Joe Flanigan

SerenityS

GateFans Member
What's Flanigan's new show? Is it sci-fi related?

And yes, AT is pretty kick ass. I'm glad she's so successful post-SG1. TPTB for SGU could learn a thing or two from her on how to make a successful show.

JF has a TV movie airing on Fox Jan 8th called Change of Plans. It is not sci-fi, but a show about a couple who ends up taking in 4 kids after their parents die. It has a former American Idol contestant, Brooke White as his wife. I would normally never watch it but will just to see Joe on screen again. :) It might or might not get picked up as a series, right now it's just a one time movie.

He does have one of those cheesy Syfy Movies coming out next year, Alien Abyss(The Other Side) which was filmed in Ireland earlier this year.

As to JF not having to work, from what I can tell, the Flanigan kids come from a wealthy background, but they have all been expected to work and make their own way in the world, for the most part. I don't think that his being able to afford a home in Malibu is soley from inherited wealth. And it must cost a fair amount to maintain - he probably doesn't do all those cons just for the fun of it. :P

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
The man's like Dick Clark. He never ages.

I remember seeing him in "The Other Sister" and thinking JOHN!

That movie's now something like 11 years old now (at least, that was the release date. In Hollywood, it could sit on a shelf for years before it's released).

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Joe Flanigan has class. He has been wealthy long enough to be USED TO IT. There is a level one reaches only after having been wealthy for a long time...one of relaxed simplicity. Flan wears jeans, surfs, smiles and laughs, because he is HAPPY. You wont find him sticking out his pinky at some pretentious restaurant or flashing fake smiles at cameras like Joseph Mallozzi.

THAT is why I believe that if he truly wants to do Atlantis, the new MGM will listen. I really want his new show to do well, as it would be a great feather in his cap. Amanda Tapping is already a force to contend with. And she still has a job! :D

Yep replace the current PTB with the Flan and watch Mallozzi cry! :mallozzicry:
The man's like Dick Clark. He never ages.

I remember seeing him in "The Other Sister" and thinking JOHN!

That movie's now something like 11 years old now (at least, that was the release date. In Hollywood, it could sit on a shelf for years before it's released).
Yep- seems his hair NEVER lies down. ;)

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You mean he will SLEEP for three days!

Im just imagining Joe Flanigan laughing with Jason Momoa at the fate of SGU and especially of Joseph Mallozzi. If Mallozzi doesnt cut back his lifestyle, he is going to be in trouble later on.

Aragon101

Illusive Deity of Fanfic
You know, i'm pretty snobbish at times. I enjoy calamari and octopus, but it's something to save for special times, not everyday. Hell i catch flak from some friends for refusing to drink Tim Horton's coffee, instead going to Second Cup or Starbucks or any independant coffee shop (I still drink their tea though). Dammit, i LOVE my coffee. That being said, i NEVER go so far as to try and make myself seem more 'important' because of that. Hell i bring nerf guns to work to mess around with everyone. Another thing is that being pretentious is just another way to compensate for some kind of self-vulnerablity like a lack of wealth/happiness/size. At least being pretentious for something other than a 'quality' reason.

Inara

GateFans Noob
JF has a TV movie airing on Fox Jan 8th called Change of Plans. It is not sci-fi, but a show about a couple who ends up taking in 4 kids after their parents die. It has a former American Idol contestant, Brooke White as his wife. I would normally never watch it but will just to see Joe on screen again. :) It might or might not get picked up as a series, right now it's just a one time movie.

The really fun bit? Joe plays a USAF pilot in this movie. Looking at some of the promo shots, you'd think they were for Atlantis. :icon_e_wink:

rsharpe

GateFans Noob

He does have one of those cheesy Syfy Movies coming out next year, Alien Abyss(The Other Side) which was filmed in Ireland earlier this year.

As to JF not having to work, from what I can tell, the Flanigan kids come from a wealthy background, but they have all been expected to work and make their own way in the world, for the most part. I don't think that his being able to afford a home in Malibu is soley from inherited wealth. And it must cost a fair amount to maintain - he probably doesn't do all those cons just for the fun of it. :P

I'd guess just by the way he was in the meet and greet I was lucky enough to attend in Vancouver in April that he is not snobbish in any way about his money. He was drinking coffee from a vending machine and wearing jeans and a very rumpled shirt, as though he'd just grabbed the first thing he could find. He must be a great dad because at our encouragement he talked a lot about his kids. He was just very gracious, both there and later at the photo op and the autograph session. I had an extra pic (cartoon) of him as John flying a small remote control puddlejumper and I let him keep it after he autographed my copy. He seemed absolutely overwhelmed and keep saying, "Really? I can have this?" So sweet!

Attachments

• Joewildhairsmall.jpg
    Joewildhairsmall.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 412

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I'd guess just by the way he was in the meet and greet I was lucky enough to attend in Vancouver in April that he is not snobbish in any way about his money. He was drinking coffee from a vending machine and wearing jeans and a very rumpled shirt, as though he'd just grabbed the first thing he could find. He must be a great dad because at our encouragement he talked a lot about his kids. He was just very gracious, both there and later at the photo op and the autograph session. I had an extra pic (cartoon) of him as John flying a small remote control puddlejumper and I let him keep it after he autographed my copy. He seemed absolutely overwhelmed and keep saying, "Really? I can have this?" So sweet!
The Flan seems very down to earth and as "real" as any actor can be, and I like that about him.

I've never heard anything about his being aloof.

I'll be following whatever he does in the future. :)

Chucknician

GateFans Noob

I was lucky enough to met Joe and Jason at Chevron 7.2 in Bedford, (with Colin Cunningham, Alexis Cruz and Peter Williams from SG1). They were all amazing and so very friendly and funny, boy were they funny. Colin Cunningham was a real character " ha ha":joy:

Joe and Jason had us in stitches the whole time and the photo op well, I look like some sort of 13 year old little girly with the cheesy grin ear to ear. Because I had Joe Flanigans arm around my waist and mine around his( talk about weak at the Knees:redface:). He was just so nice when you were waiting for the autograph session, and he actually chatted, not the of sort NEXT attitude but chatted with you. Which was great because we only had the cheap tickets so no meet an greet only the gold ticket holders had that pleasure ( hate them :P“ ha ha”). But point is they still managed to make the rest of us feel wanted. :icon_cool:

But both of them actually seemed to want and spend time talking to the fans, it didn’t feel forced, they came across like they really appreciated the fans. Jason even mingled at the bar in the hotel in the evening with the fans as did the others, sadly Joe was staying at a different hotel in London with his wife. And the convention goers were just brilliant made so many new friends too.

I can honestly say it was one of the best experiences I have ever had and it was the first time I'd ever been to a convention the only reason we went was solely because Joe was there.:joy:

I think Joe is a class act and I now follow what he and the others do, sadly the movie change of plans doesn’t seem to be being shown here ( well yet anyways). But it goes to show how nice Joe and SGA/SG1 fans are irrespective of where they are. Because I came across a lady who was making a comment about the new Fox movie and I had said about being in the UK and unhappy that I wouldn’t get to see it. And she offered to record it for me, she lives in Texas, we now have each other email address and exchange mail and chat and it’s nice. :)

SerenityS

GateFans Member
Happy Birthday to Joe!

Today is Joe's birthday (thanks Hyndara for the reminder) so:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOE F!

and Paul McGillion too! :)

Nani

GateFans Noob
shep_salute_zuz.gif Happy Birthday, Mr. Flanigan! th_FangirlsShep.gif
& Mr. McGillion! beckett_turtle_zuz.gif

Thank you for all the good times! :atlrocks:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Happy Birthday Joe!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Joe Flanigan!

Joe needs a jingle like Jockster had in Xena. :)

fumblesmcstupid

GateFans Noob
I'm a girl and I don't like Chick Flicks......So I am not sure if I want to watch Change of Plans.

I would rather wait for his army movie vs um thingy/monsters

SerenityS

GateFans Member
I'm a girl and I don't like Chick Flicks......So I am not sure if I want to watch Change of Plans.

I would rather wait for his army movie vs um thingy/monsters

I normally wouldn't be watching this, but I'll watch just about anything to see Joe back on screen again!:)

(From the reviews, it's not exactly a Chick Flick (romance type thingy) but more a feel-good show about families and sacrifice for a greater good. And he plays an Air Force pilot- imagine the AU and crossover fic!