Joseph Mallozzi: Why wont you tell the fans that YOU DO NOT OWN STARGATE? Why hide the TRUTH?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Joseph Mallozzi, I certainly hope SOMEBODY on your blog will ask you the questions that nobody seems to be asking you directly. The fans who have been with this for a while already know the cold hard TRUTH, which is the following:

• You do NOT control the Stargate name, the Stargate license or Stargate productions.
  • You are NOT a decision maker with regard to what movies get made and which dont, or who will write them or star in them.
  • You have no power to "shelve" any script belonging to MGM.
  • You do NOT get to set priorities for any Stargate movie which might be made or not made.
  • You are technically no more than an employee of MGM as a contractor, and your contract has been terminated.
So, when somebody finally challenges...er....asks you directly about these things, what are you going to say? Are you going to lie or waffle and avoid like you usually do? But more directly, why are you purposely misleading your blog readers and the naive SGU fans who dont have enough curiosity to check out the facts? But thats what this site does, and Im going there. First, the facts:

MGM owns all rights to Stargate...AND Stargate Universe:

Stargate Universe and SGU TM & © 2010 Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

MGM Global owns all the copyrights for visual and literal elements of Stargate.

And as far as I can tell from using crawlers and making a few calls, there is NO contract between you and MGM which would grant you powers to "shelve" or green-light ANYTHING having to do with Stargate. If movies are going to be made, then MGM will decide if they want to use THEIR scripts (yes, that includes Extinction too), or if they want to do something entirely different. Just because you want SGU to be a movie, and just because the sets are up doesnt really mean anything but hope...for YOU. In reality, those sets are now costing MGM money to maintain at Bridge, and SGU has been cancelled. You are telling your blog readers that "you are concentrating on SGU and SGU alone" means NOTHING to the studio. You can think whatever the hell you want to think but you do NOT call the shots, mkay? When are you gonna fess up?

Brad's buddies at MGM have been fired. His connections with execs were from the OLD, spendthrift MGM which went bankrupt. Bankrolling SGU sight unseen was part of that old MGM culture. But now, you have "money people" at the top watching for a decent return on investment, and SGU is simply not a vehicle for that. Nope, you are protecting THIS:

img_8134.jpg

That office exists because you were Executive Producer for Stargate Universe, and that show has now been cancelled. It doesnt take rocket science to put the "puzzle" together and solve it. I could have had some sympathy for you, but you are...well...an asshole. :icon_e_wink:. You have been nothing but snarly and rude and condescending to the very fans who are responsible for your former fame. We have served justice. But now its time to clarify the situation for the fans.

Somebody is going to ask you if any of this is valid. We will be watching for your answers (as always). If you try to censor them, they will come here, and they will be able to speak out regardless of any censorship on your blog or on Gateworld. Its time to fess up, Joe.

Tell em, Joe...its that time.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Sadly, I doubt he'll ever reply to this.

He wants to maintain the fiction that he has any power over what happens with the Stargate franchise.

MGM/SearchLight, I'm sure, look at it in an entirely different manner.

PS: MGM will be moving from their long time headquarters in Los Angeles' Century City to less expensive digs in (wait for it) Beverly Hills. Now that they've crawled out of bankruptcy, they're watching everything they spend and will be very careful who gets their pocket lint, much less their pennies.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Im in Century City and Beverly Hills at least 3 days every week!

Sadly, I doubt he'll ever reply to this.

He wants to maintain the fiction that he has any power over what happens with the Stargate franchise.

MGM/SearchLight, I'm sure, look at it in an entirely different manner.

PS: MGM will be moving from their long time headquarters in Los Angeles' Century City to less expensive digs in (wait for it) Beverly Hills. Now that they've crawled out of bankruptcy, they're watching everything they spend and will be very careful who gets their pocket lint, much less their pennies.

I have done work in MGM's offices (recently, as I posted). Century City and Beverly Hills are adjacent to each other. :) It actually costs less to have offices in Beverly Hills than in Century City. And MGM has a whole tower to themselves (MGM Plaza). It would make more fiscal sense to sell the Plaza and lease space in Beverly Hills before expanding again into their own buildings.

