Bottlenecking High End Puters

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Am I the only one who has never run an antivirus on Windows and also never got a single virus?

Same here. The problem is the whole "Windows viruses" thing has become a meme. Windows has not been super vulnerable to viruses since they put UAT into the OS starting with Vista.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Same here. The problem is the whole "Windows viruses" thing has become a meme. Windows has not been super vulnerable to viruses since they put UAT into the OS starting with Vista.

I agree but the environment is made too simple for users to get infected. This isn't even a question of which OS is more susceptible but which one better facilitates the infection process.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Nooooo.....

The paid version is a rebranded AV program which was acquired by the Avast developers. The free product is BETTER than the paid one by far. You can still use Secure Line if you have it. The paid version is shit. :( I need to work online with you.

No. :)

Interesting that the free one is better than the paid one . I have the paid version for 3 years and three computers .
I have read that about some of the programs they have produced such as Grime Fighter . It can mess up your puter big time worse than what malwarebytes done to mine .
Mint is working fine though .

:) :) :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I agree but the environment is made too simple for users to get infected. This isn't even a question of which OS is more susceptible but which one better facilitates the infection process.

If you have UAT set correctly (and you actually have to go and reset it not to work properly) the virus vector is effectively the same on Windows and *nixes because UAT is basically an implementation of Unix style process security. In order to actually get infected you not only have to download the virus but give it permission to run (as in supply admin password or equivalent ID). Really anyone dumb enough to do that in Windows is dumb enough to do it in Mac or Linux as well (based on experience in seeing users do exactly this in Ubuntu Linux and the only cleanup method usable was wipe and rebuild).

On the other hand, I have over a dozen friends running Windows and no virus problems whatsoever. They've been running it for years and they practice the basic "safe" rule - if UAT pops up the default response is not to allow access.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Interesting that the free one is better than the paid one . I have the paid version for 3 years and three computers .
I have read that about some of the programs they have produced such as Grime Fighter . It can mess up your puter big time worse than what malwarebytes done to mine .
Mint is working fine though .

The original Avast was developed by a group of programmers who were going to make it open source. Then another AV company purchased the code and their product (was not called Avast) was renamed to Avast Premium, and made proprietary. The cost paid for the development of the other product, and the free Avast is what is left of the original. But Im afraid it is going the route of Norton with the bloat. I dont need any grime fighter, I do not want to have to tell Avast that I do NOT want to send statistics to them, I dont need every single thing watched and monitored.

If you are just using Windows for gaming and basics, please get rid of all your scanners and security suites and anything beyond basic AV and malware protection. You could even get away with simply activating Windows Defender (already installed). The more stuff you have the less efficient your computer will be.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Cool OM1 ! . Thanks for that info . The things us local public get sucked into like myself . I wonder if the bloat with Avast Premium is the culprit for making my puter a pos in windows mode . Will uninstall it and get the freebie one and cancel all payments to premium . Save me a few bucks right there so I can put it towards my Super Intel machine that will be built this winter . And again I state that Linux is working brilliantly . So friggin fast , no drop outs any where’s .

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Screen Shot 12-03-14 at 09.39 AM.PNG

Got rid of Premium and behold . My Internet works again !!!. Freekin Awesome OM1 !!! Man you know your stuff !!!

Now to see about drop outs .

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Another thing to do is use System Configuration to customize startup and cut back the amount of stuff running in the background all the time. Things like Adobe and Apple for example constantly want to have stuff active in the background and have no real need for it.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
No more drop outs since loosing Avast Premium . I have 4 pages running and a movie and Torch running also . So that was my culprit . Evil Premuim and not the Asus AMD configuration .

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Joelist posted this

(As to Windows, being in dual boot should have zero effect on its bootup or performance. Is it a fresh Windows install into the dual boot or the pre-existing one? I ask because possibly the boot manager you're using could have played wrong with an existing Windows install and partly corrupted the boot sector/instructions.)

So how do I repair the boot sector ?

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Overmind One said:
What's going on with your rig now? Is the Windows side okay? My Windows partition is rock solid now. :) I play all my games on it.

Tripler said :
It's not to bad really other than windows taking forever to load and it still stalls everso slightly on startup . Since removing avast premium I have no more drop outs though I noticed netflix is still a little jerky duri playback . I'm guess the jerky is an AMD thing . I plan on overclocking the crap out of it soon . It can take it as thermals are not a problem with this case . 6 case fans and the Gelid Heatsink work great at keepin things cool . And its real quiet also .

Watching the puter build vids I noticed that the playback on my rigg is a little jerky also with Youtube . There are no more drop outs though .

Artificial Intelligence Is No Match For Stupidity

Last edited:

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Tripler said:
It's not to bad really other than windows taking forever to load and it still stalls everso slightly on startup . Since removing avast premium I have no more drop outs though I noticed netflix is still a little jerky duri playback . I'm guess the jerky is an AMD thing . I plan on overclocking the crap out of it soon . It can take it as thermals are not a problem with this case . 6 case fans and the Gelid Heatsink work great at keepin things cool . And its real quiet also .

OM1 said
It might be something else. You mentioned you have sniffers and other stuff installed in Windows. Did you remove them too? Run Windows as vanilla as possible.
--- merged: Dec 13, 2014 at 1:49 PM ---
Overmind One said:
I might be something else. You
mentioned you have sniffers and other stuff installed in Windows. Did you remove them too? Run Windows as vanilla as possible.
Just Avast Free and Secure line . Nothing else .

Tripler said
I think Windows did something when we put it to dual boot . I remember seeing a quick screen one time but the puter rebooted before I could see what it was and ever since it has super slow reboots in windoze but not in Mint . Wanna move this conversation back to my post of bottleneckin perhaps ? We've hijacked the original post on boutique puter builds lol !

Last edited by a moderator:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I've unistalled CCleaner and did a disk cleanup and still have a slow boot .

The only other thing that would do that would be if an external hard drive ois attached whilst you are booting. Windows will scan the contents of that entire drive before booting. If this is so, boot with drive not connected, then connect it after Windows has booted to the desktop.

I think this might be your problem?

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
The only other thing that would do that would be if an external hard drive ois attached whilst you are booting. Windows will scan the contents of that entire drive before booting. If this is so, boot with drive not connected, then connect it after Windows has booted to the desktop.

Tried that and it did not go well . It seems that the 4 terabite drive is somehow connected to linux and windows . Also the second ssd is involved here too . If I try to boot from the main ssd which has win7 on it , it goes straight into a rescue screen . It needs all 3 drives to boot into windows and linux . Crazy huh ! This could all be because I tried to reinstall win7 a few times . Found out ssd drives fill up real quick . You need to use secure wipe and not format an ssd as that will kill the ssd if you want to reinstall a new windows setup so I have read .

Tell you what . Once I build my new rigg I will completely secure wipe this all AMD rigg and make it only Linux . My new rigg will be Intel and just windows for flightsim . No dual boot as I won't need that with 2 riggs .

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Tried that and it did not go well . It seems that the 4 terabite drive is somehow connected to linux and windows . Also the second ssd is involved here too . If I try to boot from the main ssd which has win7 on it , it goes straight into a rescue screen . It needs all 3 drives to boot into windows and linux . Crazy huh ! This could all be because I tried to reinstall win7 a few times . Found out ssd drives fill up real quick . You need to use secure wipe and not format an ssd as that will kill the ssd if you want to reinstall a new windows setup so I have read .

Tell you what . Once I build my new rigg I will completely secure wipe this all AMD rigg and make it only Linux . My new rigg will be Intel and just windows for flightsim . No dual boot as I won't need that with 2 riggs .

With the power you have on that rig, you should be running Windows in a VIRTUAL machine. You could easily assign it whatever RAM it needs. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Probably just use Parted Magic or an equivalent utility and run the ATA Secure Erase command on the SSD. You can just conventionally format the mechanical HDD. At that point if you do a fresh full reinstall of Windows everything should be clean.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Probably just use Parted Magic or an equivalent utility and run the ATA Secure Erase command on the SSD. You can just conventionally format the mechanical HDD. At that point if you do a fresh full reinstall of Windows everything should be clean.

He can use Gparted from the Linux liveCD.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I don't see ATA Secure Erase on GParted's feature list. Specifically that is what needs to be run to restore an SSD to "new" condition as it flips the switch on every single cell in the SSD. If it is there then cool.