Cat Lovers Thread

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Like this?

LOL! The foaming is bizarre! I have not seen them go that nuts, but my catnip plant has no flowers yet. But they do rub on the plant and eat the leaves. they seem to react more strongly to the dried leaves than to the live ones. I have been pruning the plant and collecting the leaves

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
We were finally able to move into our new place yesterday. The dogs are curious and excited about everything while the cats are more cautious

I will be slowly and carefully introducing the cats to the idea that we have a balcony. Not too scary as even though we are on the 4th floor, there is a wide walkway on the second floor.

We'll see how the two of them settle in.

G

Graybrew1

My cats have just recently starting going outside. I never let them out. That choice was taken away from me. They seem happy, so that is good. I am not sure if I am happy about it or not.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
My cats have just recently starting going outside. I never let them out. That choice was taken away from me. They seem happy, so that is good. I am not sure if I am happy about it or not.

Indoor cats live longer. My big blue-eyed white guy lived nearly 23 years and the only reason he passed away was because we didn't catch a tumor he had in his mouth in time. Otherwise, he'd have lived another 10 years easily. Other than the tumor, the big guy was as healthy and active as a kitten. :(

G

Graybrew1

I have never had a cat live that long. I usually never let them outside either. Must be a Delaware thing. :icon_e_confused:

Bluce Ree

I have never had a cat live that long. I usually never let them outside either. Must be a Delaware thing. :icon_e_confused:

Feeding cats table food (or human food) can also shorten their lives. Diet plays a key role. Some cat foods are specially formulated to deliver the best nutrition possible to a cat. Then there are brands that are just junk food, like most brands found at the supermarket (meow mix, 9 lives, etc).

Iams, Science Diet and Hills are three examples of near perfect foods for cats and they have special formulas tailored to your cat's age and health needs (i.e. hypo allergenic, renal health, etc),

G

Graybrew1

My cats always eat cat food, not much table food. They also had good food from pet stores. I lost a few to cardiomyopathy when still young. I just lost a beloved one of 14 to liver cancer a couple of years ago. I have my favorite little man that is now going outside, he did not even come back yet today and I am terrified he will get hit by a car. :disturbed:

Bluce Ree

My cats always eat cat food, not much table food. They also had good food from pet stores. I lost a few to cardiomyopathy when still young. I just lost a beloved one of 14 to liver cancer a couple of years ago. I have my favorite little man that is now going outside, he did not even come back yet today and I am terrified he will get hit by a car. :disturbed:

It's never easy to lose a pet who's become part of the family. The age of 14 is about middle age for a cat. :(

My big blue-eyed guy was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy at age 6 after the docs found a heart murmur. He was given two heart medicines that he needed to take daily and a special diet to follow. In spite of that, the docs gave him no more than 2 years. He not only lived well beyond that but astonished the doctors at how healthy he was and at the fact his heart condition didn't deteriorate. It was as if we managed to freeze it. That's one of the reasons why it hurt so much when he died. In the end, it was a stupid tumor no one noticed in his mouth that got him and not the heart condition.

We all put so much emphasis on making sure his heart was ok with check ups every 6 months, including ultrasounds. He went 23 years without seeing any deterioration in his heart condition and the docs said, if not for the cancer, he would have lived another 10. Nobody noticed the small tumor in his mouth. :(

G

Graybrew1

I lost one after a week's stay in the vet hospital. She might have been okay but threw a blot clot in end. I also lost one kitten to feline leukemia before I knew it existed.

Bluce Ree

I lost one after a week's stay in the vet hospital. She might have been okay but threw a blot clot in end. I also lost one kitten to feline leukemia before I knew it existed.

I didn't know feline aids (FIV) existed until we rescued a cat with it almost 10 years ago. The cat was all beat up, thin and lost much of its fur when we found it. He recovered, grew a thick, fluffy coat and, last I heard, was living a healthy and happy life. We kept in touch by email for a few years. :)

G

Graybrew1

Mine was a kitten, too young to be able to fight it off according to the bewildered yet. I was a teen at the time. The worst death I ever saw of an animal. The liver cancer was pretty hard for two years, but nowhere near as gut-wrenching as the couple of months for that post lost kitty.

I had a similar experience with a Dog that got knocked up with a Dog with Parvo. My dog was given a 50/50 shot, all puppies were gone in a week. I think it cost 1500 dollars to save her, but she did live for many years after she recovered.

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
I didn't know feline aids (FIV) existed until we rescued a cat with it almost 10 years ago. The cat was all beat up, thin and lost much of its fur when we found it. He recovered, grew a thick, fluffy coat and, last I heard, was living a healthy and happy life. We kept in touch by email for a few years. :)

You are emailing a cat? :confused: :)

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
*sigh*

We kept in touch with the people who adopted it. :D

My brain is tired. Cut me some slack. :D

No problem bro! I was really going to ask for the email address next though. :D

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
We were finally able to move into our new place yesterday. The dogs are curious and excited about everything while the cats are more cautious

I will be slowly and carefully introducing the cats to the idea that we have a balcony. Not too scary as even though we are on the 4th floor, there is a wide walkway on the second floor.

We'll see how the two of them settle in.

I think dogs can instantly adapt to wherever its master is. ANYWHERE. But cats, well they have no master so they need to know every nook and cranny of their domain. And in the case where that domain was once outdoors and now is indoors, or restricted to a balcony, they will have to re-explore. I found they adjusted quickly and I had done my homework and gotten great advice here on this thread. :) The cats hide only when they hear loud sounds or people walking outside the door. At night, they explore and I leave cabinets open for them and hide treats in there. They have lots of catnip toys with bells on them, and I can hear them playing at night with them. :) They are showing happy tails. Yours will be fine!

Are they indoor/outdoor, or are they now all outdoor? There are risks with being outdoor, but in a quiet neighborhood with few strays, they will be fine as long as they are fixed.

Feeding cats table food (or human food) can also shorten their lives. Diet plays a key role. Some cat foods are specially formulated to deliver the best nutrition possible to a cat. Then there are brands that are just junk food, like most brands found at the supermarket (meow mix, 9 lives, etc).

Iams, Science Diet and Hills are three examples of near perfect foods for cats and they have special formulas tailored to your cat's age and health needs (i.e. hypo allergenic, renal health, etc),

Agreed. Also, most dry cat food has lots of grain in them which the cats would not eat naturally. There are grain free cat foods. That cat grass is a huge hit. I never knew how much of that cats eat when they have access to it. They literally go right to it, and they have been eating it faster than it is growing. I have started another pot of it. Here it is. Those three pots had grass twice that tall last week.

20121009_174014.jpg

They can have raw unseasoned tuna and cooked chicken too, from what I am reading. Also, the added benefit is NO FLEAS! I used to occasionally get a flea in my shorts from them lounging on my folded clothes (not fun). Now, they have no fleas, and my place is all wood and tile floors which is bad news for fleas. :) When I get the rugs, there will be no fleas. Here is Dante chillin on my bed. He was the outdoor cat and he is the coolest, sweetest, most affectionate cat I have known for a while. I would never have guessed. He feels VERY comfortable being an indoor cat. And he has never gone outside the litterbox after getting the second one. :)

20121007_214905.jpg

G

Graybrew1

IMG_20121009_212731_665.jpgIMG_20121009_211835_699.jpgLittle Man came back after 2 days. I want a micro-chip and tatoo on his damn head. I do not want him out ever again. I was terrified that he was hurt or worse.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Bluce Ree

View attachment 7634View attachment 7635Little Man came back after 2 days. I want a micro-chip and tatoo on his damn head. I do not want him out ever again. I was terrified that he was hurt or worse.

TOO CUTE!! He even looks like he's wearing adorable mittens. :)

Don't let him out anymore. He's an indoor cat. A nice open, screened window or a fenced balcony would make him more than happy.

G

Graybrew1

My thoughts exactly.
I just hope next time I leave, this will not happen again.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Update: Cats have adjusted, mostly.

Siete is no longer hiding and being skittish from the new sounds he hears in my new place. He is exploring, and I came home finding him sleeping in the center of my bed near Dante. This means he is no longer fighting with him and he is starting to feel relaxed. Dante is in cat heaven after being exiled to the outdoors for a year by his former owner. He sleeps snuggled next to me every night. Siete has started sleeping on my pillow just above my head again, after padding on it for at least 10 min. I have tossed his ratty old pillows away which I brought from the old place, and he is now padding on new pillows. :) Dante is padding on me now too. He never could do that when he was an outdoor cat. He seems very appreciative of his new home.

The real shocker for me was when I was playing with Siete and noticed his extra toes. He has 7 on each paw. SEVEN TOES! I called his former owner and she told me that it was why his name was Siete (which means 7 in Spanish). There is a Vet who lives in my building and she told me instantly that Siete was mostly a Maine Coon cat. These cats are known for their size and polydactylism and are sometimes called "Hemingway" cats. He is huge. Here is how he looks stretched out looking out of the window. His coat feels like a mink coat. He also has lots of hair in his ears and the "classic" Maine Coon head shape. But he is also mixed with Persian.

20121012_220628.jpg

Here is a shot of his mitten paw. You can see the extra toes on the left side of the paw. The thicker part of the mitten has 5 toes, and all but one have a claw. He also has 7 on his rear paws, but two of them are higher up on the foot.

20121012_220558.jpg

Dante has become very very relaxed and he is not skittish from the sounds at all because he lived outdoors for almost a year. Now, he finds the warmest, most comfortable places and chills out. Most of the time that warm place in snuggled up next to me or on my chest. He already finds the sun beams in the daytime. He has turned out to be a great cat. Here he is lounging. He is significantly smaller than Siete and is the Beta cat.

20121012_220905.jpg

Its kinda nice to be owned by two cats. :) A new experience for me. Thank you who gave me advice, it was really helpful.