Fear the Festering Turd (aka Fear The Walking Dead)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Episode 3 was the worst of all. I do not understand Travis. At every opportunity, he keeps saying "It will get better now". IT WON'T. It's spreading and nobody knows what it is yet. He stood there talking to his wife who was going to put her zombied neighbor Clara (?) out of her misery with a hammer, telling her how she could still be alive in there somehow. :confused0006: HUH? Didnt we see his other neighbor munch his dog and have to be shot TWICE in the face with a shotgun?

:facepalm: :smiley-laughing021:

This show is not as gory as TWD, and there is not much of a fun factor at all. Very serious and dark...VERY Romero. Much more so than the caricatures of The Walking Dead. And this might work because none of these characters are the center of the show. Rick Grimes was NEVER going to die. In this, everyone can die. Nick is probably going to last because they are developing his character. But why? I want him to get munched. Alicia the daughter is arrogant and bitchy. Munch her too. Travis is too hopeful. Maybe he can just ask the zombies not to bite? :facepalm:

Still, I like this show for what it is. I find it entertaining because it makes me squirm like most horror movies do, and it reminds me a lot of how The Night of the Living Dead felt. You may all beat me up now...:replicatoranime01:

View attachment 31632

I watched all 3 eps yesterday

I do like it better the TWD but thats a low bar....

I did I miss it? Did anyone discuss how it started?

I mean in our world we would get news reports like "Police are baffled how a man attacking ppl resisted their gunshots and refused to go down until he was shot in the head. Authorities will not confirm if this incident is related to other recent events"

or something like that

And does the disease actually "spread"--it doesn't take down someone like say the flu or anthrax-you don't go "walker" until you die of some other reason (and getting bit by a walker is another reason because we know the disease is in everyone)

And why oh why does no one in this show or TWD use the word "zombie"?!

I mean it is a very common word in today's America-there is the pop culture zombie and the older voodoo zombie for those who have been under a rock...why insist on not using that word?

This hit me (again) when the were looking at the neighbor lady (they call her Su-Su her name was Susan) and the blonde and tree hugger Travis said "what is she?" Duh!!!If this is supposed to be set in America of today I think the VERY FIRST descriptive word to come to mind would be ZOMBIE!

-------------------------And I do not see enough ppl being killed to allow the walkers to reach a level to where control will be lost.The "secret" should be out by now "if any one dies they will re animate so SOP is now sever the brain stem of all dead regardless of COD"

apocalypse over

but, i am sure we will see some mass casualty event that explains the creation of enough walkers

i am also sure it will be blamed on the military--how original

so with that I see how Atlanta was lost

we saw ATL being bombed/strafed

then in last season of twd-in the atl cops run hospital arc-the head cop described to Beth how she thought control was lost

survivors were sent to certain safe areas and it seems that the military bombed the wrong area-thus creating thousands of walkers in the process

i am guessing we will see the same here

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I watched all 3 eps yesterday

I do like it better the TWD but thats a low bar....

My feelings exactly. :)

I did I miss it? Did anyone discuss how it started?

I mean in our world we would get news reports like "Police are baffled how a man attacking ppl resisted their gunshots and refused to go down until he was shot in the head. Authorities will not confirm if this incident is related to other recent events"

or something like that

The way they showed it, this "thing" just came out of nowhere. But it was mentioned that 5 other states had reported incidents. I loved the scene on the freeway. Seemed very "realistic". I like the way they build terror and tension in this spinoff. They never put suggestions in our heads about how or why it is happening. That is a good strategy IMO.

And does the disease actually "spread"--it doesn't take down someone like say the flu or anthrax-you don't go "walker" until you die of some other reason (and getting bit by a walker is another reason because we know the disease is in everyone)

And why oh why does no one in this show or TWD use the word "zombie"?!

I think it is some kind of virus spread somehow, but we dont know anything yet. It looks like if you die, you turn whether you have been bitten or not. I think that they will continue to not use the word zombie (or walker) just because it has been done to death. :)

I mean it is a very common word in today's America-there is the pop culture zombie and the older voodoo zombie for those who have been under a rock...why insist on not using that word?

Perhaps because that is what is expected? Not a bad strategy...

This hit me (again) when the were looking at the neighbor lady (they call her Su-Su her name was Susan) and the blonde and tree hugger Travis said "what is she?" Duh!!!If this is supposed to be set in America of today I think the VERY FIRST descriptive word to come to mind would be ZOMBIE!

-------------------------And I do not see enough ppl being killed to allow the walkers to reach a level to where control will be lost.The "secret" should be out by now "if any one dies they will re animate so SOP is now sever the brain stem of all dead regardless of COD"

apocalypse over

but, i am sure we will see some mass casualty event that explains the creation of enough walkers

i am also sure it will be blamed on the military--how original

so with that I see how Atlanta was lost

we saw ATL being bombed/strafed

then in last season of twd-in the atl cops run hospital arc-the head cop described to Beth how she thought control was lost

survivors were sent to certain safe areas and it seems that the military bombed the wrong area-thus creating thousands of walkers in the process

i am guessing we will see the same here

I do not get why they are not showing more of what is going on in the media or on the internet, since it is obvious that martial law has been declared and this crisis has reached emergency proportions. But I like this show better than TWD, even though both are mediocre. :) Whew...I thought I was going to be alone in this!

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
:) Whew...I thought I was going to be alone in this!

