Joseph Mallozzi: Why wont you tell the fans that YOU DO NOT OWN STARGATE? Why hide the TRUTH?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Even if....

so you think SGA sucked ass.

Even if she watched it only "halfway through the series", then that would be 2 and a half years. The sucking sound of ass was heard the day Stargate Universe started, and its cancelled after only a year and a half. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Thats the conversation I envision!

BRAD WRIGHT: If you fire me and the rest of the Boyz, we will take our Stargate fans with us.

MGM EXECUTIVE: [peruses the ratings summary] Looks like you couldn't even take them to a show with "Stargate" in the title.

BRAD WRIGHT: If you get somebody else to do Stargate, the fans will reject it.

MGM EXECUTIVE: [glances at the ratings again, raises an eyebrow]

BRAD WRIGHT: But, but... I still want Stargate Universe!

MGM EXECUTIVE: You can want it, but we're not your personal bank for this show when it's bombed in the ratings.

BRAD WRIGHT: But the second half could pick up in the ratings! It will get better!

MGM EXECUTIVE: And we could come out of bankruptcy overnight, but that isn't happening either. Let's face it, Brad... we've decided to take the franchise in a new direction, and you're not a good navigator anymore.

Yes, thats about right! I really think Brad has gotten so used to being "the vision of Stargate" that he thinks Stargate cannot exist without him. Or that nobody else can write it. Instead, he is proving that he is thickheaded and "past his expiration date" as somebody here put it. The connections Brad had with the studios are undoubtedly no longer on board or fired, and I seriously SERIOUSLY doubt he will make any headway with them at this point. The show is gone and he needs to stop. I think what is concerning execs right now is how to air the last 10 episodes. It makes no sense to waste its current slot on Tuesdays at 9:00pm with such poor performance. Syfy would do best to air reruns in that slot, since they get better ratings than new episodes of SGU (I love saying that!).

Im sure he is getting a lot of "We will get back to you on that Brad, mkay?" :rotflmao:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
No, not at all.

so you don't think SGA was stinking up the franchise?

No, not at all. I am primarily an SG-1 fan, and these same writers screwed with the formula even in SG-1. Its was the writers who stunk up SGA (when it stunk, which wasnt very often). The writers are at the root of all of the problems with ALL of the shows, including non-canon shows like Stargate Universe and Stargate Infinity. But Stargate Universe stunk from day one. It was the equivalent of Stargate standing on a dimly lit street corner waiting for Johns to stop and offer a "date" with a new audience. The slut of the franchise which isnt really related at all.

Inara

GateFans Noob
so you think SGA sucked ass.

Nope. Still quite enjoy fanfic based on the characters, but I could see the writing on the wall with the writers being bored with it and treating the characters and fans badly, as they'd been doing to a certain extent with SG-1.

I decided to stop watching while I still liked the show and just follow along online with fan updates and fanfic. Much easier than dealing with the drama queens at Bridge. They're the ones sucking ass. Now they're sucking ass trying to retain their jobs.

You also really suck at trolling. :P

Inara

GateFans Noob
I think what is concerning execs right now is how to air the last 10 episodes. It makes no sense to waste its current slot on Tuesdays at 9:00pm with such poor performance. Syfy would do best to air reruns in that slot, since they get better ratings than new episodes of SGU (I love saying that!).

There were rumors that repeats of SG-1 were getting better ratings than new episodes once it moved to SyFy. Since they don't specify which episode the ratings are for, and in fact, one show could in theory place in all top ten spots with different episodes, but they only count the highest one, it was difficult to tell for certain. I do vaguely recall weeks when no new or repeat episode from the SyFy era was shown, yet SG-1 was still at the top of the ratings. So things haven't really changed that much, I guess.

I've heard they're burning off the last five Caprica episodes in a marathon (and I think they're out on DVD before they air), but I can't quite picture them doing that with ten episodes. Maybe an episode a day for two weeks as a sort of special event miniseries thing, or doing a special Saturday and Sunday marathon of five episodes each?

SyFy is notorious for trying to bury shows once they've decided to cancel them. In some cases, they retained "first airing rights" but would air things at 2 a.m. so unless you knew to look, you'd never know it was on. They don't want to risk something that's been canceled getting better ratings after the fact, not even so much as a tenth of a point. It's enough to stir up fans even more than they already are. Doesn't matter that the show is dead, sets are torn down, and the cast and crew have moved on to other roles, it gives some false hope for a revival.

I do wonder if they'll delay airing them until they're already on DVD though. I think that would take a massive chunk out of the ratings, but it's probably a moot point since they've not made a good return on their investment with the ratings they've had. They'll probably do what they have to according to the contract, and that's all.

There's a reason I haven't watched anything on SyFy since I stopped watching SGA. I can't find any sci fi on it. And can't bloody well figure out what the hell "Imagine Greater" means. :facepalm:

Insomnium

GateFans Cadet
Yeah, I Liked SGA (SG-1 as well) but will admit there were plenty of WTF moments , things I did not quite buy (but rolled with them anyway), and wasted opportunities by the writers. But that's more about the apparently limited imagination of TPTB than the show.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I like Japanese cars!

