Breaking Bad

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Baltar on the original BSG was not an anti-hero nor was he one in the new series. That show had no anti-hero.
Baltar in original BSG was a sellout asshole, no "heroics". NuBSG tried to make him more complex by giving him reasons for his actions, but they are so shallow that a toddler would be "safety approved". to swim in them.
Anti hero's are NOT selfish, and this gets lost in the whole "anti-hero" trend.

SOA is not about racism or prison culture. In fact, they're NOT racists and have close ties to black and hispanic motorcycle clubs. The inside of a prison was visited three times, which were season 4 premiere, mid-season 5 when a main character died and a few episodes this season dealing with Clay and none of them even remotely qualified as "prison culture". They were minor elements to advance the story.
Don't watch, no comment.

Dude, you should really watch these shows before you go off criticizing them without a clue and you need to watch them from the beginning, not catch a few minutes here and there mid-series. You're just turned off by prejudiced and assumption, nothing more.
No, really, no comment.
SGU was just shit. It had nothing to do with anti-heroes.
It tried via Rush, but as you did not give a shit about him, why care??

I know we rag on big booms and needless explosions and such, but sometimes you NEED them to make a story work, they are not ALL bad.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Baltar on the original BSG was not an anti-hero nor was he one in the new series. That show had no anti-hero.

SOA is not about racism or prison culture. In fact, they're NOT racists and have close ties to black and hispanic motorcycle clubs. The inside of a prison was visited three times, which were season 4 premiere, mid-season 5 when a main character died and a few episodes this season dealing with Clay and none of them even remotely qualified as "prison culture". They were minor elements to advance the story.

Dude, you should really watch these shows before you go off criticizing them without a clue and you need to watch them from the beginning, not catch a few minutes here and there mid-series. You're just turned off by prejudiced and assumption, nothing more.

He couldn't get past the "cover of the book" in these shows I suppose. With any of these, it takes more then a couple of episodes to get to the actual "meat" of the story. They are not stand alone episode series'.

Same with Breaking Bad

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Baltar in original BSG was a sellout asshole, no "heroics". NuBSG tried to make him more complex by giving him reasons for his actions, but they are so shallow that a toddler would be "safety approved". to swim in them.
Anti hero's are NOT selfish, and this gets lost in the whole "anti-hero" trend.

Don't watch, no comment.

No, really, no comment.

It tried via Rush, but as you did not give a shit about him, why care??

I know we rag on big booms and needless explosions and such, but sometimes you NEED them to make a story work, they are not ALL bad.

If SGU was nothing but Rush on the destiny having his 'flashbacks' and his 'Baltar like' interactions with ship created women, it would have been far more watchable.

IMO,Robert Carlyle was way under used in SGU-he was the only character that made even close to tolerable. When I rewatched it, his were the only scenes I wouldn't FF over.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
He couldn't get past the "cover of the book" in these shows I suppose. With any of these, it takes more then a couple of episodes to get to the actual "meat" of the story. They are not stand alone episode series'.

Same with Breaking Bad

It seemed odd that racism and prison culture was what he got from SOA given that the show's characters are multicultural and all we've seen of prison is a few main characters in isolation a handful of times over 6 seasons.

Oh! I know! Maybe he caught the bit about the IRA not wanting to do business with blacks in that 3 second dialogue a few episodes back. :icon_lol:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Baltar was an anti-hero in both series. He was a traitor to the humans of the colonies in both the old and the new series of BSG:

an·ti·he·ro
ˈantēˌhi(ə)rō,ˈantī-/
noun
noun: anti-hero
  1. 1.
    a central character in a story, movie, or drama who lacks conventional heroic attributes.

In the very first episode of S.o.A, the words "nigger"and "spic" were uttered several times, as well as Aryan Brotherhood. There was the whole prison thing going on, not my cuppa. I watched that episode and was turned off by it. Then I watched episode 4 and 5 hoping that it was different and it was still swirling around in the seedy levels of life. So, I am not clueless. The rest of the show may have been different, but I was no longer interested in continuing to watch. But you guys just have to understand that some people just dont like this sort of a show, and I am one of them. Im not ragging on any of you for watching it, but I just did not like what I saw.

