Blood And Chrome Watch and Discussion Thread

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Just in the middle of ep #1. Not bad for a web series. One beef, though. Transparent aluminum is a reality today. Why would they be using glass view ports?

Bluce Ree

I really wish they'd shitcan the shaky cam, though. It was a cool fad when they first did it in the BSG remake pilot but it really wears thin fast for me.

G

Graybrew1

Just in the middle of ep #1. Not bad for a web series. One beef, though. Transparent aluminum is a reality today. Why would they be using glass view ports?

NuBSG is based before us. Caprica before that and B&C in the middle.

The series finale(NuBSG) of the very last part of their story showed them landing on our Earth and the last scene showed that they were in Times Square modern day and had integrated into our society. Earth men were just starting to evolve when they landed and gave up all the their tech and spread out and settled into our world.

It makes perfect sense to me that they would not have different aspects of some of our tech.

The original show was different and had them from our Earth and looking to get back to it. In NuBSG they were originally from a different Earth and just gave up in the end and made "our earth" their "earth" by naming it so. It was one of my favorite twists of NuBSG.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Writing flaw. The writers lack the ability to think "futuristically" about technology. Their focus is on the drama aspects mostly and the rest is secondary although, obviously, there are technological aspects that they do cover. The "window" thing really is a dropped ball when it comes to the science aspects of the show though. It's a no-brainer that "windows" on space ships would have the same structural integrity as the surrounding bulkheads. And one would assume that they would be seamless.

G

Graybrew1

Writing flaw. The writers lack the ability to think "futuristically" about technology. Their focus is on the drama aspects mostly and the rest is secondary although, obviously, there are technological aspects that they do cover. The "window" thing really is a dropped ball when it comes to the science aspects of the show though. It's a no-brainer that "windows" on space ships would have the same structural integrity as the surrounding bulkheads. And one would assume that they would be seamless.

But they are not in the future..........they are from another planet (their Earth) and our past a very very very long time ago.

Bluce Ree

NuBSG is based before us. Caprica before that and B&C in the middle.

The series finale(NuBSG) of the very last part of their story showed them landing on our Earth and the last scene showed that they were in Times Square modern day and had integrated into our society. Earth men were just starting to evolve when they landed and gave up all the their tech and spread out and settled into our world.

It makes perfect sense to me that they would not have different aspects of some of our tech.

The original show was different and had them from our Earth and looking to get back to it. In NuBSG they were originally from a different Earth and just gave up in the end and made "our earth" their "earth" by naming it so. It was one of my favorite twists of NuBSG.

I need to call a spade a spade here. The (re)creator of NuBSG thought it would be really "neat" and "cool" to mix retro with future-tech. They have wireless inter-ship comm but wired, old-style intra-ship comm. They have ships with extremities that make no sense (i.e. Raptors with high-reaching twin tails).

Their evolutionary timeline has nothing to do with Earth's, whether those events took place before us or after us. It's all relative within the species' evolutionary scale. They're vastly more evolved than us technologically. The fact they have jump-drive technology implies a much deeper, more thorough and more evolved understanding of physics that is so far beyond us that our knowledge would seem somewhat stone-age in comparison. You don't get to that level of mastery of the elements by skipping everything in between. So, no, it actually makes no sense at all that they'd be using glass on warships, fighter ships or any other spacefaring vehicle but especially on vehicles that engage in battle.

The only reason they use glass instead of a strong, transparent material is simply because the writers thought it would be a cool idea. I honestly have a problem with retro-fitting and diminishing future tech to make seemingly "really cool stories".

Bluce Ree

But they are not in the future..........they are from another planet (their Earth) and our past a very very very long time ago.

They are, relatively speaking, far more advanced than we are. They are ages ahead of us on an evolutionary scale, which means they've made advancements and have acquired knowledge that is still many, many, many years away for us. You can't compare them to us on an equivalent timeline basis.

Bluce Ree

Especially on vehicles that engage in battle. You'd think they'd be reinforced rather than just using the same quality Gorilla Glass used on a smartphone.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I need to call a spade a spade here. The (re)creator of NuBSG thought it would be really "neat" and "cool" to mix retro with future-tech. They have wireless inter-ship comm but wired, old-style intra-ship comm. They have ships with extremities that make no sense (i.e. Raptors with high-reaching twin tails).

Their evolutionary timeline has nothing to do with Earth's, whether those events took place before us or after us. It's all relative within the species' evolutionary scale. They're vastly more evolved than us technologically. The fact they have jump-drive technology implies a much deeper, more thorough and more evolved understanding of physics that is so far beyond us that our knowledge would seem somewhat stone-age in comparison. You don't get to that level of mastery of the elements by skipping everything in between. So, no, it actually makes no sense at all that they'd be using glass on warships, fighter ships or any other spacefaring vehicle but especially on vehicles that engage in battle.

The only reason they use glass instead of a strong, transparent material is simply because the writers thought it would be a cool idea. I honestly have a problem with retro-fitting and diminishing future tech to make seemingly "really cool stories".

This exactly. Being able to make selectively transparent bulkheads would be a given with a culture that far advanced in other aspects of physics.

G

Graybrew1

They are, relatively speaking, far more advanced than we are. They are ages ahead of us on an evolutionary scale, which means they've made advancements and have acquired knowledge that is still many, many, many years away for us. You can't compare them to us on an equivalent timeline basis.
You absolutely can. They are a completely different race than us.

Bluce Ree

You absolutely can. They are a completely different race than us.

Physics. Elements. You can't get from A to E without going through B, C and D. Sorry, but that's just complete nonsense and it doesn't even take a degree in physics to argue that point. The universe and its elements don't change from race to race. If they can open a hole in space to instantly travel light years, they would not be using glass on view ports.

G

Graybrew1

Too bad Syfy forms are still down. I will send a PM to Yong when they come back up. He will get a kick out of this thread. I would love to get his viewpoint on this since he is huge huge fan of all things BSG.

G

Graybrew1

Physics. Elements. You can't get from A to E without going through B, C and D. Sorry, but that's just complete nonsense and it doesn't even take a degree in physics to argue that point. The universe and its elements don't change from race to race. If they can open a hole in space to instantly travel light years, they would not be using glass on view ports.

That is again, your opinion. You are twisting concepts to make a point. I do hope that if we do meet some tech advanced race from another planet someday you don't lecture them about their failures to have ALL of our tech too. You might wish to watch some eps of Sliders. Many of those universes are more advanced in some areas and completely lacking in others.

G

Graybrew1

Sigh.................I disagree.

Why(bolded parts) because you deem that so?? These comments are opinions. They do have a "neat" and "cool" retro mix with future-tech, but they don't have to have ALL our tech. I don't see any ipods or microwaves either. They do come from a completely different planet. Let's go back to Caprica. They had cooler stuff holo-bands and robots as butlers, but how do they make their microwave popcorn? :tongue-new: They are also during wartime and have been for 10 years too, that Transparent aluminum might not be readily available due to shortages because of the war.

OTOH, Who is to say by the way that their glass is not far superior to ours? Just because it looks the same does not mean it is.

The NuBSG universe is a mix of Us and Them. They believe in Gods not God. They are very ritualistic, which is something that is more attributed to less developed races. B&C is during a time when they started to devolve and no longer the uber tech advanced people that they once were on Caprica, by the time NuBSG happens you will never see half the tech they had on Caprica.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Again, this, exactly. They also wouldn't use glass on vipers. What would be the point? They're in the vacuum of space where any hull breach would be death for the guy flying the thing. Sure they might have a transparent view port but the pilot would fly and navigate using instrumentation, not just by eyeballing things.

G

Graybrew1

Again, this, exactly. They also wouldn't use glass on vipers. What would be the point? They're in the vacuum of space where any hull breach would be death for the guy flying the thing. Sure they might have a transparent view port but the pilot would fly and navigate using instrumentation, not just by eyeballing things.

Two things:

Their "glass" could be a thousand times stronger than ours.

What happens when the instruments fail?? This way they would still stand a chance.

