Fear the Festering Turd (aka Fear The Walking Dead)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
DUMB episode.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
DUMB episode.

For being a show about the beginnings of a zombie outbreak I'm not getting much fear or angst or shock from the story. Hell, we didn't even get a single walker in this one. There's no reason they couldn't have had one or two show up at the fence-line and be put down by the military.

But hey, it was worth it to see Nick take a slam to the face by the army guy when they come to take him away. :icon_lol: It was also good to see Madison slap him around earlier although she stopped far too soon in the beating. The part where he was crying in the bathroom and his sister comforts him simply because he got slapped by mommy because he's a sht stain drug addict was ridiculous. What really bugs me is that I know they won't kill Nick off anytime soon. He and Travis the Twat should definitely go.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
For being a show about the beginnings of a zombie outbreak I'm not getting much fear or angst or shock from the story. Hell, we didn't even get a single walker in this one. There's no reason they couldn't have had one or two show up at the fence-line and be put down by the military.

But hey, it was worth it to see Nick take a slam to the face by the army guy when they come to take him away. :icon_lol: It was also good to see Madison slap him around earlier although she stopped far too soon in the beating. The part where he was crying in the bathroom and his sister comforts him simply because he got slapped by mommy because he's a sht stain drug addict was ridiculous. What really bugs me is that I know they won't kill Nick off anytime soon. He and Travis the Twat should definitely go.

I was so disappointed in the episode I did not have energy to explain why I hated it. How did we go from last week to where the Martial Law forces were settling in, to being in a fenced off neighborhood where everyone inside does not seem to know wth has happened just two blocks over? Considering the bodies I saw in those streets, there would have been shots fired constantly. Plus, the son was talking about the house that had been burned. There were many houses burned. They would have seen them being burned, not "discovering" them the next morning.

The problem was that there should have been a "Three Weeks Later" blurb in the beginning. What was the dumb thing with the person flashing the mirror and flashlight a few blocks away? Why would anybody doubt that it was somebody alive? And speaking of alive...WHY IS NICK STILL ALIVE?!??? Nick is by far the worst, most disgusting character in this series. For some reason, they opened the series with him, and they showcase him as though he is somehow important to the story. Who the hell can relate with this loser? He is a needle-using drug addict (even drug addicts look down upon needle users). A %#$@ heroin addict does not deserve to live in a world where there are no drug dealers and where it is not easy to get methodone. And he is always DIRTY and greasy. He even manages to look dirty and greasy even when he is in water. Made me wonder if all that crud that was floating in that pool actually came off his body.

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I was so disappointed in the episode I did not have energy to explain why I hated it. How did we go from lasat week to where the Martial Law forces were settling in, to being in a fenced off neighborhood where everyone inside does not seem to know wtd has happened just two blocks over? Considering the bodies I saw in those streets, there would have been shots fired constantly. Plus, the son was talking about the house that had been burned. There were many houses burned. They would have seen them being burned, not "discovering" them the next morning.

The problem was that there should have been a "Three Weeks Later" blurb in the beginning. What was the dumb thing with the person flashing the mirror and flashlight a few blocks away? Why would anybody doubt that it was somebody alive? And speaking of alive...WHY IS NICK STILL ALIVE?!??? Nick is by far the worst, most disgusting character in this series. For some reason, they opened the series with him, and they showcase him as though he is somehow important to the story. Who the hell can relate with this loser? He is a needle-using drug addict (even drug addicts look down upon needle users). A %#$@ heroin addict does not deserve to live in a world where there are no drug dealers and where it is not easy to get methodone. And he is always DIRTY and greasy. He even manages to look dirty and greasy even when he is in water. Made me wonder if all that crud that was floating in that pool actually came off his body.

a ' 3 wks later' tag would have been nice, but in dialogue, they finally expressed that fact- in their slow lame way

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I was so disappointed in the episode I did not have energy to explain why I hated it. How did we go from last week to where the Martial Law forces were settling in, to being in a fenced off neighborhood where everyone inside does not seem to know wth has happened just two blocks over? Considering the bodies I saw in those streets, there would have been shots fired constantly. Plus, the son was talking about the house that had been burned. There were many houses burned. They would have seen them being burned, not "discovering" them the next morning.