Last edited:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Baltar was an anti-hero in both series. He was a traitor to the humans of the colonies in both the old and the new series of BSG:

an·ti·he·ro
ˈantēˌhi(ə)rō,ˈantī-/
noun
  1. 1.
    a central character in a story, movie, or drama who lacks conventional heroic attributes.
He is more just a straight Villain in BSG. in NuBSG they tried to explain his reasons for being a traitor and create some sympathy for him.
In the very first episode od S.o.A, the words "nigger"and "spic" were uttered several times, as well as Aryan Brotherhood. There was the whole prison thing going on, not my cuppa. I watched that episode and was turned off by it. Then I watched episode 4 and 5 hoping that it was different and it was still swirling around in the seedy levels of life. So, I am not clueless. The rest of the show may have been different, but I was no longer interested in continuing to watch. But you guys just have to understand that some people just dont like this sort of a show, and I am one of them. Im not ragging on any of you for watching it, but I just did not like what I saw.

Exactly.
I can appreciate the show being well crafted, but that in no way means I enjoy what the show is about (or, more accurately, the window dressings they are using to tell the story).
I think Michael Jackson was a talented artist, don't mean I like his music.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
He is more just a straight Villain in BSG. in NuBSG they tried to explain his reasons for being a traitor and create some sympathy for him.

Exactly.
I can appreciate the show being well crafted, but that in no way means I enjoy what the show is about (or, more accurately, the window dressings they are using to tell the story).
I think Michael Jackson was a talented artist, don't mean I like his music.

Yep, and not only that, I also totally get it that I am in the minority of people about this show. Breaking Bad and S.o.A were wildly popular with audiences. For many, Baltar was their favorite character in BSG. The bolded is the central reason why I like or dislike a show. The "trappings". There is absolutely NOTHING appealing to me about a prison, trailer park, biker club, ghetto, barrio, jail, junkyard, meth lab, etc..... If the characters are covered with tats and/or wear wife beaters or thuggish clothes and the women in the show are prostitutes/tramps/sluts/druggies, it doesnt matter how hot they are to me. It's what they represent that turns me off.

I dont care to hear the story about a serial killer, meth dealer, gangster (both organized and street), prostitutes, etc.

Bluce Ree

an·ti·he·ro
ˈantēˌhi(ə)rō,ˈantī-/
noun
  1. 1.

Tony Soprano - antihero
Walter White - antihero
Gordon Gecko - antihero
Robert De Niro in Heat - antihero

In these cases, they are the central character around whom the story revolves, lacking traditional heroic attributes but still manage to get fans to root for them in a sense.

They lack conventional positive attributes and exhibit traits such as selfishness, greed, lack of idealism and nobility, etc. while at the same time may exhibit admirable qualities such as power, strength, intelligence, resolve, etc. That is what makes a story featuring an antihero interesting and involving.

Baltar was a villain, not an anti-hero. In the NuBSG, he was just an idiot.

In the very first episode of S.o.A, the words "nigger"and "spic" were uttered several times, as well as Aryan Brotherhood. There was the whole prison thing going on, not my cuppa. I watched that episode and was turned off by it. Then I watched episode 4 and 5 hoping that it was different and it was still swirling around in the seedy levels of life. So, I am not clueless. The rest of the show may have been different, but I was no longer interested in continuing to watch. But you guys just have to understand that some people just dont like this sort of a show, and I am one of them. Im not ragging on any of you for watching it, but I just did not like what I saw.

They are elements that advance the story. Otto was in prison, who was pivotal to the story due to actions he took inside prison on behalf of the MC.

The Aryan Brotherhood storyline ended with them getting their asses kicked. None of the clubs associate with them. In season 6, a small group is found by the MC and killed (in a nutshell, there's more to the story).

The show also has some Latino and Black street gangs. This is a gritty show about gang life and organized crime but also about brotherhood, family, loyalty and betrayal.

These stories have a lot of realism built into the story telling. When you're dealing with criminal elements, you're definitely going to hear words like spic, wop, nigger, whatever. It doesn't mean the main characters are about that nor that it's prevalent in the story.

SOA grows on you. If you're gonna go into it with prejudices you will never enjoy it. All you're going to get out of it is some name calling a prison scene that somehow translates to the entire series for you and a bunch of asshole bikers.

That being said, it's absolutely fine that you don't like the series but describing it as a series filled with racism and prison culture is a false opinion based strictly on the impression of a couple episodes.

Bluce Ree

Yep, and not only that, I also totally get it that I am in the minority of people about this show. Breaking Bad and S.o.A were wildly popular with audiences. For many, Baltar was their favorite character in BSG. The bolded is the central reason why I like or dislike a show. The "trappings". There is absolutely NOTHING appealing to me about a prison, trailer park, biker club, ghetto, barrio, jail, junkyard, meth lab, etc..... If the characters are covered with tats and/or wear wife beaters or thuggish clothes and the women in the show are prostitutes/tramps/sluts/druggies, it doesnt matter how hot they are to me. It's what they represent that turns me off.

