Cat Lovers Thread

S

Stonelesscutter

if you have two cats it'd be best to have two litterboxes, especially if they're both male. Male cats tend to compete with eachother more. Preferably don't put the litterboxes right next to eachother. Four litterboxes seems overkill to me.

The same thing goes for food trays. It's best to feed the cats simultaneously at two different locations in the house. The alpha cat will probably follow you to the place where you feed the other one and prevent it from eating there, but then the other cat could eat the food you put in the first tray. Or you could pick up the alpha and take him away from the other one's tray so it could eat quietly.

To get a cat into a moving box just pick him up and put it in there. It's usually not a big deal, especially with cats that have never been put into one before. Some cats can get really freaked out if you try to put them in a box. If that's the case it is probably best to put it in backwards. I find that being in the box inside a moving vehicle freaks cats out more than simply being in the box.

Speaking of boxes, cats seem to love cardboard boxes. Especially if they appear to small for the cat to be able to fit in it. Try putting an empty shoebox open on the floor for example.

Cats love to chase things. Especially if they disappear around a corner or under a door. When they stalk a "prey" they will try to pounce on it the moment they think the prey will not be able to see them. They love strings. Try slowly pulling a string underneath a door.

When my cat was younger I used to roll little balls out of tinfoil. It always found the sound the tinfoil makes when it is rubbed over the floor attractive. I made sure I had the attention by moving it from side to side or in small circles and then suddenly shoved it either in the direction of the cat or away from the cat or sometimes even tossed it over the cat so it would jump and make a backflip. Usually it chased it frantically even to the point of slamming into a wall in order to follow it. This kind of play involves a lot of moving yourself around to retrieve the balls or to get to a good position to throw the balls from though.

I've seen cats go crazy about the laser pointer thing. It's not for all cats though. Every pointer I've seen had a red dot so perhaps green is simply not a cat favourite. Make sure it is a class 1 laser coz anything higher can cause mild to severe damage to living things especially where eyes are concerned.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
if you have two cats it'd be best to have two litterboxes, especially if they're both male. Male cats tend to compete with eachother more. Preferably don't put the litterboxes right next to eachother. Four litterboxes seems overkill to me.

I was hoping you would comment on this thread, since you are a cat lover too. :) I ended up only using 2 of the 4 I bought. They ARE right next to each other, but that does not seem to be a problem. I am trying to make Dante (the shy, hiding, skittish one) closer to Siete (the fun, playful, people-cat). Since the second box was set up, no accidents at all.

The same thing goes for food trays. It's best to feed the cats simultaneously at two different locations in the house. The alpha cat will probably follow you to the place where you feed the other one and prevent it from eating there, but then the other cat could eat the food you put in the first tray. Or you could pick up the alpha and take him away from the other one's tray so it could eat quietly.

I move their feeding places, but generally I try to keep them in the same room about 5 feet apart. They dont fight over food. But Dante sometimes eats the leftover snacks that Siete leaves. Siete likes to eat, then leave, then come back and snack some more. I feed them wet food (usually tuna) regularly as their main meal, but leave two full bowls of dry food for snacking. I also have fresh growing cat grass for them both all around the apartment.

To get a cat into a moving box just pick him up and put it in there. It's usually not a big deal, especially with cats that have never been put into one before. Some cats can get really freaked out if you try to put them in a box. If that's the case it is probably best to put it in backwards. I find that being in the box inside a moving vehicle freaks cats out more than simply being in the box.

I did it, and it was fine. :)

Speaking of boxes, cats seem to love cardboard boxes. Especially if they appear to small for the cat to be able to fit in it. Try putting an empty shoebox open on the floor for example.

Cats love to chase things. Especially if they disappear around a corner or under a door. When they stalk a "prey" they will try to pounce on it the moment they think the prey will not be able to see them. They love strings. Try slowly pulling a string underneath a door.

When my cat was younger I used to roll little balls out of tinfoil. It always found the sound the tinfoil makes when it is rubbed over the floor attractive. I made sure I had the attention by moving it from side to side or in small circles and then suddenly shoved it either in the direction of the cat or away from the cat or sometimes even tossed it over the cat so it would jump and make a backflip. Usually it chased it frantically even to the point of slamming into a wall in order to follow it. This kind of play involves a lot of moving yourself around to retrieve the balls or to get to a good position to throw the balls from though.

