview. I wonder why the sudden rant and blame game now?

The one I posted is a blogger, the one Serenity posted is from a "reporter" I assume the reporter knows how to ask the "hard questions ;)

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
The one I posted is a blogger, the one Serenity posted is from a "reporter" I assume the reporter knows how to ask the "hard questions ;)
That, or maybe Patrick Gilmore is smart enough to differentiate his answers accordingly...

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Patrick Gilmore is an ASS. Is he really as stupid as his words in that interview?

I just decided to read that entire interview, and Patrick Gilmore is really clueless. He has been listening to JM and Brad about the motivations of the SG fanbase, once again assuming that it was "those angry Atlantis fans" who killed SGU (and thus the franchise).

WRONG, Patrick! He said this:
Then you would get these sites dedicated to it. These are clearly people who don’t have a lot going on in their lives, to dedicate their time towards building a website to put people out of work. I don’t understand that vitriol. But the poetic justice for all of these morons is that what happened is you shot yourself in the foot. “You think getting Stargate Universe cancelled is going to bring back SGA? Well, BS. It went the exact opposite way.” The producers knew it, MGM knew it, and we were all saying it. “You need to support us, because with SGU’s success there was no end to how much more of SGA you were going to see.”
WRONG. We wanted to get rid of Stargate Universe EVEN IF it meant the end of the entire franchise. We werent at all clueless and the announcement that there would be no more Stargate Atlantis or SG-1 was anything but a surprise. These forums spell it out clearly that we, as fans of Stargate, were prepared for several years hiatus as long as the imposter Stargate Universe was cancelled.

There are so many threads preserved here for posterity which prove that we ALREADY KNEW that the sets for Atlantis were already gone before SGU started airing (CLICK FOR THREAD). We got inside information about the destruction of those sets in Stage 6 at Bridge all the while JM was denying that there was never going to be an Atlantis movie or anything more Atlantis. None of the actors had been approached for any Atlantis venture, and no movie or series or Atlantis projects were ever greenlighted by MGM. What the hell are you talking about, Patrick? The stupidity was on the showrunner's side of the fence. It was STUPID to assume that only Stargate Atlantis fans were responsible for the backlash that SGU got. I am primarily an SG-1 fan, and the SG-1 fanbase is arguably larger and more entrenched than the Atlantis fanbase was (because it accumulated over 10 years). Thing is, the Atlantis fanbase is made up of mostly SG-1 fans who adopted the new Atlantis show, not new fans. SG-1 fans HATED Stargate Universe as much as the Atlantis fans did, mostly because they were the same fanbase! How else to explain why the "paltry 1.6 million" fanbase that JM and Brad were so fond of saying was not mitigated by the 3 MILLION or so fans from SG-1? We werent watching SGU either.

The only people who got shot in the foot are the stupid showrunners who thought they could write a vapid soap opera, populate it with shallow characters and change the premise and genre and that the fans would lap it up like a dog drinking from a toilet. Sorry, but we were NEVER that thirsty. Its better that there is no Stargate at all than to have a soap opera carrying the Stargate name. We got our wish, and we made it happen. SGU is dead and buried. Thankfully.

You know, GOOD LUCK with your show Patrick. I will never watch a single episode because of your stupid rant. Even in SGU, you werent all that. I remember the tall blonde chick who was an extra in the show more than I can remember a single line you uttered in the two year run.

S

Stonelesscutter

I just decided to read that entire interview, and Patrick Gilmore is really clueless. He has been listening to JM and Brad about the motivations of the SG fanbase, once again assuming that it was "those angry Atlantis fans" who killed SGU (and this the franchise).

WRONG. We wanted to get rid of Stargate Universe EVEN IF it meant the end of the entire franchise. We werent at all clueless and the announcement that there would be no more Stargate Atlantis or SG-1 was anything but a surprise. These forums spell it out clearly that we, as fans of Stargate, were prepared for several years hiatus as long as the imposter Stargate Universe was cancelled.

