Patrick Gilmore (Volker) - Same Ol' Same Ol'

SerenityS

GateFans Member
http://www.mediablvd.com/magazine/t..._end_of_'stargate_universe'_201105232512.html

MediaBlvd> One thing that struck me with the
series was the fan backlash with the series.You had websites by
SG-1 fans that were named things like
cancelthishownow.com.Do you think that played into the whole
franchise going on hiatus with the announcement that there would be no more
movies? Did those people shoot themselves in the foot?

Patrick> Yeah, I’d love to say it’s
because of them, and it would serve them right.But that’s not the
truth.I was talking to Brad Wright about this a couple of weeks
ago, and he said, “It was a perfect storm.”That’s exactly it, and I
could list off ten reasons why SGU never got the
momentum.But as far as the fan reaction, I hesitate to comment on
it, because I get so worked up about it.I’ve talked to a lot of
people who have been in the franchise when it first started with
SGU.They said, “When we started SGA and
SG-1 was cancelled, people crucified us for killing SG-1. So
expect the same thing.”And we did get the same thing, but I didn’t
pay much attention to it.Then it started getting personal, and
having a web presence for actors is kind of a new thing.Twitter was
just starting out, and of course I was getting my first recognition on the
Internet.So it was hard to ignore, especially when they got
personal.Then you would get these sites dedicated to
it.These are clearly people who don’t have a lot going on in their
lives, to dedicate their time towards building a website to put people out of
work.I don’t understand that vitriol.But the poetic
justice for all of these morons is that what happened is you shot yourself in
the foot.“You think getting Stargate Universe cancelled is
going to bring back SGA?Well, BS.It went the
exact opposite way.”The producers knew it, MGM knew it, and we were
all saying it.“You need to support us, because with SGU’s
success there was no end to how much more of SGA you were going to
see.”I read an article today about this guy who was anti-gun and it
was about gun regulation in theUnited
States.It was a blog that went on
for two pages and the title was “Guns kill more people by accident than they do
perpetrators breaking into a home.”At the end of the blog, he said,
“If you’ve read this far in the article and read my argument then write bananas
in the comments. Just add that word so I know you’ve read this
far.”Then they show out of the three pages of angry, angry
comments, nobody wrote bananas because nobody read it.They saw the
title and reacted.That’s what these trolls at SGUSucks or
whatever it was did, they reacted and they were idiots.They didn’t
cancel SGU, but they didn’t support it so Stargate gets put on
ice.Stargate isn’t dead, just like Star Trek
isn’t dead, Star Wars isn’t dead.Our great grand children
will be watching chapter 20 of Star Wars because people are going to
want to make money off of it.But the incarnations of SG-1,
SGA
, and SGU, as far as the TV shows are dead.It
would have been nice to have a little more support from a story
franchise.I hate it, especially today when I’m seeing all these
tweets of standing ovations coming in from people who just love
it.And they wanted the same thing over and over
again.They were happy with the formula.The writers and
creators, Brad, Rob, Joe, Carl; they are artists and artists need to
change.They can’t continue to do the same thing, they need to test
themselves.What’s wonderful is all three series were written by the
same people in completely different styles.They succeeded, and I
think if they had it to do over again, they would do exactly the same
thing.

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
Wow.

seem like ALL of these people havnt read that far either seeing as they dont know the facts of what we who were critical about SGU was criticising it for.
he also joins the club and insults the fanbase.... not a smart move why doesnt these people get that?

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
Geez, that was quite a meandering rant. So is he saying that the anti-SGU sites didn't kill SGU but did kill the SG franchise? :confused:

OMNI

Geez, that was quite a meandering rant. So is he saying that the anti-SGU sites didn't kill SGU but did kill the SG franchise? :confused:

yep some doubble standards there... i dont much like people that dont know what they are saying when they are saying it and endup saying 2 diffrent things and start talking in circles.

also this is mallozzis reponse to this:

Randomness writes: “Joe, what do you think of this interview with Patrick Gilmore?
http://www.mediablvd.com/magazine/the_news/celebrity/patrick_gilmore_on_%27the_killing%27_and_the_end_of_%27stargate_universe%27_201105232512.html
I’m usually supportive of peoples opinions but I disagree with his comments that some fans hated the show because it wasn’t Stargate Atlantis.
Hater websites aside, I’ve always got the general vibe that people just didn’t like the show because of the direction it took, basically it didn’t appeal to them.”
Answer: Actually, Patrick is absolutely right. ”SOME” fans certainly did hate the show because it wasn’t Stargate Atlantis. They essentially said as much, lobbying for the show’s cancellation in the foolish belief that it would bring back Atlantis. And, when just the opposite happened and the cancellation pretty much killed any hopes of a continuation of the Atlantis storyline, they were left standing around like a bunch of dazed dorks wondering “Wha – happened?”. Watching them scramble to retroactively put a positive spin on their moronic logic (“Oh, uh, we WANTED that to happen!) was an awesome silver lining to the whole affair.

randomness hits the mark here tho at first and has somewhat of a grasp of the situation with the "basically it didn’t appeal to them" comment but then malozzi does his usual thing and goes and shows his colors and wrong impression of what actually happened.

SciphonicStranger

Yeah, I just saw Mallozzi's comment too. :facepalm:

SerenityS

GateFans Member
yep some doubble standards there... i dont much like people that dont know what they are saying when they are saying it and endup saying 2 diffrent things and start talking in circles.

he hits the mark here to at first and has somewhat of a grasp of the situation with the "basically it didn’t appeal to them" comment but then doesn his usual thing and goes and shows his colors and wrong impression of what actually happened.

The "basically it doesn't appeal to them" was part of Randomness' question, not JM's response.

Red Mage

Boney
Patrick> Yeah, I’d love to say it’s because of them, and it would serve them right. But that’s not the truth.
(You're right it's not the truth. The show is cancelled because it was overall terrible and subsequently failed in the ratings)

I was talking to Brad Wright about this a couple of weeks ago, and he said, “It was a perfect storm.”That’s exactly it, and I could list off ten reasons why SGU never got the momentum.
(I think most of us here could list atleast 50 reasons)

But as far as the fan reaction, I hesitate to comment on it, because I get so worked up about it. I’ve talked to a lot of people who have been in the franchise when it first started with SGU.They said, “When we started SGA and SG-1 was cancelled, people crucified us for killing SG-1. So expect the same thing.”And we did get the same thing, but I didn’t pay much attention to it. Then it started getting personal, (You can thank BJS and his mom for that) and having a web presence for actors is kind of a new thing.Twitter was just starting out, and of course I was getting my first recognition on the Internet.So it was hard to ignore, especially when they got personal.
(Again BJS and his mom cast the first stones along with TPTB insulting the old fanbase. Obviously, if the actors and producers sink low enough to offend the viewers, things will get personal. What's Patrick's deal anyways? His character so marginal in the show that no one commented about him at all. Most of the negativity was focused at BJS and Elyse)

Then you would get these sites dedicated to it.
(That was SGUS)

These are clearly people who don’t have a lot going on in their lives, to dedicate their time towards building a website to put people out of work. I don’t understand that vitriol.But the poetic justice for all of these morons is that what happened is you shot yourself in the foot.
(Has he not not learned anything from the BJS fiasco? Don't insult the viewers! Our viewership gives them a job. No one spent 2 minutes insulting Patrick or his character but now he has decided to call everyone at SGU "morons" probably without reading a single word from the site. He's opening himself up for criticism)

“You think getting Stargate Universe cancelled is going to bring back SGA?
(No one ever thought that SGU being cancelled would bring back SGA. We wanted SGU cancelled as soon as possible so eventually a good Stargate show would return to the air sooner. SGU clogging up the air ways wasn't going to give us a NEW (not SGA) Stargate show that is more to our liking)

Well, BS.It went the exact opposite way.”The producers knew it, MGM knew it, and we were all saying it.“You need to support us, because with SGU’s success there was no end to how much more of SGA you were going to see.”
(Well I have to call BS to that. No matter how much support SGU got, SGA wasn't coming back. Period. We knew that. The sets had been dismantled, some of the cast moved on and the writers simply weren't interested. Supporting SGU would only have supported SGU and since most of us didn't like the show, it wasn't in our best interest to invest in efforts to keep the show on the air)

I read an article today about this guy who was anti-gun and it was about gun regulation in the United States. It was a blog that went on for two pages and the title was “Guns kill more people by accident than they do perpetrators breaking into a home.”At the end of the blog, he said, “If you’ve read this far in the article and read my argument then write bananas in the comments. Just add that word so I know you’ve read this far.”Then they show out of the three pages of angry, angry comments, nobody wrote bananas because nobody read it.
(Or they read it and didn't care about the author's directions and just responded to his arguments without bothering with his stupid demands. I wouldn't have written "bananas" either. I would have just written my response to the article if I had read it. I would like to point the finger back at you Patrick. I bet he saw the title of the SGUS website and made this angry comment without reading any of our articles and posts. Hypocrisy)

They saw the title and reacted .That’s what these trolls at SGUSucks or whatever it was did, they reacted and they were idiots.
(Again with the name calling. Actually, he is dead wrong here. According to his example, the people didn't read the article but only reacted to the title. The error with that analogy is that most of us actually watched SGU and simply didn't like it. We gave the show a chance and when we didn't like it, we voiced our opinion of it. How does that make us "idiots"?)

They didn’t cancel SGU, but they didn’t support it so Stargate gets put on ice.
(Thankfully, before the TPTB could do anymore damage to the series)

Stargate isn’t dead, (The one correct thing he said in the entire interview so far) just like Star Trek isn’t dead, Star Wars isn’t dead.Our great grand children will be watching chapter 20 of Star Wars because people are going to want to make money off of it. But the incarnations of SG-1, SGA, and SGU, as far as the TV shows are dead. (Yes) It would have been nice to have a little more support from a story franchise. I hate it, especially today when I’m seeing all these tweets of standing ovations coming in from people who just love it. And they wanted the same thing over and over again. They were happy with the formula.The writers and creators, Brad, Rob, Joe, Carl; they are artists and artists need to change. They can’t continue to do the same thing, they need to test themselves. What’s wonderful is all three series were written by the same people in completely different styles.They succeeded, (No SGU failed miserably. That's why it is cancelled and he is angry) and I think if they had it to do over again, they would do exactly the same thing.

I almost had some respect for this guy but he had to come out and attack the older fans. What is the purpose at this point?​

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
Based on what he knew about the situation he has a point. The situation was far more complex that in first appears though and that's where all the conflict arises from.

Personally, and I'm sure a lot of people on here know this, I was never a fan of targeting SGU and saying it should be cancelled. I never think a show or cast should be targeted like that as its just not fair to the people that are actually enjoying whats being made.
BUT
The people on the site were not mindless hateful people; they were angry and resentful sure - because they felt abandoned by something they were heavily invested in. Brad had every right to go out and make SGU but the fans of Atlantis/SG1 who weren't on board just wanted some kind of support and dialogue to show that they were still wanted and noticed by the people in charge. Ultimately that didn't happen; there was a massive communication failure and those fans felt left out in the cold.
The producers should have been out there saying that those fans are important and telling them what they can do to get movies off the ground. I don't know what happened regarding the shift from SGA to SGU and neither does anyone else - that's where the problem lies, it was a complete PR nightmare.

Back on the flipside though, the fact that sgusucks was created after episode 1 wasn't clever and only served to send the wrong message. I don't respect the attitude of those who think that something should be off the air simply because they don't like it but I am sympathetic to people who felt that sending a bold message was the only way they felt they could be heard.

My 2 cents anyway.

S

Stonelesscutter

he hits the mark here tho at first and has somewhat of a grasp of the situation with the "basically it didn’t appeal to them" comment but then doesn his usual thing and goes and shows his colors and wrong impression of what actually happened.

You're misreading it. The part where "it didn't appeal to them" is the interviewer's suggestion. Mallozzi's answer starts after that and doesn't make much sense.

OMNI

The "basically it doesn't appeal to them" was part of Randomness' question, not JM's response.

aye i noticed that now that you mention it chalk it up to me just casually reading the blog and not relly paying attention to the ravings of a mdman.

OMNI

Based on what he knew about the situation he has a point. The situation was far more complex that in first appears though and that's where all the conflict arises from.

Personally, and I'm sure a lot of people on here know this, I was never a fan of targeting SGU and saying it should be cancelled. I never think a show or cast should be targeted like that as its just not fair to the people that are actually enjoying whats being made.
BUT
The people on the site were not mindless hateful people; they were angry and resentful sure - because they felt abandoned by something they were heavily invested in. Brad had every right to go out and make SGU but the fans of Atlantis/SG1 who weren't on board just wanted some kind of support and dialogue to show that they were still wanted and noticed by the people in charge. Ultimately that didn't happen; there was a massive communication failure and those fans felt left out in the cold.
The producers should have been out there saying that those fans are important and telling them what they can do to get movies off the ground. I don't know what happened regarding the shift from SGA to SGU and neither does anyone else - that's where the problem lies, it was a complete PR nightmare.

Back on the flipside though, the fact that sgusucks was created after episode 1 wasn't clever and only served to send the wrong message. I don't respect the attitude of those who think that something should be off the air simply because they don't like it but I am sympathetic to people who felt that sending a bold message was the only way they felt they could be heard.

My 2 cents anyway.

good post and i agree with it.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
Randomness writes: “Joe, what do you think of this interview with Patrick Gilmore?
http://www.mediablvd.com/magazine/the_news/celebrity/patrick_gilmore_on_%27the_killing%27_and_the_end_of_%27stargate_universe%27_201105232512.html
I’m usually supportive of peoples opinions but I disagree with his comments that some fans hated the show because it wasn’t Stargate Atlantis.
Hater websites aside, I’ve always got the general vibe that people just didn’t like the show because of the direction it took, basically it didn’t appeal to them.”
Answer: Actually, Patrick is absolutely right. ”SOME” fans certainly did hate the show because it wasn’t Stargate Atlantis. They essentially said as much, lobbying for the show’s cancellation in the foolish belief that it would bring back Atlantis. And, when just the opposite happened and the cancellation pretty much killed any hopes of a continuation of the Atlantis storyline, they were left standing around like a bunch of dazed dorks wondering “Wha – happened?”. Watching them scramble to retroactively put a positive spin on their moronic logic (“Oh, uh, we WANTED that to happen!) was an awesome silver lining to the whole affair.
:facepalm:

Joe Mallozzi, thank you very much for your lurking in our forum. We appreciate the support!

As for your comment above, you are wrong for at least 4 reasons:

1. Fans of SGA who "lobbied for the cancellation" of SGU were absolutely right in recognizing that SUPPORTING the new show - which is based on a concept almost opposite to SGA - is exactly the one thing sure to kill any hopes of SGA ever returning again. That would have been the false sign to TPTB that the new direction was what fans wanted. So, yeah, cancelling SGU was the only hope to save SG1 and SGA. Just like the failure of ST:ENT led to a return to the classic roots of ST:TOS.

2. SGA wasn't ever going to return under yours or BW's direction anyway. That was just a carrot you were dangling to get people to watch a show they hated so that you could keep your job. We proved that in our threads that dealt with the early tearing down of the sets for SG1 and SGA. BW was blatantly lying. You were either lying yourself as well or just so clueless and out of the loop as to know even less than the fans.

3. None of the fans hoping for the cancellation of SGU stood around wondering what happened. What happened is exactly what they were expecting. And last time I checked they were partying. So apparently you are confusing your bizarre dream world with reality.

4. And finally, you are wrong, because SG1 and SGA will return. OK, maybe not exactly those shows, but Stargate will return in its old adventure-scifi spirit - not in the form of another soap-fi travesty.

S

Stonelesscutter

BUT

My 2 cents anyway.

I was one of the earlier members of sgusucks but I never wanted the show to get cancelled. I just wasn't happy with what was going on. Gateworld didn't allow enough conversation about it so sgusucks turned out to be a refuge where I found other people that weren't happy. Also I'm definitely not one of the people that were just angry because SGA was cancelled and therefore hated SGU. I'm not even sure how many people would fit into that category. It's just a far too simplistic way of seeing things by TPTW and such. The blame pretty much rests on their own shoulders for not making any noteworthy effort to address the situation. It felt as if TPTW simply didn't give a **** and that I think is the most important reason why they went down.

S

Stonelesscutter

:facepalm:

Joe Mallozzi, thank you very much for your lurking in our forum. We appreciate the support!

As for your comment above, you are wrong for at least 4 reasons:

1. Fans of SGA who "lobbied for the cancellation" of SGU were absolutely right in recognizing that SUPPORTING the new show - a concept almost opposite to SGA - is exactly the one thing sure to kill any hopes of SGA ever returning again. That would have been the false sign to TPTB that the new direction was what fans wanted. So, yeah, cancelling SGU was the only hope to save SG1 and SGA. Just like the failure of ST:ENT led to a return to the classic roots of ST:TOS.

2. SGA wasn't ever going to return under yours or BW's direction. That was just a carrot you were dangling to get people to watch a show they hated so that you could keep your job. We proved that in our threads that dealt with the early tearing down of the sets for SG1 and SGA. BW was blatantly lying. You were either lying yourself as well or just so clueless and out of the loop as to know even less than the fans.

3. None of the fans hoping for the cancellation of SGU stood around wondering what happened. What happened is exactly what they were expecting. And last time I checked they were partying. So apparently you are confusing your bizarre dream world with reality.

4. And finally, you are wrong, because SG1 and SGA will return. OK, maybe not exactly those shows, but Stargate will return in its old adventure-scifi spirit - not in the form of another soap-fi travesty.

Good post. No room for even a needle in between.

Red Mage

Boney
1. Fans of SGA who "lobbied for the cancellation" of SGU were absolutely right in recognizing that SUPPORTING the new show - a concept almost opposite to SGA - is exactly the one thing sure to kill any hopes of SGA ever returning again. That would have been the false sign to TPTB that the new direction was what fans wanted. So, yeah, cancelling SGU was the only hope to save SG1 and SGA. Just like the failure of ST:ENT led to a return to the classic roots of ST:TOS.

:thoranime12:100% agreed.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan

BUT

My 2 cents anyway.

I think I'm not gonna be the only one to beat you with a "green stick" for that post Yoshi :D
It's far more complex an issue that what you have said here mate, but The core of this post is right. People wanted to vent, they were denied on GW to some extent (personal call on how far that extent goes of course :D ), When you try to shut people down, especially on the net, you create counterculture, and thats exactly what SGUS was, counter culture to the "fairies and rainbows" world that GW seemed to want to portray SGU as. Did it get nastly, my word it did, but much of that nastiness was fueled by the TPTB and to a lesser extent, some of the actors. Did it get too extreme? some of it from the SGUS side did, sure, but ONLY in response to the "percieved attacks" on the authors of said posts that were just as extreme.

Think about it. SGUS "attacked" SGU, yep. Some 300 odd fans on a chat forum. What was the response? Slamming by TPTB, Slamming by GW, Slamming from WHR, Slamming from Airlock alpha, Slamming by actors and thier families. Talk about an inbalance of power!! YET THE DOOR WAS ALWAYS LEFT OPEN FOR THEM TO START A DIALOGUE IF THEY WISHED. There was no attempt to shut them up. Yes it would have been a rough ride, but they were never denied a place to come in and say what they wanted. With all that firepower against them, you might think "well hang on guys (SGUS), maybe your wrong and everyone else is right" but here's the thing, it was mostly opinions based on personal perception of a product, and they are never wrong because they are right for the person with said perception.

Arrggghhh, "tis the old wound sire, it has never truly healed"

SciphonicStranger

The more I think about it, this whole thing is making me wish that Volker hadn't survived that kidney transplant... :P

G

Graybrew1

Anytime one of these writers, actors, producers....heck I don't care boom guy, attacks and blames the fans I lose total respect for them. It is not the fans jobs to make them happy, it is their job to make the fans happy. If the show had been good enough the fans would have been happy and watched the show and this would all be a moot point. Each time one of these comments comes out from these people I lose a little more respect for SGU, and I was an actual fan defending the darn show in the beginning. There is little more than a shred left of respect, I hope they stop soon.