Is it just me, or does Ascension sound like another bout of Soap-Fi?

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
Was that the finale episode? Because, if it ended like that, the writers need a good ass-kicking.

Yes. Yes, the writers needed a good ass-kicking. However, some have speculated that this miniseries would be a back door pilot for a new series. How such a series be produced? I have no idea.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
http://www.avclub.com/review/ascension-213172

For instance, in justifying the gargantuan amount of money spent on this 51-year project, its director suggests that many of our greatest scientific advances actually originated on Ascension. That’s all well and good, but there’s no sense that anyone on the ship actually does any scientific research whatsoever, not when they spend all their days scheming and screwing, often simultaneously.

:icon_rotflmao::icon_rotflmao::icon_rotflmao::icon_rotflmao:

Bluce Ree

Yes. Yes, the writers needed a good ass-kicking. However, some have speculated that this miniseries would be a back door pilot for a new series. How such a series be produced? I have no idea.

Aw, geez, I hope not. The premise is too finite and limited for any kind of prolonged story telling.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
So there never was an actual ship? Okay this just went from far fetched to outright stupid. All these people NEVER figure out they are NOT IN SPACE?

Last edited:

Bluce Ree

So there never was an actual ship? Okay this just went from far fetched to outright stupid. All these people NEVER figure out they are NOT IN SPACE?

Well, everyone except for XO Token Gault who is magically transported to another planet by the little girl with X-Men powers. That ending made absolutely no sense.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The irony is SyFy pours the money into this dreck which is getting slammed everywhere but they also had an ultra cheap show this year (Z Nation) which was really good. They should have cancelled Ascension before production when they read the preliminary script and saw how stupid it was and given the money to the producers of Z Nation instead.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan

http://www.avclub.com/review/ascension-213172

A.V.Club said:
(Though writer and co-creator Philip Levens has said he’s optimistic Syfy will order more episodes, much as the Battlestar Galactica reboot used an opening miniseries to launch full seasons.)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Well, everyone except for XO Token Gault who is magically transported to another planet by the little girl with X-Men powers. That ending made absolutely no sense.

I saw the "little girl with magic powers" in a promo and that pretty much ended any interest I might have with this show. :tealc_new050:

I am so goddamn sick of the "magic alien/super power child" trope that I could scream. It doesn't even rise to the level of lazy writing anymore, rather, it's just outright pathetic. :sour:

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
I am not going to ask you how you know that....:P This thing is so dumb. If I didnt know any better, I would say it was written while the writers were sitting around passing a joint of some kickass bud (and halfway through the second bottle of Stoli). The size of the ship poses as much of an issue as the utterly implausible stuff that is allegedly going on inside. I was laughing too hard and had too much a negative attitude in the first 15 minutes to finish watching it. I will try again tonight.

http://tsl.pomona.edu/articles/2010...1-is-three-a-crowd-the-truth-about-threesomes

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
The good thing about this show and I mean only good thing about this MINI series was well ,,,the MINI!!! . What a set of gams . Of course I have still been unable to get past 3 minutes of the show but man o man . Those gams !!! Hey baby doll . I'll wait for yah see . Yah see . Yah ...

http://www.word-detective.com/2009/04/gams/

Bluce Ree

The good thing about this show and I mean only good thing about this MINI series was well ,,,the MINI!!! . What a set of gams . Of course I have still been unable to get past 3 minutes of the show but man o man . Those gams !!! Hey baby doll . I'll wait for yah see . Yah see . Yah ...

Dude, you really need to get out of BC once in a while. Come spend a week in Miami. Your neck will twist right off from all the head turning just after your eyes pop out. :icon_lol:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Dude, you really need to get out of BC once in a while. Come spend a week in Miami. Your neck will twist right off from all the head turning just after your eyes pop out. :icon_lol:

Mission accomplished....those women are on that show to elicit EXACTLY the response that Tripler had. :) That is why there are miniskirts and impossibly stacked blondes with great gams and red lipstick. And Number 6 in on there for the same reason as she was on NuBSG

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan

Considering that they were supposed to judge the original astronauts on intelligence, just be lucky that the ship had anyone other than Ashkenazi Jews, Chinese, Japanese, and Korean.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
I am so goddamn sick of the "magic alien/super power child" trope that I could scream. It doesn't even rise to the level of lazy writing anymore, rather, it's just outright pathetic.

The persistence of this trope is probably a consequence of the modern idea that children are innocent and are born without sin.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Considering that they were supposed to judge the original astronauts on intelligence, just be lucky that the ship had anyone other than Ashkenazi Jews, Chinese, Japanese, and Korean.

Actually they did not judge the original astronauts on intelligence. They judged them on physical stamina, and the pool of candidates was restricted to government personnel (not even remotely the most intelligent), male and white. Intelligence was not a factor. None of the astronauts were particularly intelligent...just resilient.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
What the original astronauts were were test pilots. Some of the Mercury Seven came from the Andrews AFB test unit (not sure Glenn did though). As it turned out, choosing test pilots benefitted the program in both the short and long term.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Mission accomplished....those women are on that show to elicit EXACTLY the response that Tripler had. :) That is why there are miniskirts and impossibly stacked blondes with great gams and red lipstick. And Number 6 in on there for the same reason as she was on NuBSG

Just trying to be funny . Guess it didn't work ...

:( :( :(