Bottlenecking High End Puters

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Go to the manufacturers website (the manufacturer of the motherboard). All of them have a BIOS flash utility. Some of them call it a Chipset Driver Utility or BIOS Update or something along those lines. If it has one of those "automatically detect: Java options, dont install that. I suggest downloading the Belarc Advisor, running that and then you will have a nice neat sheet or two containing every detail of your setup, links to the manufacturers website, the motherboard model and info on everything else. It is good to have as a tool for this.

If you want, this weekend is fine for you and I to hook up and I can help you. :)

Cool . Were doin our thanksgiving dinner today instead of Monday . Might have time tomorrow .
Thanks for all the help OM1 .
I'm still in the process of hunting down the culprit that makes my rig do drop outs .
It's quite the puzzle .

:) :) :)

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
As you can see from that video the puter drops out once a new page is open or if more tasks are input when scrolling down to look at the youtube comments of the video or opening a new page . Simple tasks but my top end rig acts like a fricken POS Dell computer which most certainly it is not ...
I've had this issue once windows does less than half of the updates during a new fresh install . My other puter which is only a 2 ghz Intel machine has none of these issues .

Attachments

• Screen Shot 10-10-14 at 04.38 PM.PNG
    Screen Shot 10-10-14 at 04.38 PM.PNG
    216.1 KB · Views: 123

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
What is the "real world" experience like? I cannot see any reason why anything you would decide to run wouldnt hum along nicely on that nice rig. :) Is there an issue you are trying to solve with something when it is running Windows?

It comes to a crawl sometimes or just stalls during gameplay . Video playback whether its a download or netflix can be jerky and the audio along with the video actually makes a burping sound . Yes it sounds like the audio is burping . When moving the mouse or opening more than one browser makes it stall also . At this moment I have torch running doing torrent downloads , also Firefox for this forum . The DPC Latency Checker is hitting the high notes quite often .

:( :( :(

Attachments

• Screen Shot 10-13-14 at 10.24 AM.PNG
    Screen Shot 10-13-14 at 10.24 AM.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 132

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Maybe this is a situation for a full wipe and reimaging? Back off the data, do a full HDD format and start again from scratch using the latest drivers for everything. If you did that and kept checking latency stage by stage as you put stuff on it it could make it easier to isolate the issue if it crops up again.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Full wipes are not a solution. Geek Squad and Apple stores go there. :). I suggest trying to see if USB audio is doing the same. I'm thinking this is driver related.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Maybe this is a situation for a full wipe and reimaging? Back off the data, do a full HDD format and start again from scratch using the latest drivers for everything. If you did that and kept checking latency stage by stage as you put stuff on it it could make it easier to isolate the issue if it crops up again.

Believe it or not but I've done that like 5 times now with the same results though I did not do the latency testing during those re-installs . Should I decide to start over again , I will do the Latency Check as you suggested .

Windows is doing something while updating itself as the drop outs don't become prevalent until it has done at least half of the updates . I just downloaded a new chipset update . I'll try that first . Maybe this will cure the prob ,,,

:( :( :(

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Full wipes are not a solution. Geek Squad and Apple stores go there. :). I suggest trying to see if USB audio is doing the same. I'm thinking this is driver related.

So am I. But sometimes the surest way to isolate a bad driver is to start from scratch and monitor as each item is added. It also helps show when two drivers are clashing with one another.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan

I agree with you also . But which driver ? From what I have noted is that when I disable the WLAN for the Internet , the drop outs disappear . When enabled the drop outs return . Of course this would be expected to some point as the internet varies with its speed but at the same time the computer should not become jerky and have mouse movement delays that it is having .

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
So i haven't given up and have kept at it with trying a multitude of steps and seem to have come to a point where I can kinda be happy with my high end rig . I found this site today and have tried a few of the suggestions and so far I seem to have reduced the drop outs quite a bit . Video playback is not jerky . Web pages open quickly with no hesitation and my latency checker will only spike when I have Torch running while doing downloads . On start up the audio and windows logo still stutters and spurt a bit . Better known as drop outs . I'll keep tinkering and see what else I can improve here .
The magor thing I think that has helped with the reduced drop outs is the disabling of the AMD Turbo Core Technology .
Screen Shot 10-21-14 at 04.21 PM.PNG

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
That actually makes sense. AMD Turbo Core is notorious for making the cores jump constantly to different frequencies, and the unpredictable changes in voltage and frequency cause bottlenecks in the pipeline leading to latency issues.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Also Torch is being a real prig as causing a lot of drop outs . The latency scale does not reline to the top anymore but I'm still getting drops .

Attachments

• Screen Shot 10-21-14 at 06.33 PM.PNG
    Screen Shot 10-21-14 at 06.33 PM.PNG
    87.1 KB · Views: 117

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
I'm also going to try one more trick . I'm going to purchase and install a pci Ethernet card . There not too expensive . Every single component has been replaced on this rig so one more item is not going to hurt . Would you guys have any suggestions as to which card I should look for ?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I'm also going to try one more trick . I'm going to purchase and install a pci Ethernet card . There not too expensive . Every single component has been replaced on this rig so one more item is not going to hurt . Would you guys have any suggestions as to which card I should look for ?

I would go with a Netgear GA311 gigabit NIC (you can get one at NewEgg). Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8 will see it and provide drivers. Dont forget to DISABLE the onboard NIC. Do it in the OS and not in the BIOS.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
I would go with a Netgear GA311 gigabit NIC (you can get one at NewEgg). Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8 will see it and provide drivers. Dont forget to DISABLE the onboard NIC. Do it in the OS and not in the BIOS.
Yup . Disable through device mamager correct ?
Thanks

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member

You, sir, are a wealth of knowledge and experience.