Football (American) Chit Chat

G

Graybrew1

Yeah!
Football time is coming up soon.

I hope my Eagles do better than the Phillies.

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
I'm glad the new season is starting tomorrow but I really wish the league would resolve the situation with the real referees. This replacement ref crap is most likely going to be awful. :moody:

Have I ever mentioned how much I despise unions? :tongue:

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I'm glad the new season is starting tomorrow but I really wish the league would resolve the situation with the real referees. This replacement ref crap is most likely going to be awful. :moody:

Have I ever mentioned how much I despise unions? :tongue:

Why? Without unions, we would be paying about 40% of what we pay now for a car. Imagine what a waste all that extra money would represent just lying around doing nothing.

SciphonicStranger

Why? Without unions, we would be paying about 40% of what we pay now for a car. Imagine what a waste all that extra money would represent just lying around doing nothing.

I imagine some of it would be spent on tickets to NFL games.

G

Graybrew1

OT, I know, but the auto unions had much to do with what happened the industry. The unions were created to protect the workers from abuse. They are so corrupt today and are about nothing more than greed.

I never feel sorry for any professional sports players striking, union or not. Not really sure how I feel about the refs in Football though because I doubt most of them don't also already have another day job. I did not think it was a full time job like the umpires in baseball. How many games are there again a year now?

SciphonicStranger

OT, I know, but the auto unions had much to do with what happened the industry. The unions were created to protect the workers from abuse. They are so corrupt today and are about nothing more than greed.

I never feel sorry for any professional sports players striking, union or not. Not really sure how I feel about the refs in Football though because I doubt most of them don't also already have another day job. I did not think it was a full time job like the umpires in baseball. How many games are there again a year now?

16 games. 19 or 20 for the team that wins the Super Bowl.

I think one of the things the officials are fighting against is becoming full time employees. I think many of them have other jobs that they don't want to give up.

G

Graybrew1

16 games. 19 or 20 for the team that wins the Super Bowl.

I think one of the things the officials are fighting against is becoming full time employees. I think many of them have other jobs that they don't want to give up.

They can MAKE them become full time employees if they only work for half the year? Why would the NFL want to do that? I would think that lets them out of providing benefits to them if they are part time?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Actually they get benefits even though they are part time. Including medical insurance and the like.

I have no compunction about making them full time as part of that would mean they would then be spending time making sure they fully understand the rules. They could also use offseason together in film review to work on having the same rule be called the same way everywhere - Pass Interference and Holding are notorious for being called differently by different crews.

G

Graybrew1

Actually they get benefits even though they are part time. Including medical insurance and the like.

I have no compunction about making them full time as part of that would mean they would then be spending time making sure they fully understand the rules. They could also use offseason together in film review to work on having the same rule be called the same way everywhere - Pass Interference and Holding are notorious for being called differently by different crews.

Are they going to pay them enough to be full time now?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
They already get more than enough to be full time - their part time pay is something like 5-6K per game. But I gather the full time salary would put them near the 200K per year level.

G

Graybrew1

They already get more than enough to be full time - their part time pay is something like 5-6K per game. But I gather the full time salary would put them near the 200K per year level.

Good Golly, are they hiring? Who thinks I would make a good ref?? :angel:

SciphonicStranger

Must say, I find these MNF beat downs to be a little boring. :tongue:

poundpuppy29

Scifi & Fantasy Junkie
I love the New England Pats just wanted to say that and they were lucky on Sunday

SciphonicStranger

I must say, so far this NFL season has been as fun as gargling donkey testicles. (Apologies to any Houston Texan fans out there…)