"Good Doggy, Good Doggy!" The Dog Lovers thread

I don't think you will find a sadder face then my little Pogo shortly after she was attacked by another dog in a dog park when some idiot brought McDonald's food into the dog park . My beagle of course grabbed the empty bag off the picnic table and ran with it for 20 mins or more . She decided to take a look inside the donald bag when another dog decided he wanted the bag and started to bite her pretty hard on the neck . $300 later at the vets .
No more dog parks for her . I have seen way to many violent dogs showing up lately at these parks .
Just so you know , my little pogo is all healed up now and back to herself again thank goodness .

I agree. They've created a lot of new dog parks near me but they don't do anything to police them. Supposedly people are required to sign up to use them but no one checks if they have bought a pass. People just walk in with their dogs and let them go crazy and don't care that they are out of control. It's really annoying to the good dog owners here.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Oh man that micky d movie was pretty nasty . What a dirt bag indeed .
No stitches. Luckily the other dog did not pull when it bit into her neck as the vet said a dog will usually do . If it had Pogo would have been hurt very seriously ...

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Oh man that micky d movie was pretty nasty . What a dirt bag indeed .
No stitches. Luckily the other dog did not pull when it bit into her neck as the vet said a dog will usually do . If it had Pogo would have been in hurt very seriously ...

great on the no stitches!

can a beagle even fight off a Husky? given the size difference...?

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
great on the no stitches!

can a beagle even fight off a Husky? given the size difference...?
Well the first time she was attacked she held her own and was not injured but this second dog really chomped down on her . I think because food was involved with this second dog . No idea why the first husky attacked her . Both times Pogo was playing for a long time with them . Other than a bit of a chatty puppy , Pogo is the nicest dog you will meet . Very sad to see such a nice pup get attacked for no reason . Anyway dog parks are off the list now so I take her down to the lake now to play with the ducks and swans . Little bugger can swim too .
;) 20170829_093502.jpg

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Well the first time she was attacked she held her own and was not injured but this second dog really chomped down on her . I think because food was involved with this second dog . No idea why the first husky attacked her . Both times Pogo was playing for a long time with them . Other than a bit of a chatty puppy , Pogo is the nicest dog you will meet . Very sad to see such a nice pup get attacked for no reason . Anyway dog parks are off the list now so I take her down to the lake now to play with the ducks and swans . Little bugger can swim too .
;) View attachment 33489

just watch out for the attack geese--they can get nasty :)

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Oh my gosh yes . Geese we stay clear of . There's a news reel I saw lately or radio show were they spoke of how nasty they can be . Do not go near them if they have young . My mum told me that years ago .
The swan was amzingly friendly but I had tension on the leash to yank her back quickly . Pogo just can't help herself and just has to say hello to every living thing on the planet lol . She never barked at the swan or the ducks . She is a very curious dog and loves kids , huge dogs and people .

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Oh my gosh yes . Geese we stay clear of . There's a news reel I saw lately or radio show were they spoke of how nasty they can be . Do not go near them if they have young . My mum told me that years ago .
The swan was amzingly friendly but I had tension on the leash to yank her back quickly . Pogo just can't help herself and just has to say hello to every living thing on the planet lol . She never barked at the swan or the ducks . She is a very curious dog and loves kids , huge dogs and people .

we used to have 6 chinese brown geese (also known as swan geese)

those clowns were very very aggressive if they were not used to you.

on the up side, when we had them, we never had to cut the grass! they worked their way systematically through the yard and kept the grass at a nice tidy height.

whenever a car or a stranger came in the driveway or even someone fishing down by the river, they would start 'barking' very loudly

they cannot be trained to not bark wither like a dog can

their eggs were pretty tasty as well, but they only lay in the spring

this 'guard dog/alert' feature of domestic geese is even famed for 'saving' young Rome

the romans were attacked by the cisalpine gauls in the 6th century BC. the romans retreated to one of the heights in rome. geese they brought with them alerted the defenders to the gauls' warriors scaling the cliffs to get to the hilltop in the middle of the night

Geese= several thousand, Gauls = zero

:)

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
You ate there eggs ! Lol ...
Poor geeses ,,,
Cool that they kept the lawn cut but I bet you had to watch were you step . The parks here are just full of goose poop .
;)

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
You ate there eggs ! Lol ...
Poor geeses ,,,
Cool that they kept the lawn cut but I bet you had to watch were you step . The parks here are just full of goose poop .
;)

those geese were very very large-almost swan size, hence their nickname "swan geese". so, you would think that something that big would leave big messes

but, they just pooped out exactly what they ate. once it rained or if you hit it with a water hose, it was pretty much just undigested grass.

we had to get rid of them though-just too damned noisy and they were chasing off the cats!!

sold a couple and brought the rest to a guy with a farm and a big pond-far as i know they are still there.

