Fear the Festering Turd (aka Fear The Walking Dead)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I felt like puking when I saw them attempt to make Dr. Rush a sex symbol. If women find the greasy, long-haired, unwashed look sexy then I'm glad I'm gay because I just don't understand it.

Stargate-Universe_l.jpg%7Ec200
:smiley-015:

:icon_rotflmao::shep_lol::jackanime14:

I think Nick has him outdone...

nickfilthy.gif

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Why would anyone leave the city for the desert in an apocalypse? The food stores and water reservoirs and tools and abandoned pawn shops and gun shops are loaded with weapons and ammo. There are going to be more survivors in the city than in the desert.

Especially when one has no observable survival skills. The characters are all people that are "soft". Do they really think food, lodging and supplies will magically appear when they get to the desert? It's one thing to want to escape an area during war or a plague, etc., but any idiot could figure out that if the military is keeping them in one spot and providing spotty power, food and medical care that things are falling apart in other places also. So why flee the area that you know for a vague destination?

Hell, when the SHTF people in the desert and rural areas will not be welcoming to hoards of people invading their sanctuaries, using their utilities and eating their limited food supplies. In short fleeing to a vague, unknown destination during a crisis like this is fools play.

*One thing that has bugged me about these characters is the complete lack of extended family structure. Does neither Travis or Madison have any siblings that they stay in contact with? When things start to get weird wouldn't you call up your brother in Glendale or your sister in Silverlake and discuss it with them? Wouldn't you talk about leaving the city and discuss destination plans? How is it that these characters live in a total social vacuum? That makes no sense. (The only one to even mention a brother was the barber. And then they never pursued that avenue of the story.)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Travis needs to go for sure. As it is I'm not thrilled with Madison as the actress playing her fails to properly emote any convincing emotion. (Just killed my boss, ho hum. My neighbor is a zombie that killed a dog in my living room then had his brains blown out, ho hum. My backyard neighbor friend is a zombie and I should probably put her down, ho hum. Just had sex with Travis in a car, ho hum.) I'm sure they will keep the character of Madison though and probably make her the Rick Grimes of the show. They will also keep Nick because the writers -- who love the smell of their own farts -- think he's an interesting character full of dramatic appeal. :rolleye0014:

I also don't like the daughter, but I don't dislike her as much as I anticipated I would. The character could either be a whiny miserable failure or she could grow into a post-apocalyptic bad ass. We shall see.

Madison's "ho hum" may be a great strategy for her to survive the first season of this show. :) I don't yet hate her. I hate Nick, and Travis has to go because he is a wimp. He reminds me of a castrated Chakotay. :) For all we know, Madison was doing him in the car with a strap on, just like he likes it. :anim_59:. I am still not over him walking TOWARDS the zombie as it is clearly is eating his dog in the living room. He actually almost embraces it. And his dumb optimism...what is the source of it? He says stuff like "Oh, now that (something happening) is happening, things will get better". To him, this is just like a freeway detour...it will clear up next week. :facepalm:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Madison's "ho hum" may be a great strategy for her to survive the first season of this show. :) I don;t yet hate her. I hate Nick, and Travis has to go because he is a wimp. He reminds me of a castrated Chakotay. :) For all we know, Madison was doing him in the car with a strap on, just like he likes it. :anim_59:. I am still not over him walking TOWARDS the zombie as it is clearly is eating his dog in the living room. He actually almost embraces it. And his dumb optimism...what is the source of it? He says stuff like "Oh, now that (something happening) is happening, things will get better". To him, this is just like a freeway detour...it will clear up next week. :facepalm:

Plus the fact that he had an issue with the barber showing his son how to work a shotgun showed that Travis is a moron. The world is falling apart around him. He's almost been killed by several zombies already. Yet he has a moral problem with his son learning to defend himself with a firearm because zombies are good and firearms are bad. :rolleye0014:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Plus the fact that he had an issue with the barber showing his son how to work a shotgun showed that Travis is a moron. The world is falling apart around him. He's almost been killed by several zombies already. Yet he has a moral problem with his son learning to defend himself with a firearm because zombies are good and firearms are bad. :rolleye0014:

And he still jogs. I wonder if he sits in front of the TV and fiddles with the cable box?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
And he still jogs. I wonder if he sits in front of the TV and fiddles with the cable box?