I dont care to hear the story about a serial killer, meth dealer, gangster (both organized and street), prostitutes, etc.

barney_03-1024x846.jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Tony Soprano - antihero
Walter White - antihero
Gordon Gecko - antihero
Robert De Niro in Heat - antihero

In these cases, they are the central character around whom the story revolves, lacking traditional heroic attributes but still manage to get fans to root for them in a sense.

They lack conventional positive attributes and exhibit traits such as selfishness, greed, lack of idealism and nobility, etc. while at the same time may exhibit admirable qualities such as power, strength, intelligence, resolve, etc. That is what makes a story featuring an antihero interesting and involving.

Baltar was a villain, not an anti-hero. In the NuBSG, he was just an idiot.

:anim_59: You are quite right about that. :) But at least I watched 1 and a half seasons of it.

They are elements that advance the story. Otto was in prison, who was pivotal to the story due to actions he took inside prison on behalf of the MC.

Perhaps, but if such elements are even PART of the story, much less needing to advance such a story, I am not interested. I turned off and erased American Gangster from my hard drive after watching the first 10 minutes of it.

The Aryan Brotherhood storyline ended with them getting their asses kicked. None of the clubs associate with them. In season 6, a small group is found by the MC and killed (in a nutshell, there's more to the story).

That story ALWAYS ends that way. ;) :P

The show also has some Latino and Black street gangs. This is a gritty show about gang life and organized crime but also about brotherhood, family, loyalty and betrayal.

Doesn't matter if they are black, Latino, Asian or even alien. I am not interested in gang life or organized crime, so it really wont matter to me who is playing in it or how much money and time is spent telling the story. I dont want to see any of it. Remember, this is just me personally...Im not indicting anyone who like this stuff. My brother LOVES these shows. I avoid gross gory horror as well, like Human Centipede, the Saw movies, anything with Hannibal Lechter in it, the Hostel movies, etc.

These stories have a lot of realism built into the story telling. When you're dealing with criminal elements, you're definitely going to hear words like spic, wop, nigger, whatever. It doesn't mean the main characters are about that nor that it's prevalent in the story.

EXACTLY! Which is why I dont watch that sort of thing. Im sure it is realistic, but I dont know anything about any of that stuff and so I am not interested in watching it. But I dont have anything to say about people who watch it, since I am the one in the small minority. :)

SOA grows on you. If you're gonna go into it with prejudices you will never enjoy it. All you're going to get out of it is some name calling a prison scene that somehow translates to the entire series for you and a bunch of asshole bikers.

That being said, it's absolutely fine that you don't like the series but describing it as a series filled with racism and prison culture is a false opinion based strictly on the impression of a couple episodes.

What was that my daddy drilled into my head? "You only get ONE time to make a first impression" :icon_cool:

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
Did you watch Strike Back yet? No antiheroes or gangs or meth labs.

dude just give up some lesser minds are just stuck in their moral brainwashing and traditionalist ideals of right and wrong with little to no grasp of REALITY and avoid anything real whenever possible stick their fingers in their ears and pretend they are in fantasy everything is made of chocolate and candy cane lala land.

and on the topic of fantasy GET YOUR FOOKIN ARSE IN GEAR ANDF WATCH GOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I don't say this very often, but GOT is better than the books.

Bluce Ree

dude just give up some lesser minds are just stuck in their moral brainwashing and traditionalist ideals of right and wrong with little to no grasp of REALITY and avoid anything real whenever possible stick their fingers in their ears and pretend they are in fantasy everything is made of chocolate and candy cane lala land.

and on the topic of fantasy GET YOUR FOOKIN ARSE IN GEAR ANDF WATCH GOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P

I will! I'm in Montreal until the new year. I hate the cold!!

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
indeed. works much better as a visual medium imo, books are kinda long winded.

He tends to jump around far too much in the books, without going far enough in any one instance. TV solves a lot of that by being able to take the chapters a little out of order to establish a far more "complete" sections.

Oh, and Bluce, TRY GOT :lol:

B

Backstep

He tends to jump around far too much in the books, without going far enough in any one instance. TV solves a lot of that by being able to take the chapters a little out of order to establish a far more "complete" sections.

Oh, and Bluce, TRY GOT :lol:

Seen the last 2 South Park episodes? :shep_lol: