Game of Thrones with Jason Momoa...the series starts tonight!

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Yes, then I agree with you. I don't have a problem with this show because of the time period. The writing seems to be getting weaker. Very much shock and awe. Lots of gratuitous sex and violence. At least in The Tudors they really made you understand the character's better. I might not have liked what Henry did, but I understood why. I feel the same way with the Borgias. I think that show is much better written. I love well written historical dramas.

The character's that are left alive now are much more two dimensional and so I have little care left as to who will live and who will die. I get the feeling they are running out of things to throw at me. And where is all this magic we are supposed to be getting? It is taking to long to get to it. Don't get me know, I will continue to watch it, but I hope it gets better.

that is why I gave up on the books...the first one was great BUT they rapidly went downhill. i barely finished the most recent one and am not sure if I will buy the next one.

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
I've said it before and I'll say it again...I'm still rooting for the dire wolves. ;)

Only one more episode to go for season 1. Maybe they'll stray away from the books and it will be better in season two.

G

Graybrew1

that is why I gave up on the books...the first one was great BUT they rapidly went downhill. i barely finished the most recent one and am not sure if I will buy the next one.

The ironic thing is the show is a hit. Already renewed and the critics seem to like it. How unfair is that when you look at shows like V ,Lie to Me and Human Target( I loved that show)that were not given a second chance?

I suppose when you kill off major character's left and right like this, you can always re-invent the show. If I had not heard form you that the books are no better, then I would have had higher hopes. Or maybe I am just being cynical?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yeah, the books really aren't that good. They were basically picked because of the sexual content I think.

Basically the books are a D&D ish fantasy very loosely based on the historical War of the Roses.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
The ironic thing is the show is a hit. Already renewed and the critics seem to like it. How unfair is that when you look at shows like V ,Lie to Me and Human Target( I loved that show)that were not given a second chance?

I suppose when you kill off major character's left and right like this, you can always re-invent the show. If I had not heard form you that the books are no better, then I would have had higher hopes. Or maybe I am just being cynical?
I loved that show and I will miss it.

I liked the humor, and the cast was fun to watch.

Chi McBride has always been great for grumbly, snarky humor. :)

SciphonicStranger

It does seem to be getting good ratings. From tvbythenumbers for the June 5th episode...

Live plus SD
2.715 million viewers
1.2 A18-49

Numbers like that would have kept SGU truckin' for another season. ;)

G

Graybrew1

I loved that show and I will miss it.

I liked the humor, and the cast was fun to watch.

Chi McBride has always been great for grumbly, snarky humor. :)

Sorry to go OT, but yes I hated that stupid Pie show but he was great in that too. Hope he gets another show.

Maybe they can give him a role in TGOT. :icon_e_wink: Whew, I got back OT. :biggrin:

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
I hated that they killed Stark. The Tyrion guy is even starting to get on my nerves, what was that with the drinking game supposed to mean? It went on for too long. Drogo dying does not really bother me. The Blondie needed to get a clue and listen to the man with the big sword.:P Now that they killed Stark off, I no longer care as much about the show, He was the anti-hero for me. So, what do we have left now? :( I assume his sons and wife are going to be seriously ticked.:rolleyes:
Yes, I had that problem as well. He tries to resolve it by introducing new characters and other crap. I lost interest in it really fast.

Those are my thoughts too. Im sure the actors are great and the show is okay, but I take issue with the glorification of that whole period of time in history. I cant get interested in watching a show which glorifies a time in history where lands are being stolen from other cultures and "royalty" is being created from that. I do not believe in royalty and I think that the time of European worldwide conquest is a smear on human history...hence, my lack of interest in this show. I love Jason Momoa as an actor, but I am not interested in a show about thrones and conquest. Dont get me started on the inbreeding! What sort of flawed mentality leads to a belief that skills and talent are somehow passed in the blood? :facepalm:
Yeah, I know what you mean, the medieval setting in most fantasies. But in terms of books, this is still my favourite genre for some reasons. I know you value science and stuff, but in most fantasies (i.e. don't judge fantasies by the stuff you see on the big screen and tv), they try to reinvent the science of the world and give some structure to the worlds authors create, basically a new kind of science. I do like the few ones that do. It just makes for some good, new storytelling.

Yes, then I agree with you. I don't have a problem with this show because of the time period. The writing seems to be getting weaker. Very much shock and awe. Lots of gratuitous sex and violence. At least in The Tudors they really made you understand the character's better. I might not have liked what Henry did, but I understood why. I feel the same way with the Borgias. I think that show is much better written. I love well written historical dramas.

The character's that are left alive now are much more two dimensional and so I have little care left as to who will live and who will die. I get the feeling they are running out of things to throw at me. And where is all this magic we are supposed to be getting? It is taking to long to get to it. Don't get me know, I will continue to watch it, but I hope it gets better.
haha, like I said, he's gonna start emphasizing the other characters more, and new characters. But they're just bleh. Jon's all right but eh.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...I'm still rooting for the dire wolves. ;)

Only one more episode to go for season 1. Maybe they'll stray away from the books and it will be better in season two.
Don't think they'll deviate too much from the books. They seem to be pretty consistent with them.

Yeah, what I meant by overused shock value. Not just character deaths but other stuff too. It becomes kind of senseless, to me at least. Like he doesn't have a good story to tell so he's oversaturating it with lots of 'shock value' to make up for lack of strong content.

Yeah, the books really aren't that good. They were basically picked because of the sexual content I think.

Basically the books are a D&D ish fantasy very loosely based on the historical War of the Roses.
If you're looking for other fantasy to read, I'd highly recommend Brandon Sanderson's Way of Kings. Very good book. I'm hating that I have to wait for so long for the next one. I should probably go find out his progress...

SciphonicStranger

I think this is the season finale tonight. I missed the first airing but the 2nd one is starting now. :)

SciphonicStranger

What time zone? EDT? I missed it too.

Yeah EDT, started at 11:15PM. I'll keep the spoilers to myself until you get caught up. ;)

SciphonicStranger

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
That got to be a bit much (some unnecessary nudity, more incest great eyeroll, boys reciting the oath, gun tooting cowboy attitude of the Black, unrealistic Joffrey brattiness and Cersi just sitting there with an IQ of 5), but finally some fantasy elements. Will be nice to see how it continues though, hopefully they won't gloss over the eye candy stuff that I'm continuing to watch for, fantasy stuff.

SciphonicStranger

That got to be a bit much (some unnecessary nudity, more incest great eyeroll, boys reciting the oath, gun tooting cowboy attitude of the Black, unrealistic Joffrey brattiness and Cersi just sitting there with an IQ of 5), but finally some fantasy elements. Will be nice to see how it continues though, hopefully they won't gloss over the eye candy stuff that I'm continuing to watch for, fantasy stuff.

All that and heads on pikes too... :P

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Wonder who's gonna play all the new characters.
I wonder how they're gonna do the Jamie semi-redemption/epiphany thing.

SciphonicStranger

Wonder who's gonna play all the new characters.
I wonder how they're gonna do the Jamie semi-redemption/epiphany thing.

That's what this show really needs - MORE CHARACTERS. :D

Seriously, it was tough enough keeping track of who was who in seaon 1. :P