I've seen cats go crazy about the laser pointer thing. It's not for all cats though. Every pointer I've seen had a red dot so perhaps green is simply not a cat favourite. Make sure it is a class 1 laser coz anything higher can cause mild to severe damage to living things especially where eyes are concerned.

I really appreciate this advice, Stone! It has been more than 15 years since I was owned by a cat, and now I am owned by two and I love them a lot. Could you tell? :)

S

Stonelesscutter

Yes I could tell. ;)

Regarding the cat grass, I had a presown box once and it grew to about 8 inches in less than two weeks. Be aware that you might have to clean up some kitty puke every now and then.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yes I could tell. ;)

Regarding the cat grass, I had a presown box once and it grew to about 8 inches in less than two weeks. Be aware that you might have to clean up some kitty puke every now and then.

I expect the occasional hairballs. But the grass seems to be making them take MASSIVE dumps in those litterboxes. In one day, one fourth of the litter will be clumped! My cats mow that grass down fast. They love it, but I did my own sowing in my own planters

S

Stonelesscutter

I expect the occasional hairballs. But the grass seems to be making them take MASSIVE dumps in those litterboxes. In one day, one fourth of the litter will be clumped! My cats mow that grass sown fast. They love it, but I did my own sowing in my own planters

I thought cats only chewed on plants when they needed to "sand" their stomach.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykT24k4PZjM

021.jpg

:smiley-laughing024:

Where ya been man! Im glad to see you back here...missed your erudite commentary. :) Not a cat lover, eh?

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Au contraire, I AM a cat person, but it was way too easy not to pass up.

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

GREEEEN! :) I cant believe how those crazy ass Brits come up with this stuff! I know that I was thoroughly confused! I want that cat. :) All through it, he was like "as if". I wonder how they would act if I let my cat watch that clip! :anim_59:. Right now, they are addicted to the Mewvies. I have it on a schedule, and Siete has started taking his seat in front of the TV about a minute before it starts. Ill change the schedule and include this clip!

G

Graybrew1

When I was away my little got out during the hurricane His little butt did not last out there for two minutes and came hauling kitty behind back in. Usually you would need to lure him back with meat or tuna. Not this time. lol.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
When I was away my little got out during the hurricane His little butt did not last out there for two minutes and came hauling kitty behind back in. Usually you would need to lure him back with meat or tuna. Not this time. lol.

Awwwww. Im glad he is okay! Such a cute cat. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Been a while since I posted to this thread....many developments. A co-worker married a wife who is allergic to cats, and his cat of 8 years, Fisher, was going to be homeless and without his human. This cat is a very independent cat. He was never around other cats or even dogs, and was never outside. He is a beautiful cat with white/gray hair which turns black on the outside. Anyway, I adopted him. Thats right, I now have THREE cats. This is him:

2013-06-09 12.33.36.jpg

It took EIGHT MONTHS for me to get the other two cats to accept him and allow him to freely roam my apartment. Per the instructions of the vet, I isolated him in the bathroom for two weeks, allowing him out only when the other two cats were isolated in my bedroom, to explore the spaces. He had no territories because both the other cats were already sharing them. So, I moved things around and bought another large cat tree and two more litter boxes so that there would be four of them (the one in the bathroom is basically Fisher's, but now the other cats use it sometimes as well. Moving things and buying new furniture created new territories which I made sure Fisher had first access to.

This has been an experience. But the best thing was the discovery of microfiber. :) I had two leather couches in my living room which both Siete and Dante (my other two cats) had basically destroyed. When Fisher was let out of isolation, he also went for them, and both couches were shredded in a matter of weeks. I dumped both couches and opted for two microfiber chairs and a matching couch. Why microfiber? Because cats HATE it. They cannot get their claws into the weave of it and they cant use it to scratch. I have now had my microfiber couch and chairs for a couple of months and there are NO scratches anywhere on them. :) Fisher is laying across the top of the couch in that picture.

