Patrick Gilmore (Volker) - Same Ol' Same Ol'

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I said three times. :) And since I remembered her, what does that say about Volker? I cant think of a single line he said in the entire show right at this moment.

I recall one line he said to Brody about having to go take a dump. Considering the quality of the show I thought it was actually pretty good writing I must say.

S

Stonelesscutter

I said three times. :) And since I remembered her, what does that say about Volker? I cant think of a single line he said in the entire show right at this moment.

Wasn't he the one that wanted to name that colony after a font? :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Like I said: I cant think of a single line he said in the entire show right at this moment.

Anybody? :icon_cool:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I think he is the one that pointed out that it was a font.

Two posts up....it wasnt Volker, it was Brody (whose character I can remember several moments and lines). Brody made the comment about the font. I only remember Volker for a sweaty white shirt, and when Greer hold a loaded pistol to his chest in season 1.

G

Graybrew1

Two posts up....it wasnt Volker, it was Brody (whose character I can remember several moments and lines). Brody made the comment about the font. I only remember Volker for a sweaty white shirt, and when Greer hold a loaded pistol to his chest in season 1.

Okay, I am confused. One of them picked the name Futuria and the other told him it was a font. Correct?

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
Okay, I am confused. One of them picked the name Futuria and the other told him it was a font. Correct?

I think Brody came up with Futura and Dr. Park had the line about it being a font.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
I actually remember Volker from that Kino interview Eli did with him in Light or Darkness. He was comparing Rush to Mozart and then went on to talk about several other composers.

This is what I remember him saying in the scene from memory:
"..I mean we can't all be Mozarts, can we? Some of us are... Salieris. I like Salieri. I find his music... soothing, but I'm not saying he's Mozart either! Though Mozart did go a little crazy toward, the end didn't he?"

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Volker brings up the music for 2001, Yes he gets the kidney transplant, he shoots Rush down saying that it "irks" rush that they survived without him. Volker is one of the better background characters, pity Patrick felt the need to vent that way. In some ways I don't blame them for razzing on SGUS, but at the same time, every time it went from character commentary to actor comments was due to something an actor said.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Volker brings up the music for 2001, Yes he gets the kidney transplant, he shoots Rush down saying that it "irks" rush that they survived without him. Volker is one of the better background characters, pity Patrick felt the need to vent that way. In some ways I don't blame them for razzing on SGUS, but at the same time, every time it went from character commentary to actor comments was due to something an actor said.

We took it to the limits on SGUS, but we were a small guerrilla group of about 300 against the SG Productions shill armies on IMDb, a new Nazi controlled Gateworld, several shill websites like Wormholeriders and Airlock Alpha, and we were being heard and we were making waves and boats were listing. We DID have a part in the taking down of SGU, but we could hardly be blamed for its failure. Having said that, he had a point. But his snark and WHO he thought was running that site was way off. Both Patrick and Mallozzi are under the mistaken assumption that it was Atlantis fans, when in fact it was a fairly representative swath of Atlantis AND SG-1 fans who were participating in the anti-fan movement at SGUS.

The bottom line is that Stargate Universe was just not a good show overall (all things considered), and it failed the same way all unpopular, low rated shows do. Patrick's dig at fans who he foolishly claims are angry Atlantis fans are actually STARGATE fans who did not like a soap opera masquerading as Stargate.

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
I'll add this: when has the internet ever influenced the ratings of TV shows? Very very rarely; the majority of viewers don't care what jimbob72 said on forumextreme. I really enjoyed SGU but it didn't work for enough people.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I'll add this: when has the internet ever influenced the ratings of TV shows? Very very rarely; the majority of viewers don't care what jimbob72 said on forumextreme. I really enjoyed SGU but it didn't work for enough people.

The internet does not influence ratings...it influences PEOPLE. People are the ratings. :) Forums and blogs and Twitter and Facebook exist for one reason...to deliver memes. Once a meme has gone viral (positive or negative), it becomes much much greater than the sum of its parts, and that is how tiny independent entities can come to influence the movements, behavior, attitudes, or emotions of millions of others. It has been the bastion of politicians and holy men, but now is in the hands of the minions. Those who understand how it works can use it to affect change.

SGUS spread memes and those memes went viral and affected change in the fandom. Perhaps that is what the threat was for TPTB. Censorship kills memes...intentionally. But unless you control all websites and forums and blogs, you cant use shills and tricks to manipulate the perceptions of others.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
We took it to the limits on SGUS, but we were a small guerrilla group of about 300 against the SG Productions shill armies on IMDb, a new Nazi controlled Gateworld, several shill websites like Wormholeriders and Airlock Alpha, and we were being heard and we were making waves and boats were listing. We DID have a part in the taking down of SGU, but we could hardly be blamed for its failure. Having said that, he had a point. But his snark and WHO he thought was running that site was way off. Both Patrick and Mallozzi are under the mistaken assumption that it was Atlantis fans, when in fact it was a fairly representative swath of Atlantis AND SG-1 fans who were participating in the anti-fan movement at SGUS.

