Can anybody help me here?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
feel more human?

Yes, but I guess I have not had enough sleep! I am in a yawn loop with intervals of about every 20 seconds, and my body is shouting "go back to sleep!". So off to bed...

THANK YOU to everyone who commented and gave advice. I really really appreciate it.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Glad to hear you got it sorted out . Man can vets hose your wallet or what .

Yes, but this was only about $120.00. He needs full dental ($600.00), but the infection has to be cleared up first so what I paid for was amoxcillin for cats, and a steroid tablet (to shrink the opening left from the burst abscess). Those clots? Most likely mucus from the abscess. Now, his mouth looks clear and healthy.

Something else...he had been drooling more heavily over the past two months. It is very possible this was caused by the abscess, because the drooling has also stopped and when he grooms his hair does not stick together. I feel so bad I could not tell he was suffering. His saliva is clear and non sticky, which means his coat is silky and clean after he grooms. He may have been avoiding eating as much, which would have explained his loss of weight (not severe). He looks so much better!

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Cats -hide- their pain, basic hunter skills.
Don't feel bad, most people will never know what to look for, and the only reason I know is cause I ask the vet questions and he put me onto the various cat pain looks.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Don't feel bad, most people will never know what to look for, and the only reason I know is cause I ask the vet questions and he put me onto the various cat pain looks.

He is noticeably more perky. :) He is right next to me, grooming as I type this. His amoxillin dose is once every 12 hours for 10 days.

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
Indeed they do.

I had a cat fixed and brought her home. She was just laying on the bed with her chest going up and down and looked wiped out, so I called the vet that night. I told them that my cat needed some pain killers since she looked like she was in pain. They told me that cats have an extremely high tolerance for pain and if a cat shows pain, they are in serious agony.

I brought that cat in next day and it turned out her surgery had brought out her cardiomyopathy. She was in heart failure. There was nothing that could be done but provide her with lasik and hope for the best. She did not make it to her first birthday. :crying-028:I also had a kitten given to me for my 21rst birthday, she had feline leukemia, it was ugly but at first the vet and I could not figure out what was wrong with her, she hid the pain so well. I have had a ton of animals in my life, many cats, and one downside of being a pet owner is when your pets are sick or hurt. It's torture because life without a pet is not a full life for me, the older you get the more you have to face rough nights worried about your fur babies.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Indeed they do.

I had a cat fixed and brought her home. She was just laying on the bed with her chest going up and down and looked wiped out, so I called the vet that night. I told them that my cat needed some pain killers since she looked like she was in pain. They told me that cats have an extremely high tolerance for pain and if a cat shows pain, they are in serious agony.

I brought that cat in next day and it turned out her surgery had brought out her cardiomyopathy. She was in heart failure. There was nothing that could be done but provide her with lasik and hope for the best. She did not make it to her first birthday. :crying-028:I also had a kitten given to me for my 21rst birthday, she had feline leukemia, it was ugly but at first the vet and I could not figure out what was wrong with her, she hid the pain so well. I have had a ton of animals in my life, many cats, and one downside of being a pet owner is when your pets are sick or hurt. It's torture because life without a pet is not a full life for me, the older you get the more you have to face rough nights worried about your fur babies.

Im sorry about your other kitties. :(

I have three. :) But Siete is my favorite. If it werent for him, I would not own ANY cats. Dante was his best buddy, so I rescued them both. Then Fisher came a year later, when another friend married a woman who was allergic to cats, so Fisher was out. He was tough to integrate, but now he is part of the cat family. All live in peace.

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
I have had at least one cat since I was old enough to beg my mom for one. As I got older, I made sure to get two so they could keep each other company when I was at work. I am also the type of person that just can't not have one, so when I did lose a kitty in the past, I only wait about 2 days or so before I go to a shelter and save another life.

I don't think it is "replacing" a pet, for me, it is just a place that can provide a home for another animal and so I do so as quickly as possible. I have loved each and every pet I have ever had. I keep my pets for life too, it was killing me to have to give my Ex my pets but I know he will keep them for life too. Our cats now are country jumpers and wherever we live, they will go. It is so cute, they have their own little passports.