General Con News Thread

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I have to see if I have one. I can find it Im sure.

Just ordered some on the net. Can you mail me a high res image of the website banner to put onto the shirts please?

I can find one on the old Nabble forums since I remember the Banner Contest thread is on there. There are some by SexyDexy as well as others too. I created this just now. Its very understated but gets the message across nicely. :icon_twisted:

tshirttransfer.png

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Im thinking about going to this in November:

http://www.creationent.com/cal/sgbur.htm

All of the coolest SG-1, Atlantis and the best of the worst from SGU will be there. I would love to have an SGU°S shirt to wear there. Im tempted to go out and buy some Avery iron-on t-shirt transfers to create one on a white t-shirt, along with the website name AND make about 10 (or how ever many come in a package), and then GIVE them to cute girls at the Con on the condition that they wear them during the Con (and they have to change in front of me :D...JK!). I would actually get to meet Joe Flanigan, Michael Shanks AND Todd the Wraith! Besides that, Elyse Levesque would be there as well as Brian J Smith...on Sunday again. There are photo ops. I wonder if they would even grant a photo op to a person wearing an SGU°S t-shirt! I want to put the name of the website under the SGU°S on the front.

Should I do this? The place where the Con is being held is less than 30 minutes from where I live! If he sees the t-shirt, he can assume I am part of the "harassment" of his mom and the panning of the show he is on. LMAO.

:rotflmao:

take loads and loads of pics! I wonder if sgpoo will be cancelled before then though! :laughing:

I can find one on the old Nabble forums since I remember the Banner Contest thread is on there. There are some by SexyDexy as well as others too. I created this just now. Its very understated but gets the message across nicely. :icon_twisted:

View attachment 873

Love the banner you created! ;)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I found them!

That would be great on the back of a shirt with the site address underneath it.

They are here: http://sgu-sucks.3839896.n2.nabble.com/Banner-tp4665403.html

That particular design would have to get really LOOKED at in order to get it. :)

You need to make the background transparent, but I can actually do that for you and email it to you. Its also VERY easy to recreate using Eurostile Extended LT font, a drop shadow and use of glow on the line running through the logo. The logo looks great on the site but on a white t-shirt it might not be bold enough. Something like this:

SGUS.png

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Thank you thank you!

take loads and loads of pics! I wonder if sgpoo will be cancelled before then though! :laughing:

Love the banner you created! ;)

Thank you! :icon_e_biggrin:

Oh no! What if it IS canceled? I think it will be, but the show should be ending its mid season airings AFTER the Con. I figure it has to air 10 episodes before the break, so that puts the mid season break around December, right? Id hate to miss the look on Brian J Smith's face on that lonely Sunday with just a few people in the room, and then he spots my t-shirt and remembers all the stuff we have written on this site! Pus, he may be expecting it if he reads what we write here.

Whatcha gonna do, Briany poo? Sic your mama on me? :eek:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Tell me what you need, Piggy!

That would be the best present Santa could ever deliver :sgusucks::laughing:

When is the Con in the Northampton? I hope its before December! If the show is canceled, I think that SGU characters will ABRUPTLY stop attending them as characters. Perhaps the cool ones will go like Elyse, Jameel, perhaps David Blue. But Carlyle and Ferreria and Ming Na will probably want to walk away from SGU...briskly. :icon_lol:. So, we will get "The Marine who was in the back row out of focus in Divided" as the main star, as well as the taxi driver of the car that went past on the "uninhabited" planet in Human as a special guest star for SGU at the Cons. In two more years, SGU wont even be part of the Con. Forgotten. :icon_cry:

:sgufan:

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Thank you! :icon_e_biggrin:

Oh no! What if it IS canceled? I think it will be, but the show should be ending its mid season airings AFTER the Con. I figure it has to air 10 episodes before the break, so that puts the mid season break around December, right? Id hate to miss the look on Brian J Smith's face on that lonely Sunday with just a few people in the room, and then he spots my t-shirt and remembers all the stuff we have written on this site! Pus, he may be expecting it if he reads what we write here.

Whatcha gonna do, Briany poo? Sic your mama on me? :eek:

if she's foaming at the mouth -- RUN!!!! ;) ,maybe he will sigh and purse his lips for you! :laughing:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I have just the thing...

if she's foaming at the mouth -- RUN!!!! ;) ,maybe he will sigh and purse his lips for you! :laughing:

I will offer her these!

arcturiandonutplant.jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Lets ask the Webmaster!

The con in Northampton is on 10 -12 November this year. I was hoping to put the site logo on a shirt and will probably ponce one of the others from the old nabble forum. I have just been out and bought 4 shirts ready for the transfers. Should we have a quick t-shirt logo competition?

It would be nice if the shirts we wear to the Cons were displaying an "official" t-shirt logo. It has to be different from the site logo because of the limitations of transfer design elements (fading, glow). Its a bit wide for a clearly readable t-shirt logo. I think this is a great idea! See what he says.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You do it!

Have you asked him already or shall I do it now?

Our Con dates are within two weeks of each other! Do you have ANY idea how much impact it could have at the Con if somebody in Northampton was wearing one, and then somebody completely different in Los Angeles is seen wearing an identical shirt?

:eek: :confused: :icon_mad: :icon_e_sad:

It could be the ultimate fake footprint!

OCgatergal

GateFans Noob
I'm going to the LA con too. So you won't be the only person with an SGU sucks shirt! I made this a few months ago and it's actually holding up very well. It looks a little awkward that the background and the shirt don't match but it was the only logo I had at the time. But I'm happy with mine anyways, thought I may add sexy dexy's on the back. PS, washing the shirt inside out helps preserve the iron on.
001-8.jpg

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
I'm going to the LA con too. So you won't be the only person with an SGU sucks shirt! I made this a few months ago and it's actually holding up very well. It looks a little awkward that the background and the shirt don't match but it was the only logo I had at the time. But I'm happy with mine anyways, thought I may add sexy dexy's on the back. PS, washing the shirt inside out helps preserve the iron on.
001-8.jpg
thumbs up for the great shirt! :D

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
How did you make it?

001-8.jpg

Did you use the Avery fabric transfers for the shirt? It looks like it is holding up well!

R

Robbie_Rocket_Pants

Hey, it looks like the orgs of Chevron 7.5 are taking questions now by email on their home page so that fans don't have to fumble around with paper.

http://www.massiveevents.co.uk/chevron75/questions.php

This could be a bad thing in that they (or TPTB) could censor any anti-SGU questions & they could pick & choose which fans get to ask questions................. then again it could be good to stand there wearing the website t-shirt, stick my chest out with pride & ask Michael Shanks "Do you believe as I do, that SGU sucks more ass than colonic irrigation?"

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Hey, it looks like the orgs of Chevron 7.5 are taking questions now by email on their home page so that fans don't have to fumble around with paper.

http://www.massiveevents.co.uk/chevron75/questions.php

This could be a bad thing in that they (or TPTB) could censor any anti-SGU questions & they could pick & choose which fans get to ask questions................. then again it could be good to stand there wearing the website t-shirt, stick my chest out with pride & ask Michael Shanks "Do you believe as I do, that SGU sucks more ass than colonic irrigation?"

"we have decided to start taking suggestions for questions prior to the event"
uh huh...sounds like pressure from TPTB to prevent any sgpoo stinks questions! ;)

SexyDexy

GateFans Noob
Also don't put them in the dryer!

Wash the shirts inside out like OCgatergal said, and also don't put them in the dryer! Hang them up to air dry. The heat in the dryer cracks the iron-on stuff. Also, very hot water is not good either. But warm is usually okay.

I wouldn't be surprised if the cons try to ban the shirts too, as well as preventing anti-SGU questions :mad:

I think we talked about this on the old forum once or twice, but I want to mention it again. A cheaper option than handing out T-shirts to other participants would be to hand out buttons that say SGU sucks. I know on CafePress you can make buttons, I am sure at other places you can too, so not sure what the cheapest place is. But on CafePress, you can get 100 custom 2.25 inch buttons for $150, and 100 custom 3.5 inch buttons for $195. You would get in trouble for selling the buttons at the con, I'm sure, but you could hand them out, right? Just don't leave them on the freebies table because then for sure the organizers or SGU lovers would dump them in the trash. Even then, I'd bet a lot of con participants would be willing to "donate" a dollar or two to help cover the costs of the button (you could say, they are free, but it cost about 2 dollars a button for me to make, so if you want to donate that's great, or something along those lines)?

It would be SOOOO awesome at a con to have everyone wearing those buttons, in addition to several people wearing the T-shirts. I can just imagine the looks on the SGU actor's faces to look around and see most of the crowd wearing SGU sucks buttons! For a button a simple design is probably best - just SGUS and then www.sgusucks.com under it.

R

Robbie_Rocket_Pants

Wash the shirts inside out like OCgatergal said, and also don't put them in the dryer! Hang them up to air dry. The heat in the dryer cracks the iron-on stuff. Also, very hot water is not good either. But warm is usually okay.

I wouldn't be surprised if the cons try to ban the shirts too, as well as preventing anti-SGU questions :mad:

I think we talked about this on the old forum once or twice, but I want to mention it again. A cheaper option than handing out T-shirts to other participants would be to hand out buttons that say SGU sucks. I know on CafePress you can make buttons, I am sure at other places you can too, so not sure what the cheapest place is. But on CafePress, you can get 100 custom 2.25 inch buttons for $150, and 100 custom 3.5 inch buttons for $195. You would get in trouble for selling the buttons at the con, I'm sure, but you could hand them out, right? Just don't leave them on the freebies table because then for sure the organizers or SGU lovers would dump them in the trash. Even then, I'd bet a lot of con participants would be willing to "donate" a dollar or two to help cover the costs of the button (you could say, they are free, but it cost about 2 dollars a button for me to make, so if you want to donate that's great, or something along those lines)?

It would be SOOOO awesome at a con to have everyone wearing those buttons, in addition to several people wearing the T-shirts. I can just imagine the looks on the SGU actor's faces to look around and see most of the crowd wearing SGU sucks buttons! For a button a simple design is probably best - just SGUS and then www.sgusucks.com under it.

Hahaha that's an awesome idea. Maybe Pig & I should go around wearing sgusucks t-shirts & go up to other patrons & ask what their feelings are on SGU & if their feelings are negative, give him/her a button for free on the condition that it is worn on the upper most garment with pride. :D

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I thought about that too.

On a more serious note the organisers do state that they reserve the right to throw anybody out for any reason that takes their fancy. Is this con being run by gayteworld? Chances are they might ask us to cover up the shirts or leave the con.

THAT is what Im worried about. The LA Con is very expensive compared to the others. I think that our logo is more known by the fandom than by organizers or authorities who are running the event. Thats why I was thinking about using a more understated design. Do you think that wearing an SGU°S t-shirt would be enough to get somebody thrown out? I dont think so somehow. I am 80/20 in favor of attending the Con in November. :) If I do, I will definitely be wearing my t-shirt!

SexyDexy

GateFans Noob
Just tell them it means SGU superfan!

THAT is what Im worried about. The LA Con is very expensive compared to the others. I think that our logo is more known by the fandom than by organizers or authorities who are running the event. Thats why I was thinking about using a more understated design. Do you think that wearing an SGU°S t-shirt would be enough to get somebody thrown out? I dont think so somehow. I am 80/20 in favor of attending the Con in November. :) If I do, I will definitely be wearing my t-shirt!

To be safe, you could have a T-shirt that has only the SGU°S logo on it, but not the url. Maybe the buttons could only have SGU°S and no url. That way, when challenged you could tell people it stands for SGU superfan ;) But everyone else would know what it really means! Maybe on the back of the T-shirt you could have "ironic" statements like:

Destiny...
Clearly ancient...
More drama than ever before...
Visiting bars on Earth!
Cool music montages.
Shaky cam.
CGI aliens that could beat up a rubber-faced wraith any day!
Totally kicking SGA and SG-1's butt in the ratings!
Yeah, we're in for the looooooong haul, baby!
SGU°S

Not sure my use of the word "ironic" is correct, but you know what I mean. Statements that you could say mean the show is good, but really they are not. Like those "white lies" from twitter. Basically, sarcastic comments that can't be proven to be insults to the show. It would be a delicate balance, since you wouldn't want anyone like our dear SGA/SG-1 actors to think you really liked SGU, but you'd want to be allowed to keep wearing the shirt.