Is it just me, or does Ascension sound like another bout of Soap-Fi?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Now that it's airing is coming close, we're starting to see promos and such for Ascension (SyFy miniseries obviously intended to be a series pilot).

http://www.syfy.com/ascension

While the generational ship premise sounds interesting, the show (leaving aside the implausible premise that we somehow secretly launched this uber gigantic ship in 1963) sounds a bit too much like they are trying out soap-fi again. At least it does to me.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Now that it's airing is coming close, we're starting to see promos and such for Ascension (SyFy miniseries obviously intended to be a series pilot).

http://www.syfy.com/ascension

While the generational ship premise sounds interesting, the show (leaving aside the implausible premise that we somehow secretly launched this uber gigantic ship in 1963) sounds a bit too much like they are trying out soap-fi again. At least it does to me.

It totally does, yes. It looks to me like a vehicle to allow old ideas and concepts to be written about in the 21st century. I am not interested in how people interacted in 1963. It wasnt that great of a time for anyone in America or anywhere. The world was not a great place and social consciousness was in a coma at the time.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I'm not sure they really plan to write like it's 1963. My fear is more that it's going to be "Days of our Lives" in space.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I'm not sure they really plan to write like it's 1963. My fear is more that it's going to be "Days of our Lives" in space.

The entire premise is allowing them a way to talk about social values and society in 1963. Why create the ship and choose that time period otherwise? They have done it like a period piece but with a few twists. Im not impressed or anticipating this show at all. But who knows...perhaps it could be good?

Last edited:

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
When I saw the title I thought this was a Stargate discussion .
Sounds like a bit of a Star Lost rip to me .

:) :) :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Every clip they have on this show is a complete turn off to me. They have even dumped in Number 6 in this show (dont know the name of the actress). The premise sucks, 1963 sucks, sharply divided classes on this ship reflecting the values of 1963 sucks, the look of the ship sucks...

This is going to be a show which warrants a prediction ball. :)

Why do I think it sucks? Because the values and society of 1963 which launched this ship sucked big time. Unless they do some revisionist writing, this show is going to have a dismal foundation. I can only imagine a very thin swath of Americans who might have felt that 1963 was a nostalgic time to look fondly back on, and today they would all be on the very far right politically as well as highly xenophobic and racist.

Looking at the clip, this is backed up by the statement from the narrator that says "They are still playing records and watching movies from 1963 and smoking cigars". Really? Why the hell would anyone want to preserve 1963 for posterity? Watch...

http://www.syfy.com/videos/Ascension/Behind the Scenes/vid:2822457

Watching the showrunners trying to explain this show...and how they lavish self-praise on themselves stinks of Brad Wright and his Stargate "franchise". They just KNOW they have a hit on their hands. Yep. After all, they have Number 6 from NuBSG playing a central role (and yes, she wears red a lot). They have a bunch of young women, wearing too much makeup. They have quaint social notions and uninteresting commentary on topics we have already gone over ad nauseum in REAL LIFE. :facepalm:

I have already formed an attitude about this show, and it has not even aired yet! :anim_59:

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
When they describe the show as "Mad Men in space" that doesn't exactly fill me with optimism.

Like I said in the OP, the premise of a generational ship is interesting but the execution (right down to the tired out "secret government program" trope) sounds really blah. I guess we'll see.

Also, not sure a prediction ball is a correct thing for a miniseries. It is on for three days in December and that is all they have in the can. Maybe a prediction for if it gets picked up as a series?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
When they describe the show as "Mad Men in space" that doesn't exactly fill me with optimism.

Like I said in the OP, the premise of a generational ship is interesting but the execution (right down to the tired out "secret government program" trope) sounds really blah. I guess we'll see.

Also, not sure a prediction ball is a correct thing for a miniseries. It is on for three days in December and that is all they have in the can. Maybe a prediction for if it gets picked up as a series?

Oh, okay...I thought this was a series. A miniseries? Great. That means we get an ending. :)

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
Any story about a generational space ship is going to have at least some of the aspects of soap opera.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Not necessarily. You can easily write such a story without focusing on personal relationships.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Not necessarily. You can easily write such a story without focusing on personal relationships.

Why would you? The whole idea of writing about a generational ship is to tell the tale of a family line, perhaps a line of relationships, hidden trysts, unlikely relatives, etc. Telling the story of how such a ship operates or was built is not really a story, is it?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
The premise of a generational space ship has been done several times before in literature. I guess it can be considered science fiction as it uses speculative technology that doesn't exist (yet). It is an interesting concept up to a point, but if the premise of a generational ship is just used as a vehicle for melodrama than it quickly becomes tiresome.

In this case if the ship was launched in 1963 but now it's 50 years later it might make for an interesting "evolution" story. The ship could be seen as a version of the Galapagos in terms of how the humans on the ship advance technologically compared to us back on earth over the years. Would they make the same advances in computer technology? Would they make different advances in the medical sciences? These are all things that could be interesting to examine.