There are so many threads preserved here for posterity which prove that we ALREADY KNEW that the sets for Atlantis were already gone before SGU started airing (CLICK FOR THREAD). We got inside information about the destruction of those sets in Stage 6 at Bridge all the while JM was denying that there was never going to be an Atlantis movie or anything more Atlantis. None of the actors had been approached for any Atlantis venture, and no movie or series or Atlantis projects were ever greenlighted by MGM. What the hell are you talking about, Patrick? The stupidity was on the showrunner's side of the fense. It was STUPID to assume that only Stargate Atlantis fans were responsible for the backlash that SGU got. I am primarily an SG-1 fan, and the SG-1 fanbase is arguably larger and more entrenched than the Atlantis fanbase was (because it accumulated over 10 years). Thing is, the Atlantis fanbase is made up of mostly SG-1 fans who adopted the new Atlantis show, not new fans.

The only people who got shot in the foot are the stupid showrunners who thought they could write a vapid soap opera, populate it with shallow characters and change the premise and genre and that the fans would lap it up like a dog drinking from a toilet. Sorry, but we were NEVER that thirsty. Its better that there is no Stargate at all than to have a soap opera carrying the Stargate name. We got our wish, and we made it happen. SGU is dead and buried. Thankfully.

You know, GOOD LUCK with your show Patrick. I will never watch a single episode because of your stupid rant. Even in SGU, you werent all that. I remember the tall blonde chick who was an extra in the show more than I can remember a single line you uttered in the two year run.

Tall blonde chick?
Please illustrate. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The more I think about it, this whole thing is making me wish that Volker hadn't survived that kidney transplant... :P

Volker was not a critical character, any more than Franklin was. Brody started to grow on me because of his dry humor, but to me Volker was just the sweaty dude who was dawdling around in the background and was Brody's wingman. I felt sorry for him when Greer was pointing a gun at his heart in season 1, but that whole kidney transplant thing was only meant to create concern for him and I just didnt care one way or the other.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I just decided to read that entire interview, and Patrick Gilmore is really clueless. He has been listening to JM and Brad about the motivations of the SG fanbase, once again assuming that it was "those angry Atlantis fans" who killed SGU (and thus the franchise).

There are so many threads preserved here for posterity which prove that we ALREADY KNEW that the sets for Atlantis were already gone before SGU started airing (CLICK FOR THREAD). We got inside information about the destruction of those sets in Stage 6 at Bridge all the while JM was denying that there was never going to be an Atlantis movie or anything more Atlantis. None of the actors had been approached for any Atlantis venture, and no movie or series or Atlantis projects were ever greenlighted by MGM. What the hell are you talking about, Patrick? The stupidity was on the showrunner's side of the fence. It was STUPID to assume that only Stargate Atlantis fans were responsible for the backlash that SGU got. I am primarily an SG-1 fan, and the SG-1 fanbase is arguably larger and more entrenched than the Atlantis fanbase was (because it accumulated over 10 years). Thing is, the Atlantis fanbase is made up of mostly SG-1 fans who adopted the new Atlantis show, not new fans. SG-1 fans HATED Stargate Universe as much as the Atlantis fans did, mostly because they were the same fanbase! How else to explain why the "paltry 1.6 million" fanbase that JM and Brad were so fond of saying was not mitigated by the 3 MILLION or so fans from SG-1? We werent watching SGU either.

I'm assuming this is a fairly recent interview with Gilmore which begs the question of why he hasn't let the misdirected animosity go? There was no benefit in insulting Stargate fans while SGU was on the air and there is even less benefit to do so now that it's dead and gone. He sounds immature and juvenile in his mud slinging. Hell, even BJS seems to have learned how to handle questions about SGU without being a prick. Why can't this guy?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I'm assuming this is a fairly recent interview with Gilmore which begs the question of why he hasn't let the misdirected animosity go? There was no benefit in insulting Stargate fans while SGU was on the air and there is even less benefit to do so now that it's dead and gone. He sounds immature and juvenile in his mud slinging. Hell, even BJS seems to have learned how to handle questions about SGU without being a prick. Why can't this guy?

I think that its because unlike Brian, Patrick would be considered a "character actor". He isnt particularly good looking (IMO), he has no charisma and until SGU I have never heard of him. He gets his first "big break" and then it turns out to be a dud and he got fired by US (the fans). He is bitter, and now he thinks he can say this stuff because he has a new job. Perhaps we shouldnt remind him that fans sometimes follow actors from one show to another when we like them. AND that sometimes we avoid shows that have actors in them that we DONT like....:icon_e_wink:

The interview was on May 23, 2011

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member