Cat Lovers Thread

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
Thanks bro! I bought seeds and clay pots. The seeds are these: http://www.amazon.com/Cosmic-Pet-H8001-Kitty-Herbs/dp/B0002DGJ0A and they are supposed to grow into something like this when they are sprouted and growing:

View attachment 7611

The fountain I got them is way cool. Its a PetSmart fountain with a large reservoir:

View attachment 7612

The Amarkat cat tree looks EXACTLY like the picture on their website. Here it is in my new apartment:

View attachment 7613

Took about 20 min to assemble, and is very sturdy. I am far less worried about my boys now. :) They will be just fine.
yep then those will grow super fast.

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
Siete has been doing that, but I did not put it together that he was trying to get a contact high until I noticed he only jumps up on my desk when Im blazing. :) After Im done, he jumps down and chills out on the ottoman next to me. So now, I will share it with him! I dont know how catnip affects either cat yet, since I have not tried it on them. But neither cat seems too thrilled about the laser toy. :(
catnip can drive them crazy sort of like a crack fiend that you dangle crack infront of.

shame about the laser could be age related most younger cats ive played with love it.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
catnip can drive them crazy sort of like a crack fiend that you dangle crack infront of.

shame about the laser could be age related most younger cats ive played with love it.

Big day for them is Saturday. I will easily be able to get Siete in the box, but Dante is going to be different. :icon_e_confused: I will have to pick him up, take him in the house into the bathroom where the box will already be waiting for him. I will close the door and then try to get him in there. His previous owner says she was mauled by him when she tried that so I will have to be prepared with gloves and a thick jacket. I am more worried that he will feel I betrayed his trust. When I let him out at the new apartment, he will most likely hide for a while, but I think he will forgive me. Neither cat will be able to go outdoors unless I get harnesses for them.

Also, I have not started buying furniture yet. I have the bedroom almost finished and that is where the cat tree is. Still, I think they will be okay now and I wasn't so sure before. Thank you for your advice, I really appreciate it. BTW, I did not mention it in this thread, but I have a fish tank that the cats can watch too. :) I already know how to move that, so there will be no problem. I dont think the fish are going to run away or try to claw my eyes out. :laughing:

Illiterati:

I hope your move goes okay too! You have your own little zoo to move too. :)

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Big day for them is Saturday. I will easily be able to get Siete in the box, but Dante is going to be different. :icon_e_confused: I will have to pick him up, take him in the house into the bathroom where the box will already be waiting for him. I will close the door and then try to get him in there. His previous owner says she was mauled by him when she tried that so I will have to be prepared with gloves and a thick jacket. I am more worried that he will feel I betrayed his trust. When I let him out at the new apartment, he will most likely hide for a while, but I think he will forgive me. Neither cat will be able to go outdoors unless I get harnesses for them.

Also, I have not started buying furniture yet. I have the bedroom almost finished and that is where the cat tree is. Still, I think they will be okay now and I wasn't so sure before. Thank you for your advice, I really appreciate it. BTW, I did not mention it in this thread, but I have a fish tank that the cats can watch too. :) I already know how to move that, so there will be no problem. I dont think the fish are going to run away or try to claw my eyes out. :laughing:

Illiterati:

I hope your move goes okay too! You have your own little zoo to move too. :)

You should keep the carriers out for a while with the doors open so they get comfortable around them as they explore, maybe even drop some catnip inside. After your move, leave them out where they can play with them so they won't see the cages as a betrayal. :D

G

Graybrew1

Most cats love tuna and shrimp, and somebody's (:wink:) cat I know loves roast beef slices too.
I think some nice hunks of that on the new tree and around the new place (only where you will be comfortable with them connecting to snacking areas) should help a lot. Did they both use a litter box before? That is usually the hardest part of making an outdoor cat and indoor cat, if so they will be fine. Cats are very adaptable. As long as they feel loved they should be happy.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Im moved. Cats are still a bit disoriented.

Okay, Im moved as of Saturday night. I slept in my new apartment for the first time Saturday night and that is when I boxed the cats. That was more of an uneventful experience than I had prepared for. :) I figured the indoor cat Siete would be easy, and the outdoor cat Dante would be hard. It turned out that Siete was the hardest to get in the box, and when I put him in there he made the wierdest, loudest plaintive meow I have ever heard him make. I had sprayed the box and the room with Feliway (a calming cat pheromone), and after just a bit of a struggle, I got him in there. Dante, the outdoor cat, just purred when I picked him up and calmly walked him into the bathroom where the box was. I made sure to get Siete into the car so Dante would not hear him crying. I easily put Dante in the box and he just looked at me like "Why are you doing this to me?" His meow was also weird, loud and completely unlike any I have ever heard either of them make.I got them to the new place which is about 15 minutes away, talking to them, and spritzing Feliway inside the car. Got them in the new apartment and they immediately began taking in smells. They sort of sniff and open their mouths to take in the smells. Some were familiar, others were not. They did not take to the cat tree yet, but they immediately hid in the closet. I pet them both and they are not afraid of me, but they are sort of afraid of the place (which is basically empty right now until my new furniture arrives next weekend). The bedroom is partially furnished, and I am using a large inflatable bed until the bed arrives from iKea. Got my fish tank there, and the cat greens have sprouted. There is also a live catnip plant I got in there.

PROBLEMS!

Siete is a great cat. He is using the litterbox, and both cats love the fountain. Bluce was right, both cats came out of the closet when I went to bed and slept next to me snuggled against me. But Dante...he has peed on my bed twice, on my leather chair and he even pooped in the corner of the livingroom! :( I did some reading and I think I may know the problem: I have only ONE litterbox. :( I clean it every time it is used so it is nice and clean). The articles say there is a territorial element to litterboxes as well. I need not just two litterboxes, but maybe even 4, throughout the house. I will try that. I think this may be the problem, because Siete is taking occasional swats at Dante and he was the alpha cat. If this does not solve the problem though, I may not keep Dante. :( But he is such a sweet cat! I will give him a month. I am buying all new furniture and I really dont want Dante peeing on any of it. Siete even uses the scratching post on the cat tree, :)Any how, I am posting here from a client's home, and Im off today and tomorrow. Any suggestions on how do deal with this are welcome!

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Hey, which of us hasn't pooped in a corner of the living room at some point in our lives? :excitement:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Hey, which of us hasn't pooped in a corner of the living room at some point in our lives? :excitement:

Just....:facepalm: I kinda want to hear about how that happened...but nevermind! I think Siete has "marked" the litterbox as his. I will be buying at least three more today. :) But as far as adjusting to indoors, they seem to be doing fine. They like coming out of their hiding places after the sun goes down. They are following me around the place, which is to be expected. But that cat fountain was a big hit. They started drinking from it as soon as they saw it. The cat tree seems to not interest them, yet. :) Siete is using the sisal scratching posts which are part of the tree, which is a good sign.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Second litterbox did the trick. :) Boys are relaxing. Gray, thank you for the tuna advice! I put some in the houses in the cat tree and they went for it ;). But they act like they cant even see the laser toy. Can they see green? they love the cat greens. I put them under the cat tree and they both are nibbling it.

Its been a long time since I was owned by a cat. Now Im owned by two! Im now wondering what sort of social message I am communicating with being a two cat guy. The hottest women seem to be dog lovers. :( Now, they MUST like cats or at least not be allergic to them if I want them over. Everything is different.

Bluce Ree

Second litterbox did the trick. :) Boys are relaxing. Gray, thank you for the tuna advice! I put some in the houses in the cat tree and they went for it ;). But they act like they cant even see the laser toy. Can they see green? they love the cat greens. I put them under the cat tree and they both are nibbling it.

Its been a long time since I was owned by a cat. Now Im owned by two! Im now wondering what sort of social message I am communicating with being a two cat guy. The hottest women seem to be dog lovers. :( Now, they MUST like cats or at least not be allergic to them if I want them over. Everything is different.

You should come spend a week or two in South Florida. Heck, even New York or Montreal. It'll change that perception quick.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Good to know...but I live in South California :( Its still all good, as I have been throwing the cat vibe out there to some women just to see what they think of the idea and there were no smirks or eyerolls. :). I think it is a different type of woman that likes cats and especially likes guys who like cats too. :).

This place I took is a step down from what I am used to in terms of amenities, but at least there is a pool and I have a private garage I can lock and store stuff in. But the necessity for the building to be cat friendly and not smoke-free sort of dictated my choice. Im still close to the beach (walking distance is about 4 blocks), but no more ocean view. :( I can afford it, but why do it? I found that when I had it, I only used it occasionally, and I was gone most days except the weekend. Nothing preventing me from walking to the beach and setting up on the sand for the weekend crave for the beach. Also, that view was adding about $700 to the comparable rent for a unit that size. I am paying a full $700 less for a much larger place, and I am making a lot more money than before so that means I can save. :)

I was worried about the cats but they seem to be doing just fine. They like to come out at night and sleep during the day. The two litterboxes solved the problem with Dante, and he and Siete are both using the litterboxes and not peeing in my bed or elsewhere or pooping anywhere in the house. What a relief The smell of cat piss is not pleasant. One could not tell I had a cat right now, since I am just as picky about their litterboxes being clean as the cats are. I use ziplock backs to get the clumps which means I can clean it a few times and put each bag in a larger trash bag before having to empty it, and there is no smell.

Thanks again for all the advice given in this thread :). I will be settled in here with my furniture and internet and such in about a week. Then, back to the business of GateFans and the new forums and science fiction and all that jazz. :)

Bluce Ree

Good to know...but I live in South California :( Its still all good, as I have been throwing the cat vibe out there to some women just to see what they think of the idea and there were no smirks or eyerolls. :). I think it is a different type of woman that likes cats and especially likes guys who like cats too. :).

This place I took is a step down from what I am used to in terms of amenities, but at least there is a pool and I have a private garage I can lock and store stuff in. But the necessity for the building to be cat friendly and not smoke-free sort of dictated my choice. Im still close to the beach (walking distance is about 4 blocks), but no more ocean view. :( I can afford it, but why do it? I found that when I had it, I only used it occasionally, and I was gone most days except the weekend. Nothing preventing me from walking to the beach and setting up on the sand for the weekend crave for the beach. Also, that view was adding about $700 to the comparable rent for a unit that size. I am paying a full $700 less for a much larger place, and I am making a lot more money than before so that means I can save. :)

I was worried about the cats but they seem to be doing just fine. They like to come out at night and sleep during the day. The two litterboxes solved the problem with Dante, and he and Siete are both using the litterboxes and not peeing in my bed or elsewhere or pooping anywhere in the house. What a relief The smell of cat piss is not pleasant. One could not tell I had a cat right now, since I am just as picky about their litterboxes being clean as the cats are. I use ziplock backs to get the clumps which means I can clean it a few times and put each bag in a larger trash bag before having to empty it, and there is no smell.

Thanks again for all the advice given in this thread :) Shift+R improves the quality of this image. I will be settled in here with my furniture and internet and such in about a week. Then, back to the business of GateFans and the new forums and science fiction and all that jazz. :)

Cats are extremely clean. If ever one of them poos or pees anywhere outside the litterbox, it usually indicates a problem, usually a health issue if it keeps happening. If the two cats are used to each other, you shouldn't get any marking of territory, either.

We just signed a lease to a new place today and tomorrow come the moving people. The place feels like an upscale resort. Because the building is a little older, the units are much larger and our unit has an especially large terrace, which puts my current one to shame. Gorgeous garden view with a partial view on the intracoastal water. The master bedroom is HUGE and the walk-in closet is so damned big it has another closet IN the closet! The entire building is a little more upscale than I'm used to with mandatory valet and full service staff who do everything from picking up dry cleaning to bringing up your packages from your car, etc, all part of the building's amenities. The pool area is also huge and is very resort like with cabanas, an outdoor bar, gym etc. Full cable TV service with ALL premium channels & content is included as part of the building amenities. The best part is the rent is about $500 cheaper than where I was before with far more in terms of amenities and services and space.

If I like the building, I've got my eye on a top-floor condo they have for sale that's about 4500 sq ft with 5 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms, a spiral staircase to a private roof-top terrace that has a hot tub, shower, bar, full 350 degree view of Miami and the ocean, etc. It's actually two condos merged into a single unit. It's a steal at its current price but it's still out of my budget for this year. Maybe next year. Hell, I can dream, can't I? :D

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Cats are extremely clean. If ever one of them poos or pees anywhere outside the litterbox, it usually indicates a problem, usually a health issue if it keeps happening. If the two cats are used to each other, you shouldn't get any marking of territory, either.

We just signed a lease to a new place today and tomorrow come the moving people. The place feels like an upscale resort. Because the building is a little older, the units are much larger and our unit has an especially large terrace, which puts my current one to shame. Gorgeous garden view with a partial view on the intracoastal water. The master bedroom is HUGE and the walk-in closet is so damned big it has another closet IN the closet! The entire building is a little more upscale than I'm used to with mandatory valet and full service staff who do everything from picking up dry cleaning to bringing up your packages from your car, etc, all part of the building's amenities. The pool area is also huge and is very resort like with cabanas, an outdoor bar, gym etc. Full cable TV service with ALL premium channels & content is included as part of the building amenities. The best part is the rent is about $500 cheaper than where I was before with far more in terms of amenities and services and space.

If I like the building, I've got my eye on a top-floor condo they have for sale that's about 4500 sq ft with 5 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms, a spiral staircase to a private roof-top terrace that has a hot tub, shower, bar, full 350 degree view of Miami and the ocean, etc. It's actually two condos merged into a single unit. It's a steal at its current price but it's still out of my budget for this year. Maybe next year. Hell, I can dream, can't I? :D

If you can swing it and you have never splurged and treated yourself to a King's life (and can afford it), then DO IT! Even if for just a short time. The experience will satify something in you that you cant put your finger on. :) I did it a couple of times, once in California and once in New York. But now, I want to live more practically, even though right now I am making more money than I have ever made in my life. Im thinking I will save about 200K in the bank and then buy something to retire in. I have never used my Veteran's home loan guarantee so that will be easy. I just dont want the overhead right now! Im not even going to get a new Mercedes, since I own mine and after more than 20 years it still runs and looks great inside and out. :) Ill be the eccentric wealthy guy who is Average Joe. :D

Cats are showing happy tails now. :) For those who dont know what the cat happy tail is, its when the cat's tail is curved straight up or like a question mark.Like this:

happy-cat-tail.jpg

They seem just to need me to be there with them. They are getting along well, and now they are getting stoned on catnip BY THEMSELVES! They are actually eating leaves of the catnip plant, and they roll around and act crazy. :) Im so glad I have them now.

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
When cats eat catnip, do they get the munchies?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
When cats eat catnip, do they get the munchies?

YES! They certainly do. And not only that, the leaves of the catnip plant look like wide pot leaves...connection? :fat: They get all silly and crazy. They lick their paws and then roll on their backs and make weird noises. The older cat was pouncing on his own shadow when he was high on that stuff! The other cat ran so fast he tripped over his own feet and then just laid there on his back. LOL!

SciphonicStranger

YES! They certainly do. And not only that, the leaves of the catnip plant look like wide pot leaves...connection? :fat: They get all silly and crazy. They lick their paws and then roll on their backs and make weird noises. The older cat was pouncing on his own shadow when he was high on that stuff! The other cat ran so fast he tripped over his own feet and then just laid there on his back. LOL!

I just find it unfair that cats can legally feed their brains and we humans are left out. :( :tongue:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I just find it unfair that cats can legally feed their brains and we humans are left out. :( :tongue:

It depends on the state you live in. :) In my state it is perfectly legal and there are even stores you can go and choose from a wide variety of goodies. You have to register with the state, but after that you are good to go. You can have it in your car, in your home, and you can even grow it. So far, 17 states allow the legal use of pot. :) I use it medicinally, but occasionally I will use it for recreation.

Bluce Ree

If you can swing it and you have never splurged and treated yourself to a King's life (and can afford it), then DO IT! Even if for just a short time. The experience will satify something in you that you cant put your finger on. :) I did it a couple of times, once in California and once in New York. But now, I want to live more practically, even though right now I am making more money than I have ever made in my life. Im thinking I will save about 200K in the bank and then buy something to retire in. I have never used my Veteran's home loan guarantee so that will be easy. I just dont want the overhead right now! Im not even going to get a new Mercedes, since I own mine and after more than 20 years it still runs and looks great inside and out. :) Ill be the eccentric wealthy guy who is Average Joe. :D

Cats are showing happy tails now. :) For those who dont know what the cat happy tail is, its when the cat's tail is curved straight up or like a question mark.Like this:

View attachment 7624

They seem just to need me to be there with them. They are getting along well, and now they are getting stoned on catnip BY THEMSELVES! They are actually eating leaves of the catnip plant, and they roll around and act crazy. :) Im so glad I have them now.

Have you shared a stoning session together yet? What bizarre and intriguing subjects do stoned cats and humans discuss? :D

SciphonicStranger

Stoned%20Cat.jpg

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Like this?