Blood And Chrome Watch and Discussion Thread

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
What has changed? I now like the Adama kid. IU like the introduction of the hot chick (cant think of her name). LOVE the visuals. Realistic like SGU, but with a better story to make the visuals more impactful. I like the way they are keeping the overall story incomplete. Makes it less predictabe and more like an adventure. I like this!

+1 ... except for the shaky cam. I hope they don't go overboard with it.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
It isn't and we've seen that, so, it's a moot point.

Without instruments in space the pilot is as good as dead unless his colleagues can locate and go to him/her. They're in space. A view port is a convenience, not a means to survival. You will never be able to navigate, or even fight, without instruments to guide you. It's not like flying a CESSNA over the Florida Keys in daylight. You're in space.

Regarding both points you're exactly right. What people are forgetting in this discussion is that we're talking about "windows" that are simply transparent areas of the ships bulkhead, hull, fuselage and/or cockpit. They are the same material as the surrounding alloy but the molecules have been manipulated in such a way as to allow for a specific area to become transparent. The structural integrity would be the same in all areas of that bulkhead though. The window would be as strong as the rest of the bulkhead. If a missile hits it it would be damaged the exact same as the surrounding "metal". Plus there's the added benefit of there being no seams which is where the integrity would be more easily compromised if you have two pieces riveted together. It would quite simply be one piece of metal that has an area that is transparent, that's all.

As for vipers and fighters having glass, again, it's a moot point. More than likely there would be a transparent area in the cockpit that may or may not be permanent. That would be up to the designers and how they install the instrument controls. It's doubtful that pilots would use a clear window for much navigation though. And no doubt there would be ways to manipulate it to shade and/or block out solar brightness. And it goes without saying that a solid piece of "metal" would offer better radiation protection than a riveted piece of glass. AND if anyone thinks that radiation wouldn't be an issue in space then we need to end this discussion and they need to go back to middle-school and re-take a basic physics class.

As for the loss of instrumentation we have to consider the fact that we're talking about ships operating in the vacuum of space. If the instruments go dead the pilot would be screwed unless they were say 100 yards away from the Galactica and they still had manual thrusters, then yeah, they could maybe limp back to the docking bay by using sight alone. Anything other than that and they'd be toast more than likely, windows or not. It wouldn't be like Sully Sullenberer landing an "injured" passenger jet by using his wits and know-how as he peers out of the windshield at the very obvious Hudson river below him. In the enormity of space you'd lose site of the Galactica very quickly. You would have to rely on instrumentation to get your bearings as there would be no Hudson river to guide you and the Galactica would, visually, be nothing but another dot of light in a "sky" full of dots of light.

Any civilization that is technologically advanced enough to have an armada in space is not going to use sight navigation for much of anything, if at all. It would be pointless and self-defeating. So much for Snoopy in space. :witless:

250182-snoopy-vs-the-red-baron-windows-screenshot-you-can-purchase.jpg

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
Even though Craig Engler says that the forums over on Syfy will be back I don't know about that. The Boards over at Syfy in the UK went black some time in September when they first started to televise "Continuum".

How long have they been down? I've had some thoughts about Face Off and Total Blackout that I haven't had time to post yet. :( :p

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
How long have they been down? I've had some thoughts about Face Off and Total Blackout that I haven't had time to post yet. :( :p

At the moment I am just talking about Syfy - U.S.

As far as I know they went down at least on last Monday if not Sunday as far as I can remember. Craig Engler mentions by-way of Twitter on the 5th that Craig Engler ‏@Syfy "We're working on a fix. Sorry for the problems!"

SciphonicStranger

At the moment I am just talking about Syfy - U.S.

As far as I know they went down at least on last Monday if not Sunday as far as I can remember. Craig Engler mentions by-way of Twitter on the 5th that Craig Engler ‏@Syfy "We're working on a fix. Sorry for the problems!"

Interesting, it looks like they have taken the Forums link off of their home page too. Too bad there is no way to tell those folks to come over here....

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Interesting, it looks like they have taken the Forums link off of their home page too. Too bad there is no way to tell those folks to come over here....

There is...our SEO here is top notch. Make a thread and the title is most emportant...call it Syfy Forums. Nothing else. Google will pick it up and post it because Syfy Forums are down. Dont add anything else to the title, just Syfy Forums. People looking for it will find the thread. :)

SciphonicStranger

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
ok so anyone keeping track of the ratings?

i am.

ok so 2 days after ep 1 was posted it has 1.2million views and note that these are not US only nor are they manufactured and bloated the way naielsen ones for tv are.

epode 2 has at this moment 372 000 views...

QUITE the gap wouldnt you say?
to me it looks like people gave the first ep a go then didnt bother with ep 2...

SciphonicStranger

i am.

ok so 2 days after ep 1 was posted it has 1.2million views and note that these are not US only nor are they manufactured and bloated the way naielsen ones for tv are.

to me it looks like people gave the first ep a go then didnt bother with ep 2...

And Stargate Universe - Distant Hope only has 9,820 views. It's just not fair I tells ya... :( :D

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
WTF? they got that many views? i thought it would be below 500 forever...

S

Stonelesscutter

i am.

It could be a lot of people watched the first ep soon after it came out and haven't gotten around to remember to look for more eps yet.

WTF? they got that many views? i thought it would be below 500 forever...

It's probably the same people putting the video on repeat over and over while they're busy doing lots of other stuff.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Not bad. Adama is not too young. Here I thought that they called him "Husker" because of his deep voice. Corn husker, as in a Tauron Dirt eater.

Nice start travelling back in time. Ha'lath'a, Graystone industries to start off as well as a letter from his dad. Whether Joseph is alive still is up in the air.

I smell more web episodes coming up if word of mouth is big time.

Joseph Adama should still be alive. If you remember from BSG-Lee Adama talks about his grandpa when Lee was a little kid. And that lawyer dude-the one who defends Baltar-was a clerk for Judge Joseph Adama. That guy was not very old so good guess would be he died not long before the setting of BSG.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Regarding both points you're exactly right. What people are forgetting in this discussion is that we're talking about "windows" that are simply transparent areas of the ships bulkhead, hull, fuselage and/or cockpit. They are the same material as the surrounding alloy but the molecules have been manipulated in such a way as to allow for a specific area to become transparent. The structural integrity would be the same in all areas of that bulkhead though. The window would be as strong as the rest of the bulkhead. If a missile hits it it would be damaged the exact same as the surrounding "metal". Plus there's the added benefit of there being no seams which is where the integrity would be more easily compromised if you have two pieces riveted together. It would quite simply be one piece of metal that has an area that is transparent, that's all.

As for vipers and fighters having glass, again, it's a moot point. More than likely there would be a transparent area in the cockpit that may or may not be permanent. That would be up to the designers and how they install the instrument controls. It's doubtful that pilots would use a clear window for much navigation though. And no doubt there would be ways to manipulate it to shade and/or block out solar brightness. And it goes without saying that a solid piece of "metal" would offer better radiation protection than a riveted piece of glass. AND if anyone thinks that radiation wouldn't be an issue in space then we need to end this discussion and they need to go back to middle-school and re-take a basic physics class.

As for the loss of instrumentation we have to consider the fact that we're talking about ships operating in the vacuum of space. If the instruments go dead the pilot would be screwed unless they were say 100 yards away from the Galactica and they still had manual thrusters, then yeah, they could maybe limp back to the docking bay by using sight alone. Anything other than that and they'd be toast more than likely, windows or not. It wouldn't be like Sully Sullenberer landing an "injured" passenger jet by using his wits and know-how as he peers out of the windshield at the very obvious Hudson river below him. In the enormity of space you'd lose site of the Galactica very quickly. You would have to rely on instrumentation to get your bearings as there would be no Hudson river to guide you and the Galactica would, visually, be nothing but another dot of light in a "sky" full of dots of light.

Any civilization that is technologically advanced enough to have an armada in space is not going to use sight navigation for much of anything, if at all. It would be pointless and self-defeating. So much for Snoopy in space. :witless:

View attachment 7821

And then there is the whole thing of gunpowder fueled projectiles in space--I am not even a 'beginner' in physics:nonchalance: but I have often read that as a criticism of shows like BSG and others....

