BATMAN vs SUPERMAN

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I think I am wrong about his lisp. I cannot support my claim, and I have now watched several interviews of him. No lisp! I'm just burned out on him.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
And...while it had a big Friday (before the word really got out) it also had one of the worst drops from Friday to Sunday in boxoffice history, losing 58% over the weekend.

I heard it was THE worst drop.

http://collider.com/batman-v-superman-box-office-record/

This, despite the fact that for Warner Bros, it is the second highest grossing premiere behind Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2. In China, there was a similar drop.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Usually films go up day over day in their opening weekend. When it goes the other way you know you're in trouble.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
And...while it had a big Friday (before the word really got out) it also had one of the worst drops from Friday to Sunday in boxoffice history, losing 58% over the weekend.

Interesting. I saw a report saying it had a great opening weekend (biggest March opening ever) and I wondered what was going on. Last I heard it made $170 M. No idea what the cut off point is for this franchise but I suspect the studio has too much sunk into it to abandon the other stuff they have planned.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Friday was big but Sat and Sun it way underperformed. Normally when you do 89 million on Friday the weekend total is around 250 million or so not the roughly 160 million it did.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Friday was big but Sat and Sun it way underperformed. Normally when you do 89 million on Friday the weekend total is around 250 million or so not the roughly 160 million it did.

I wonder what that portends for the future of the Justice League franchise.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I suspect it portends them handing the keys to someone other than Zack Snyder. His overly dark and moody style is a large part of the issue (also poor writing).

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I suspect it portends them handing the keys to someone other than Zack Snyder. His overly dark and moody style is a large part of the issue (also poor writing).

Maybe we'll get some primary colors in the next film.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Yes! Most every review speaks to that. They say that Snyder is "preoccupied" with darkness and despair. One reviewer said the ideas came out of a "teen emo's diary". :anim_59:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
OMG....I just watched this. Just....I don't know where to begin. I should write a review, but to do that I would have to include some significant spoilers so I won't. The action and special effects overwhelm this movie. Like dropping a steak into a vat of steak sauce and pulling it out dripping wet before eating it. :facepalm: From beginning to end, it tramples all over Superman and Batman canon, as well as Wonder Woman canon. It's just all wrong. It has none of the feel of previous Batman movies or Superman movies, and this Wonder Woman is an entirely different character than the one we know. These superheroes were not well matched in the movie. It's just...it's a good popcorn movie to see ONCE, (maybe twice with some time between). I was disappointed, even with lowered expectations.

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
You wasted money going to see it?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You wasted money going to see it?

For this? :) I already knew it would suck. Let's put it this way...I was in my living room when I watched it. :). There is a good one out there.

:piratebay:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It now owns another record:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme...ges-record-81-for-15-35m-friday/#3b41b3c235dc

A jaw dropping 81.2% drop from opening weekend to weekend #2.

200_s.gif

It has to make you think...why is the production chain at Warner Bros. so out of touch with the audience for these type of films? How come nobody in the chain stops them and says "Hey, having Batman throwing Superman around like a ragdoll is not working in this". Or, "There is too much flash-bang and not enough story in the movie". Huh? Why is this SOOOOO HAAAARD for them? Somebody should have seen it coming. DC Comics would actually have done this movie in the comic books, and it would fly off the stands. But in this movie it came off like a cartoon mixed with a kaiju film trying to be an Avengers film. It was flat as far as the story goes. They could have muted out the dialogue altogether and just had exploding sounds and booms and flashy effects for two hours.

It's really bad. Loud, flashy and really bad.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
At its current pace his film will actually lose money. It is estimated that with the production, marketing and other outlays plus of course giving the theaters their part of the take it needs to have a boxoffice in excess of 800 million to break even.

DC needs to look at why Marvel's films are successful and learn. They would see things like:

- Actually developing characters

- Proper balance in the tone of the film

- Balancing story and action

And so on and so on.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
At its current pace his film will actually lose money. It is estimated that with the production, marketing and other outlays plus of course giving the theaters their part of the take it needs to have a boxoffice in excess of 800 million to break even.

DC needs to look at why Marvel's films are successful and learn. They would see things like:

- Actually developing characters

- Proper balance in the tone of the film

- Balancing story and action

And so on and so on.

They do not understand the audience, and they took way WAY too much leeway with the iconic characters and the backstory. You can definitely see the money in the film, but it was not well spent. It was "unbalanced" as you say.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Something else I noticed that makes the whole DC superhero thing so much different than the Marvel crew...secret identities. Besides Spiderman, none of the Marvel superheroes have secret identities. They do not pretend to be somebody else who then becomes the superhero. Everybody knows who they are and what they are. They revealed Iron Man in the beginning. In this movie, you have the ridiculous barbs being tossed between Bruce Wayne and Clark Kent and Lex Luthor, yet Lex does not recognize Batman or Superman, and Batman and Superman don't recognize each other? Clark wears glasses, Superman does not. I wear glasses. Do people fail to recognize me when I am not wearing them? I hope not! Wonder Woman is basically herself in both modes. She has elegant gowns and such, but she is a standout in them because they are high couture and she is seen in aristocratic circles. As Wonder Woman, there is no difference except for the costume and her nifty new god powers. At the end during a funeral (I aint tellin!), Bruce and Diana are at graveside and they talk as though they don't know who each other are as a superhero. And that funeral, it's a huge headbang what that is about.

It's just all wrong.

EDIT: Let me say this, Gal Gadot did the hell out of her little part towards the end of the movie. She was not just a walk on after the action, she was in the big battle and she made Batman look like a weakling (he was butthurt throughout the movie and Affleck did a bad job).

Wonder Woman needs to be the next movie from DC, hands down. Do not introduce any more superheroes (like Aquaman who was not in this movie). Go right to Wonder Woman and EXPLAIN her. We do not know this Wonder Woman. Her whole mythos is changed, evidently. And the new powers she is displaying put her on a level even above Thor, but still below Superman. She could hold her own against the USS Enterprise-E armed to the hilt. She even has SHIELDS (well, A shield). It evidently protects against anything. And now she has a magic sword which can slice through anything, including Krypton beings. And she can almost fly. She can leap at speed and fly for distances but not like Superman. I found her interesting, but only in her own right and not with the other two schmoes.

Last edited:

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
it'll probably go to DVD soon and I'll see it then (for free from the library). You know we are buying a lot of old movies these days - I recently bought "How to marry a millionaire" and the original "yours mine and ours". hollywood sucks these days. :P

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
it'll probably go to DVD soon and I'll see it then (for free from the library). You know we are buying a lot of old movies these days - I recently bought "How to marry a millionaire" and the original "yours mine and ours". hollywood sucks these days. :P

They are calling it "The Best Worst Film Ever". LOL!

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...cially-the-best-worst-film-ever-a6957796.html

Excerpt:

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice is officially the best worst film of all-time after setting a record opening for such a badly-reviewed movie.

Zack Synder’s superhero face-off grossed over $420 million at the global box office
icon1.png
over its debut weekend to be named the biggest ever opener of its genre.

But now it has another, more dubious accolade under its belt: it is the first film to rake in at least $150 million on its opening weekend while holding a “rotten” rating on reviews aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes. It is also one of just five live action movies to have grossed more than $100 million on its opening weekend with a rating lower than 30 per cent.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Their big problem is the drop from its opening weekend (which was mostly ad fueled) has been terrifying. Per Boxofficemojo week 2 wound up being down 69.1% from week one.....