That's why I wanted you to comment on it, because you're in L.A. and you of all people know first hand how ridiculous this episode was. There is, quite literally, no way that the military could have cleared out/killed that many people in an area of L.A. without the surrounding neighborhoods knowing about it. It's insulting that the writers actually think we're dumb enough to swallow this nonsense.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
That's why I wanted you to comment on it, because you're in L.A. and you of all people know first hand how ridiculous this episode was. There is, quite literally, no way that the military could have cleared out/killed that many people in an area of L.A. without the surrounding neighborhoods knowing about it. It's insulting that the writers actually think we're dumb enough to swallow this nonsense.

Top five reasons to keep Nick alive:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Lest we forget the underlying issue here is that this show (like TWD itself) has pretentions of being "Shakespeare with Zombies" but instead is a turgid soap opera with utterly illogical plots and characters that evoke no sympathy and whose actions make little to no sense.

And then on Friday we watch Z Nation which was no pretentions of being anything beyond silly fun and it is better paced, has more logical stories and has characters you can actually sympathize with.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Lest we forget the underlying issue here is that this show (like TWD itself) has pretentions of being "Shakespeare with Zombies" but instead is a turgid soap opera with utterly illogical plots and characters that evoke no sympathy and whose actions make little to no sense.

And then on Friday we watch Z Nation which was no pretentions of being anything beyond silly fun and it is better paced, has more logical stories and has characters you can actually sympathize with.

It's like night and day. I cannot believe I started to like this show. :) That was before I watched any of Z Nation. This thing looks stupid in comparison. Needlessly dramatic and poorly written. It isn't working. The characters are just so unappealing...nobody to root for (except the zeds). Its the SGU of zombie shows.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
It's like night and day. I cannot believe I started to like this show. :) That was before I watched any of Z Nation. This thing looks stupid in comparison. Needlessly dramatic and poorly written. It isn't working. The characters are just so unappealing...nobody to root for (except the zeds). Its the SGU of zombie shows.

There's nothing wrong with being optimistic and hopeful. TWD writers had an opportunity to make a whole new show that avoided all the mistakes they made with the original one. They failed in that endeavor. In fact, I'd say that they willfully failed in that endeavor. They knew they were writing stupid, unappealing characters yet they did it anyway. In short, they are jerks.

So at this point I'll watch the show for an unintentional laugh. That's the only thing it's good for now.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
There's nothing wrong with being optimistic and hopeful. TWD writers had an opportunity to make a whole new show that avoided all the mistakes they made with the original one. They failed in that endeavor. In fact, I'd say that they willfully failed in that endeavor. They knew they were writing stupid, unappealing characters yet they did it anyway. In short, they are jerks.

So at this point I'll watch the show for an unintentional laugh. That's the only thing it's good for now.

The things I said I liked about this show, I still like. Those things are being in a large city and not in the farmlands of the South, the diversity of the cast, LOTS MORE HUMANS (lots more people who are not zeds or gangs of twisted humans). Even the guy playing the "kid" is far more mature and engaging than Carl. Travis is a total wimp, and he needs to get munched by the end of this season. Nick adds nothing to this show and actually takes away from the story and the show itself. Yet, from what I can see, he is being showcased in the print ads, in the posters and in the press releases for this show. WHY? Kill him off. His character isnt interesting or cool, he is just pathetic and annoying.

This cannot be compared to Z Nation.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
The things I said I liked about this show, I still like. Those things are being in a large city and not in the farmlands of the South, the diversity of the cast, LOTS MORE HUMANS (lots more people who are not zeds or gangs of twisted humans). Even the guy playing the "kid" is far more mature and engaging than Carl. Travis is a total wimp, and he needs to get munched by the end of this season. Nick adds nothing to this show and actually takes away from the story and the show itself. Yet, from what I can see, he is being showcased in the print ads, in the posters and in the press releases for this show. WHY? Kill him off. His character isnt interesting or cool, he is just pathetic and annoying.

This cannot be compared to Z Nation.

I, too, thought that being set in L.A. it would be much better, but they really didn't utilize the setting very well at all. Where are all the people? It's a city with a population of over 13 million! Yet we see hardly anybody by episode 3. And by episode 4 the city is a ghost town. That simply does not make sense.

And now they've moved the production to Vancouver which means we'll get a ton of interior shots which in turn means we'll get a ton of talking and naval gazing and interpersonal melodrama and angst. :rolleye0014:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
FTWD.jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I, too, thought that being set in L.A. it would be much better, but they really didn't utilize the setting very well at all. Where are all the people? It's a city with a population of over 13 million! Yet we see hardly anybody by episode 3. And by episode 4 the city is a ghost town. That simply does not make sense.

