Opinions----Good and Bad(Might Include Spoilers)

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
A lot of American sitcoms were copies of, or inspired by, British shows, which were always much better. Friends was actually a British show before it was an American one. Same with Three's Company and many others.

The problem with America is that we dumb down these shows and make them vapid and painfully stupid. A show like Absolutely Fabulous is sharp and witty and clever. It doesn't insult the viewer by dumbing down the jokes but rather it expects the viewer to be clever enough to get them.

The one American show that rose to this level was Frasier. That show was smart and witty and respected the viewer. Another good "sitcom" was Malcolm in the Middle. Pure, pure genius of writing and acting. In fact, the show was so good it's being imitated by many other sitcoms such as Raising Hope. Of course none of these shows are as good as the original though.

There is a new Ab Fab reunion episode running Sunday night on BBCA, but I'm sure that you already knew that. :)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
There is a new Ab Fab reunion episode running Sunday night on BBCA, but I'm sure that you already knew that. :)

Got my seat all warmed up in front of the TV already. ;)

(There's also part 2 of Downton Abbey on PBS playing at the same time; a show I can't miss so I'll have to do some creative taping this Sunday.)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I hated "Malcomb in the Middle".

So I guess, we do have truly different tastes.

"Frasier" was great though. IMO

You're off my Christmas card list! :evil:

G

Graybrew1

You're off my Christmas card list! :evil:

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Somehow or another I have survived off of it for this long. I do hope I can survive longer. ;) Either way Dude, I do respect you Shaved.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Indeed! I didn't get one either.
Still waiting on my valentine's gift from last year for that matter. Or was it two years back?

The only "Christmas card" you'll be getting from me will be a summons to appear in international court in The Hague! Get an attorney -- a good one as you're gonna need him by the time the tribunal is done with you "Herr Crippler".

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Somehow or another I have survived off of it for this long. I do hope I can survive longer. ;) Either way Dude, I do respect you Shaved.

Well if I do send you a Christmas card it will no doubt be a Malcolm in the Middle one. ;)

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
Actually I loved Scrubs -- great show. Superb writing and acting on that one. A rare gem of a sitcom. I despised Friends though as it was formulaic crap about unrealistic yuppy/hipsters living in apartments they could never afford in NY. Big Bang Theory I haven't seen that much except when hanging out with Mom. It too is formulaic and the jokes are telegraphed. I can see them coming from a mile away. It's not horrible though, just rather trite and simplistic.

There aren't any good sitcoms currently, certainly nothing that comes to mind.

A lot of American sitcoms were copies of, or inspired by, British shows, which were always much better. Friends was actually a British show before it was an American one. Same with Three's Company and many others.

The problem with America is that we dumb down these shows and make them vapid and painfully stupid. A show like Absolutely Fabulous is sharp and witty and clever. It doesn't insult the viewer by dumbing down the jokes but rather it expects the viewer to be clever enough to get them.

The one American show that rose to this level was Frasier. That show was smart and witty and respected the viewer. Another good "sitcom" was Malcolm in the Middle. Pure, pure genius of writing and acting. In fact, the show was so good it's being imitated by many other sitcoms such as Raising Hope. Of course none of these shows are as good as the original though.

Honestly, I couldn't have said it better myself.

I loved Scrubs too, even after the plots started to become a bit more uneven sometime during 5th or 6th seasons (9th season wasn't really the same Scrubs so also I don't count that one as part of the show). One thing that was great about Scrubs was that unlike other sitcoms it didn't shy away from tackling issues like death and mortality which most sitcoms just tend to avoid because it's too depressing, or they just put a "humorous" spin on it which makes it all seem a bit cheap. It would just have been a much worse show if it had avoided those issues like most other sitcoms since it's actually set in a bloody hospital.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KWMEhUgsZM

B

Backstep

I liked Rubicon. It was very intriguing. I was sad to see it go. The Killing is great. Can't wait for that to return.

I liked the premise of Rubicon also, but the show just moved to damn slow sadly. I agree The Killing is great and the cliffhanger ending is a nice setup for the new season. Have you watched the original Danish series?

I can't wait to see where they go with Breaking Bad. :)

The logical next step would be have Walter and Jesse take over Gus' operation.

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
AMC has a few shows, Rubicon(canceled), The Killing, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, The Walking Dead, Hell on Wheels. This season of The Walking (dull) Dead is an emo soap opera, the others are pretty good, except for Rubicon whose pace was slower than a sick, half dead sloth.

After seeing Sophia getting a big send-off I will take a pass on the Walking Dead from now on. I already follow The Killing and Med Men. Breaking Bad is great if you ignore the glorification of drug dealers.

Hell On Wheels is a non-missable show. Even if Mr Sweede is actually a Norwegian. If they come up with a sci-fi show I suspect it will be great.

B

Backstep

After seeing Sophia getting a big send-off I will take a pass on the Walking Dead from now on. I already follow The Killing and Med Men. Breaking Bad is great if you ignore the glorification of drug dealers.

Hell On Wheels is a non-missable show. Even if Mr Sweede is actually a Norwegian. If they come up with a sci-fi show I suspect it will be great.

I disagree that Breaking Bad glorifies drug dealers, it shows just the opposite, unless you consider being paranoid all the time, living in consent fear of arrest or being killed by competitors or from within. Plus the ever changing hoops you must jump through to spend a dime of the money you make, a glorification. If the show depicted the characters as living the high life of non-stop party's, carefree spending and all around good time, then I would agree.

If AMC does do a Sci-Fi show, I hope it's based on science and adventure not the new trend of emo soap-fi and what AMC did to TWD this season. :mad:

B

Backstep

I disagree that Breaking Bad glorifies drug dealers, it shows just the opposite, unless you consider being paranoid all the time, living in consent fear of arrest or being killed by competitors or from within. Plus the ever changing hoops you must jump through to spend a dime of the money you make, a glorification. If the show depicted the characters as living the high life of non-stop party's, carefree spending and all around good time, then I would agree.

If AMC does do a Sci-Fi show, I hope it's based on science and adventure not the new trend of emo soap-fi and what AMC did to TWD this season. :mad:

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede

There's only one E in Swede or Sweden, Swedish, etc. ;) Actually, a surprisingly large number of people always seem to get that wrong.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede

There's only one E in Swede or Sweden, Swedish, etc. ;) Actually, a surprisingly large number of people always seem to get that wrong.

S

Stonelesscutter

I liked the premise of Rubicon also, but the show just moved to damn slow sadly. I agree The Killing is great and the cliffhanger ending is a nice setup for the new season. Have you watched the original Danish series?

Nope, haven't seen the Danish one.

S

Stonelesscutter

Nope, haven't seen the Danish one.