I guess there's no accounting for taste is there ;)
I wouldn't want a mercedes, I think they are often buttugly.
And coincidentally I happen to drive a japanese car. :)

I love lots of Japanese cars. But not when you are buying a German Mercedes. you dont want it to look Japanese. Mercedes has been making cars longer than any other company. How dare they imitate Lexus! The same company that copied them in the first place? LOL!

But Stargate Universe was not even close to Stargate. It couldnt even imitate BSG very well!

Inara

GateFans Noob
Yeah, I Liked SGA (SG-1 as well) but will admit there were plenty of WTF moments , things I did not quite buy (but rolled with them anyway), and wasted opportunities by the writers. But that's more about the apparently limited imagination of TPTB than the show.

They were (and are) burned out. They need to do something new. I know I've watched some of Wright's work on other shows from years past and there was some imagination. He needs to get out of the Gateverse to get some creativity going again.

Those wasted opportunities and WTF moments were just too much sometimes, in both shows. I decided to "watch" the fan filtered version of SGA episodes where fans fixed the problems or at least explained the reasons behind whatever was missing. Though I don't think anyone ever fixed the "funny" episode with the "fan favorite" roofie using Lucius (and unfortunately, I did watch both episodes with him). Unless someone wrote a fic where every woman he raped got to kick him in the balls repeatedly. To this day, I don't think Mallozzi gets that RAPE'S NOT FUNNY.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
They will do something creative, but somehow I dont think they will make the regular schedule.

There were rumors that repeats of SG-1 were getting better ratings than new episodes once it moved to SyFy. Since they don't specify which episode the ratings are for, and in fact, one show could in theory place in all top ten spots with different episodes, but they only count the highest one, it was difficult to tell for certain. I do vaguely recall weeks when no new or repeat episode from the SyFy era was shown, yet SG-1 was still at the top of the ratings. So things haven't really changed that much, I guess.

I've heard they're burning off the last five Caprica episodes in a marathon (and I think they're out on DVD before they air), but I can't quite picture them doing that with ten episodes. Maybe an episode a day for two weeks as a sort of special event miniseries thing, or doing a special Saturday and Sunday marathon of five episodes each?

I know about the Caprica marathon, and thats why I was thinking along those lines, but you are right...10 episodes is a lot. Perhaps they will air them at 10pm? They could use them as a lead out somewhere, or even try them in the daytime along with the soaps. Somehow I cant see them throwing this helpless kitten in with V on Tuesday nights. Diana will have it for dinner every week.

SyFy is notorious for trying to bury shows once they've decided to cancel them. In some cases, they retained "first airing rights" but would air things at 2 a.m. so unless you knew to look, you'd never know it was on. They don't want to risk something that's been canceled getting better ratings after the fact, not even so much as a tenth of a point. It's enough to stir up fans even more than they already are. Doesn't matter that the show is dead, sets are torn down, and the cast and crew have moved on to other roles, it gives some false hope for a revival.

GOOD POINT. They seem to always make sure there is no chance for a resurgence.

I do wonder if they'll delay airing them until they're already on DVD though. I think that would take a massive chunk out of the ratings, but it's probably a moot point since they've not made a good return on their investment with the ratings they've had. They'll probably do what they have to according to the contract, and that's all.

Its a lame duck. Production is over and there is no filming, so the actors and writers have nothing to do right now. Brad is making his pitch for a Plan B but I think it will fall flat. The reason I started this thread is because I got pissed at Joe's snippy announcement that the Atlantis movie (which was never going to be made anyway) had been "shelved indefinitely", and that there was "no possibility of a 4th Stargate series" AS IF! He has no say in the matter, and he knows it. All he knows for sure is that Stargate Universe has been cancelled. Soon enough, he will realize that it also means he is out of a job.

There's a reason I haven't watched anything on SyFy since I stopped watching SGA. I can't find any sci fi on it. And can't bloody well figure out what the hell "Imagine Greater" means. :facepalm:

Imagine Wrestling!

THX1138

GateFans Member
I know about the Caprica marathon, and thats why I was thinking along those lines, but you are right...10 episodes is a lot. Perhaps they will air them at 10pm?

I'm not sure there is a 10pm slot available unless they reschedule their current shows.

Merlin has the Winter slots, Sanctuary has the Spring, Haven has the Summer and assuming Sanctuary is renewed it'll get it's Fall slot again. Maybe SGU could get one of those highly appropriate 2am slots? :mallozzicry:

R

Robbie_Rocket_Pants

fuck you guys, you write a TV show then you can talk.

Aaaahhh, intellectual snobbery at it's best! I can't play a musical instrument or sing but I can judge what I consider to be good music - because it's my right to! Same principle holds true for TV shows ala SGU.

You are right about one thing though - being a TV show writer is not my chosen vocation so that is why I am not one! It is however, the chosen vocation of JM & BW.............. maybe they should have become binmen instead.

