Breaking Bad

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
If someone were telling you to watch Oz (old HBO prison show), that might be a bit much. Every episode had someone getting boned up the ass or giving someone a blowjob in between shanking people. I had a hard time getting into that show but I did give it chance rather than just assume it's a show about prison rape, which was mostly what the show was about despite the critics' acclaim that it was more. :icon_lol:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You've nearly eliminated all good TV shows with your list of "I don't wanna".

Sons of Anarchy isn't a motorcycle show. Breaking Bad isn't a drug show. You're missing out on some really deep, underlying storytelling because you have a prejudiced against the subject matter, which is just one aspect of the show.

Sons, for example, isn't about riding bikes. In fact, they spend less time on their bikes than real bikers.

Breaking Bad isn't about the drug trade per se. It's about a dying man's desperate attempt to leave something for his family and how a simple high school chemistry teacher rises to legendary status by the seat of his pants as he sinks deeper into the life. We actually spend more time seeing Walt's brilliance than watching him cook meth. The man is a MacGyver at problem solving with a touch of Scarface-wannabe syndrome.

More good points....but I dont want to see meth being cooked. :( I dont want to get to know characters who (IMO) fall into the dark depths of "seediness". If I cant get past that, I cant get into the stories. The first few episodes of SOA highlighted the prison aspect of it, the Aryans (plenty of n-words), Mexicans and blacks, etc. The motorcycles fit perfectly with that culture, but I just cant get into it. I guess its not for everybody. :( But I am not ragging on either show since I have not seen them. To put it in perspective, I dont listen to rap and am completely uninterested in "artists" with names like 50cent, Lil Kim and Puffy. I know, Im square and stodgy, but its just me. Im not trying to force that on anyone. :) Im a conservative in most everything I do, stopping short of religion and prudish morality.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
If someone were telling you to watch Oz (old HBO prison show), that might be a bit much. Every episode had someone getting boned up the ass or giving someone a blowjob in between shanking people. I had a hard time getting into that show but I did give it chance rather than just assume it's a show about prison rape, which was mostly what the show was about despite the critics' acclaim that it was more. :icon_lol:

I actually watched quite a few episodes from that show. But the first prison rape I saw turned me off the show for good. I guess Im just a wuss. :cool:

Bluce Ree

More good points....but I dont want to see meth being cooked. :( I dont want to get to know characters who (IMO) fall into the dark depths of "seediness". If I cant get past that, I cant get into the stories. The first few episodes of SOA highlighted the prison aspect of it, the Aryans (plenty of n-words), Mexicans and blacks, etc. The motorcycles fit perfectly with that culture, but I just cant get into it. I guess its not for everybody. :( But I am not ragging on either show since I have not seen them. To put it in perspective, I dont listen to rap and am completely uninterested in "artists" with names like 50cent, Lil Kim and Puffy. I know, Im square and stodgy, but its just me. Im not trying to force that on anyone. :) Im a conservative in most everything I do, stopping short of religion and prudish morality.

Breaking Bad is a little slow in the first season but, if you manage to push through, you'll be hooked. I'm not into drugs or bikes. I live a pretty cushy lifestyle but there is so much one can identify with in these characters. Meth and bikes are just backdrops to the stories.

BB isn't Scarface. It's not episodes of crack heads and machine guns. We actually get almost none of that.

Dude, I've been trying to turn you onto Strike Back, which is a show right up your alley. It's a great show about an elite group of special ops soldiers. Even that show you won't look at for who knows what reason and it has no antiheroes, no drugs and no bikes. :icon_lol:

It's too bad you don't wanna give shows with antiheroes a shot because you'd probably like Banshee as well.

Last edited:

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
Also, I think it is VERY okay not to like seeing violence, rapes and drugs on TV. I do not feel much except peer pressure when it comes to this and to S.O.A. I totally get it that these shows are extremely popular with their audiences, and I get it that it is "gritty". But I just have no interest in motorcycles, prisons, gangs, rapes, murders, drugs, etc. Whether in drama or in real life, these are things and activities I have no curiosity about or interest in. So, its okay not to watch them if you dont want to.

Me too.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
LAME! rest in in AGONY breaking bad!

and WTF was that "go to AMC to thank us for allwoing you to Watch half an hour of comercials and overly drawn out slow camerapan scenes were no one says anything for 15minutes" at the end?? am i suposed to go on their fucking site and say thank you?? Christ.. they shouldve been thanking the audience not the other way round.

amc did make a good chunk of cash on those commercial spots-something like 32 million for a 30 second spot. quite absurd. hopefully they use it for another good show.

but i get the feeling it will get wasted for TWD, or hell on wheels

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
jawdrop*.. are you kidding me right now? thats EXACTLY what you are doing here.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
jawdrop*.. are you kidding me right now? thats EXACTLY what you are doing here.

