Bottlenecking High End Puters

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You, sir, are a wealth of knowledge and experience.

Thank you! Its just that I deal with these little things on such a regular basis. :) Dont you hate buying hardware that consistently causes problems? For me that would mean almost every D-Link PCI NIC. They always cause me headaches, especially the WiFi PCI NICs. That, and all AMD products. :) Those work great for a couple of years then it is time for a new board. The higher end ones are better though. That Netgear GA 311 is such a reliable card that I keep extras on hand, just in case.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Agreed. I learned long ago to stay away from AMD (and by extension ATI).

I've been thinking about doing a project next year of building a PC from scratch - I've done it in the past but it's been a while. The notion would be to wait for my bonus then see how ridiculous a screamer I can piece together on a fixed price point. It would also be next year so I could use a Broadwell CPU.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Agreed. I learned long ago to stay away from AMD (and by extension ATI).

I've been thinking about doing a project next year of building a PC from scratch - I've done it in the past but it's been a while. The notion would be to wait for my bonus then see how ridiculous a screamer I can piece together on a fixed price point. It would also be next year so I could use a Broadwell CPU.

I completely agree with you on AMD and ATI. The Radeons used to be great cards and when they work they are great. But eventually the little fan on them warps and/or stops working and the card fries. The passively cooled ones burn out even faster. What a waste! Yeah, they cost less than a similarly powerful Nvidia card but they dont last nearly as long. Tripler has a screamer machine. :)

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Yup . I'm thinking along the same lines that going all AMD was a huge mistake on my part . Live and learn .

The Netgear GA311 gigabit NIC is sold out and does not seem to be available in Canada computer outlets such as Canada Computers or NCIX .
I'll have to try an alternative one in the mean time .

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yup . I'm thinking along the same lines that going all AMD was a huge mistake on my part . Live and learn .

The Netgear GA311 gigabit NIC is sold out and does not seem to be available in Canada computer outlets such as Canada Computers or NCIX .
I'll have to try an alternative one in the mean time .

Not surprised. :) Order it online, it will be much easier to get. Many system administrators swear by that card (including me), so it is in high demand. YOUR particular AMD system is a screamer. :cameron21: It is high end, not like the crap they put in standard desktop machines. You have better guts in yours. But it is going to run hot so watch your thermals and you should be fine.

Last edited:

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Getting to the point of almost tossing my rig out the window with all it's issues ,( onboard sound ,,,gone , video playback still crappy , Sound card ,,,garbage and will now go in the recycle bin ) I decided to update the motherboard bios which went without a hitch accept for one little problem . Windows decided to go into rescue mode and the Minty Goodness of Mint works just fine . I actually find this to be quite hilarious . Windows goes and hides in the corner while Mint just hums along enjoying all that new technology that has been implanted onto the motherboard .
I have an idea what I need to do to get Windows to boot again so will be back in a few mins after I get it fingered out . Looks like a bit of resetting to do in the bios .

Still laughing or at least happy the motherboard did not fry itself . At this point I really didn't care any more if it melted itself .

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Getting to the point of almost tossing my rig out the window with all it's issues ,( onboard sound ,,,gone , video playback still crappy , Sound card ,,,garbage and will now go in the recycle bin ) I decided to update the motherboard bios which went without a hitch accept for one little problem . Windows decided to go into rescue mode and the Minty Goodness of Mint works just fine . I actually find this to be quite hilarious . Windows goes and hides in the corner while Mint just hums along enjoying all that new technology that has been implanted onto the motherboard .
I have an idea what I need to do to get Windows to boot again so will be back in a few mins after I get it fingered out . Looks like a bit of resetting to do in the bios .

Still laughing or at least happy the motherboard did not fry itself . At this point I really didn't care any more if it melted itself .

WAIT! Let me give it a go. Your board is okay. The problem is Windows. Things I cant do remotely:

Turn off TPM in BIOS if it is in there. Also look for something that says CSR Boot or Legacy Boot...disable it or choose CSR Boot only. Enable all onboard devices (LAN,Audio, NIC). Do not attempt to overclock your CPU even though the BIOS allows it. I will need to be on the phone with you. From Mint, see if you can see all of the NTFS files in the Windows partition. If you can, we can revive Windows. I can help you this weekend, but this week is full up at work. Sound good?

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
HEY OM1 :)
Just got back from my sons hockey practice . 13:17 hrs eastern standard time here though will be going back an hr tonight which I wish they would just put in the middle and leave it .

:) :) :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
HEY OM1 :)
Just got back from my sons hockey practice . 13:17 hrs eastern standard time here though will be going back an hr tonight which I wish they would just put in the middle and leave it .

When can we arrange to have a couple of hours? I may only need 30 min, but who knows? I have to work at the office later this afternoon.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Actually I'm good now if you can . I'm off to see the Evil Dead ,The Musical later tonight . My son loves the movies

HE washer just died so been dealing with that also .

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
I just disconnected my 4T HD and then went into the bios and put the Samsung SSD as the first boot . Windows booted this time and is in repair mode . It has just asked to restore which I said yes too . Might be ok huh !

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Seem to be back in windows now and able to boot into either OS . Woohoo !!!
My HE washer is not working but my puter now is .

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Seem to be back in windows now and able to boot into either OS . Woohoo !!!
My HE washer is not working but my puter now is .

EXCELLENT! What's an "HE washer"? :)

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
It won't drain the water anymore . I had it all apart , cleaned it , had it working last night with no clothes in it , but now it won't drain again . It's under warranty but we have to wait 6 days for service ...

31E5f-yc0PL.jpg

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
I don't know what this is ?
Screen Shot 11-01-14 at 03.12 PM.PNG
Screen Shot 11-01-14 at 03.12 PM.PNG

Attachments

• Screen Shot 11-01-14 at 03.13 PM.PNG
    Screen Shot 11-01-14 at 03.13 PM.PNG
    2.6 MB · Views: 131

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
I am now ready to throw this peice of crap Asus system out the window . Removed sound card . Un installed drivers for the sound card . Windows has once again found the onboard sound card after having been unable to find it befor bios update and repair mode .
This is how the computer is behaving now . Temps are fine everywhere . Side covers are not even attached to case .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 125

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
More and more the evidence points to the on board Ethernet . I ordering that Netgear GA311 gigabit NIC Ethernet card asap

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
More and more the evidence points to the on board Ethernet . I ordering that Netgear GA311 gigabit NIC Ethernet card asap

That will do the trick. :) But you also have to look at the fact that the onboard NIC is part of the board and it's failure might indicate an overall problem with the board. Have you matched the power supply to the board properly?