The bottom line is that Stargate Universe was just not a good show overall (all things considered), and it failed the same way all unpopular, low rated shows do. Patrick's dig at fans who he foolishly claims are angry Atlantis fans are actually STARGATE fans who did not like a soap opera masquerading as Stargate.

Sure, we are in accord brother OM1, in fact I said as much on the first page (I think) of this thread :)
In the grand scheme of things however, I don't think we made a tiddlywinks difference to the performance of SGU itself *as an entity* (it handled that all by itself). Did SGUS have an impact on the actors and the "head honcho's" of Syfy/MGM, hmm, perhaps. IF the fans feel the need to create a counter-culture website (which is exactly what SGUS was), then it would be foolish to ignore it. NO ONE on that site woke up one day and said to themselves "gee, whats doing today, nothing, hows about we knock down a show we love", they came there in dribs and drabs because they were concerned about something they cared very deeply about. Were/ are thier "angry SGA fans" in our midst? Sure, but they are ONE aspect of a whole entity, not the entire entity.

What grinds my gears the most however is this BS perception that exists in the minds of (some) of the actors (and fans) that SGUS fired the first shots. Counter-culture exists purely to respond to the percieved foolishness of the "establishment". People ragged on Rush, Lt Scott, Chloe Armstrong et al, NOT Bobbie Carlyle, Brian Smith, Elysse Lavesque et al. Some of the actors then felt the need to take criticism of thier characters to heart and fire back *as themselves* at the "Anti-fans", and they then copped it back with interest on top.

Did some posters make it a little personal to start with? Perhaps, but they were in the minority of a minority and even still, criticism comes with the job description of "personality" and if you can't handle a few people on the net calling you a moron.............

Meh, It doesn't really matter now, SGU failed and thats the bottom line. Me, I wish it didn't, I truly wish it lived up to all it's promise and took the flag of stargate in a new, bold direction that garnered new fans and let the stargate concept continue, but unfortunately, it didn't. It failed so badly at it that I felt compelled to get online and talk about my concerns for a show and a concept I had enjoyed for over 10 years. If that makes me a "hater" then so be it. I have a clean concience, I watched the show, I engaged in discussion, I brought my concerns forward only to be called "one of them". If I had the time to do it again however, I wouldn't change a thing. I'd rather be "one of them" that at least cared about stargate enough to voice my opinion than to be one of the million who just changed the channel.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
Sure, we are in accord brother OM1, in fact I said as much on the first page (I think) of this thread :)
In the grand scheme of things however, I don't think we made a tiddlywinks difference to the performance of SGU itself *as an entity* (it handled that all by itself). Did SGUS have an impact on the actors and the "head honcho's" of Syfy/MGM, hmm, perhaps. IF the fans feel the need to create a counter-culture website (which is exactly what SGUS was), then it would be foolish to ignore it. NO ONE on that site woke up one day and said to themselves "gee, whats doing today, nothing, hows about we knock down a show we love", they came there in dribs and drabs because they were concerned about something they cared very deeply about. Were/ are thier "angry SGA fans" in our midst? Sure, but they are ONE aspect of a whole entity, not the entire entity.

What grinds my gears the most however is this BS perception that exists in the minds of (some) of the actors (and fans) that SGUS fired the first shots. Counter-culture exists purely to respond to the percieved foolishness of the "establishment". People ragged on Rush, Lt Scott, Chloe Armstrong et al, NOT Bobbie Carlyle, Brian Smith, Elysse Lavesque et al. Some of the actors then felt the need to take criticism of thier characters to heart and fire back *as themselves* at the "Anti-fans", and they then copped it back with interest on top.

Did some posters make it a little personal to start with? Perhaps, but they were in the minority of a minority and even still, criticism comes with the job description of "personality" and if you can't handle a few people on the net calling you a moron.............

Meh, It doesn't really matter now, SGU failed and thats the bottom line. Me, I wish it didn't, I truly wish it lived up to all it's promise and took the flag of stargate in a new, bold direction that garnered new fans and let the stargate concept continue, but unfortunately, it didn't. It failed so badly at it that I felt compelled to get online and talk about my concerns for a show and a concept I had enjoyed for over 10 years. If that makes me a "hater" then so be it. I have a clean concience, I watched the show, I engaged in discussion, I brought my concerns forward only to be called "one of them". If I had the time to do it again however, I wouldn't change a thing. I'd rather be "one of them" that at least cared about stargate enough to voice my opinion than to be one of the million who just changed the channel.
GREEN for a very thoughtful and IMO most accurate analysis of the issue!

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Good point! :beckettu:

I don't think the Internet influences viewership of any TV shows but rather it provides a refuge for fans of a concept to go whether they be pro or con, that's all.

SerenityS

GateFans Member
Good point! :beckettu:

I don't think the Internet influences viewership of any TV shows but rather it provides a refuge for fans of a concept to go whether they be pro or con, that's all.

This is what I got out of the old SGUS, a place to vent with like-minded people. Not a place to plot destruction and death.

Blaming "Angry SGA Fans" is like what TBTB did with Keller, they blamed all the dislike of her on "Angry Beckett Fans" when that wasn't the case, either. There were more and complex reasons for disliking both SGU and the character.