This is Siete my favorite Maine Coon big guy cat
(my TV addict cat)

siete.jpg

And this is Dante, my shy and affectionate cat

dante.jpg

I am officially a cat lady....:) :P

But there will be no more cats.....they are surprisingly easy to take care of though. The cleaning of litter boxes and fur with the Roomba keeps me on my toes and assures I will never be lazy, since the smell of uncleaned litter box is unacceptable for me. I am just as fastidious about cleanliness as the cats are, so this works out fine!

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Believe it or not this "headline" from The Onion has stuck in my head since 1998. (sorry bro but I just had to :anim_59:)

Like Boxes Of Shit In Your House? Get A Cat
NEWS IN PHOTOSISSUE 33•15 • Apr 22, 1998

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I love cats! I can deal with cleaning a single box of shit rather than having to go fishing around the house for lost turds or being forced to go out for a shit 3x a day in any weather. :)
--- merged: Jun 9, 2013 at 10:05 PM ---
Been a while since I posted to this thread....many developments. A co-worker married a wife who is allergic to cats, and his cat of 8 years, Fisher, was going to be homeless and without his human. This cat is a very independent cat. He was never around other cats or even dogs, and was never outside. He is a beautiful cat with white/gray hair which turns black on the outside. Anyway, I adopted him. Thats right, I now have THREE cats. This is him:

View attachment 28284

It took EIGHT MONTHS for me to get the other two cats to accept him and allow him to freely roam my apartment. Per the instructions of the vet, I isolated him in the bathroom for two weeks, allowing him out only when the other two cats were isolated in my bedroom, to explore the spaces. He had no territories because both the other cats were already sharing them. So, I moved things around and bought another large cat tree and two more litter boxes so that there would be four of them (the one in the bathroom is basically Fisher's, but now the other cats use it sometimes as well. Moving things and buying new furniture created new territories which I made sure Fisher had first access to.

This has been an experience. But the best thing was the discovery of microfiber. :) I had two leather couches in my living room which both Siete and Dante (my other two cats) had basically destroyed. When Fisher was let out of isolation, he also went for them, and both couches were shredded in a matter of weeks. I dumped both couches and opted for two microfiber chairs and a matching couch. Why microfiber? Because cats HATE it. They cannot get their claws into the weave of it and they cant use it to scratch. I have now had my microfiber couch and chairs for a couple of months and there are NO scratches anywhere on them. :) Fisher is laying across the top of the couch in that picture.

This is Siete my favorite Maine Coon big guy cat
(my TV addict cat)

View attachment 28285

And this is Dante, my shy and affectionate cat

View attachment 28286

I am officially a cat lady....:) :P

But there will be no more cats.....they are surprisingly easy to take care of though. The cleaning of litter boxes and fur with the Roomba keeps me on my toes and assures I will never be lazy, since the smell of uncleaned litter box is unacceptable for me. I am just as fastidious about cleanliness as the cats are, so this works out fine!

Bro, you are a man with a golden heart. I find this action touching and I have an incredible amount of respect for what you did. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I love cats! I can deal with cleaning a single box of shit rather than having to go fishing around the house for lost turds or being forced to go out for a shit 3x a day in any weather. :)
--- merged: Jun 9, 2013 at 10:05 PM ---

Bro, you are a man with a golden heart. I find this action touching and I have an incredible amount of respect for what you did. :)

I will ignore that cat hating curr who posted before you. :eusa_snooty: :P

These cats were not getting along. They were fighting so bad I thought of re-homing Fisher, but he has made so much progress I couldn't do it. Now, they allow him everywhere...they are not best friends like Siete and Dante are, but they are getting there. Perhaps another year? Fisher bit me several times, full bite skin puncturing bites. I had to learn that in the beginning, the cat will bite the smell of the other foreign cat without looking at who or what it is coming from. Siete even bit me slighly when I petted him after petting the other cat. The vet told me to wash my hands between the cats until a few weeks. All sorts of stuff like that. For two weeks, I had to erect a baby gate vertically to allow the cats to see each other without being able to fight or bite. Today, I have this:

2013-05-13 19.12.17.jpg

:joy: