Game of Thrones with Jason Momoa...the series starts tonight!

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Eh, I don't find the series complex or deep, just has a lot of characters and lots of squabbling. I mean if you think about it, most fantasies involve long standing noble houses or families, so after a long time, you'd think that they'd all be related cause of all the marriages that are likely going to take place between the families. But apparently not, lol. Just my opinion.

G

Graybrew1

Eh, I don't find the series complex or deep, just has a lot of characters and lots of squabbling. I mean if you think about it, most fantasies involve long standing noble houses or families, so after a long time, you'd think that they'd all be related cause of all the marriages that are likely going to take place between the families. But apparently not, lol. Just my opinion.

Getting back the idea of facts, I thought that was pretty much true. Even in Delaware the Duponts were known to have inbred to try to keep the money and power all in the family. :icon_e_wink:
They had children with birth defects as a result of it, and is rumored to be one of the reasons for them doing The Aflred I Dupont Children's Hospital.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
It looks like NetFlix only has the first 6 episodes streaming as well. Not sure about ITunes.

But is that from the prequel Spartacus: Gods of the Arena, which only had six episodes, or is it from Blood and Sand, the original series which had 10 episodes? I mean the prequel is as good, if not better than Blood and Sand since they were able to find out what worked and what didn't work with Blood and Sand, however the problem with watching GotA before BaS is that the very first scene of the first episode of GotA completely spoils the ending of BoS.

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
But is that from the prequel Spartacus: Gods of the Arena, which only had six episodes, or is it from Blood and Sand, the original series which had 10 episodes? I mean the prequel is as good, if not better than Blood and Sand since they were able to find out what worked and what didn't work with Blood and Sand, however the problem with watching GotA before BaS is that the very first scene of the first episode of GotA completely spoils the ending of BoS.

It was Blood and Sand. I don't think GOTA is available yet. Agreed, Blood and Sand needs to be watched first to avoid major spoilers. ;)

SciphonicStranger

So much for Lord Stark... :P

SciphonicStranger

Crap I missed it. I am recording it in about 47 min.

I think you will like it. Though I am starting to run low on characters that I like. ;)

G

Graybrew1

No more Ned. No more Drogo. I wish they kill that little bratty King off next. ;)

SciphonicStranger

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Did you like the resolution graybrew? I didn't really like it, the author seemed to do stuff simply for shock value. It got to be a bit ridiculous. Quite frankly, I don't understand why he has such 'prestige'. To me, he seems more like the 'Jersey Shore' or BSG of fantasy.

G

Graybrew1

Did you like the resolution graybrew? I didn't really like it, the author seemed to do stuff simply for shock value. It got to be a bit ridiculous. Quite frankly, I don't understand why he has such 'prestige'. To me, he seems more like the 'Jersey Shore' or BSG of fantasy.

I hated that they killed Stark. The Tyrion guy is even starting to get on my nerves, what was that with the drinking game supposed to mean? It went on for too long. Drogo dying does not really bother me. The Blondie needed to get a clue and listen to the man with the big sword.:P Now that they killed Stark off, I no longer care as much about the show, He was the anti-hero for me. So, what do we have left now? :( I assume his sons and wife are going to be seriously ticked.:rolleyes:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Those are my thoughts too. Im sure the actors are great and the show is okay, but I take issue with the glorification of that whole period of time in history. I cant get interested in watching a show which glorifies a time in history where lands are being stolen from other cultures and "royalty" is being created from that. I do not believe in royalty and I think that the time of European worldwide conquest is a smear on human history...hence, my lack of interest in this show. I love Jason Momoa as an actor, but I am not interested in a show about thrones and conquest. Dont get me started on the inbreeding! What sort of flawed mentality leads to a belief that skills and talent are somehow passed in the blood? :facepalm:

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Those are my thoughts too. Im sure the actors are great and the show is okay, but I take issue with the glorification of that whole period of time in history. I cant get interested in watching a show which glorifies a time in history where lands are being stolen from other cultures and "royalty" is being created from that. I do not believe in royalty and I think that the time of European worldwide conquest is a smear on human history...hence, my lack of interest in this show. I love Jason Momoa as an actor, but I am not interested in a show about thrones and conquest. Dont get me started on the inbreeding! What sort of flawed mentality leads to a belief that skills and talent are somehow passed in the blood? :facepalm:
Well, I'm reasonably certain that this isn't taking place on our world, as there IS magic, etc., involved...

Thus, I don't consider that it glorifies anything about a time in our history.

More supernatural stuff (including fantastical beasties) happens over the course of the novels, and I'm fairly certain those kinds of things didn't happen during our medieval period, nor do they happen now in current time. ;)

G

Graybrew1

Well, I'm reasonably certain that this isn't taking place on our world, as there IS magic, etc., involved...

Thus, I don't consider that it glorifies anything about a time in our history.

More supernatural stuff (including fantastical beasties) happens over the course of the novels, and I'm fairly certain those kinds of things didn't happen during our medieval period, nor do they happen now in current time. ;)

The inbreeding was for real. I mentioned this earlier but, the uber rich self appointed "State Royalty" family of the Duponts of Delaware did it. They had children as of a result of doing it too many times with birth defects and it is said to be the reason they created the infamous AI Dupont Children's Hospital.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
The inbreeding was for real. I mentioned this earlier but, the uber rich self appointed "State Royalty" family of the Duponts of Delaware did it. They had children as of a result of doing it too many times with birth defects and it is said to be the reason they created the infamous AI Dupont Children's Hospital.
Inbreeding has been common in "royal" families for hundreds, if not thousands, of years. Brother/sister marriages, for example, were very common during the time of the Egyptian pharoahs.

I was referring to the suggestion that this "glorifies" the past history of this, the third rock from the Sun. ;)

Even using the broadest comparisons (removing anything that even vaguely smells of the supernatural from the novels/program), this in no way "glorifies" medieval times, and, in fact, might even suggest that those times were brutal, even for those nominally in power.

G

Graybrew1

Inbreeding has been common in "royal" families for hundreds, if not thousands, of years. Brother/sister marriages, for example, were very common during the time of the Egyptian pharoahs.

I was referring to the suggestion that this "glorifies" the past history of this, the third rock from the Sun. ;)

Even using the broadest comparisons (removing anything that even vaguely smells of the supernatural from the novels/program), this in no way "glorifies" medieval times, and, in fact, might even suggest that those times were brutal, even for those nominally in power.

Yes, then I agree with you. I don't have a problem with this show because of the time period. The writing seems to be getting weaker. Very much shock and awe. Lots of gratuitous sex and violence. At least in The Tudors they really made you understand the character's better. I might not have liked what Henry did, but I understood why. I feel the same way with the Borgias. I think that show is much better written. I love well written historical dramas.

The character's that are left alive now are much more two dimensional and so I have little care left as to who will live and who will die. I get the feeling they are running out of things to throw at me. And where is all this magic we are supposed to be getting? It is taking to long to get to it. Don't get me know, I will continue to watch it, but I hope it gets better.