Bluce Ree

Sigh.................I disagree.

Why(bolded parts) because you deem that so?? These comments are opinions. They do have a "neat" and "cool" retro mix with future-tech, but they don't have to have ALL our tech. I don't see any ipods or microwaves either. They do come from a completely different planet. Let's go back to Caprica. They had cooler stuff holo-bands and robots as butlers, but how do they make their microwave popcorn? :tongue-new: They are also during wartime and have been for 10 years too, that Transparent aluminum might not be readily available due to shortages because of the war.

I'll put it as simply as I can then I will just give up.

Without the wheel, we wouldn't have mobile, land-based transportation, which led to the horse and buggy. Without fire, we wouldn't have combustion. Without combustion, we wouldn't have the engine. Horses were replaced by more efficient means of propulsion, made possible due to combustion. Without combustion, we wouldn't have been able to fly. We fly because we discovered aerodynamics and how to propel a flying vehicle across long distances, which also led to aerodynamic designs of other vehicles not related to flight. Aerodynamics gave us the understanding we needed for low orbital flight then space flight. All this was made possible due to our understanding of the physics to make all this possible.

We would not have had space flight if we never managed to invent a car engine, or even the wheel, for that matter.

This isn't some wild-eyed baseless opinion. You cannot get from A to E without going through B, C and D and discovering what's in between, even if what you discover in B, C or D has little to do with what was achieved in E.

OTOH, Who is to say by the way that their glass is not far superior to ours? Just because it looks the same does not mean it is.

It cracks and breaks easily when something impacts it.

The NuBSG universe is a mix of Us and Them. They believe in Gods not God. They are very ritualistic, which is something that is more attributed to less developed races. B&C is during a time when they started to devolve and no longer the uber tech advanced people that they once were on Caprica, by the time NuBSG happens you will never see half the tech they had on Caprica.

The NuBSG universe is a contrived piece of nonsense created for the sole purpose of telling a story the way the writer wants to. This kind of garbage would fly just fine during the H.G. Wells era but sending travelers to the moon in a tin can and having them walk around without pressurized suits today is the stuff of children's books, not hardcore scifi, as is glass view ports on ships capable of hyperspace travel.

Bluce Ree

Two things:

Their "glass" could be a thousand times stronger than ours.
It isn't and we've seen that, so, it's a moot point.

What happens when the instruments fail?? This way they would still stand a chance.

Without instruments in space the pilot is as good as dead unless his colleagues can locate and go to him/her. They're in space. A view port is a convenience, not a means to survival. You will never be able to navigate, or even fight, without instruments to guide you. It's not like flying a CESSNA over the Florida Keys in daylight. You're in space.

G

Graybrew1

I'll put it as simply as I can then I will just give up.

Without the wheel, we wouldn't have mobile, land-based transportation, which led to the horse and buggy. Without fire, we wouldn't have combustion. Without combustion, we wouldn't have the engine. Horses were replaced by more efficient means of propulsion, made possible due to combustion. Without combustion, we wouldn't have been able to fly. We fly because we discovered aerodynamics and how to propel a flying vehicle across long distances, which also led to aerodynamic designs of other vehicles not related to flight. Aerodynamics gave us the understanding we needed for low orbital flight then space flight. All this was made possible due to our understanding of the physics to make all this possible.

We would not have had space flight if we never managed to invent a car engine, or even the wheel, for that matter.

This isn't some wild-eyed baseless opinion. You cannot get from A to E without going through B, C and D and discovering what's in between, even if what you discover in B, C or D has little to do with what was achieved in E.

It cracks and breaks easily when something impacts it.

The NuBSG universe is a contrived piece of nonsense created for the sole purpose of telling a story the way the writer wants to. This kind of garbage would fly just fine during the H.G. Wells era but sending travelers to the moon in a tin can and having them walk around without pressurized suits today is the stuff of children's books, not hardcore scifi, as is glass view ports on ships capable of hyperspace travel.

You don't like BSG. Millions and millions of others disagree with you.

That glass was not real. It was a virtual test created to make obstacles to work through.