Hey--we do agree on some things....:shep_wave2:

I am thinking..getting the feel that this show is "better" because the situations depicted are a bit more "public" instead of all of the intense,interpersonal small group drama of TWD

Hopefully they keep this show in a manner that it serves as a type of manual of sorts about the hows and whys and whens of the outbreak, something that gives fact and context to what we see in TWD

If they get to a point where they reach the desert and hole up in a cow barn out in Barstow...I'm out....

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Hey--we do agree on some things....:shep_wave2:

I am thinking..getting the feel that this show is "better" because the situations depicted are a bit more "public" instead of all of the intense,interpersonal small group drama of TWD

Hopefully they keep this show in a manner that it serves as a type of manual of sorts about the hows and whys and whens of the outbreak, something that gives fact and context to what we see in TWD

If they get to a point where they reach the desert and hole up in a cow barn out in Barstow...I'm out....

BINGO. It did not seem like that big of a deal to survive the zombie apocalypse in the rural Georgia countryside. That would be downright EASY as compared to a zombie apocalypse in Los Angeles or New York or even Dallas. But like you said, if they take this out of the city and play it out in "the desert", that will shove me right out the door.

Last edited:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Sorry but I'm not buying that this is what would happen in a city of over 13 million people. That's pretty much all I've got to say about tonight's episode.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
No....really?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Really. :moody:

(I can suspend my disbelief for vampires and zombies, etc., but it's impossible to suspend it when it comes to a lack of common sense shown by the characters. How could they not know sht was going down right outside their neighborhood? That makes no sense. Millions of people just "disappear" overnight but no one in the Lameville neighborhood of Los Angeles happened to notice? M'kay. :rolleye0014:)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Sorry but I'm not buying that this is what would happen in a city of over 13 million people. That's pretty much all I've got to say about tonight's episode.

No spoilers yet! I have not seen it. :)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Not a spoiler but a prediction: Tobias!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I know.

And lest we forget it will never occur to anyone in the city to band together and secure an area of a few blocks, which if carefully chosen would not be hard to do.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
How does an entire neighborhood remain oblivious to the ceaseless rifle fire going on just a few blocks away? How do they not notice that a fence is being erected around their neighborhood?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
They should have erected the fence themselves then formed gangs and carefully scoured the whole neighborhood and terminated any walkers they found.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
They should have erected the fence themselves then formed gangs and carefully scoured the whole neighborhood and terminated any walkers they found.

They writers should have written a more detailed and believable "descent into madness". Instead we get sweet zombie Susan plugged in the head as the NG arrives and suddenly it's 9 days later with no explanation of how things went down. Why did they drop in to this specific neighborhood? Why didn't the folks in the neighborhood notice the world falling apart just a few blocks away? Why didn't the folks in the neighborhood notice the NG terminating scores of people just a few blocks away? Why didn't the folks in the neighborhood notice that the NG was packing up scores of people in the surrounding area and busing them away?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

I have not seen this, but giving it some thought, most people would secure areas and clear those areas of zeds and then cooperate to defend it. Just about every subterranean parking structure in the city can hold hundreds of people, they have running water and drainage and power and are easily defended. Not to mention malls, skyscrapers, banks, police stations, synagogues, hospitals, etc etc etc. The threat would be people getting sick and turning while inside the compound. Most every decent multi-unit apartment building is secured by a gate, plus electric doors.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I know. Shopping malls for example would be natural fortresses because all you have to do is barricade the entrances. Then you have a large place with supplies already in it that the zeds cannot get into.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I know. Shopping malls for example would be natural fortresses because all you have to do is barricade the entrances. Then you have a large place with supplies already in it that the zeds cannot get into.

Even the jails and prisons! :) The entire perimeters of Bel Air and Holmby Hills, Trousdale Estates and Mountaingate along with many others are walled. The new Getty Museum would make an excellent fortress. One way in, and lighted walls all the way around which are a minimum of 20 feet tall.

E-95525a.jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Really. :moody:

(I can suspend my disbelief for vampires and zombies, etc., but it's impossible to suspend it when it comes to a lack of common sense shown by the characters. How could they not know sht was going down right outside their neighborhood? That makes no sense. Millions of people just "disappear" overnight but no one in the Lameville neighborhood of Los Angeles happened to notice? M'kay. :rolleye0014:)

yes, this and so much more!

they would have heard the gunshots! all those dead walkers and other non infected--thats a lot of rounds!

for being within walking distance of the fence-they had to have heard it

and

i have said it before-but unless there is a massive mass casualty producing event THERE IS NO WAY the walkers achieve a mass large enough to take over a block let alone a city

---------------------

as for this specific ep- i have watched eps of TWD that made far more sense then it

why should we care about a kids drug addiction? I mean when we saw him vamping sick dudes morphine-I could see it as important if it caused the old guy to die and turn-but no--it was "exit,stage right" for that potential zombie--and the druggie for that matter

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I have not seen this, but giving it some thought, most people would secure areas and clear those areas of zeds and then cooperate to defend it. Just about every subterranean parking structure in the city can hold hundreds of people, they have running water and drainage and power and are easily defended. Not to mention malls, skyscrapers, banks, police stations, synagogues, hospitals, etc etc etc. The threat would be people getting sick and turning while inside the compound. Most every decent multi-unit apartment building is secured by a gate, plus electric doors.

You need to see this one since you live in L.A. and will have the best perspective on the logistics of the situation. To me it just doesn't make sense due to the amount of people in Los Angeles.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The Stormtroopers have raided my torrent source for TV shows, so I had to look elsewhere for episode 4 of FTWD. I just downloaded it and am getting ready to watch it. Back after the episode!