Explain. There is nothing prudish about clean living (meaning clean as in hygiene and living crime-free). And I have not talked about "morality" of any sort. Lifestyles of any type are acceptable to me, as long as they are legal and do not harm others. Cooking meth, murdering rivals, raping inmates, etc...that is wrong to me, and it is wrong to the legal system. Not understanding your comment. Clarify?

I said before, I am not ragging on these shows or the people who watch them. Im not giving advice or passing judgement, I just said they are unappealing to me.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This article at Time pretty much sums up how I feel about shows like this. But in a nutshell, I find nothing wrong with people watching them, and on occasion I will watch an episode here and there to check things out like I did for S.O.A. and even Game of Thrones. These are two wildly popular and highly watch/rated shows which just dont appeal to me, the whining minority. :)

http://entertainment.time.com/2013/09/26/why-i-dont-watch-breaking-bad/

Obviously, in order to say anything serious or critical or truly thoughtful about the actual goings-on within a show, it’s necessary to watch it. But (especially as someone who writes about pop culture but is not a critic) that’s not necessary in order to think something that’s not so much about the show as it is show-adjacent. If you’re not trying to stay immune from spoilers or to have an actual opinion, it’s very possible to satisfy one’s curiosity about a cultural phenomenon without partaking.

Isnt chiding me for NOT liking these shows the same as somebody chiding people FOR watching them (which I am not doing here)? Its okay that some people like them and others dont.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
This article at Time pretty much sums up how I feel about shows like this. But in a nutshell, I find nothing wrong with people watching them, and on occasion I will watch an episode here and there to check things out like I did for S.O.A. and even Game of Thrones. These are two wildly popular and highly watch/rated shows which just dont appeal to me, the whining minority. :)

http://entertainment.time.com/2013/09/26/why-i-dont-watch-breaking-bad/

Isnt chiding me for NOT liking these shows the same as somebody chiding people FOR watching them (which I am not doing here)? Its okay that some people like them and others dont.

I would never 'chide' anyone for not watching a show JUST because they didn't watch it.

But your "lumping" of BB with other 'violent for violence sake's' shows/movies is what I am talking to.

Reminds me of a sociology prof I had who "parroted" a text author who wrote that MARRIED WITH CHILDREN,ROSEANNE and FORREST GUMP were all "examples of the American glorification of idiocy"

It was clear that the writer and the Prof never watched any of the shows. If they had they would have been able to make the distinction between those two "stupid for stupid's sake" TV shows and FORREST GUMP.

All I am trying to say (and I think BLUCE as well), is that with BB, one cannot just discard and "lump it" with violent shows just based on "face value" or be distracted by the plot devices of occasional violence and the meth trade.

If then, you find the plot of the show to be unsatisfying, then don't watch it. Just don't "Stratify" it with the other crap (again, I pick on the nuDredd film-all blood and gore just to watch it flow and splatter with no other meaning) that is out there.

:beckett_thanks: :fredflinstone:

Last edited:

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
why is still an Active topic? shows over cast and crew are gon let it die<!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I figured it out...its anti-heroes I dont like! Its why I didnt like Dexter, SGU, Baltar on the original Battlestar Galactica (and also on the new one), S.o.A, and Breaking Bad. Just a personal observation, but I realized it when I tried watching this show last night...even after having prepared to watch it, I couldn't make it past episode two. So, I switched to Sons of Anarchy and the same thing...turned off by the prison culture and racism and violence. Dexter, I had already sampled several times in several seasons. I realized that I hated the main characters in these shows because they represented the "anti-hero".

Just had to share why, even though I know I am in a minority of people who feel this way. I liked Backstep's ending the best!

Bluce Ree

I figured it out...its anti-heroes I dont like! Its why I didnt like Dexter, SGU, Baltar on the original Battlestar Galactica (and also on the new one), S.o.A, and Breaking Bad.

Just a personal observation, but I realized it when I tried watching this show last night...even after having prepared to watch it, I couldn't make it past episode two. So, I switched to Sons of Anarchy and the same thing...turned off by the prison culture and racism and violence. Dexter, I had already sampled several times in several seasons. I realized that I hated the main characters in these shows because they represented the "anti-hero".

Just had to share why, even though I know I am in a minority of people who feel this way. I liked Backstep's ending the best!

Baltar on the original BSG was not an anti-hero nor was he one in the new series. That show had no anti-hero.

SOA is not about racism or prison culture. In fact, they're NOT racists and have close ties to black and hispanic motorcycle clubs. The inside of a prison was visited three times, which were season 4 premiere, mid-season 5 when a main character died and a few episodes this season dealing with Clay and none of them even remotely qualified as "prison culture". They were minor elements to advance the story.

Dude, you should really watch these shows before you go off criticizing them without a clue and you need to watch them from the beginning, not catch a few minutes here and there mid-series. You're just turned off by prejudiced and assumption, nothing more.

SGU was just shit. It had nothing to do with anti-heroes.