Bottlenecking High End Puters

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
All I want from Windows is it to be able to play Flight Sim and other games . That's all . But whatever driver or drivers is messing it up is a real mystery . Kinda frustrating .

Here's my temps

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Just a 1,000 watts for a power plant? Considering I use a 350 watt on mine you seem to have everything covered. The less electricity running through your mother board is better when it comes to powering your fans. With a rig the size of the one you have got going, the fans might naturally run wild anyways, so on board control would be useless I am guessing. I think it might be easier to replace a fan then replacing a mother board and all of its peripherals.

Don't mind me, I am just doing a west coast chuckle on that one.

Your rj-45, ether net connection, seems to be running good in Mint so it can't be the main problem. Following your conversation it appears that Firefox runs like a dead dog in windows, but I can't remember if you mentioned that you have ever used IE.

There have been so many posts that I have forgotten who your internet provider is? Rogers - Cogeco - or something else? Or how about whether you are using a satellite
provider.

After taking several hours to get a secondary computer going I am starting to feel your pain. Good luck anyways.

Thanks for taking the time to go threw all that lol . My Internet is TechSavy . I guess they kinda jump along Rogers Infrastructure . It is cable , not phone line .
Also I am trying out IE . Speed seems ok right now but it did crash once already within 5 minutes of using it but it pulled itself back together and is running fine now .
Firefox is usually my fastest browser but recently in windows it has just become slow one day , then fast the next . Torch was really killing windows more so than Firefox . I've removed Torch and still have dropouts . My Internet speed seems fairly consistent .

This is the fifth or sixth PC I have built starting win Win95 and I never had trouble like this one is giving me . I was really hoping that buying all top of the line equipment I would be spared the hassle of having too weak a system to run my games but alas ,,,this bugger has been a tough go right from day one . Not sure if you read but I have replaced every single component in this unit other than the case itself and a few wiring connections and the sound card . The sound card is not the issue as I had removed it and still got the drop outs .

The mystery continues ...

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
How do I do run a packet trace ? Never heard of that . ?

Many IT guys swear by the Cisco tool, but I like SmartSniff. A packet trace tells you what is happening when your computer is connected to a network. Depending on what you are monitoring, you can see how long it takes for your computer to communicate with websites or other computers. They can be used for monitoring other types of network data. When you hear of people referring to "sniffers" or "pingers", they are probably referring to a packet trace program.

More simply, you can just open a command prompt in Windows and type tracert [ip or hostname here after a space] (Enter). It is a simple one, but it will tell you basic information and you can see how the speed looks as the trace information populates.

Some tools: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/smsniff.html

If you are unfamiliar with packet traces, your ISP Level 2 support has access to them and can tell you the same information without you having to do the work (:)). I run them to detect programs "phoning home" in Windows. I have used them in the past to monitor information being sent out of a mail server. They are networking tools.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Running the traces might help you see where the dropouts are occurring.

Maybe it's just me but I always see weird issues like this anytime I use AMD CPUs (and by extension their chipsets).
--- merged: Nov 9, 2014 at 12:32 PM ---
Many IT guys swear by the Cisco tool, but I like SmartSniff. A packet trace tells you what is happening when your computer is connected to a network. Depending on what you are monitoring, you can see how long it takes for your computer to communicate with websites or other computers. They can be used for monitoring other types of network data. When you hear of people referring to "sniffers" or "pingers", they are probably referring to a packet trace program.

More simply, you can just open a command prompt in Windows and type tracert [ip or hostname here after a space] (Enter). It is a simple one, but it will tell you basic information and you can see how the speed looks as the trace information populates.

Some tools: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/smsniff.html

If you are unfamiliar with packet traces, your ISP Level 2 support has access to them and can tell you the same information without you having to do the work (:)). I run them to detect programs "phoning home" in Windows. I have used them in the past to monitor information being sent out of a mail server. They are networking tools.

I also posted up directions on doing it from command in both Win and Linux.

Last edited by a moderator:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Thanks for taking the time to go threw all that lol . My Internet is TechSavy . I guess they kinda jump along Rogers Infrastructure . It is cable , not phone line .
Also I am trying out IE . Speed seems ok right now but it did crash once already within 5 minutes of using it but it pulled itself back together and is running fine now .
Firefox is usually my fastest browser but recently in windows it has just become slow one day , then fast the next . Torch was really killing windows more so than Firefox . I've removed Torch and still have dropouts . My Internet speed seems fairly consistent .

This is the fifth or sixth PC I have built starting win Win95 and I never had trouble like this one is giving me . I was really hoping that buying all top of the line equipment I would be spared the hassle of having too weak a system to run my games but alas ,,,this bugger has been a tough go right from day one . Not sure if you read but I have replaced every single component in this unit other than the case itself and a few wiring connections and the sound card . The sound card is not the issue as I had removed it and still got the drop outs .

The mystery continues ...

Wellll.......

Top of the line is not going to be AMD. :) Because the motherboard determines everything built upon it, choosing an Intel based board is always going to be a better choice for quality and durability. Im still caring for client machines which are Intel based and have been running continuously for more than 8 years. We are talking about old dual core pentiums. :). Your recipe for "top of the line" should look something like this:

• Intel motherboard
  • i7 Processor (8 cores) running at 2.5ghz or higher
  • At least 8gb RAM (you can run the same memory you already have for the AMD I believe)
  • NVIDIA-based graphics card (at least 1gb DDR3 video memory on card) with HDMI out and VGA (not DisplayPort or S-video). NO COMBO VIDEO AUDIO CARDS!

Intel boards will usually come with a high end gigbit NIC, decent onboard audio, 6-8 USB ports (at least two will be 3.0). Besides that, games LOVE Nvidia. Windows loves Intel and Nvidia. You are going to spend more money building an Intel rig, but it will last for at least 5 years and probably 10.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Running the traces might help you see where the dropouts are occurring.

Maybe it's just me but I always see weird issues like this anytime I use AMD CPUs (and by extension their chipsets).
--- merged: Nov 9, 2014 at 12:32 PM ---

I also posted up directions on doing it from command in both Win and Linux.

Me too. :). I have seen a few stable AMD rigs, but not many. The failure rate for them is astronomical. You will NEVER find an AMD based domain controller in the enterprise.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Pretty much all OSes love Intel a lot and nVidia also but not quite as much.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Wellll.......

Top of the line is not going to be AMD. :) Because the motherboard determines everything built upon it, choosing an Intel based board is always going to be a better choice for quality and durability. Im still caring for client machines which are Intel based and have been running continuously for more than 8 years. We are talking about old dual core pentiums. :). Your recipe for "top of the line" should look something like this:

• Intel motherboard
  • i7 Processor (8 cores) running at 2.5ghz or higher
  • At least 8gb RAM (you can run the same memory you already have for the AMD I believe)
  • NVIDIA-based graphics card (at least 1gb DDR3 video memory on card) with HDMI out and VGA (not DisplayPort or S-video). NO COMBO VIDEO AUDIO CARDS!

Intel boards will usually come with a high end gigbit NIC, decent onboard audio, 6-8 USB ports (at least two will be 3.0). Besides that, games LOVE Nvidia. Windows loves Intel and Nvidia. You are going to spend more money building an Intel rig, but it will last for at least 5 years and probably 10.

Yup . Thanks for that info . It is exactly what I am going to do during the winter . Rebuild this thing with Intel and get away from AMD .
So a new board , a new Intel Proccesor , and a new vid card . Just the three . I like three . Three it is . I'll see if I can get a few bucks for all my AMD stuff to offset the cost of building the Intel rigg .

:) :) :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yup . Thanks for that info . It is exactly what I am going to do during the winter . Rebuild this thing with Intel and get away from AMD .
So a new board , a new Intel Proccesor , and a new vid card . Just the three . I like three . Three it is . I'll see if I can get a few bucks for all my AMD stuff to offset the cost of building the Intel rigg .

Double check the DIMM speed and clock speed before using them. They should be compatible (all 16gb). The board itself just needs to be Intel based, not necessarily be branded by Intel. MSI makes good boards, as does Gigabyte. The board will tell you if it is Intel based or AMD based. You can slide with an i5 processor if you are planning to use that 16gb of RAM, and if you get a 2gb video card. Several ways to tackle it. But if you can swing it, an i7 processor and a 2gb Nvidia graphics card (even a 1gb) with DDR3, 4 or 5. Your case and power supply are already more than what you need. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yup. Also be sure the chipset is proper for the CPU and such.

For example:

This motherboard: Gigabyte® X99 GA-X99-UD4

and this CPU: Intel® Core™ i7 5820K 3.3GHz

work well together. Granted they are bleeding edge high end but an example nonetheless.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Those are both good CPUs. I believe they will work with an X99 based motherboard.

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan

It sounds very similar to this one. I assume it is in C$.

http://www.ncix.com/detail/intel-core-i7-i7-4790-haswell-c9-96200-1353.htm

By the looks of it you have a beautiful case, as well as a very proficient energy pot.

Good start in any case. Let's hope that it was not one of those ram chips that was causing you all that grief and disconcertation. I try to build a new computer every 2 years, but with my lousy fingers I go with the cheap parts in case I do a boo-boo.

Before you go with a 1150 package maybe you should investigate to see if Haswell is near the end of the line.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Haswell is. Broadwell will be out shortly.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Thanks for all the input kids . I've decided to just leave this system as is and just wait a bit to get the cash together to build a new one .
Maybe just use it for Linux only as it runs that just fine .

My new rig will have the latest Intel products . No AMD to be seen in the new one .

Thanks again .

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Thanks for all the input kids . I've decided to just leave this system as is and just wait a bit to get the cash together to build a new one .
Maybe just use it for Linux only as it runs that just fine .

My new rig will have the latest Intel products . No AMD to be seen in the new one .

Thanks again .

I would be happy to "Mc Guyver" it to run without too many issues. We will have to do some collaboration, but you can get it to work.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
image.jpg
This will be my PSU for my soon to be Intel system . I had it initially for my Asus case but like everything else in this system , it was replaced under warranty as the first one stopped working and I just went out and bought the 1000 watt unit as I could not wait long enough for the replacement . I can be impatient

Last edited: