General Con News Thread

OCgatergal

GateFans Noob
I've been to 1. It was last years LA con so I can assume this year would be somewhat the same. Like I said, a majority are fangurls sqeeing over Joe Flanigan or Michael Shanks. Age is perhaps 40-50 range? Not that many young people there. Last time they say they expected 1000 people to attend, but I didn't feel the overcrowding.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This is GOOD!

Overmind is still worried... :icon_lol:

Of course! I dont want to be out of my element there. :) Star Trek conventions are still my favorite scifi events. There are old, young, lots of fan participation and costumes and cool stuff themed with Star Trek. In the parking lots you can spot the minivans done up like shuttles, the big bellied 55 year old Klingons, its lots of fun! Lots of people too.

I've been to 1. It was last years LA con so I can assume this year would be somewhat the same. Like I said, a majority are fangurls sqeeing over Joe Flanigan or Michael Shanks. Age is perhaps 40-50 range? Not that many young people there. Last time they say they expected 1000 people to attend, but I didn't feel the overcrowding.

This is good! It means that I will not be out of place as far as age, and I wont feel uncomfortable. Also, what is the policy on cameras, cellphones, etc? Can I take my own pictures and/or video?

stclare

Moderator & Mckay Super Fan
Of course! I dont want to be out of my element there. :) Star Trek conventions are still my favorite scifi enevts. There are old, young, lots of fan participation and costumes and cool stuff themed with Star Trek. In the parking lots you can spot the minivans done up like shuttles, the big bellied 55 year old Klingons, its lots of fun! Lots of people too.

This is good! It means that I will not be out of place as far as age, and I wont feel uncomfortable. Also, what is the policy on cameras, cellphones, etc? Can I take my own pictures and/or video?

Of all the cons ive been to (8) they have mainly been filled with women 3:1 ration id say. But there was all ages including babies! (damn babies) none of the men looked uncomfortable if anything the lack of men meant they became the centre of attention.
The one great things about cons is that they realy do go that extra mile for disabled people that are going and thats pretty coo.l as ive been to other events where those things like ramps and seating arrangements were pretty piss poor! I have do encourage any fan with a disability not to be put off scifi conventions as they pretty much lead the way as far as ive seen.

Camera/filming policys are different convention to convention, but the genral rule ive found is that you can take pics during the talks but have to be very careful when taking film. they can and will confiscate cameras if they think your filming. with the lights down and flashes going off its hard for them to catch eveyone.

Autograph signing can also take on mine field proportions. at one con you were allowed one item signed. it had to be something brought to the con or the con glossy photo you were given at checkin or bought from the organisers. I had a minor hissy fit when the painted canvas i bought in the trading room they tried to refuse me taking in to be signed, i won but it was bloody annoying!

So the biggest thing i worked out was to get the information from the organisers info desk first hand. Dont rely on the flyers as they can change and will all the time.

Most importantly have fun! and realy sgu*s on the front of a t-shirt does not actualy personaly insult the ACTOR it makes a statement about the SHOW itself!

R

Robbie_Rocket_Pants

Of all the cons ive been to (8) they have mainly been filled with women 3:1 ration id say. But there was all ages including babies! (damn babies) none of the men looked uncomfortable if anything the lack of men meant they became the centre of attention.
The one great things about cons is that they realy do go that extra mile for disabled people that are going and thats pretty coo.l as ive been to other events where those things like ramps and seating arrangements were pretty piss poor! I have do encourage any fan with a disability not to be put off scifi conventions as they pretty much lead the way as far as ive seen.

Camera/filming policys are different convention to convention, but the genral rule ive found is that you can take pics during the talks but have to be very careful when taking film. they can and will confiscate cameras if they think your filming. with the lights down and flashes going off its hard for them to catch eveyone.

Autograph signing can also take on mine field proportions. at one con you were allowed one item signed. it had to be something brought to the con or the con glossy photo you were given at checkin or bought from the organisers. I had a minor hissy fit when the painted canvas i bought in the trading room they tried to refuse me taking in to be signed, i won but it was bloody annoying!

So the biggest thing i worked out was to get the information from the organisers info desk first hand. Dont rely on the flyers as they can change and will all the time.

Most importantly have fun! and realy sgu*s on the front of a t-shirt does not actualy personaly insult the ACTOR it makes a statement about the SHOW itself!

It must really grip Mallozzi's shit to know that somebody filmed that panel with J Flan, J Mom & A Huffman & that he was called on his BS. :D

OCgatergal

GateFans Noob
You can take pictures and videos at the theater. I don't think you can for the signings especially since I've never seen pictures from the signings posted. Sharing them is another thing, people have posted con vids and occasionally they get deleted.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
You can take pictures and videos at the theater. I don't think you can for the signings especially since I've never seen pictures from the signings posted. Sharing them is another thing, people have posted con vids and occasionally they get deleted.
For me it's been the other way around: as many pictures and filming on the autograph sessions you like (where they're really close up) as long as no flash is used, but no cameras allowed in the theaters/panels at all.

SexyDexy

GateFans Noob
Love the Scollum shirt!

Love the Scollum shirt - it is too funny! I can imagine BJS's face if he sees that - his lips will purse very intensely. Then his mother might run after you trying to hit you with her umbrella!

Made this one with the logo. It is straight on the shirt, the shirt is just hanging crooked on the back of the chair. If I set the black background to white will the letters still be visible on a white shirt? I am not an expert with these drawing packages and am currently using Adobe photoshop as it was installed already.

Overmind made one with the big logo that looked pretty good on a white shirt - so maybe you can ask him for his file. Otherwise, if you are going to put it on a white shirt, I would suggest adding more shadows or borders for contrast w/ the white, or simply changing the letters to a darker color, and then making the background transparent. Depending on the format of the logo you have, that will be easy or difficult. You want to get the .psd file or other file where the letters are in a text box, so you can change them easily. Otherwise if you just have the single layer jpeg or png you will have to go in there, zoomed in, and color individual pixels w/ the paint tool and paint bucket to make it look right, which is tedious.

SG-Rocks

GateFans Noob
Boy, you people are bad. How about this:
youkidding.jpg

You sure they're old enough? I always thought that drinking with Joe Flannigan ticket at other cons looked interesting. But Chloe and Eli?

I'd suggest that the shirts need another line like, "Because it's not Stargate" or something.

As far as benig heaved I think they would have to make a snap decision (only the photographer would see the shirt head on) and figure if they want to get into a refund situation or a confrontation.

BJS involved in fan melee at convention does sound interesting though. :icon_twisted:

edit: you will note that they are "the stars" of the "new hit series". LOL I guess they can't say "pair of wankers" can they?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Hahahahaha! It looks great!

I had to reduce the picture quality so the resolution does not do it justice. It looks a lot more vibrant in real life.

View attachment 1046

Hahahahahaha! It looks great! I know what you mean about the photo not doing it justice. They do "pop" when you first make them, right? My only suggestion to you is to NOT wash it in the machine, and hang dry. You can iron it after you have applied the transfer, if you use steam and a low setting, and be sure to use a towel over the transfer part if you iron it.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I agree, all the lettering needs to be in a text box.

Love the Scollum shirt - it is too funny! I can imagine BJS's face if he sees that - his lips will purse very intensely. Then his mother might run after you trying to hit you with her umbrella!

Overmind made one with the big logo that looked pretty good on a white shirt - so maybe you can ask him for his file. Otherwise, if you are going to put it on a white shirt, I would suggest adding more shadows or borders for contrast w/ the white, or simply changing the letters to a darker color, and then making the background transparent. Depending on the format of the logo you have, that will be easy or difficult. You want to get the .psd file or other file where the letters are in a text box, so you can change them easily. Otherwise if you just have the single layer jpeg or png you will have to go in there, zoomed in, and color individual pixels w/ the paint tool and paint bucket to make it look right, which is tedious.

I used Macromedia Fireworks to create mine. Im going to add the three gates to the back of the shirt, and I may make a new one with the three gates on the front with the URL of this site below it.

Like you said, he needs to make the background transparent and have all the writing in text boxes. I would be happy to make the file the way he needs it if he can attach it to a post. The exact logo I used is the one attached to the post here: http://forums.sgusucks.com/showthread.php?580-General-Con-News-Thread&p=8392#post8392

If anybody wants to make t-shirts for the Con and needs images to use with the Avery 3302 fabric transfers, just upload the images you want and I can process them for you to make them work best with the transfers. I have made many shirts using them, mostly for one-off events because I have found that the shirts do not usually survive more than 5 washings and still look good.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You will need to add a drop shadow to make them show.

Made this one with the logo. It is straight on the shirt, the shirt is just hanging crooked on the back of the chair. If I set the black background to white will the letters still be visible on a white shirt? I am not an expert with these drawing packages and am currently using Adobe photoshop as it was installed already.

View attachment 1047

You will need a drop shadow to make the logo show if you use a white background. I have attached the logo with drop shadow and transparent background (the background of this page is white so it looks like its white but its transparent).

SGUSlogo.png

Here is the reverse:

SGUSlogo_reverse.png

OCgatergal

GateFans Noob
Alright, so who's heading to the LA con this weekend?

SGUBlows

GateFans Noob
I'll be at the LA con! Mostly to see Shanks and Flanigan on Saturday. I see they have the SGU actors several hours apart on Sunday and virtually nothing else going on. I sort of want to see them just out of curiosity but I'd rather rent a car and go to the beach or something!

I've been to many Creation cons. You can take all the pics you like during the panels but not during autographs. You aren't supposed to video anything but its nearly impossible for them to catch you with the mixed use cameras these days. I've done it.

For those going, are you going to the Elyse or Smith talks? Are you going to ask questions??

OCgatergal

GateFans Noob
I'm only going on Saturday. I'm an hour from downtown LA and I'm not wasting my time to see them! I'll be proudly wearing my SGUS shirt :D. I'm curious why they don't mix SGU and SGA/SG1. Say Shanks was on Sat and Flanigan was on Sun and BJS was on Sat and Elyse on Sun. I think people wanting to see both Shanks and Flanigan would pay for both days which in this case they would only pay on Sat.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I'm only going on Saturday. I'm an hour from downtown LA and I'm not wasting my time to see them! I'll be proudly wearing my SGUS shirt :D. I'm curious why they don't mix SGU and SGA/SG1. Say Shanks was on Sat and Flanigan was on Sun and BJS was on Sat and Elyse on Sun. I think people wanting to see both Shanks and Flanigan would pay for both days which in this case they would only pay on Sat.

While that makes sense from one point of view, the SGU cast probably just don't want to deal with stargate fans............

Hang on, :D :P

SG-Rocks

GateFans Noob
It seems a lot of cons seperate SG1/SGA from SGU. On Friday are often minor stars from SG1/SGA there, on Saturday the stars from SG1/SGA and the Sunday is for SGU. They mingle actors from SG1 and SGA all the time, but not often with actors from SGU.

That;s pretty well it. The exception seems to be that one with Huffman where Mallozzi manufactured the nasty fan problem story. Otherwise they seem to put them on Sunday when everyone's worn down. treat them like lepers I say. IMHO.

Fizz

GateFans Noob
That;s pretty well it. The exception seems to be that one with Huffman where Mallozzi manufactured the nasty fan problem story. Otherwise they seem to put them on Sunday when everyone's worn down. treat them like lepers I say. IMHO.

Yeah continually putting them on Sunday by themselves does make them seem a bit like afterthoughts. In some ways its probably less awkward for the actors, not having to face so many people who aren't SGU fans but then its twice as awkward if you see a room onlt 1-2/3rds full and you hear that the room was packed for yesterday.

I do feel a bit sorry for the actors at this con, not a great time to be on a pannel when everyone knows the elephant in the room is that it's about to get canned anyway.

stclare

Moderator & Mckay Super Fan
Yeah continually putting them on Sunday by themselves does make them seem a bit like afterthoughts. In some ways its probably less awkward for the actors, not having to face so many people who aren't SGU fans but then its twice as awkward if you see a room onlt 1-2/3rds full and you hear that the room was packed for yesterday.

I do feel a bit sorry for the actors at this con, not a great time to be on a pannel when everyone knows the elephant in the room is that it's about to get canned anyway.

The actors could have turned a lot of this round imo. They could have bigged up the previous shows and built up a rapport with the older fanbase. They instead chose to follow tptb lead and distance themself instead. Even David Blue said sgu was the best scifi show in the last five years (in its first year) there bye saying sgu is better than sga.