Patrick Gilmore (Volker) - Same Ol' Same Ol'

Lilith

GateFans Noob
I want a square jaw, muscles, a super duper computer tablet, a magic decoder ring, a hair stylists and a really cool name. We have looked the enemy in the eye, fought against his legions of properganda and outed them for the manipulators that they are. We have kicked them out of this universe.

G

Graybrew1

I want a square jaw, muscles, a super duper computer tablet, a magic decoder ring, a hair stylists and a really cool name. We have looked the enemy in the eye, fought against his legions of properganda and outed them for the manipulators that they are. We have kicked them out of this universe.

Not over at GW we have not.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Frustrating to say the least.

Don't be frustrated. GW has little to no power to affect anything as witnessed by the utter failure of SGU despite their best efforts to shill for it. GW is enormously unimportant in the scheme of things.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Like I said, it's generally a waste of time interacting with the morons over at GW. All that will be accomplished will be your wasted cyber breath and rising blood pressure on your part.

This thread you linked proves it as you're dealing with people who are literally trying to parse the definition of "rape" to fit their argument. And it's really not an argument at all to be honest as the issue of engaging in sex while occupying another person's body simply would be a moot point. It just wouldn't happen. The legal implications alone would prevent it. Even if someone did sign away their "right" to have their body used for sex they could always come back later and file suit. Imagine if you consented to let your body be used for sex and ended up with herpes or AIDS? There is simply no way in hell the military or any institution would let this happen -- period.

In sci-fi there is the element of suspension of disbelief but in this case it simply isn't possible. The legal and moral and ethical implications are so great that it wouldn't be allowed. This is so incredibly obvious that I find it a waste of time to even discuss it (not with you, I mean with people like the idiots over at GW). There quite simply is no argument about it.

In bringing this back to the subject of this thread let me just point out, again, how demented Gilmore's take is on the Stargate fan base. The people over at GW who are advocating for the immoral, unethical and illegal use of the stones are the very people he thinks are worthy Stargate fans. Yet those of us here who eschew the legitimacy of the stones are considered "idiots" by him. How twisted is that?

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
Patrick> Yeah, I’d love to say it’s because of them, and it would serve them right. But that’s not the truth.
(You're right it's not the truth. The show is cancelled because it was overall terrible and subsequently failed in the ratings)

I was talking to Brad Wright about this a couple of weeks ago, and he said, “It was a perfect storm.”That’s exactly it, and I could list off ten reasons why SGU never got the momentum.
(I think most of us here could list atleast 50 reasons)

But as far as the fan reaction, I hesitate to comment on it, because I get so worked up about it. I’ve talked to a lot of people who have been in the franchise when it first started with SGU.They said, “When we started SGA and SG-1 was cancelled, people crucified us for killing SG-1. So expect the same thing.”And we did get the same thing, but I didn’t pay much attention to it. Then it started getting personal, (You can thank BJS and his mom for that) and having a web presence for actors is kind of a new thing.Twitter was just starting out, and of course I was getting my first recognition on the Internet.So it was hard to ignore, especially when they got personal.
(Again BJS and his mom cast the first stones along with TPTB insulting the old fanbase. Obviously, if the actors and producers sink low enough to offend the viewers, things will get personal. What's Patrick's deal anyways? His character so marginal in the show that no one commented about him at all. Most of the negativity was focused at BJS and Elyse)

Then you would get these sites dedicated to it.
(That was SGUS)

These are clearly people who don’t have a lot going on in their lives, to dedicate their time towards building a website to put people out of work. I don’t understand that vitriol.But the poetic justice for all of these morons is that what happened is you shot yourself in the foot.
(Has he not not learned anything from the BJS fiasco? Don't insult the viewers! Our viewership gives them a job. No one spent 2 minutes insulting Patrick or his character but now he has decided to call everyone at SGU "morons" probably without reading a single word from the site. He's opening himself up for criticism)

“You think getting Stargate Universe cancelled is going to bring back SGA?
(No one ever thought that SGU being cancelled would bring back SGA. We wanted SGU cancelled as soon as possible so eventually a good Stargate show would return to the air sooner. SGU clogging up the air ways wasn't going to give us a NEW (not SGA) Stargate show that is more to our liking)

