Opinions----Good and Bad(Might Include Spoilers)

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
I watched it and... :facepalm: Why can't they make any good sitcoms anymore? Though granted American television almost never manages to pull that off. The only american sitcom I've ever really loved is Scrubs, and after season 4 that went downhill too (though granted the final episodes of season 8 were great). Thank god for brittish sitcoms. Coupling, Absolutely Fabulous, Blackadder, all brilliant shows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uk37TD_08eA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hstPHM3R1dY

[video=youtube;tPD-MrMWYi4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPD-MrMWYi4

S

Stonelesscutter

There's plenty of fun sitcoms from the US. I like "According to Jim" for instance. And how about "Two and a Half Men" and "The Big Bang Theory"? "Friends" was great. Let's not forget "The Cosby Show". :D "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" was nice too.

G

Graybrew1

There's plenty of fun sitcoms from the US. I like "According to Jim" for instance. And how about "Two and a Half Men" and "The Big Bang Theory"? "Friends" was great. Let's not forget "The Cosby Show". :D "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" was nice too.

Most of them are in our past. Big Bang Theory is still around. Two and a Half Men too.

The rest are long gone. I don't think anybody is debating we have HAD them. The problem is getting good ones again.
"How I Met Your Mother" and " Rules of Engagement" are still around and pretty funny, imo. ;) I still love Putty!!!:icon_cool:

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede

Never really cared for any of those shows. Sure Two and A Half Men is pretty fun at least when you're drunk, and How I Met Your Mother is better than watching nothing, but as for the rest: Meh. Also, Friends!? Really? I never got what people liked so much about that show. The only good thing about it was the one and a half minutes of screentime Hugh Laurie got on the show.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNd7dAFnq8c

G

Graybrew1

Dude????

OMG.

Okay not to like some sitcoms. Friends was a classic. Did you see them all? Two and a Half Man has it's moments that will make you pee your pants. HIMYM is hit and miss, but sometimes great. Rules of Engagement is frakin awesome at times. Perhaps you are just that picky. ;) You do realize the shows I mentioned are all huge hits right?? Not just IMO.

S

Stonelesscutter

Never really cared for any of those shows. Sure Two and A Half Men is pretty fun at least when you're drunk, and How I Met Your Mother is better than watching nothing, but as for the rest: Meh. Also, Friends!? Really? I never got what people liked so much about that show. The only good thing about it was the one and a half minutes of screentime Hugh Laurie got on the show.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNd7dAFnq8c

Friends was hilarious. That video you posted was probably the least funny scene in all 10 seasons.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

My 80yo mother watches "The Big Bang Theory". She thinks it's funny, but then again she's 80. What's your excuse?

G

Graybrew1

Big Bang Theory is hilarious. Are you saying it was not to prove your point about "Work It" or just to bust on for busting sake? Once again, these are HUGE hits we are talking about here. Proven and Tried and True. Knee slapping, Yihaa-ing bust a gut huge hits. Don't get me wrong, every clip is not , but overall most were.

You liked Scrubs but not Friends or Big Bang Theory?????? Really?

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
Dude????

OMG.

Okay not to like some sitcoms. Friends was a classic. Did you see them all? Two and a Half Man has it's moments that will make you pee your pants. HIMYM is hit and miss, but sometimes great. Rules of Engagement is frakin awesome at times. Perhaps you are just that picky. ;) You do realize the shows I mentioned are all huge hits right?? Not just IMO.

I know it was a huge hit and all that but I still found it mediocre no matter what. It's true, Two and a Half Men can be pretty damn funny at times but not often enough in the past few seasons, and HIMYM only has Barney "Legendary" Stinson going for it. I don't care that either of those shows were hits, I just didn't care for them. That's all that matters to me.

Big Bang Theory is hilarious. Are you saying it was not to prove your point about "Work It" or just to bust on for busting sake? Once again, these are HUGE hits we are talking about here. Proven and Tried and True. Knee slapping, Yihaa-ing bust a gut huge hits. Don't get me wrong, every clip is not , but overall most were.

I watched Big Bang Theory a few times and most of the characters in that annoyed the hell out of me for some reason. I can't put my finger on it, they just do.

B

Backstep

The best sitcom ever was Married with Children. Goooooooooo Bundy :joy:

G

Graybrew1

I know it was a huge hit and all that but I still found it mediocre no matter what. It's true, Two and a Half Men can be pretty damn funny at times but not often enough in the past few seasons, and HIMYM only has Barney "Legendary" Stinson going for it. I don't care that either of those shows were hits, I just didn't care for them. That's all that matters to me.

I watched Big Bang Theory a few times and most of the characters in that annoyed the hell out of me for some reason. I can't put my finger on it, they just do.

No Problem.

You are still in the major minority for those shows. I loved Friends and I still like Big Bang Theory and Rules of Engagement. HIMYM should have ended after the 2nd season, before that it was grand. IMO.

"To Each His Own", I always say. You enjoy what you enjoy. I enjoy, what I enjoy.

B

Backstep

With virtually no Sci-Fi on regular TV anymore I will take anything at this point. I seem to remember that getting the actors under contract for Caprica was important way back when. And they gave us, what?

Anyways does Stephen Lang and his beard remind anybody of Captain Nemo?

I read somewhere that the only pilot that AMC accepted this year was for a Sci-Fi show. I wonder what that could mean? Oh, darn! Maybe a bunch of viewers might relocate to AMC for 13 weeks a years. Now if they come up with two shows then they are talking. :icon_idea:

AMC has a few shows, Rubicon(canceled), The Killing, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, The Walking Dead, Hell on Wheels. This season of The Walking (dull) Dead is an emo soap opera, the others are pretty good, except for Rubicon whose pace was slower than a sick, half dead sloth.

S

Stonelesscutter

Not a big fan of Married With Children myself. Though it had some funny moments. Not a quality show in my opinion.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Actually I loved Scrubs -- great show. Superb writing and acting on that one. A rare gem of a sitcom. I despised Friends though as it was formulaic crap about unrealistic yuppy/hipsters living in apartments they could never afford in NY. Big Bang Theory I haven't seen that much except when hanging out with Mom. It too is formulaic and the jokes are telegraphed. I can see them coming from a mile away. It's not horrible though, just rather trite and simplistic.

There aren't any good sitcoms currently, certainly nothing that comes to mind.

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
I can't wait to see where they go with Breaking Bad. :)

G

Graybrew1

Dude they are FUNNY.

Monica inherited her rent controlled apartment is Friends, it was addressed a few times. Watch more Big Bang Theory and you might need Mom to do some laundry for you. ;)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
A lot of American sitcoms were copies of, or inspired by, British shows, which were always much better. Friends was actually a British show before it was an American one. Same with Three's Company and many others.

The problem with America is that we dumb down these shows and make them vapid and painfully stupid. A show like Absolutely Fabulous is sharp and witty and clever. It doesn't insult the viewer by dumbing down the jokes but rather it expects the viewer to be clever enough to get them.

The one American show that rose to this level was Frasier. That show was smart and witty and respected the viewer. Another good "sitcom" was Malcolm in the Middle. Pure, pure genius of writing and acting. In fact, the show was so good it's being imitated by many other sitcoms such as Raising Hope. Of course none of these shows are as good as the original though.

G

Graybrew1

I hated "Malcomb in the Middle".

So I guess, we do have truly different tastes.

"Frasier" was great though. IMO