Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Zoom test from my Huawei Honor 6. I took this from Bixby Beach which is 4 blocks away from home. Across the bay, is the Queen Mary and the big dome that the Spruce Goose is in. The first picture is the raw photo, the second one is zoomed in (using Fireworks), and auto-color.

IMG_20180919_071748.jpg

This one is cropped from the above photo, and auto color levels applied in Macromedia Fireworks 8 (old program!)

IMG_20180919_071748_CROPPED_AC.jpg

Last edited:

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Well I figured just blurting out that it looked like a fried dog turd (medium-sized canine) on a bun would be a bit crass. As everyone on this site knows I am the epitome of class and decorum. :02.47-tranquillity:
Mmmmmmm... Deep fried breaded dog turd... My favorite.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Not exactly a picture for "wow what a great shot", but I thought this was an intriguing piece. Right at the entrance of the Ulster museum.

IMG_20181020_151109.jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I took it with Samsung s7 phone. I wish I had a DSLR

Why? :) Believe it or not, many phone cameras (including your Samsung Galaxy S7) have superior specs to many DSLR cameras, and they are much easier to use. You can't get much better than that picture you took. And look at Lord Ba'al's pics....incredible.

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
Why? :) Believe it or not, many phone cameras (including your Samsung Galaxy S7) have superior specs to many DSLR cameras, and they are much easier to use. You can't get much better than that picture you took. And look at Lord Ba'al's pics....incredible.
To take better shots or provide a different point of view. Also, I beg to differ this is taken by Dslr

IMG_20170522_192013_008.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
There is the school that likes the colors vibrant and punchy and there is the other school, which prefers color accuracy and "natural feel" to the pop. No right or wrong just preferences.

Me, I'm, more in the natural colors camp. As the trip photos I have here in other threads evidence I set my camera in that way and indeed having such a camera influenced my decision on what phone to use as not all of them are even capable of the more natural colors.

FYI trip pictures are here:

https://www.gatefans.net/gforums/threads/i-cant-wait-for-december.28320/

https://www.gatefans.net/gforums/threads/the-2017-crossing-the-pond-thread.28673/

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I like the natural colors better as well. I'm glad Google shares this point of view. The display of the Pixel phones is intentionally normal in that regard, as opposed to showing over-saturated colors as is the case for many other manufacturers. You can of course if you want to change the display color settings. Though I find that when I get a notification from Google that they (algorithms) improved one of my pictures, most of the time I don't like it, which is usually because the colors have been altered so much that it looks unnatural. Often some colors are improved but it throws the other colors off.