But the main thing to keep in mind is that Joseph Mallozzi has NOTHING to say about anything Stargate, short of begging and pleading with his former employers. I could admire that, but Joe is misleading the fans who read his blog by implying that he gets to decide what movies get made and which dont, what gets priority over what, and so forth. Fans are taking him at his word when he is a proven liar when it comes to facts. But nobody is asking THESE questions on his blog, because it hasnt crossed their minds.

But the fans read this site. They will see this, and somebody with some guts might just ask him if any of this is true. Im certain somebody will do it. :)

Tropicana

Council Member
I think JM & Co. would consider that defeat in the hands of "SGU Haterz" and they will do what they can for that not to happen; they want to prove us wrong and yet life seems to have a funny way of siding with us. Oooh magic!

Subsequently, just imagine the scene, JM announces they don't own SG that MGM does, followed by another dig at us claiming MGM stripped him of ownership, due to decline of SGU by the haters.

The squeedrones will SQUEEEEEELLL like a pig and start BSing how it is our fault, blah blah blah.

SG-Rocks

GateFans Noob
Like OM says, JoMo is just the hired help. He was never in the Group of Five in the SGU production company incorporation. He has diddly squat to say about how things go. Joe is a writer plus whatever phoney baloney titles they want to hang on his ego. If he wants to relay the "buzz" on his blog that's up to him. I'm sure not interested in pictures of animal tongues for lunch or anime cartoons.

Lilith

GateFans Noob
Don't let the yapping dog confuse you. Loretta is just the tail. The rhetoric coming out of his mouth is supplied verbage and Bernice is smart to let him tangle with the fans which will be to his detriment because all the fingers will point to him as fanning the anger. His snarky remarks just look like hysterical rantings. He reminds me of Jack on Will and Grace. Love Jack, he made me laugh as does Loretta. Can't get that picture out of my head now.

Bernice is trying to save his own ass and will throw Loretta under the bus so fast. It could become a bargining tool; give me this and it won't include Loretta because he angered the fans and they don't like him anymore. Bernice has never replied with a rebuttal to any online questions or comments. His arena is well orchestrated and controlled what he didn't expect was that public opinion and or critics wouldn't favor him. I'm sure he is learning alot about blood pressure and anger management too bad he isn't taking a class on humility.

SerenityS

GateFans Member
Don't let the yapping dog confuse you. Loretta is just the tail. The rhetoric coming out of his mouth is supplied verbage and Bernice is smart to let him tangle with the fans which will be to his detriment because all the fingers will point to him as fanning the anger. His snarky remarks just look like hysterical rantings. He reminds me of Jack on Will and Grace. Love Jack, he made me laugh as does Loretta. Can't get that picture out of my head now.

Bernice is trying to save his own ass and will throw Loretta under the bus so fast. It could become a bargining tool; give me this and it won't include Loretta because he angered the fans and they don't like him anymore. Bernice has never replied with a rebuttal to any online questions or comments. His arena is well orchestrated and controlled what he didn't expect was that public opinion and or critics wouldn't favor him. I'm sure he is learning alot about blood pressure and anger management too bad he isn't taking a class on humility.

I think the thread is long since deleted, but Bernice did get into it with fans a while ago at Gateworld. He also posted some extremely snarky responses to questions on JM's blog awhile back. So sometimes, he is unable to contain himself either. (Yeah, V is just another letter in the alphabet!)

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I think the thread is long since deleted, but Bernice did get into it with fans a while ago at Gateworld. He also posted some extremely snarky responses to questions on JM's blog awhile back. So sometimes, he is unable to contain himself either. (Yeah, V is just another letter in the alphabet!)
Interesting, isn't it, when the inmates begin to turn on one another...

Lilith

GateFans Noob

Wow, I wasn't aware of this. I'm going look that up, thanks.

stclare

Moderator & Mckay Super Fan
Wow, I wasn't aware of this. I'm going look that up, thanks.