And now they've moved the production to Vancouver which means we'll get a ton of interior shots which in turn means we'll get a ton of talking and naval gazing and interpersonal melodrama and angst. :rolleye0014:

Whaaaa? Then Im out. Do you think I am going to watch something filmed in Vancouver which tries to pretend it is in LA? I mean...how do you even do that?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I love how the zombies insist Nick gets bathed before they will eat him. Even they have standards. :icon_lol:

Nick is just...that grunge look went out before it even became a thing. He just looks so filthy and grimy, even when he is clean. I makes me want to shower, just like I used to feel after watching Dr Rush on SGU. I would have to wash my face and hands on commercial breaks. :anim_59:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Travis needs to go for sure. As it is I'm not thrilled with Madison as the actress playing her fails to properly emote any convincing emotion. (Just killed my boss, ho hum. My neighbor is a zombie that killed a dog in my living room then had his brains blown out, ho hum. My backyard neighbor friend is a zombie and I should probably put her down, ho hum. Just had sex with Travis in a car, ho hum.) I'm sure they will keep the character of Madison though and probably make her the Rick Grimes of the show. They will also keep Nick because the writers -- who love the smell of their own farts -- think he's an interesting character full of dramatic appeal. :rolleye0014:

I also don't like the daughter, but I don't dislike her as much as I anticipated I would. The character could either be a whiny miserable failure or she could grow into a post-apocalyptic bad ass. We shall see.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Whaaaa? Then Im out. Do you think I am going to watch something filmed in Vancouver which tries to pretend it is in LA? I mean...how do you even do that?

It's ridiculous. This isn't a case of a film crew using Toronto in place of New York. It's a case of using a Canadian setting but trying to pass it off as a southern California desert climate. :rolleye0014:

L.A. is huge. It's spread out. Everyone knows this. It has recognizable sites, landscape and topography. It has freakin' palm trees and succulent plants everywhere. So they will have no choice but to do a ton of interior scenes and the exterior ones will no doubt be very tightly shot. We've seen this already with the last couple episodes. Only the pilot showed genuine shots of Los Angeles from what I recall. The rest of the episodes were nondescript and vague, including the street scenes. And the view of the neighborhood from the roof could easily have been done elsewhere.

So, yeah, suckage at it's finest. :icon_lol:

Last edited:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Nick is just...that grunge look went out before it even became a thing. He just looks so filthy and grimy, even when he is clean. I makes me want to shower, just like I used to feel after watching Dr Rush on SGU. I would have to wash my face and hands on commercial breaks. :anim_59:

I felt like puking when I saw them attempt to make Dr. Rush a sex symbol. If women find the greasy, long-haired, unwashed look sexy then I'm glad I'm gay because I just don't understand it.

Stargate-Universe_l.jpg%7Ec200
:smiley-015:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It's ridiculous. This isn't a case of a film crew using Toronto in place of New York. It's a case of using a Canadian setting but trying to pass it off as a southern Californian desert climate. :rolleye0014:

L.A. is huge. It's spread out. Everyone knows this. It has recognizable sites, landscape and topography. It has freakin' palm trees and succulent plants everywhere. So they will have no choice but to do a ton of interior scenes and the exterior ones will no doubt be very tightly shot. We've seen this already with the last couple episodes. Only the pilot showed genuine shots of Los Angeles from what I recall. The rest of the episodes were nondescript and vague, including the street scenes. And the view of the neighborhood from the roof could easily have been done elsewhere.

So, yeah, suckage at it's finest. :icon_lol:

Well, I recognize the area they are in as East Los Angeles. You could catch glimpses of the skyline in the background which I recognize. Also in the first and second episodes the neighborhood where the girl's black boyfriend (who died) lived was Baldwin Hills. I am dredging up scenes from Vancouver in my mind and wondering just where in Vancouver is like Los Angeles, and I am not seeing it. We are not a forest city. Even in Big Bear and our mountain areas, we have pines and not elm and maple and birch trees. Why would anyone leave the city for the desert in an apocalypse? The food stores and water reservoirs and tools and abandoned pawn shops and gun shops are loaded with weapons and ammo. There are going to be more survivors in the city than in the desert.