Football (American) Chit Chat

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
They are still undefeated and crushed #3 Arkansas today. College football needs a playoff system badly but I'm not sure it would matter this year.

The final answer to my question turned out to be "yes". I still think that American college football needs a playoff system. :facepalm:

G

Graybrew1

The final answer to my question turned out to be "yes". I still think that American college football needs a playoff system. :facepalm:

I agree, the Bowl games are about nothing but pure greed IMO. A playoff system would make the wins feel more legimate somewhow, or just perhaps more meaningful.

SciphonicStranger

I agree, the Bowl games are about nothing but pure greed IMO. A playoff system would make the wins feel more legimate somewhow, or just perhaps more meaningful.

#2 beat #1 21-0 tonight. When it is lopsided like that it makes one wonder how other teams might have done in a tournament scenario. I think the money is still there (probably more than they get now) but dividing it will always work to prevent change of the system.

G

Graybrew1

#2 beat #1 21-0 tonight. When it is lopsided like that it makes one wonder how other teams might have done in a tournament scenario. I think the money is still there (probably more than they get now) but dividing it will always work to prevent change of the system.

You are the football guru no doubt, but I do agree. Just because it would be better will do nothing....if they would lose one penny .....it will never happen.

Money makes the world spin.:mallozzicry:

SciphonicStranger

You are the football guru no doubt, but I do agree. Just because it would be better will do nothing....if they would lose one penny .....it will never happen.

Money makes the world spin.:mallozzicry:

It is a great part of American society but also a bane when it comes to things like major college football. As a football fan it pains me to say it, but college basketball has a much better system. :P

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I'm not much into college football and it doesn't help that the Badgers got their butts handed to them at the Rose bowl this year. :( Nothing against college football, but it becomes too much to take in when also dealing with the NFL.

Speaking of which, I've got a bad feeling about Green Bay's defense as they go into the playoffs. There is a damn good chance that the Giants will kick them right in the crotch. :( :( :(

SciphonicStranger

I'm not much into college football and it doesn't help that the Badgers got their butts handed to them at the Rose bowl this year. :( Nothing against college football, but it becomes too much to take in when also dealing with the NFL.

Speaking of which, I've got a bad feeling about Green Bay's defense as they go into the playoffs. There is a damn good chance that the Giants will kick them right in the crotch. :( :( :(

You are such a pessimist - I will bet you a hit of my new MOD green that Green Bay defeats the NY Giants this week. :D

G

Graybrew1

Okay Football Fans, what are your grand plans for the Superbowl?:)
I have not decided mine yet. :rolleyes:

SciphonicStranger

Okay Football Fans, what are your grand plans for the Superbowl?:)
I have not decided mine yet. :rolleyes:

What do you mean - you didn't get invited to the big party at shavedape's house? :eek: :D

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Just waitin' to see who ends up playing in it.

Last year, my daughter and I had the pleasure of seeing NCIS: LA actor Eric Christian Olsen (Deeks) at a local grocery store on Super Bowl Sunday, doing his shopping. We didn't say anything to him and tried to be nonchalant about things, but we both recognized him (verified we'd recognized him when we went into another aisle a few down from where he was. I'm not into ambushing actors when they're out being "real" people).

I'll admit I found it a bit sad that at least one of his costars hadn't invited him over to watch. Or at least that SOMEone hadn't done so. But then, who knows, he could have worked six days that week and that was his only day off to get mundane things done. It's pretty common in the industry.

G

Graybrew1

Last year, my daughter and I had the pleasure of seeing NCIS: LA actor Eric Christian Olsen (Deeks) at a local grocery store on Super Bowl Sunday, doing his shopping. We didn't say anything to him and tried to be nonchalant about things, but we both recognized him (verified we'd recognized him when we went into another aisle a few down from where he was. I'm not into ambushing actors when they're out being "real" people).

I'll admit I found it a bit sad that at least one of his costars hadn't invited him over to watch. Or at least that SOMEone hadn't done so. But then, who knows, he could have worked six days that week and that was his only day off to get mundane things done. It's pretty common in the industry.

Could he be a non football guy, like some of our posters here?:confused:

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Could he be a non football guy, like some of our posters here?:confused:
Tis possible.

It was just kind of sad seeing him trying to be incognito in his baseball cap that was pulled down low over his face, dark blond hair poking out from underneath and his scraggly beard gracing his cheeks at the grocery store.

G

Graybrew1

Poor Bud. :( I hope he gets to go to a kick-ass party this year.

SciphonicStranger

Poor Bud. :( I hope he gets to go to a kick-ass party this year.

That has already been arranged - he'll be at shaved's huge bash. ;)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
That has already been arranged - he'll be at shaved's huge bash. ;)

If the Packers don't win I'll be hiding in a hole I've dug in my now-frozen back yard; curled in the fetal position, crying. :(

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

To digress a moment I just want to point out the benefit of going shopping or to a restaurant during a football game. It's usually the best time as there are fewer people clogging up those places. I've actually had to tape a few games for an indigent relative so I took advantage of that time and snuck out to grab a bite. Good thing is that every place I've gone has had the game on while I was eating, and these weren't sports bars. Never had a problem getting a table during game time. So, there's your GateFans hint of the day. ;)

SciphonicStranger

If the Packers don't win I'll be hiding in a hole I've dug in my now-frozen back yard; curled in the fetal position, crying. :(

My green bet is still on the table for that one. I don't think they will lose until next week... :D

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
My green bet is still on the table for that one. I don't think they will lose until next week... :D

I'm forcing myself not to think about it. Their defense is really, really bad this year. Sure they've gone 15-1 but that was no thanks to their defense. There were several games that were real slug fests until the very end all because the Packer's defense was phoning it in. :(

SciphonicStranger

OK, I won't jinx it for you. But I did see the Giants a lot this year and if the Packers can contain Victor Cruz I think it should be an easy win. ;)