But if they're just going to have people sitting around playing old records and smoking cigars then what's the point of even producing the show? That's just lame. Plus it's insulting to use science fiction as window dressing for melodramatic passion plays.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The premise of a generational space ship has been done several times before in literature. I guess it can be considered science fiction as it uses speculative technology that doesn't exist (yet). It is an interesting concept up to a point, but if the premise of a generational ship is just used as a vehicle for melodrama than it quickly becomes tiresome.

In this case if the ship was launched in 1963 but now it's 50 years later it might make for an interesting "evolution" story. The ship could be seen as a version of the Galapagos in terms of how the humans on the ship advance technologically compared to us back on earth over the years. Would they make the same advances in computer technology? Would they make different advances in the medical sciences? These are all things that could be interesting to examine.

But if they're just going to have people sitting around playing old records and smoking cigars then what's the point of even producing the show? That's just lame. Plus it's insulting to use science fiction as window dressing for melodramatic passion plays.

Did you go to Syfy and watch the clips and read the copy? It looks like we are going to get exactly what you described. That is why I have copped an attitude towards this as yet unaired show and I have a freakin log sized chip on my shoulder for it. :). It looks like some sort of adapted period piece to me. Why would women still be wearing makeup? What is the percentage of ship's esources devoted to cigar making, dressmaking, alcohol production, furniture and decoratrion, etc. Why would a select crew of humans on a ship only the size of the Empire State Building include criminals or businessmen?

Ill take a look because it is a miniseries and will have an ending. But Im not expecting much. I will be REALLY pissed if the ending is just an "ending".

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Did you go to Syfy and watch the clips and read the copy? It looks like we are going to get exactly what you described. That is why I have copped an attitude towards this as yet unaired show and I have a freakin log sized chip on my shoulder for it. :). It looks like some sort of adapted period piece to me. Why would women still be wearing makeup? What is the percentage of ship's esources devoted to cigar making, dressmaking, alcohol production, furniture and decoratrion, etc. Why would a select crew of humans on a ship only the size of the Empire State Building include criminals or businessmen?

Ill take a look because it is a miniseries and will have an ending. But Im not expecting much. I will be REALLY pissed if the ending is just an "ending".

I've only seen the on air promos so far and wasn't that impressed. I find the premise of a generational ship interesting but what I've seen and heard of this version doesn't really inspire me to invest time in it. I get the impression that they're just going to use scifi as cheap, unexamined window dressing for their bad melodrama and that I can't abide. I mean, a self-sustaining ship has many, many limits and using space to grow tobacco simply isn't realistic.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yeah, growing Tobacco seems a bit silly. If they have hydroponics I think actual foodstuffs and plants that freshen the air would be of higher import.

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
I have to second, or third, or fourth one the idea about growing tobacco/ cigars in outer space. Tobacco needs a special climate and soil to see a very productive growing season. Would a heat lamp in private quarters do the trick? I guess over 50 years a bootlegging operation could be set in motion to fill everyones needs.

Make-up in space - that's another one. We need someone from the Second World War to tell us what they did when all those European specialty soaps and things disappeared.

Living on a space ship for fifty years gives me a Star Lost/ SGU vibe. Maybe they will go to places that the two past shows never went.

Without alien help I can't see how they could actually get past the moon let alone maintain the craft for more than a year without serious break downs endangering life and limb.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member

A lot of what they are showing is pretty naff.

Criminals is certainly plausible as all that requires is someone inclined to commit a crime. Businessmen however makes little sense as that requires a functioning economy of some sort which has businesses.

Who knows, maybe we're all wrong and it will be good. Then again, maybe I will build a full size working replica of Gipsy Danger in my living room too....

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
A lot of what they are showing is pretty naff.

Criminals is certainly plausible as all that requires is someone inclined to commit a crime. Businessmen however makes little sense as that requires a functioning economy of some sort which has businesses.

Who knows, maybe we're all wrong and it will be good. Then again, maybe I will build a full size working replica of Gipsy Danger in my living room too....

I watched the clips from the show, and that is what Im basing my opinions on. I see pools, cigars and alcohol (mixed drinks too!), I see dresses and shoes and ties and fingernail polish and lipstick. Wouldnt uniforms be more logical? Dresses made for a woman in 1963 would have to be passed down to children. Capitalism would not work on a ship so small and with no money.

Yeah, I do not have high hopes. It wont be science fiction, no matter what the showrunners are claiming. They still think NuBSG was science fiction even though its writer said himself that it was a primetime soap.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
And keep in mind that we are to just accept that 1963 technology was so advanced that it could build a huge "ark" with gravity and the ability to shield the occupants from radiation and a ton of other things that weren't possible in 1963 let alone 2014. I'm sure this is where the writers fall back on that well worn excuse of "it's an alt universe story". :rolleye0014:

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
Well so much for explaining how they boosted the extremely large spacecraft into orbit and interstellar space.

Last edited: