Game of Thrones with Jason Momoa...the series starts tonight!

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
I'm really enjoying it but it is a little hard to keep track of all the plotlines. They might be doing us a favor by not including every character from the books.
That's true, some of them are important but they'll probably explore them when they become relevant.

Savatage

GateFans Member
Stark's sister in law is nuts. Tyrion said as much when they captured him, something to the nature of - She was never stable to begin with and now after the death of her husband she's gone over the edge. The B feeding scene was supposed to drive that home. Was it for shock value? Yep, why do you think HBO decided to do this series in the first place? They love shock value and they can put it together with a good story. It gives them a chance to show all the things a regular network can't show. I think they add in tons of nudity to make it difficult to edit down to something that can be shown on regular TV, so if you want to see it, you have to subscribe or get the DVDs.

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
Stark's sister in law is nuts. Tyrion said as much when they captured him, something to the nature of - She was never stable to begin with and now after the death of her husband she's gone over the edge. The B feeding scene was supposed to drive that home. Was it for shock value? Yep, why do you think HBO decided to do this series in the first place? They love shock value and they can put it together with a good story. It gives them a chance to show all the things a regular network can't show. I think they add in tons of nudity to make it difficult to edit down to something that can be shown on regular TV, so if you want to see it, you have to subscribe or get the DVDs.

I think they noticed that Spartacus was successful on Starz last year and decided to pick up a project to enter the "market". ;)

SciphonicStranger

OT I know, But was Spartacus any good?

Better or worse than TGOT. There got it back on topic. :D

You know, I thought Spartacus was pretty silly at the beginning (mostly for the ridiculous over the top CGI gore), but then I kept watching and it reeled me in to the point of being a must watch show. I thought the "Gods of the Arena" miniseries was pretty good as well.

That said, I'm finding Game of Thrones to be much deeper and more complex than Spartacus. There are a lot more stories going on at the same time than there ever were in Spartacus. Not sure which show I would rate over the other at this point - I think I need to see the rest of TGOT first. :D

BTW, they are planning another season of Spartacus but unfortunately Andy Whitfield who played the lead role has Non-Hodgkin lymphoma. :(

I think I read somewhere that they will have another actor take his place which usually isn't good for any show.

G

Graybrew1

You know, I thought Spartacus was pretty silly at the beginning (mostly for the ridiculous over the top CGI gore), but then I kept watching and it reeled me in to the point of being a must watch show. I thought the "Gods of the Arena" miniseries was pretty good as well.

That said, I'm finding Game of Thrones to be much deeper and more complex than Spartacus. There are a lot more stories going on at the same time than there ever were in Spartacus. Not sure which show I would rate over the other at this point - I think I need to see the rest of TGOT first. :D

BTW, they are planning another season of Spartacus but unfortunately Andy Whitfield who played the lead role has Non-Hodgkin lymphoma. :(

I think I read somewhere that they will have another actor take his place which usually isn't good for any show.

Okay thanks for the info. Something else I can put on my list.

I agree TGOT is good. I like this type of historical drama. I do still like the Borgias a little better. And I also still like TGOT much better than Camelot.

SciphonicStranger

Okay thanks for the info. Something else I can put on my list.

I agree TGOT is good. I like this type of historical drama. I do still like the Borgias a little better. And I also still like TGOT much better than Camelot.

I would say that Spartacus and The Borgias are more historical than TGOT and Camelot. ;)

G

Graybrew1

I would say that Spartacus and The Borgias are more historical than TGOT and Camelot. ;)

Interesting, then I might really like Spartacus alot. I really enjoyed the Tudors too. TGOT is fun, but Borgias is to me even darker, especially knowing that it has a small amount of factual history involved.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The thing is none of the Cable "Historical" dramas are actually historical. Spartacus has little in common with history and no doubt the Borgias is just as bad. So don't think of them as history.

SciphonicStranger

Interesting, then I might really like Spartacus alot. I really enjoyed the Tudors too. TGOT is fun, but Borgias is to me even darker, especially knowing that it has a small amount of factual history involved.

I just checked my Fios on-demand and the first 6 episodes of Spartacus are there if you want to check them out. Unfortunately they don't seem to have the HD versions there right now though. :(

G

Graybrew1

The thing is none of the Cable "Historical" dramas are actually historical. Spartacus has little in common with history and no doubt the Borgias is just as bad. So don't think of them as history.

Not true history, No. But the Borgias did exist. So some is drama, some is rumor and some is said to be based on facts.

SciphonicStranger

Historical in that there were gladiators and sleazy popes back in the day. ;)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Not true history, No. But the Borgias did exist. So some is drama, some is rumor and some is said to be based on facts.

They have some facts as dressing, but the guts typically is pure fiction drama. Spartacus especially is doing this as we don't really know much about Spartacus before the revolt. The Tudors was also a big offender in this area.

G

Graybrew1

I just checked my Fios on-demand and the first 6 episodes of Spartacus are there if you want to check them out. Unfortunately they don't seem to have the HD versions there right now though. :(

I like to start a show from scratch. Is it on Netflix or Itunes? I hate to have to buy a DVD.

G

Graybrew1

They have some facts as dressing, but the guts typically is pure fiction drama. Spartacus especially is doing this as we don't really know much about Spartacus before the revolt. The Tudors was also a big offender in this area.

Joelist you are bursting my bubble, Bud. :( Can we just pretend there is some possibility of facts involved. :P
I got to get to bed, you guys have fun.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Joelist you are bursting my bubble, Bud. :( Can we just pretend there is some possibility of facts involved. :P
I got to get to bed, you guys have fun.

Anything for you GB!!

As of now, we will all officially believe that the Cable "histo-dramas" are really historical :)

SciphonicStranger

I like to start a show from scratch. Is it on Netflix or Itunes? I hate to have to buy a DVD.

It looks like NetFlix only has the first 6 episodes streaming as well. Not sure about ITunes.

Whoops, I think we are straying off topic again - did I mention how much I like TGOTs? ;)