Cat Lovers Thread

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
This thread is making me miss my cats something awful. :(

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This thread is making me miss my cats something awful. :(

Get one or two. :) Siete seems almost magical to me now.:icon10: Ever since I noticed the extra toes and counted them at least 10 times with my hands, it seems weird. And I never knew what type of cat he was except that his former owner knew that his mother was Persian. His size and temperament was unlike a Persian and his look is classic Maine Coon. Here is Siete, the Alpha cat and my favorite. He looks like a king on that pillow!

20121013_124943.jpg

I have been reading up on the Maine Coon here: http://www.maine-coon-cat-nation.com and here is an example of a full blooded Maine Coon with tuxedo markings like Siete. The usual coloring is brown and tan and black tabby:

oliver312-4.jpg

Why not get a couple of cats? :)

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Get one or two. :) Siete seems almost magical to me now.:icon10: Ever since I noticed the extra toes and counted them at least 10 times with my hands, it seems weird. And I never knew what type of cat he was except that his former owner knew that his mother was Persian. His size and temperament was unlike a Persian and his look is classic Maine Coon. Here is Siete, the Alpha cat and my favorite. He looks like a king on that pillow!

View attachment 7657

I have been reading up on the Maine Coon here: http://www.maine-coon-cat-nation.com and here is an example of a full blooded Maine Coon with tuxedo markings like Siete. The usual coloring is brown and tan and black tabby:

View attachment 7658

Why not get a couple of cats? :)

No pets allowed in many of the buildings in this area. :(

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
OMG, I have been sorting through dozens of cat toys and things to keep my boys occupied during the day when I am at work, and there are some clear winners here.

#1) Wand teasers - These are cat toys which require you to play with your cat in an interactive way. The wand allows you to move the teaser around in any way possible, and cats find them irresistable. At least Siete does. He bats at it and chases it like it was a bird, and I let him "kill" it. When he loosens his 7-toed grip on the feathered teaser, I start all over again. :) Great for exercise of the cat and fun to do. They look like this:

179294.jpg

#2) Cat video - Thats right, there are movies for cats! I got these Mewvies for Cats here: http://www.mewvie.com/ and here is a video of cats watching the video. My cats both LOVE the videos, and here is a YouTube clip showing their reactions to them. The music in the video is not there, in real life it is sounds of birds, chipmunks, mice, etc. My cats reacted to the video just like they do in this clip:

There are 4 in the series and I bought two of them. They have gone nuts over them, jumping at the screen and going behind it to see where the birds or the squirrels went. :happy0007:

#3) Turbo Track Ball cat toy - Dante's favorite, I hear that ball going in the track late at night, then hear him scratching the scratch surface in the middle of the toy. It comes with catnip which you sprinkle in the middle (cardboard scratcher). He plays with it for hours. It looks like this:

Bergan-Turbo-Track-Cat-Toy_380.jpg

#4) Catnip mice. This particular one squeaks when the cat bats at him. He is filled with catnip. The squeak is very realistic and the cats "hunt" them. I have some much smaller ones, and Dante brought me his "kill" the first night I put them out, and dropped it at my feet. Awwww! Better than a real dead mouse. Cats do this to give a gift to their cat clan.

211153497.jpg

I just wanted to share these tips for anyone who already doesnt know about them. Catnip is a MUST. You need to get premium catnip which is already dried. The live catnip plant I have provided them will get rubbed against a bit, but they don't go nuts over it like they do the dried stuff. I am glad I got two catnip-responsive cats. about 50% of cats do not respond to it. Cats, as I have found, can be VERY happy indoors. Plants, hiding spaces, empty shopping bags (cut handles off of them if they have them), or cardboard boxes on their side make great cat exploring spots. The trick is to move them around every day. Open cabinets work too, as long as you do not have things you you want to keep free of cat hair. My cats sometimes sleep in those cabinets. I have to collect the bags and boxes all up when I get home, but knowing that they have been playing in them while I was gone is a good feeling. I can tell because they are in corners, on their side, or torn up. :)

Cat grass is EASY to grow. 4 days and you have a grass lawn in a pot. The cats will eat some every single day if it is provided, and is great for their digestion. I have several pots of it growing around the place now. :) Just wanted to share.

Last edited:

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
I would suggest de-clawing your cat before you play it Mewvies. :p

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I would suggest de-clawing your cat before you play it Mewvies. :p

:icon_e_surprised: NEVER de-claw a cat! That is like cutting a circumcision a bit too close! I get the reason, though. :) Fortunately, my screen is not scratchable, and the TV sits high ehough so they cant actually get at it easily. But when I first played the video, Siete lunged at the screen to catch the squirrel that was on it and ended up on the floor confused. He went behind the screen several times to see where it went. :) The YouTube video shows the cats right up on the screen. I may buy them their own monitor and put it down low where they can get at it.

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
dude you are way overthinking your cat ownership and is imo bordering on you becoming a crazy cat lady....

SciphonicStranger

dude you are way overthinking your cat ownership and is imo bordering on you becoming a crazy cat lady....

:lol:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Im a new cat owner! I never owned two cats before, and the original cat I had many years ago was indoor/outdoor. This time I am 100% responsible for them and I want them to be happy. :) I love living creatures. I also have fish. Nothing more tragic than a fish die-off, and I do not want to come home to a dead cat. Its just me and the cats right now, and I am taking good care of them. Not crazy at all. I go to work every day, and these two guys are stuck in my apartment for 8+ hours until I get home. If I was a cat, I would want a human like me. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

This thread says clearly for cat lovers. Pretty simple to explain the content. :) Im not feeling the least bit guilty about my love for these two cats. :anim_59: I love people like that too. Cat ladies dont interact with people much, they think they are a cat too. And they have like, 10 dirty litterboxes and their homes smell like cat piss. They have cat-shaped soaps and candles, cat themed towels and washcloths, etc. Im just a responsible pet owner. Nothing crazy about that. They make me happy!

OMNI

all good just dont overthink it and start treating them like people/children they are animals afterall.

SciphonicStranger

This thread says clearly for cat lovers. Pretty simple to explain the content. :) Im not feeling the least bit guilty about my love for these two cats. :anim_59: I love people like that too. Cat ladies dont interact with people much, they think they are a cat too. And they have like, 10 dirty litterboxes and their homes smell like cat piss. They have cat-shaped soaps and candles, cat themed towels and washcloths, etc. Im just a responsible pet owner. Nothing crazy about that. They make me happy!

You do seem to have built your two felines a little cat Disney Land hence my LOL. OMNI may be on to something... :icon10:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
all good just dont overthink it and start treating them like people/children they are animals afterall.

So, I should not buy them clothes and leave my worldly possessions to them in my will? :shep_lol:

Nah, I am not like that. But somebody I know very well puts clothes on her dog and that just pisses me off to no end! She claims the dog "needs her sweater", and the dog has a party dress (its a female dog). That is just too out there to me. No animal needs clothes. Also, people who push their dogs around in strollers are way out there to me. I refused to walk her dog while it was dressed up. The dog is covered in fur for chrissakes!

lady_maneth

Transmural feline
Normally, I'd agree with you. But I'd advocate a coat for a short-haired small dog in very cold weather (approaching freezer temperatures). Just because it's -18 C / 0 F doesn't mean your dog won't need its standard number of walks per day.

My parents' cats are indoor cats, except that they're used to a leash so they can be taken outdoors safely. Of course, they'll go where they want to.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Normally, I'd agree with you. But I'd advocate a coat for a short-haired small dog in very cold weather (approaching freezer temperatures). Just because it's -18 C / 0 F doesn't mean your dog won't need its standard number of walks per day.

My parents' cats are indoor cats, except that they're used to a leash so they can be taken outdoors safely. Of course, they'll go where they want to.

A dog that cannot withstand the cold whilst covered in fur is not a dog to own IMO. Like the Sphinx cat, such animals were never meant to exist in large numbers. Clothes, as much as us humans love them, are artificial contrivances. After millenia of wearing them, now we NEED them to brave the weather in certain areas. But to have to buy them for a pet is just a bit much IMO. In the case of indoor cats or dogs, we are placing them essentially in a prison, since they are meant to live outdoors. Making that prison more like the outdoors is not as out there. I know certain breeds of dog need extra warmth when they are kept in areas where it gets very cold, but then the question arises about the choice of breed in those environments. Just an opinion! I think clothes look silly on any animal.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
A dog that cannot withstand the cold whilst covered in fur is not a dog to own IMO. Like the Sphinx cat, such animals were never meant to exist in large numbers. Clothes, as much as us humans love them, are artificial contrivances. After millenia of wearing them, now we NEED them to brave the weather in certain areas. But to have to buy them for a pet is just a bit much IMO. In the case of indoor cats or dogs, we are placing them essentially in a prison, since they are meant to live outdoors. Making that prison more like the outdoors is not as out there. I know certain breeds of dog need extra warmth when they are kept in areas where it gets very cold, but then the question arises about the choice of breed in those environments. Just an opinion! I think clothes look silly on any animal.

Yes, clothes on animals are silly (except at Christmas time when you're drunk and dress the dog up as Santa or an elf cuz that's some funny shit). As for outdoor cats, I don't hate them but I wish they'd stop using my backyard as a litter box!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yes, clothes on animals are silly (except at Christmas time when you're drunk and dress the dog up as Santa or an elf cuz that's some funny shit). As for outdoor cats, I don't hate them but I wish they'd stop using my backyard as a litter box!

In California, some truly enthusiastic orchid gardeners will actually set traps for cats! :(

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
In California, some truly enthusiastic orchid gardeners will actually set traps for cats! :(

We set "Have a heart" traps here for raccoons and possum and then release them down at the park. Cats invariably end up in them at times also. All you have to do is pop the door open and they run out. It's a safe way to get them to avoid those areas.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
We set "Have a heart" traps here for raccoons and possum and then release them down at the park. Cats invariably end up in them at times also. All you have to do is pop the door open and they run out. It's a safe way to get them to avoid those areas.

Thats what I mean. :) It is illegal to intentionally kill cats, and racoons in California. But not possums.

OMNI

normally, i'd agree with you. But i'd advocate a coat for a short-haired small dog in very cold weather (approaching freezer temperatures). Just because it's -18 c / 0 f doesn't mean your dog won't need its standard number of walks per day.

animal cruelty!