Oh yes sir indeed. I was on GW when that happened.

The BW on GW was when he called sg1 and sga bubble gum shows and the shit hit the fan and he said he knew once he'd made that remarke it would get him in trouble. From my recollection it may have been in the sg1/sga forum i dont think it was in the news thread.

Joe m's q&a with BW was legendary, that really started the hate /hate relashionship between fans and him imo. he was pissed that fans were asking q's about sga and not about his shiney new toy. he did mention in another interview right after his q+q that he would not do another q+a like that as he felt we were rude in our questions.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
You know what I would find hillarious?

If JM took off the gimp suit that Brad is holding the leash to, and independantly aproached syfy/MGM about producing SGA S6.

Not gonna happen (and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want it to happen), but damn that would be some funny shit right there.

Inara

GateFans Noob
Joe's trying to keep his name in front of fans who'll believe what he says no matter what and cheer him on, in the slim hopes that doing so will fool MGM into think he has some relevance and is worthy of a job.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
The average person, whose understanding of entertainment is that they watch it, doesn't understand exactly what's involved in bringing a show to the air. Money doesn't just spontaneously appear.

The developers of the show have to plead their case and provide detailed storyboards and/or some kind of pilot for the studio to see and decide whether or not they want to pick it up.

Even then, there's no guarantee that the show that was picked up will even see the air. We've seen that happen with a couple "new" shows over the past few years. We're never even given the chance to see it. Like the lucid zombie tv pilot that was made, but apparently never shown. I would have liked to see it, as I love Ray Stevenson, however the network obviously wasn't as impressed as I was.

And as I've said before, with money being near and dear to MGM/UA right now, there's no way they're spending money on something they won't make any money on. They have enough of a loss right now to deal with their taxes. They won't need any more for a long while, yet.

Hyndara

GateFans Noob
Well written, OM, but I fear the squee drones will not believe in you but in their shiny, glimmer God JM. I cannot say how often I felt the need to do a headdesk the last days - yes, from christmas and JM's and BW's "we will fight the fight for our SGU! And when it will come to WWIII, we will get our movie(s)!". don't know if the squee drones are really this stupid or if they will realize at least what TPTW is trying to do with using them. It's nearly wasting time to argue with a SGU-fan this days *shakes head*.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yep, Thats the core of this thread...Joe's irrelevance.

Joe's trying to keep his name in front of fans who'll believe what he says no matter what and cheer him on, in the slim hopes that doing so will fool MGM into think he has some relevance and is worthy of a job.

EXACTLY. Stargate is important, and its a valuable MGM property which still has lots of profitable life left in it. But despite the delusional thinking of Brad Wright and Joseph Mallozzi, Stargate Universe is not Stargate. They think that Stargate is a franchise which can have "products" attached to the name even if those products are totally unrelated. Sorry, but NO. As soon as these morons lost sight of what they were supposed to be writing, they should have moved on or asked for advice. But they have made their last mistake with Stargate Universe and its time for them to retire.

Joe and Brad both think that THEY are Stargate. They think that Stargate = The Vision of Brad Wright/Robert Cooper/Glassener/Gero et al. Thats where they are wrong. Stargate is the brainchild of Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin and it has a very specific core formula. When Stargate was following that core formula, it was successful. When it drifted from that formula, it slowly failed, with Stargate Universe being the equivalent of swallowing a cyanide capsule. :icon_e_wink:

The average person, whose understanding of entertainment is that they watch it, doesn't understand exactly what's involved in bringing a show to the air. Money doesn't just spontaneously appear.

The developers of the show have to plead their case and provide detailed storyboards and/or some kind of pilot for the studio to see and decide whether or not they want to pick it up.

Even then, there's no guarantee that the show that was picked up will even see the air. We've seen that happen with a couple "new" shows over the past few years. We're never even given the chance to see it. Like the lucid zombie tv pilot that was made, but apparently never shown. I would have liked to see it, as I love Ray Stevenson, however the network obviously wasn't as impressed as I was.