Well, BS.It went the exact opposite way.”The producers knew it, MGM knew it, and we were all saying it.“You need to support us, because with SGU’s success there was no end to how much more of SGA you were going to see.”
(Well I have to call BS to that. No matter how much support SGU got, SGA wasn't coming back. Period. We knew that. The sets had been dismantled, some of the cast moved on and the writers simply weren't interested. Supporting SGU would only have supported SGU and since most of us didn't like the show, it wasn't in our best interest to invest in efforts to keep the show on the air)

I read an article today about this guy who was anti-gun and it was about gun regulation in the United States. It was a blog that went on for two pages and the title was “Guns kill more people by accident than they do perpetrators breaking into a home.”At the end of the blog, he said, “If you’ve read this far in the article and read my argument then write bananas in the comments. Just add that word so I know you’ve read this far.”Then they show out of the three pages of angry, angry comments, nobody wrote bananas because nobody read it.
(Or they read it and didn't care about the author's directions and just responded to his arguments without bothering with his stupid demands. I wouldn't have written "bananas" either. I would have just written my response to the article if I had read it. I would like to point the finger back at you Patrick. I bet he saw the title of the SGUS website and made this angry comment without reading any of our articles and posts. Hypocrisy)

They saw the title and reacted .That’s what these trolls at SGUSucks or whatever it was did, they reacted and they were idiots.
(Again with the name calling. Actually, he is dead wrong here. According to his example, the people didn't read the article but only reacted to the title. The error with that analogy is that most of us actually watched SGU and simply didn't like it. We gave the show a chance and when we didn't like it, we voiced our opinion of it. How does that make us "idiots"?)

They didn’t cancel SGU, but they didn’t support it so Stargate gets put on ice.
(Thankfully, before the TPTB could do anymore damage to the series)

Stargate isn’t dead, (The one correct thing he said in the entire interview so far) just like Star Trek isn’t dead, Star Wars isn’t dead.Our great grand children will be watching chapter 20 of Star Wars because people are going to want to make money off of it. But the incarnations of SG-1, SGA, and SGU, as far as the TV shows are dead. (Yes) It would have been nice to have a little more support from a story franchise. I hate it, especially today when I’m seeing all these tweets of standing ovations coming in from people who just love it. And they wanted the same thing over and over again. They were happy with the formula.The writers and creators, Brad, Rob, Joe, Carl; they are artists and artists need to change. They can’t continue to do the same thing, they need to test themselves. What’s wonderful is all three series were written by the same people in completely different styles.They succeeded, (No SGU failed miserably. That's why it is cancelled and he is angry) and I think if they had it to do over again, they would do exactly the same thing.
I almost had some respect for this guy but he had to come out and attack the older fans. What is the purpose at this point?​
:beckettu:

Great line-by-line analysis!

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
That was excellent Red Mage ! Who is this Patrick guy anyway . What character was he . From what I read he is the biggest moron yet to blab on about a horrible , miserable, depressing , disgusting ( on the sexstones episode , which happened way to often ) eye rippling camera shakes , must I go on . How painful this is to have this all startup again . Let it die . Move on actors and TPTW . For heavens sake . Think of the children !!! The pain you have caused there parent's is unforgivable .

Red Mage

Boney
That was excellent Red Mage ! Who is this Patrick guy anyway . What character was he . From what I read he is the biggest moron yet to blab on about a horrible , miserable, depressing , disgusting ( on the sexstones episode , which happened way to often ) eye rippling camera shakes , must I go on . How painful this is to have this all startup again . Let it die . Move on actors and TPTW . For heavens sake . Think of the children !!! The pain you have caused there parent's is unforgivable .

He was Brody or Volker. I think it's Volker but I forget which one is which because those characters were so underdeveloped and had no personality. They were the background scientists that would blurt out a line or two every episode.

As side note, thanks to everyone who gave green for that post.

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
He was Volker who I actually really enjoyed on the show.

I think we all have to bear in the mind that he hasn't really read some of the opinions on the site. To be fair when you see a name like Sgusucks it does bring to mind a bunch of idiots who want to complain and destroy things they don't like; I mean that was my first impression until I took time to explore it. The reality is that it wasn't really about the show at all; it was about the way fans felt they were treated and the lack of support for those who didn't enjoy the show. As I said before just a few words like "We're sorry your not a fan of the new direction, here's how to support the movies" would have gone a long way.

When you think about he's as much a victim of this as everyone else; no matter what he did he couldn't have changed the situation as he wasn't in a position to. That's probably made him pretty mad considering he obviously put a lot of effort into his work. I do sympathise with the annoyance as well; I enjoyed SGU and am pretty gutted it's been taken off the air and I'm even more annoyed one of my favourite franchises won't be airing episodes for at least a few years. You have to imagine that a great many more people would prefer to have Stargate on the air rather that wait for a new version; especially considering most don't even know or care who Brad Wright or the producers are. Still it's important in these situations to look at the cause rather than the outcome.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
He was Volker who I actually really enjoyed on the show.

I think we all have to bear in the mind that he hasn't really read some of the opinions on the site. To be fair when you see a name like Sgusucks it does bring to mind a bunch of idiots who want to complain and destroy things they don't like; I mean that was my first impression until I took time to explore it. The reality is that it wasn't really about the show at all; it was about the way fans felt they were treated and the lack of support for those who didn't enjoy the show. As I said before just a few words like "We're sorry your not a fan of the new direction, here's how to support the movies" would have gone a long way.

When you think about he's as much a victim of this as everyone else; no matter what he did he couldn't have changed the situation as he wasn't in a position to. That's probably made him pretty mad considering he obviously put a lot of effort into his work. I do sympathise with the annoyance as well; I enjoyed SGU and am pretty gutted it's been taken off the air and I'm even more annoyed one of my favourite franchises won't be airing episodes for at least a few years. You have to imagine that a great many more people would prefer to have Stargate on the air rather that wait for a new version; especially considering most don't even know or care who Brad Wright or the producers are. Still it's important in these situations to look at the cause rather than the outcome.

Obviously Gilmore is biased on this issue. Quite literally SGU paid his rent for at least 2 years. Plus add to that the development of his character who went from being a guy in the background twiddling knobs to a guy occasionally in the foreground twiddling knobs but who got to speak more. As an actor more lines literally means more money. I think it's safe to say the guy was very happy that "Volker" was getting fleshed-out. How could he be anything but thrilled that his character was growing. Imagine how crushed he was when the show tanked -- and that's what we're seeing with him here. This was an emotional outburst from someone who doesn't completely understand what it means to be a professional.

The problem Gilmore has is that his myopia prevents him from understanding that he's damaging his own career by lashing out at Stargate fans. Someone more professional would be cognizant of the fan base of the concept and would do their best to diplomatically answer interview questions without offending anyone. This is part of being a professional. Calling fans of a certain genre/concept "idiots" is not professional behavior and therein lies the difference. ;)

G

Graybrew1

Obviously Gilmore is biased on this issue. Quite literally SGU paid his rent for at least 2 years. Plus add to that the development of his character who went from being a guy in the background twiddling knobs to a guy occasionally in the foreground twiddling knobs but who got to speak more. As an actor more lines literally means more money. I think it's safe to say the guy was very happy that "Volker" was getting fleshed-out. How could he be anything but thrilled that his character was growing. Imagine how crushed he was when the show tanked -- and that's what we're seeing with him here. This was an emotional outburst from someone who doesn't completely understand what it means to be a professional.

The problem Gilmore has is that his myopia prevents him from understanding that he's damaging his own career by lashing out at Stargate fans. Someone more professional would be cognizant of the fan base of the concept and would do their best to diplomatically answer interview questions without offending anyone. This is part of being a professional. Calling fans of a certain genre/concept "idiots" is not professional behavior and therein lies the difference. ;)

And don't these people have PR people or agent's at least to tell them to shut the frak up, they are hurting their careers by bashing the fans. I have no desire now to see anything any of them do again in the future now that I know how they feel about me as a fan.

Lilith

GateFans Noob
And don't these people have PR people or agent's at least to tell them to shut the frak up, they are hurting their careers by bashing the fans. I have no desire now to see anything any of them do again in the future now that I know how they feel about me as a fan.

Kenn said that as unbias as he tries to make the interviews he has to write exactly what they say or their publicist get upset.. I can assure you that BJS doesn't have one but I think this guy may. Actors are liberal arts majors and are not well rounded, he was unaware that Kenn had been dissing SGU on his radio show after initially liking SGU. They don't do their research, in the real world if someone wanted to do an interview with me you can bet that I would check them out and their previous work. PR people cost money which I guess they don't have any since they are relatively unknown.

He is writing up his interview with BJS now so stay tuned. Maybe since BJS has gotten other roles since SGU was cancelled his scope has broaden as to why we didn't like the show. Maybe and then maybe not, we'll see.