Can anybody help me here?

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I actually almost DID rush him off to the vet. :) Seeing him standing there bleeding from his mouth, the bright red drops of it on my floors, and the blood on his fur just put me in a panic. I have been checking on him (just did that). No blood in mouth, no new blood on his fur. The clots could have formed inside his mouth behind the lips before I saw them. There are non in there now, gums look healthy and pink.

Could his own claws have cut his gums?
It is a possibility, does he have fairly sharp claws? If he is always at the scratching post, chances are they will be.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It is a possibility, does he have fairly sharp claws? If he is always at the scratching post, chances are they will be.

YES. And he has SEVEN of them.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
well, it would be somewhat rare for him to scratch his own mouth, but if he was grooming his paws, he may have caught his tongue on one of em...........

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
One other thing you can do if you are worried it might be something internal, check his poo for blood. It's highly unlikely given what you have said, but if you -think- it might be, it may be worth doing.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Sorry, I didn't see this thread until now. I'm not an expert on cats but I think the other guys are right in that it's not life-threatening. If Seite was in pain he would be acting very different than you described so hopefully it's just a broken blood vessel in his mouth or something benign like that.

And yes, those 24-hour vet "emergency rooms" are crazy expensive. I don't have a problem with them costing a little more than a regular vet practice but unfortunately they are all cynically geared towards financially raping worried pet owners. That to me is despicable. Don't get me wrong, I would never want a pet to be in pain, but the exorbitant fees for those vet places should definitely give one pause.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
One other thing you can do if you are worried it might be something internal, check his poo for blood. It's highly unlikely given what you have said, but if you -think- it might be, it may be worth doing.

I just checked on him...blood. Not horrible, but enough to be on his chin and for me to have to wipe it off. A little on the shelf too. I have been up all night, and I am afraid to go to sleep for fear I might find him dead in a pool of blood (hey, I worry!) Last night, I wiped up blood he had everywhere. he shook his head and droplets of it got on stuff which I cleaned up last night. But he is still bleeding from mouth! That was 12 hours ago. Blood is much much less.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

I did that when he went last night. Nothing. But this all started last night. He came to me to pad on my chest, and he was bleeding on me and this whole thing started. For four hours, no sign of blood, then just now he was bleeding? I have just cleaned up his chin and lips from blood. :(

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I did that when he went last night. Nothing. But this all started last night. He came to me to pad on my chest, and he was bleeding on me and this whole thing started. For four hours, no sign of blood, then just now he was bleeding? I have just cleaned up his chin and lips from blood. :(

Is he exhibiting any signs of pain? Does he allow you to check out his mouth?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Is he exhibiting any signs of pain? Does he allow you to check out his mouth?
No and yes. No sign of pain, and yes he lets me thoroughly check his mouth. He may have issues on one side.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Bleeding now like it was last night.:( Coming from right side of his mouth.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
No and yes. No sign of pain, and yes he lets me thoroughly check his mouth. He may have issues on one side.

I don't know anything about feline dental issues but I know that back when my wisdom teeth were coming in my gums would bleed a lot. It didn't hurt but it was really weird to experience. So I'd say it's a good sign that he's not in obvious pain.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
if he has scratched himself, and he keeps bumping it or whatever, it's just gonna take time to heal up enough to stop. The fact that you have had little clots makes me think he keeps bumping whatever he has done somehow. Check out the side you suspect, see if you can see any thin whitish lines that could indicate seperated skin on his jaw or check. If he lets you, try to get a but of warm salty water on a cotton bud or something similar and clean it off. Do you see blood -in- his mouth? or is it more in his whiskers and such?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
He is up and about now.
I don't know anything about feline dental issues but I know that back when my wisdom teeth were coming in my gums would bleed a lot. It didn't hurt but it was really weird to experience. So I'd say it's a good sign that he's not in obvious pain.

Right this moment, he is eating kibble from his food dish. Im not seeing blood. Why does it stop and start? Now, he is drinking water. Last night, his blood turned that water pink. His behavior is normal, it is just the blood.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
if he has scratched himself, and he keeps bumping it or whatever, it's just gonna take time to heal up enough to stop. The fact that you have had little clots makes me think he keeps bumping whatever he has done somehow. Check out the side you suspect, see if you can see any thin whitish lines that could indicate seperated skin on his jaw or check. If he lets you, try to get a but of warm salty water on a cotton bud or something similar and clean it off. Do you see blood -in- his mouth? or is it more in his whiskers and such?

The blood is inside his mouth. There is enough of it to run out both corners and the chin when he bleeds. Right now, he just drank water and none was in the water. Bleeding seems to have stopped.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
He will be fine :)
Check that right side, if you can. if there is no obvious sign of what it could be, Joe could be quite right and it may be something like an abcess under a tooth. Take him to the vet tomorrow if it keeps happening.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
He will be fine :)
Check that right side, if you can. if there is no obvious sign of what it could be, Joe could be quite right and it may be something like an abcess under a tooth. Take him to the vet tomorrow if it keeps happening.

I checked on him and there was a small puddle of blood where he was. Chin covered with blood.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Now after me cleaning him up and him eating some wet food and finding a new chill spot, he is laying down again. But I found blood in his mouth. Just wiped it away. I am a wreck over this. :(

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I checked on him and there was a small puddle of blood where he was. Chin covered with blood.

If he just ate he could have aggravated something in his mouth hence the renewed bleeding. How much blood is he losing?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Now after me cleaning him up and him eating some wet food and finding a new chill spot, he is laying down again. But I found blood in his mouth. Just wiped it away. I am a wreck over this. :(

Just keep in mind that he isn't in any obvious pain and that is a good sign.