And yet this pussy somehow managed to get two women, both of which are stronger and more capable than him in every situation they encounter.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Frank Dillane a.k.a. "Nick" as a young Voldemort in Harry Potter:

Frank-Dillane-467.jpg

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
There's nothing wrong with being optimistic and hopeful. TWD writers had an opportunity to make a whole new show that avoided all the mistakes they made with the original one. They failed in that endeavor. In fact, I'd say that they willfully failed in that endeavor. They knew they were writing stupid, unappealing characters yet they did it anyway. In short, they are jerks.

So at this point I'll watch the show for an unintentional laugh. That's the only thing it's good for now.

clearly someone need the work--I mean it is what, a 5 ep season?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
clearly someone need the work--I mean it is what, a 5 ep season?

6 episodes if you include the pilot/premiere. Only two episodes left and we haven't learned anything about the development and evolution of the virus. It just magically appeared and 13 million residents of Los Angeles magically disappeared. :rolleye0014:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Episode "Cobalt". The writers tried really hard to make this episode edgy and engaging, but to me it just fell flat. I felt absolutely zero tension or angst or concern for anyone in this episode. The characters are all unappealing with the possible exception of Travis's ex-wife. At least she has a brain and a heart, something everyone else on this show is lacking.

In short this is a really cheap, shit production. The penuriousness of the producers is ridiculous. They could be giving us a cinema quality story every week but instead we get "Let's cut corners by having the teens play dress-up in an abandoned house". :rolleye0014:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
This is AMC remember? If they think they can get the audience by spending $5 they will spend $5 and by no means go even to $5.01 no matter the artistic reasons for doing so.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Season finale -- if you can call 6 episodes a season. :rolleye0014:

At any rate, it was fairly boring. I'm just not connecting to this show, not even in a negative way. Seriously, it doesn't gin up enough interest in me to even rip on how bad it is. That's how pathetic it is.

Oh -- I will give one spoiler though:

They actually killed off the one character that was worth rooting for, Travis's ex-wife. So now there isn't a single character I can relate to in this shitfest.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Season finale -- if you can call 6 episodes a season. :rolleye0014:

At any rate, it was fairly boring. I'm just not connecting to this show, not even in a negative way. Seriously, it doesn't gin up enough interest in me to even rip on how bad it is. That's how pathetic it is.

Oh -- I will give one spoiler though:

They actually killed off the one character that was worth rooting for, Travis's ex-wife. So now there isn't a single character I can relate to in this shitfest.

I have downloaded this and Z Nation. I will watch FTWD first, then settle in for another great Z Nation episode (The one with the plant/zombies) which I downloaded earlier but did not have time to watch. I assume Nick is still alive (:moody:).

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
One is like eating a bowl of raw tofu and the other is like eating fresh baked Ziti. guess which is which ... :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
One is like eating a bowl of raw tofu and the other is like eating fresh baked Ziti. guess which is which ... :)

Ziti is excellent! Easy to make and delicious (and very high carb because of the pasta). But it's comfort food. So....Fear The Walking Tofu. :smiley-laughing021:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yaaaaaaawn. So, this episode was a big finale? It had more extras in it than usual. Oh, and whomever the chainlink fence company they hired to do the fences is making a buttload of cash. Other than that, the not unexpected euthanasia of the old Hispanic lady was uneventful except for the fact that Liza had to do it. I was pleasantly surprised at some of the poignant lines they gave Nick. He said "I never knew where I was going. Everyone else is just catching up to me now.". I thought that sort of gave me a better understanding of what they are trying to accomplish with the Nick character. Take him from a loser drug addict to a responsible member of a team. At least that was the impression. Travis found his balls this episode. When he beat up the soldier he helped when he was betrayed, and finally when he shot Liza, he broke through the whiney overly optimistic wimp barrier (I hope).

I still have not connected with any of these characters and if they canceled the show I would not miss it. However folks...this show is currently the top scripted show on TV and is doing even better than The Walking Dead. That is downright depressing. :(

chandler-bing-falling-asleep-bored.gif

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Actually the ratings have crashed on this one. The premiere drew 10 million and by the finale it was drawing 6 million.

By contrast The Walking Dead drew 16 million for its finale and also three times the demo number. And this show (awful as it is) has held on to its audience as in the numbers do not drop off during the season.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Actually the ratings have crashed on this one. The premiere drew 10 million and by the finale it was drawing 6 million.

By contrast The Walking Dead drew 16 million for its finale and also three times the demo number. And this show (awful as it is) has held on to its audience as in the numbers do not drop off during the season.

I just did a brief check and came across the article which was saying it beat TWD's ratings. The point is that the show is not failing and will most likely continue.

Here is the article: https://www.thewrap.com/how-fear-th...-1-ratings-stack-up-against-the-walking-dead/