R

Robbie_Rocket_Pants

you must be still suffering from stargate atlantis cancellation syndrome. take your meds.

Wow, regurgitating the same PTB nonsense - get some of your own new material Troll!!

We are not exclusively SGA fans, we are STARGATE fans. It is just a very convenient ploy/scapegoat for you that SGA JUST HAPPENED to be the show before SGU/was cancelled for SGU - that is all.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
PERFECT! Even KEK has to agree with you.

I love that thread! Even the infamous KEK has to agree with you...JM, Brad, none of the writers, producers past or present own Stargate. ONLY the studio owns it and ONLY they can "shelve" anything or say what is going to happen next. I love the way you kept putting that out there...nobody can dispute it. :joy:

So, why arent the naive little fools on JM's blog asking him these things over and over when he makes announcements to websites telling them that the Atlantis movie has been "shelved indefinitely". Just LOL! Even Snookie got in on the action! Its out there and cannot be put back in the bag. Like I said earlier, it will be VERY hard for Mallozzi or Brad to dance around this one...neither of them can dance THAT well.

A Commendation for you, brave soldier! :shepsalute:

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Intellect triumphs over rabidiness.

Snookie did a fine job! *sniff* *snuffle* *snerk* THis mama grizzly is sooooooooo proud! she's got my quyick wit and big brown eyes. :D Great job fumbles. They can no longer deny that Loretta and Bernice have no control over the stagate franchise !:D:D

Off topic note--- whenever I type "Loretta" I flash back to tommy lee jones in Coal Miner's Daughter and the way he drawls Loooretta. Too freaking funny I know! :icon_lol:

heisenberg

Earl Grey
What I wonder is given Joseph M and Brad Wright's track record, they would have a say when they(MGM) have their executive meetings no? But ultimately yes the decision is up to MGM, but, I would tend to lean over that Brad wright and Joseph M do have a say and do influence what direction they want stargate go to.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Then you would be wrong.

What I wonder is given Joseph M and Brad Wright's track record, they would have a say when they(MGM) have their executive meetings no? But ultimately yes the decision is up to MGM, but, I would tend to lean over that Brad wright and Joseph M do have a say and do influence what direction they want stargate go to.

But they do not have that influence at all. Where would it come from? Brad Wright and Joseph Mallozzi are writers/producers HIRED by the old MGM more than a decade ago to write Stargate. They not only destroyed the franchise, but they are stubbornly trying to revive their cancelled, failed show. If anything, they are being BLAMED for its failure by execs. They have NO INFLUENCE whatsoever. They already used their influence to change the direction of the Stargate franchise and they destroyed it. They have been fired.

It never fails to amaze me how many uninformed fans take Mallozzi and Brad at their word. Did Brannon Braga have a say in what was going to happen with Trek after he destroyed the Trek TV franchise with Enterprise? How many writers/producers have been hired and fired to write the Batman movies? WHY have they been rotating them? You need to look deeper into these things before making statements like you did. So....

REALITY CHECK:

Joseph Mallozzi and Brad Wright have NO say about Stargate's future.
Joseph Mallozzi and Brad Wright have NO INFLUENCE and DO NOT MAKE DECISIONS AT ALL.
Stargate belongs to MGM and they do not need to consult with Brad or Joe on any level at all.

Nani

GateFans Noob
But they do not have that influence at all. Where would it come from? Brad Wright and Joseph Mallozzi are writers/producers HIRED by the old MGM more than a decade ago to write Stargate. They not only destroyed the franchise, but they are stubbornly trying to revive their cancelled, failed show. If anything, they are being BLAMED for its failure by execs. They have NO INFLUENCE whatsoever. They already used their influence to change the direction of the Stargate franchise and they destroyed it. They have been fired.

It never fails to amaze me how many uninformed fans take Mallozzi and Brad at their word. Did Brannon Braga have a say in what was going to happen with Trek after he destroyed the Trek TV franchise with Enterprise? How many writers/producers have been hired and fired to write the Batman movies? WHY have they been rotating them? You need to look deeper into these things before making statements like you did. So....

REALITY CHECK:

Joseph Mallozzi and Brad Wright have NO say about Stargate's future.
Joseph Mallozzi and Brad Wright have NO INFLUENCE and DO NOT MAKE DECISIONS AT ALL.
Stargate belongs to MGM and they do not need to consult with Brad or Joe on any level at all.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Brad Wright and Joe Mallozzi MGM employees, hired to run one of (what was) MGM's products?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yes, but they have been fired.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Brad Wright and Joe Mallozzi MGM employees, hired to run one of (what was) MGM's products?

Brad and Joe are employees of Stargate Productions, and Stargate Productions had a contract with MGM to produce Stargate under license. So, they do not exactly "work for MGM". MGM cannot dissolve Stargate Productions, but without a contract or licensing rights, they (SGP) cannot produce any more Stargate. Even if they got funding from an outside source, they still would have to pay MGM to use the license and I very much doubt MGM would allow that, given what they have done to destroy its value.

Why not just ask Joe? :) The more you know, the clearer things become.