----
always wanted to try peacocks!

apparently they can survive the winters here so long as they have shelter for nightime

one drawback-one 3 day old chick can cost upwards of $1200!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
always wanted to try peacocks!

apparently they can survive the winters here so long as they have shelter for nightime

one drawback-one 3 day old chick can cost upwards of $1200!

They roam free in the Palos Verdes peninsula, wandering the streets, cooing in the trees, flying into yards and nesting in trees. Can't really get anywhere near that kind of money for peacocks or parrots here. Too common!

4784289200_46ee6c44f4_b.jpg

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
They roam free in the Palos Verdes peninsula, wandering the streets, cooing in the trees, flying into yards and nesting in trees. Can't really get anywhere near that kind of money for peacocks or parrots here. Too common!

View attachment 33493

yeah, but are you allowed to capture one and keep it if you wanted?

many ppl do it around here only for the income they can get from quality peacock tail feathers. believe it or not, there is still a market for them--yes i was surprised to hear that too. i thought it was all synth by now

if i ever did get any it would simply be for the 'entertainment' value and to here their calls

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/peacock-feathers
--------------------
ok, so the 1200 was another bird i was mis-remembering, and I even got that wrong

the peacocks are 35 each BUT you must buy 8 minimum (greater chances of surviving shipping)

https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/peafowl_assortment.html

the swans!! that is what i was thinking of! they are now over $5000 for 2 (must buy at least 2)
geesh!! talk about vanity hey?!

https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/breeder_trumpeter_swans.html

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
yeah, but are you allowed to capture one and keep it if you wanted?

No. And you cannot hand raise chicks that might fall out of a nest in a tree in your own yard. The California Department of Fish and Wildlife protects them, and they are very serious. There are so many peacocks in Palos Verdes, that around mating season people kill them because they are so loud.

many ppl do it around here only for the income they can get from quality peacock tail feathers. believe it or not, there is still a market for them--yes i was surprised to hear that too. i thought it was all synth by now

if i ever did get any it would simply be for the 'entertainment' value and to here their calls

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/peacock-feathers
--------------------
ok, so the 1200 was another bird i was mis-remembering, and I even got that wrong

the peacocks are 35 each BUT you must buy 8 minimum (greater chances of surviving shipping)

https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/peafowl_assortment.html

the swans!! that is what i was thinking of! they are now over $5000 for 2 (must buy at least 2)
geesh!! talk about vanity hey?!

https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/breeder_trumpeter_swans.html

You can collect the feathers and sell them, and they cost about as much as anywhere. There is a high concentration of peacocks in Palos Verdes and occasionally surrounding areas, but not anywhere else I know. West LA has the highest concentration of wild parrots and parakeets, but now East LA has an established population of wild parrots, macaws and cockatoos.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
We have a horde of Comorant's here down by the lake . Stupid environmentalists don't want them culled yet there killing all the trees from poop and other bird life as they invade the bird sanctuaries ... And I mean hordes . I was down at the lake with Pogo a few weeks ago and saw what seem like a couple of 100,000 birds go by a few inches off the water , probably more . It took them 45 minutes for them to fly past us just a few 100ft off shore ... Looked like a scene from the birds ...

Attachments

• dc_cormorant_guylitcher.jpg
    dc_cormorant_guylitcher.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 114
  • dc_cormorant_guylitcher.jpg
    dc_cormorant_guylitcher.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 111

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I thought this was cute. The dog stole the baby girl's toy, but when she started crying watch how he makes up for it. :)

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
What a beautiful dog ... My Beagle is still nuts lol ... The entire neighbourhood knows her name tho . Kids just love her and she loves them .

;)

Attachments

• 20170713_110708.jpg
    20170713_110708.jpg
    7.3 MB · Views: 131

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Any idea as to why my pics are the way they are ? I am uploading them the same way as always . I can no longer make them thumbnails . Sorry for hijacking with this issue . We can move this to the tech section for responses ...

;)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Any idea as to why my pics are the way they are ? I am uploading them the same way as always . I can no longer make them thumbnails . Sorry for hijacking with this issue . We can move this to the tech section for responses ...

;)
Are you inserting them with the button? Try using the Full Size button. Pictures that are too big should e automatically resized. I will take a look at the function. Thanks for looking out, and you can still post the comments about the photos in the thread. :)

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
I just tried to upload a pic and nothing happened other than the bars moving on the upper right of the page which seemed like a minute long or so .

;(