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
So where is this "officially" playing? YT? How clever and cheap of SyFy if so. Anyhow just glad I can see it. I keep checking from time to time on Syfy on air to see if it is advert'd but can't stomach the stuff like "video deathmatch" and "haunted collector" or whatever...thanks for posting:icon_e_biggrin:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I need to call a spade a spade here. The (re)creator of NuBSG thought it would be really "neat" and "cool" to mix retro with future-tech. They have wireless inter-ship comm but wired, old-style intra-ship comm. They have ships with extremities that make no sense (i.e. Raptors with high-reaching twin tails).

Their evolutionary timeline has nothing to do with Earth's, whether those events took place before us or after us. It's all relative within the species' evolutionary scale. They're vastly more evolved than us technologically. The fact they have jump-drive technology implies a much deeper, more thorough and more evolved understanding of physics that is so far beyond us that our knowledge would seem somewhat stone-age in comparison. You don't get to that level of mastery of the elements by skipping everything in between. So, no, it actually makes no sense at all that they'd be using glass on warships, fighter ships or any other spacefaring vehicle but especially on vehicles that engage in battle.

The only reason they use glass instead of a strong, transparent material is simply because the writers thought it would be a cool idea. I honestly have a problem with retro-fitting and diminishing future tech to make seemingly "really cool stories".

ok-b4 i go any further i am trying to remember who the "savages" were last time itried to write something about BSG:calm: So if I offend or whatever, sorry.

as for the 'retro tech', if you remember from part 1 of bsg pilot, when the "soon to be revealed cylon skin job dude" is giving the BSG tour, he points out that all of the old BATTLESTARS were fitted with non-networked comm's and computer systems because they found out early in the war that the cylons were using the human networking to destroy them (makes you wonder how the cylons used "V-world" to rake up the casualties). So when the fleet was built in ernest it was with old systems. Hey Greystone Industries probably made a killing selling them the retro tech!

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
what for? so we can get a stupid fanboi perspective? and some one to back you up for no reason but to perpetuate this ditzy argument you have going?

:facepalm:

Stupid fanboy perspective?! Well gee thanks for the warm welcome..makes me remember what I've been missing!:icon_e_surprised: And no, I found this by myself..you see I got an email telling me some silly fanboy/girl had made a new posting to the "who is responsible for the end of stargate' thread, talking about ditzy arguments:drunk:

But thanks Omni-your a heck of a guy/girl! So warm, fuzzy and friendly.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
what part of your ass did you pull this from? this has NEVER been stated or hinted towards in the shows or canon.

a more plossible REASON they had more puter sceens and $#@! on caprica AND on galactica at the time of B&C is that they still use networked computers and cylon firwall/viruses has only now (B&C) gotten to the point were this is a real issue, this is just specualtion but to me it makes sence seeing as they were so shocked to see the archeron blow to $#@! so easily, i suspect that this issue is what the pilot deals with at its core.

do we really have to go back and watch BSG and CAPRICA to see what Graybrew is talking about? "plossible"-funny!

Bluce Ree

ok-b4 i go any further i am trying to remember who the "savages" were last time itried to write something about BSG:calm: So if I offend or whatever, sorry.

as for the 'retro tech', if you remember from part 1 of bsg pilot, when the "soon to be revealed cylon skin job dude" is giving the BSG tour, he points out that all of the old BATTLESTARS were fitted with non-networked comm's and computer systems because they found out early in the war that the cylons were using the human networking to destroy them (makes you wonder how the cylons used "V-world" to rake up the casualties). So when the fleet was built in ernest it was with old systems. Hey Greystone Industries probably made a killing selling them the retro tech!

The issue in this thread wasn't so much the on-board tech but the use of glass viewports.

By the way, welcome back! :) We missed ya around here.

Bluce Ree

And then there is the whole thing of gunpowder fueled projectiles in space--I am not even a 'beginner' in physics:nonchalance: but I have often read that as a criticism of shows like BSG and others....

Damn! Good catch! That one hadn't even occurred to me. :D