And as I've said before, with money being near and dear to MGM/UA right now, there's no way they're spending money on something they won't make any money on. They have enough of a loss right now to deal with their taxes. They won't need any more for a long while, yet.

Right on point. Right now, the strategy has to be two pronged for these producers. They have to sell SOMETHING to the studio to keep a job. They have to convince MGM that the fans are behind them in support of "the franchise", when its not exactly that way. Joe and Brad do not understand or see that the SGU fan group is a clique which consists of very few Stargate fans (meaning fans of the movie, SG-1 or SGA). Its not the core Stargate fandom who is watching this show, and thats because its not Stargate. Joe and Brad will say that "the fans" want more Stargate Universe, and they are really pushing for DVD sales and iTunes downloads. But this time, its gonna be a tough sell using sweet talk. The numbers reveal the truth to those who make decisions. Flat sales for SGU DVD sets, but steady sales for SG-1 and SGA DVD sets. Rerun ratings are higher for SGA and SG-1 than they are for new episodes of SGU. Even 20 year old Star Trek TNG episodes get better ratings than SGU!

New shows, just as you said, must be somewhat fleshed out before any real money is spent. Storyboards, scripts, perhaps a pilot...these idiots are pitching a show which has already failed. What irks me is that if they loved "the franchise" so much, then why arent they fighting for anything else BESIDES Stargate Universe? I dont see any reason why MGM should retain any of these people, except that nobody has come forward and expressed serious interest in taking over the Stargate franchise. Less than 5 years ago, Emmerich and Devlin said they were talking to MGM about sequels to the original movie. Something like that could re-ignite Stargate.

Joe and Brad have no power to decide what is going to happen with the future of Stargate. People listening to them speak with authority are being misled intentionally.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
S

Stonelesscutter

The name is Joseph Mallozzi... I SAID JOSEPH MALLOZZI!

I would just like to point out that it might be better to refer to Joseph Mallozzi as Joseph Mallozzi since referring to Joseph Mallozzi as Joseph Mallozzi should result in Google giving more links to pages on this site to people who search for Joseph Mallozzi when they search for Joseph Mallozzi.
Please refer to Joseph Mallozzi as Joseph Mallozzi as much as possible when you talk about Joseph Mallozzi here, it would be fun for people who don't like Joseph Mallozzi very much.
Who knows perhaps even Joseph Mallozzi himself will stumble upon more articles about Joseph Mallozzi on this site when he searches Google for Joseph Mallozzi.
And if Joseph Mallozzi does pay us a visit when looking for articles about Joseph Mallozzi then he might catch a glimpse of my shiny cute little avatar.
Perhaps then Joseph Mallozzi would get irritated or angry like only Joseph Mallozzi can.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
EXACTLY

I would just like to point out that it might be better to refer to Joseph Mallozzi as Joseph Mallozzi since referring to Joseph Mallozzi as Joseph Mallozzi should result in Google giving more links to pages on this site to people who search for Joseph Mallozzi when they search for Joseph Mallozzi.

Please refer to Joseph Mallozzi as Joseph Mallozzi as much as possible when you talk about Joseph Mallozzi here, it would be fun for people who don't like Joseph Mallozzi very much.
Who knows perhaps even Joseph Mallozzi himself will stumble upon more articles about Joseph Mallozzi on this site when he searches Google for Joseph Mallozzi.
And if Joseph Mallozzi does pay us a visit when looking for articles about Joseph Mallozzi then he might catch a glimpse of my shiny cute little avatar.
Perhaps then Joseph Mallozzi would get irritated or angry like only Joseph Mallozzi can.

EXACTLY...its fun to use the pet names we have come up with for them, but I am always conscious of using their REAL names when making statements which I want to be heard about them because Google picks up the names. Bernice and Loretta are funny names for them, but Google will index them under Bernice or Loretta, which defeats the purpose of getting the articles out there . Also, the search WITHIN this site will pick up Bernice or Loretta and not Joseph Mallozzi.