Is it just me, or does Ascension sound like another bout of Soap-Fi?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
So they're not really on a ship in space? :daniel_new004:

I haven't caught this show yet but feel free to use the spoiler tags to spill the beans.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
I thought in the promo it said that they sent scientist's into space ,not socialites ?! So why are all these people dressed to the nines . Why would they have brought that kind of clothing at all or even be able to make it while in flight . They need oil to make textile products that they have and lot's of it . I don't think there is a big oil drum being towed along is there ?

Lookin mighty soapy to me . Since it's such a big soap , maybe they've gone out there to clean up space ! Looks pretty dirty from down here . Some of those stars look blurry and need a good wipe .

:) :) :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I thought in the promo it said that they sent scientist's into space ,not socialites ?! So why are all these people dressed to the nines . Why would they have brought that kind of clothing at all or even be able to make it while in flight . They need oil to make textile products that they have and lot's of it . I don't think there is a big oil drum being towed along is there ?

Lookin mighty soapy to me . Since it's such a big soap , maybe they've gone out there to clean up space ! Looks pretty dirty from down here . Some of those stars look blurry and need a good wipe .

There are cigars and hats on this ship too, along with skimpy bathing suits and swimming pools and bright red lipstick for the women. Evidently there are parties with alcohol too. This is ridiculous.

But some people will come defending it and calling it brilliant. They will talk about the characters and outfits and not care how ridiculous the show is.

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Makes me glad I did not watch it last night.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
I have to second, or third, or fourth one the idea about growing tobacco/ cigars in outer space. Tobacco needs a special climate and soil to see a very productive growing season. Would a heat lamp in private quarters do the trick? I guess over 50 years a bootlegging operation could be set in motion to fill everyones needs.

Make-up in space - that's another one. We need someone from the Second World War to tell us what they did when all those European specialty soaps and things disappeared.

Living on a space ship for fifty years gives me a Star Lost/ SGU vibe. Maybe they will go to places that the two past shows never went.

Without alien help I can't see how they could actually get past the moon let alone maintain the craft for more than a year without serious break downs endangering life and limb.

I can tell you what American women did - they turned to American companies like Avon, Max Factor Hollywood, and Elizabeth Arden. women's makeup - particularly red lipstick was a sign of patriotism. here's a fascinating journal article about the topic: https://twp.duke.edu/uploads/assets/Neiderriter(1).pdf

Probably wouldn't help in space though. although women have long known "home remedies" for soaps, lotions, etc...;)

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
There is no way the people on the spacecraft would not know that they were not in space. In the 1960s, we did not have the technology to fake a moon landing. It would take even more technology to fool people into believing that they were on an interstellar space mission. Since accelerating at 1 g (decelerating at 1 g in the second half of the mission) would get you to Proxima Centauri much quicker than 100 years, the gravity experienced by the crew is all wrong. People on an interstellar space mission would also have to occasionally have to perform extravehicular activities. I have seen zero evidence that the designers of the fake space mission have simulated the additional radiation one would experience performing an extravehicular maneuver.

While this show does constitute an interesting idea of messing with people's minds for 100 years, in no way does this miniseries (this show cannot be transformed into a regular series) represent a returning to science fiction by the Syfy channel.

Last edited:

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
There are cigars and hats on this ship too, along with skimpy bathing suits and swimming pools and bright red lipstick for the women. Evidently there are parties with alcohol too. This is ridiculous.

But some people will come defending it and calling it brilliant. They will talk about the characters and outfits and not care how ridiculous the show is.

While all of those things could be made from the waste products of the spacecraft's habitat and sufficient energy, it would require technology that simply was not available in 1964. Some of the required technology is not available today.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
And keep in mind that we are to just accept that 1963 technology was so advanced that it could build a huge "ark" with gravity and the ability to shield the occupants from radiation and a ton of other things that weren't possible in 1963 let alone 2014. I'm sure this is where the writers fall back on that well worn excuse of "it's an alt universe story". :rolleye0014:

An alternative universe that contained 9/11. Yes, there was a reference to 9/11 in the second miniseries episode.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
In the first episode there was a FMF three-way; I wonder how common such things would be in a society isolated from earth since 1964. Heck, it is hard enough today to get a girl to go for a FMF three-way today.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
So I notice that the they brought the Playboy club gang along for the ride ... That was important on a ship with limited resources . Sex drugs and rock and roll MAN !!!
Smart bunch !!!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
In the first episode there was a FMF three-way; I wonder how common such things would be in a society isolated from earth since 1964. Heck, it is hard enough today to get a girl to go for a FMF three-way today.

I am not going to ask you how you know that....:P This thing is so dumb. If I didnt know any better, I would say it was written while the writers were sitting around passing a joint of some kickass bud (and halfway through the second bottle of Stoli). The size of the ship poses as much of an issue as the utterly implausible stuff that is allegedly going on inside. I was laughing too hard and had too much a negative attitude in the first 15 minutes to finish watching it. I will try again tonight.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Nope . 2 minutes in and I :smiley-015:

Can't watch it .

:smiley-laughing024::rotflmao: I knew it would be dumb, but I was still unprepared. I did notice that wen I was mashing the "switch input" button on my remote, I was mashing a LOT harder. It is really that bad....worse than the Earth episode in SGU. What were they thinking?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The writers really need the viewer to voluntarily suspend disbelief. And this is a place where having Ascension launch in 1963 makes it REALLY hard to suspend disbelief.

Somehow we're supposed to belief they had the tech in 1963 to build and launch into space a ship the size of the Empire State building. Also to somehow know that there is an earthlike world in Proxima Centauri. And let's not start on lifesupport (water, food, etc.), tobacco, lipstick and the like.....

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Fraggin lipstick !!! Really !!!Within 2 mins and thats the topic . Scientist on board in space and there concern is lipstick !!! I hope they brought enough cute little bunnies to test there cosmetic space goo on ... Take that last comment anyway you like ...

PS ,,, so what happens after the lipstick dilemma so I don't have a churning stomach again watching it for myself . Come on kids . I need some hilarious spoilers .

I feel this show is gonna get torn a new one lol !

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
The only science fiction aspect of the entire miniseries was the final scene when the young girl transports the black investigator to an extra-solar planet. Don't know how him or the rest of the crew can survive if they go to the extra-solar planet without the ship.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
The only science fiction aspect of the entire miniseries was the final scene when the young girl transports the black investigator to an extra-solar planet. Don't know how him or the rest of the crew can survive if they go to the extra-solar planet without the ship.

Was that the finale episode? Because, if it ended like that, the writers need a good ass-kicking.